Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#596777 - 04/25/10 03:25 PM Re: The Ultimate Hangback (vid) [Re: ondarvr]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

Thanks for the feedback on the sockeye "takes"... certainly NOT a hangback mechanism at work there.

Pretty interesting that they find the bare hooks so attractive. I would think something sparkly like Krystal Flash tied sparsely to the hook would look more like shrimp feelers/antennae.

"If you don't kill them, they will spawn." (Carcassman)

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#596798 - 04/25/10 08:00 PM Re: The Ultimate Hangback (vid) [Re: eyeFISH]
cohobankie Offline
Juvenile at Sea

What would be a good way to rig a hangback to a spoon?

#596804 - 04/25/10 08:51 PM Re: The Ultimate Hangback (vid) [Re: cohobankie]
ondarvr Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Spokane WA
I can't say that using anything on the hook really helped, it seemed that about the same number of fish came after the bare hook as a decorated one.

#596836 - 04/26/10 12:03 AM Re: The Ultimate Hangback (vid) [Re: cohobankie]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

Originally Posted By: cohobankie
What would be a good way to rig a hangback to a spoon?

I tied a reverse Nushagak knot in 40# Max UG with a 5" loop exiting forward thru the hookeye of a mooching hook. I then put the loop into the trailing split ring.

Then I got to thinking how much chafing that would undergo over the course of a fishing day.

A better plan is to use the loop to tie a Palomar to a Duolock snap. This eliminates chafing and gives you the full strength of doubled 40# Max UG to the hook.

Snap the entire hangback rig onto the butt end of the spoon. VOILA!

Looks killer in the pool!

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#596875 - 04/26/10 03:17 AM Re: The Ultimate Hangback (vid) [Re: ondarvr]
Achewter Offline

Loc: N of Seattle
Quote:
Originally Posted By: Achewter
cool vid but it's miss titled. that's a King

LOL! Hmmmm. I've been fishing in Alaska now for almost 20 years and have caught a lot of salmon and that one was definitely a silver. At least it was when I got it in the boat.

It's kind of a joke around here. I believe you.
We fish where we need to release a lot of the fish we catch down here. Not hooking a fish inside of the mouth is a bit of the goal.

#596876 - 04/26/10 05:02 AM Re: The Ultimate Hangback (vid) [Re: eyeFISH]
Coho Dave Offline
Egg

Originally Posted By: eyeFISH
95%-plus of all the biters I hook are "flossed" with the LONG trailing hook (just like the coho in your video) and end up hooked from the outside in somewhere in the maxilla or mandible.

The problem is the fish was actually hooked INSIDE the mouth and not from the outside in like you say. I remember it very well because I was really surprised to see the hook inside its mouth.

I don't know about Washington laws, and I have no qualms about snagging fish where legal, so don't get me wrong, but where I fish the law states that the fish has to be "hooked in the mouth" (exact wording from the regs), so it doesn't matter much what the fish was "willfully" trying to do. I wish it was like that here because I've thrown back some nice fish that have been obviously hooked elsewhere in their body.

#647691 - 12/24/10 05:16 PM Re: The Ultimate Hangback (vid) [Re: bushbear]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

Originally Posted By: bushbear
...and how far back off a spoon would you run the leader/hook set-up...

Hey bb, just curious, any feedback on how the hangback spooning went this last year.

I had excellent success once I figured out I need a minimum of 50# Max UG to prevent chew offs.

Never did deploy any of the hangbacks with double 40# to palomar to snap that I described and played around with pre-season. Gotta remember that next year.

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#684089 - 05/20/11 02:19 AM Re: The Ultimate Hangback (vid) [Re: eyeFISH]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

Hangback spoons produced admirably in the ocean, inside the jaws, as well as upriver. EVERY fish strategically hooked from the outside in without a single mortal bleeder in the bunch!

I am definitely sold!

The 2011 hangback spoon season starts in earnest on June 18 for me.... can't wait!

Attachments
10-01-10 Farrer 16.5# coho headshot.jpg

10-03-10 Randy spoon king.jpg

10-03-10 Randy spoon king in the bag.jpg

10-08-10 FVE king release 2.jpg

10-17-10 Team eyeFISH FVE closing cluster.jpg

11-21-10 hootchie spoon platinum coho headshot.jpg

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#684127 - 05/20/11 12:47 PM Re: The Ultimate Hangback (vid) [Re: ]
bushbear Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Sequim
Doc

I missed your post/question last winter. Being a creature of habit, I didn't try the set-up. I will be trying it this year, though. I've got an idea I need to play with. If it works, I'll let you know.

#684142 - 05/20/11 01:42 PM Re: The Ultimate Hangback (vid) [Re: bushbear]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

BTW the setup in the pics is 50# Max UG snelled to a sickle then tied to a stout barrel swivel. A mini hoochie was slipped over the barrel swivel and the whole works was then attached to the stock split ring on the spoon.

FYI rigging hangback removes much of the direct mass from the butt end of the spoon that would normally slow the action down a bit. Adding the swivel/hoochie helps to compensate for that by restoring mass to the butt end.

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#684167 - 05/20/11 03:56 PM Re: The Ultimate Hangback (vid) [Re: eyeFISH]
The Moderator Offline
The Chosen One

Loc: Tuleville
Originally Posted By: eyeFISH
Someone on Ifish postulated that this might be the mechanism for the Lake WA sockeye fishery.

Don't know if this is what is happening for those that use the pair of bare hooks on a short/snappy leader behind a flasher for these fish. OTOH, I generally tend to look at where the hooks are, and I don't recall every seeing any were I'd say "Yup, that one was flossed for sure!"

But, I can say that this is NOT happening when one uses a Michael Bait behind a hotspot, trolled as fast as humanly possible, as all of the lake fish are gaffed up in the mouth, through the eye, through the tongue, with a big 2/0 siwash hook.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Carcassman, Clipfin, Danny Clyde, Dannyboy, dk1948, Twitch
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (wolverine), 1007 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645362 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |