Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#67947 - 08/13/02 07:36 PM Deep Lake!!
Big Bad Voodoo Daddy Offline
Spawner

Loc: Enumclaw
Leave the boats at home boys, deep lake is hot for kokes! I got my limit today at scorching mid-day in 2 1/2 hours! Slip bobbers and go deep!

#67948 - 08/13/02 07:43 PM Re: Deep Lake!!
NewBieFishermen Offline
Parr

Loc: Kent
Sounds like fun, what were you using? Also what kind of size did they have? Any parts of the lake better then others? Thanks in advance for the info.

#67949 - 08/14/02 09:26 AM Re: Deep Lake!!
Busy Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Bellevue
BBVD - how about a little more information for those that don't know about this fishery. Like how, where etc. Never fished for kokes before but would like to learn.

#67950 - 08/14/02 11:02 AM Re: Deep Lake!!
SalmonFisherJeff Offline
Smolt

Isn't Deep Lake the one between Blk. Diamond and Enumscratch? If so, it's a good fishery. Have had plenty of success there. Didn't go there this year though as my Dad obtained a 17' boat and went to American Lake and Spanaway Lake. Then started Salmon fishing on Elliott Bay.

Get Hooked!

#67951 - 08/17/02 11:32 PM Re: Deep Lake!!
Spawner

Sorry guys!! I havent been on here for awhile! Yes, it is the one between black diamond and Enumclaw. Its off the Veazie Cumberland road.

I personally LOVE to use slip bobbers out here, and my best is a limit of kokes in 2 1/2 hours. Beat that with another method, and I'm all ears.

With the slip bobbers all you really need is to find the magic depth. I've been as low as 30 feet with them and as shallow as 8 feet. Find that depth though, and the kokes come fast.

Good look!

Curtis

#67952 - 08/19/02 02:53 AM Re: Deep Lake!!
SalmonFisherJeff Offline
Smolt

BBVD,

I troll Deep Lk. using pop gear, red diamond ring, white powerbait maggot and a chunk of nightcrawler to cover the hook from the maggot to about 1/8th of an inch below the barb. Pretty good setup. Can't tell you how fast I troll. We don't have the Fish Finder's speed sensor set up correctly.

When I let out line, I pull out about 20' of line (give/take a few feet for non accurate measure).

Get Hooked!

#67953 - 08/19/02 02:56 AM Re: Deep Lake!!
SalmonFisherJeff Offline
Smolt

BBVD,

Forgot to mention to have a bullet style weight just ahead of the swivel for the pop gear (can't remember the ounce rating though.

Get Hooked!

#67954 - 08/21/02 03:01 PM Re: Deep Lake!!
Spawner

How do you tell if you have a bite with pop gear? I havent used it much, but when i did, the action of it drove me crazy. especially since i use a UL now.

#67955 - 08/21/02 09:49 PM Re: Deep Lake!!
SalmonFisherJeff Offline
Smolt

BBVD,

If you've fished with a downrigger (i.e. the pole bent and pulsating tip action) popgear kinda makes the pole act as if it's on a downrigger, albeit you're not as deep. When the fish nail the wedding ring (not diamond ring as previously posted), Pwr Bait and worm combo, you'll know - trust me! Just remember to keep an eye on the tip! You'll recognize a bite the 1st time a fish hits the lure. Try it a couple times, you might like it! I'm sold on trolling now.

I used to anchor the boat and fish with an egg hook, Not anymore. Trolling will outfish the alternative most of the time.

SFJ

Get Hooked!

#67956 - 08/21/02 10:46 PM Re: Deep Lake!!
Matt S. Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Northwest
Big bad voodoo Daddy. Would you be so kind to tell me, what you've been using under that slip bobber. You don't have to if it's a big secret, or you can just e-mail it to me. Mattsturza@attbi.com. Thanks

#67957 - 08/21/02 11:38 PM Re: Deep Lake!!
Spawner

worm and power bait usually. Sometimes a salmon egg, if nothing else works. If I have power eggs, I'll slip one on. Colors that work well for me are green, orange, red, and yellow. Brown, purple, white, and blue havent worked well for me yet. Mostly just remember to combine. I always have a small piece of worm on there.

I plan on buyin a new ford fender tomorrow and taking the boat out. Thanks for the info!

I do agree on trolling. Ever since I started, I havent used my slip bobbers as much. They just arent as productive for me. The kokes are slowing down for some reason. Tomorrow... Tomorrow is the day of ford fenders for me laugh

By the way, whats the difference between a diamond ring and a wedding ring?

#67958 - 08/21/02 11:40 PM Re: Deep Lake!!
Easy Limits Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Nisqually
I give up, what is the difference between a diamond ring and a wedding ring?

Was that a joke? laugh

#67959 - 08/22/02 01:01 AM Re: Deep Lake!!
SalmonFisherJeff Offline
Smolt

When I posted my message that mentioned 'diamond ring', I meant Wedding ring lure. At the time I posted it, I couldn't remember the correct name but knew there was an object that had a 'diamond ring' like object in the center of it. My bad! Sorry to confuse everybody!!!!!!!!

~SFJ

Get Hooked!

#67960 - 08/22/02 01:54 AM Re: Deep Lake!!
BASSER Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Tacoma Wa,
Quote:
whats the difference between a diamond ring and a wedding ring?
ABOUT FIVE THOUSAND DOLLARS

When your done with one of them you can keep our house. eek

If you have a diamond ring you don't get to use your wedding ring as much. laugh

Use your wedding ring too much and you don't need a diamond ring. :p

#67961 - 08/22/02 08:30 AM Re: Deep Lake!!
Busy Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Bellevue
Basser, not if you go with CZ! wink laugh

BBVD - what kind of launch is available for this lake? Good enough to launch boat with trailer? (17ft)

#67962 - 08/22/02 01:02 PM Re: Deep Lake!!
F F F Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Kent
BBVD, Ford Fenders? Are you serious? Know why it's called a Ford Fender? Cuz it's like reeling one in when you hook up. I hate the Ford's, or even regular popgear. They make you lose fish after fish and take forever to reel in. And, YES, i've been laughed at cuz i use my down rigger for Kokes, can you believe that? It's all good though, cuz i sure wipe the smiles off the peoples faces when they see my catch.

What i think is scary is people fishing with 4oz of lead, a full length ford AND a snubber. The heartbreak these people must go through, losing fish after fish. But i must admit i did use this setup my first time koke fishing. But i quickly learned from that disastrous fish losing nightmare.

The best setup i have ever used is a trout/koke snubber(not the sergical tubing with the dacron in the center) 5" or 6" half brass half crome les davis flasher(with shrimp oil on it) and half of a red wedding ring on a 14-18" leader with a size 12 or smaller trebble hook tied on the end tipped with maggots. I fished this side by side with my G/F's pole last week in montana and i landed 7 of 8 and she got 2 of 10 on the standard popgear and wedring. The popgear and lead let the hooked fish swim all over eratically behind the gear, but the popgear and lead rarely moved because of the drag as you reel in. So in reality the fish can swim in any direction to dislodge the hook, and can do it easier because it now has a stationary point to pull from. It's just like fighting a fish with your drag way too tight. Rip.

Also kokes tend to nip at your bait so this gave me the idea of a very small treble and flasher and almost every fish was hooked at the very front of the jaw, right on the lips with 2 hooks in the bottom and one in top along with no popgear drag, they were not getting away! And i think the short leader with the flasher enticed them more with the jerking action it gave the wedring. The wedring was actually the blade half the body then the ring then the hook. Keeping the ring down at the bait was the whole idea. Just adding twinkle to your maggots.

Like i said i hate popgear and fords. So i was just giving you guys some ideas if your arms get tired or you get tired of missing bites and losing fish, no bragging here, it's just that koke fishing had stumped me for a while, and now it seems easy, or easier, so i passed on some info trying to help out.

How big were those Kokes you say? That's not too far from me and has caught my interest. And like BUSY said, hows the launch??? I write too much.

#67963 - 08/22/02 08:17 PM Re: Deep Lake!!
SalmonFisherJeff Offline
Smolt

FFF,

I use popgear and haven't lost many fish at all. Most of the time it's because I don't set the hook properly. I also use a rubber band to minimize some of the shock from an overpowering hook set so as not to rip the fish's mouth off. I darn near limit everytime with popgear. I guess some people have all the luck.

SFJ

Get Hooked!

#67964 - 08/22/02 10:33 PM Re: Deep Lake!!
Fishboy5 Offline
Parr

Loc: Battle Ground, WA
If you don't have a down rigger, do you need lead-core line to get your bait down?

#67965 - 08/22/02 10:48 PM Re: Deep Lake!!
Easy Limits Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Nisqually
Try using a wedding ring with two single hooks instead of one. I never loose fish with a wedding ring with two single hooks and the worm stays on better.

#67966 - 08/23/02 01:03 AM Re: Deep Lake!!
Spawner

The boat launch is PRIMITIVE. You have to carry your boat down to the lake pretty much... about 40 feet or so. Its kinda nice though cause no big boats come in. Also no gas motors allowed.

I tried a small troll (i didnt want those HUGE blades i saw on the fender pack) and still hate it. I switched to my wedding ring again and did a little bit better. Went to Kanasket after that and made it all better by releasing two bows, one a 7 inch, the other 12 inch.

If you do decide to get out there, tell me when ya go so we can meet up and i can see you work your magic firsthand laugh

Good luck!

Curtis

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Schmidtm, schmidty, Spinhead
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 391 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63781 Topics
645410 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |