Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#654965 - 01/16/11 09:05 PM Rays Boathouse wild steelhead
tmr360 Offline
Smolt

Loc: Bellevue/Whidbey Island
Went to Rays last night and they continue to have wild steelhead from the Queets as their special. I would encourage a letter or phone call.

#654980 - 01/16/11 09:29 PM Re: Rays Boathouse wild steelhead [Re: tmr360]
Bob Offline

Dazed and Confused

Loc: Forks, WA & Soldotna, AK
I'll try to get a note off to them tomorrow, hope many do the same!

"You CANNOT fix stupid!"

#655102 - 01/17/11 02:13 AM Re: Rays Boathouse wild steelhead [Re: Bob]
mikelz85 Offline
Fry

Loc: Seattle WA
you know, having worked at a restaurant, I wonder how much of this is the restaurant actually serving wild steelhead, and how much is them lying and calling hatchery steelhead 'wild' steelhead to dress up a menu. Unless of course you can't serve either, in which case I'm totally wrong. Hopefully either way they aren't wild fish.

#655109 - 01/17/11 02:36 AM Re: Rays Boathouse wild steelhead [Re: mikelz85]
Clackman Offline
Fry

I definitely think that the majority of restaraunts and stores that are selling "wild" steelhead or salmon are actually selling hatchery fish....if you're outside the fishing community anything not raised in a pen and actually grows naturally is "wild". I'm sure plenty of native fish still make it to the plate courtesy of the OP tribes though.....

#655139 - 01/17/11 10:05 AM Re: Rays Boathouse wild steelhead [Re: Clackman]
Dave Vedder Offline
Reverend Tarpones

Loc: West Duvall
I do not think a gillnet can tell the diffrence between a hatchery or wild fish.

#655158 - 01/17/11 11:45 AM Re: Rays Boathouse wild steelhead [Re: Dave Vedder]
tyeedog Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Port Ludlow
so did you eat there anyway...

#655162 - 01/17/11 12:10 PM Re: Rays Boathouse wild steelhead [Re: tyeedog]
STRIKE ZONE Offline
GOOD LUCK

Loc: Hobart,Wa U.S.A
Annual mid winter chit.Good luck,
SZ

#655172 - 01/17/11 12:47 PM Re: Rays Boathouse wild steelhead [Re: STRIKE ZONE]
IrishRogue Offline
Poon it! Poon it! Poon it!

Loc: Yarrow Point
"Wild" means "not farmed" in the vast majority of commercial contexts, and to the public. IMO, "Native" is the word to use when talking to vendors like Rays about your concerns -- because they are pre-programmed with what "Wild" means to them.

#655193 - 01/17/11 02:01 PM Re: Rays Boathouse wild steelhead [Re: IrishRogue]
Larry B Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: University Place and Whidbey I...
"Wild" effectively means both "hatchery" and "native" because:

1. Tribal steelhead fishers do not practice selective harvest and
2. Buyers/retailers do not look for a missing fin......nor do they want to

It's the person who has done nothing who is sure nothing can be done. (Ewing)

#655315 - 01/17/11 08:11 PM Re: Rays Boathouse wild steelhead [Re: Larry B]
Notime2 Offline
Eyed Egg

I don't post often, but as a former president of the Ballard Chapter of Trout Unlimited, Ray's boathouse Restaurant supported sportsmen by allowing us to raise in the net pen next to the restaurant, blackmouth and coho until the state stopped the blackmouth program. Eventually we ran out of younger volunteers and the coho releases ended around 2002. Again Ray's maintained the dock and ramp for the net pen. Many anglers reaped the rewards in the central sound because of Ray's support!

Notime2

#655321 - 01/17/11 08:46 PM Re: Rays Boathouse wild steelhead [Re: Notime2]
Bob Offline

Dazed and Confused

And they should be thanked for such ... but they also need to understand the impacts of commercial harvest of these fish.

"You CANNOT fix stupid!"

#655323 - 01/17/11 08:51 PM Re: Rays Boathouse wild steelhead [Re: Bob]
Man of logic Offline
Spawner

Loc: the moon
Yes, If they so readily lent a hand the past, then they should be receptive to our current concerns.

#655326 - 01/17/11 09:10 PM Re: Rays Boathouse wild steelhead [Re: Man of logic]
Bob Offline

Dazed and Confused

And there was probably a regular contact ... so if still there, might be the one to approach?

"You CANNOT fix stupid!"

#655453 - 01/18/11 10:42 AM Re: Rays Boathouse wild steelhead [Re: ]
Captain Q Offline
Spawner

Loc: Seattle, WA
They have a Facebook page as well.

Ray's on Facebook

#655497 - 01/18/11 01:38 PM Re: Rays Boathouse wild steelhead [Re: Captain Q]
ned Offline
Spawner

Loc: MA 5, 9, 10
Cut-n-paste if it helps you get an email out:

To Ray's:
I’m writing to discuss your sale of steelhead on the menu. At this time of year, both hatchery (origin) and native wild steelhead swim into the rivers to spawn. Many of these wild runs are struggling for survival, and several are listed as “Endangered” on wildlife tracking lists. The nets that harvest these fish do not discriminate on which fish they catch, and the Dept. of Fish and Wildlife does a horribe job of requiring harvest methods that protect these wild runs of fish. By participating in the market, Rays is promoting distruction of a resource that identifies Washington, and is valuable to the state's recreational economy as well.
To me, Ray’s means GREAT seafood, but please adjust your menu to support more viable, responsible fisheries. Please take steelhead off the menu.
Thanks for considering this suggestion, and helping Washington support Ray’s.

#655498 - 01/18/11 01:42 PM Re: Rays Boathouse wild steelhead [Re: ned]
ned Offline
Spawner

Loc: MA 5, 9, 10
Wow, fast response back...less than 2 minutes so Ray's definitely had this ready to go:

From Rays:
"Thank you for your concern regarding the Olympic Peninsula Steelhead that we are currently offering as a special in our restaurant. We agree 100% with your position that serving unsustainable, endangered and threatened fish is damaging to the future of wild fish and our environment. We actively support organizations, such as Long Live the Kings and Puget Soundkeeper Alliance, who work toward preserving our natural resources.

The Olympic Peninsula Steelhead that we are serving has been sustainably caught by the Quileute Tribe from the Quileute River and purchased through Key City Fish. The Steelhead is a combination of both hatchery and wild stock that has spawned naturally. Since November 1, 2010, we have served about 134 fish. Many Steelhead populations are indeed endangered or threatened and should absolutely be completely avoided, such as those on the California Coast, Oregon Coast, Snake River, and Puget Sound. However, the Olympic Peninsula Steelhead population is healthy, robust and absolutely not threatened. For confirmation of this please visit NOAA’s website at: http://www.nwr.noaa.gov/ESA-Salmon-Listings/Salmon-Populations/Steelhead/.

The Quileute Tribe is closely partnered with the Washington Department of Fish & Wildlife to aggressively manage this fishery. The state and tribe worked together to produce the Salmon Stock Inventory (SaSI) in 1992. The SaSI is a critical document for wild fish recovery and definitively identifies the status of each wild stock in categories ranging from extinct to healthy. The state and tribe actively works with citizens to catalogue details about habitat and map fish stock distributions. I can assure you that everyone involved, from tribe to state to restaurant, has a vested interest in the preservation of this fish.

There is considerable conflict between sport and commercial fishermen regarding the regulation of steelhead fishing and we completely understand the frustrations of both sides. We want to stress, though, that the Olympic Peninsula Steelhead we have served was sustainably and legally caught according to the regulations set forth by the Washington Department of Fish & Wildlife and is not endangered or threatened according to NOAA’s National Marine Fisheries Service.

Ray’s Boathouse would absolutely never serve endangered or threatened fish. Thank you for your feedback. Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Best,

Peter Birk, Executive Chef | Ray’s Boathouse, Café & Catering

6049 Seaview Avenue NW | Seattle, WA 98107

206.789.3770 | www.rays.com | rays@rays.com

#655499 - 01/18/11 01:44 PM Re: Rays Boathouse wild steelhead [Re: ned]
SkykomishSunrise Offline
Juvenile at Sea

This is what I received a couple of minutes ago from the executive chef at Ray's Boat House:

Thank you for your concern regarding the Olympic Peninsula Steelhead that we are currently offering as a special in our restaurant. We agree 100% with your position that serving unsustainable, endangered and threatened fish is damaging to the future of wild fish and our environment. We actively support organizations, such as Long Live the Kings and Puget Soundkeeper Alliance, who work toward preserving our natural resources.

The Olympic Peninsula Steelhead that we are serving has been sustainably caught by the Quileute Tribe from the Quileute River and purchased through Key City Fish. The Steelhead is a combination of both hatchery and wild stock that has spawned naturally. Since November 1, 2010, we have served about 134 fish. Many Steelhead populations are indeed endangered or threatened and should absolutely be completely avoided, such as those on the California Coast, Oregon Coast, Snake River, and Puget Sound. However, the Olympic Peninsula Steelhead population is healthy, robust and absolutely not threatened. For confirmation of this please visit NOAA’s website at: http://www.nwr.noaa.gov/ESA-Salmon-Listings/Salmon-Populations/Steelhead/.

The Quileute Tribe is closely partnered with the Washington Department of Fish & Wildlife to aggressively manage this fishery. The state and tribe worked together to produce the Salmon Stock Inventory (SaSI) in 1992. The SaSI is a critical document for wild fish recovery and definitively identifies the status of each wild stock in categories ranging from extinct to healthy. The state and tribe actively works with citizens to catalogue details about habitat and map fish stock distributions. I can assure you that everyone involved, from tribe to state to restaurant, has a vested interest in the preservation of this fish.

There is considerable conflict between sport and commercial fishermen regarding the regulation of steelhead fishing and we completely understand the frustrations of both sides. We want to stress, though, that the Olympic Peninsula Steelhead we have served was sustainably and legally caught according to the regulations set forth by the Washington Department of Fish & Wildlife and is not endangered or threatened according to NOAA’s National Marine Fisheries Service.

Ray’s Boathouse would absolutely never serve endangered or threatened fish. Thank you for your feedback. Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Best,

Peter Birk, Executive Chef | Ray’s Boathouse, Café & Catering

6049 Seaview Avenue NW | Seattle, WA 98107

206.789.3770 | www.rays.com | rays@rays.com

Bill McMillan

#655501 - 01/18/11 01:52 PM Re: Rays Boathouse wild steelhead [Re: SkykomishSunrise]
Fast and Furious Offline
River Nutrients

Imagine that, a form letter written by a tribal pitch man. Dont hang all your hopes on the Sasi. Many of those numbers havent been updated in nearly a decade.

So what does it take to raise the escapement level and get the fish listed?

#655503 - 01/18/11 01:54 PM Re: Rays Boathouse wild steelhead [Re: Fast and Furious]
Brant Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Seattle
Anybody have a link to more current data to respond to them? Seems like an email to Ray's would be more affective if I had differing data to put in it.

#655505 - 01/18/11 01:57 PM Re: Rays Boathouse wild steelhead [Re: Brant]
IrishRogue Offline
Poon it! Poon it! Poon it!

Loc: Yarrow Point
Well the Queets is different than the Quileute... I'm not an expert, but we collectively look dumb when we get our rivers wrong.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Carcassman, Clipfin, Danny Clyde, Dannyboy, dk1948, Twitch
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1004 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645361 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |