THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#689839 - 06/20/11 02:54 PM Re: Let's all stop bitching for a while. [Re: djsmith46]
Mystical Legends Offline
Spawner

Loc: Des Moines NOT Seattle
Originally Posted By: djsmith46
Originally Posted By: stlhead
Kind of like listening to a rich CEO tell the minions how good they have it.

Ding ding ding. We have a winner. Dave gets to travel around and experience all the "good", "positive" aspects of the PNW. Meanwhile many of us are busy fishing the same declining local streams etc. Many of the streams he helped exploit. I probably wouldn't be bitching either if I could afford to have my head in the sand. Yippeee!

Don't know about that. In the last couple weeks I've limited on Summer Steel, Chinook in both fresh and salt water caught trout to 12 pounds. Hell even caught a few Kokes and a ditch pickle or two. Not a Turd Slurper chaser but there's plenty of them around too. Freezer has a bunch a of local Hali, Ling, Cabazon in it from the last few week as well. Didn't have to travel far from my door step to do that. I have a lot of things to bitch about and there being a lack of fish to catch around here is not one of them.

#689840 - 06/20/11 02:55 PM Re: Let's all stop bitching for a while. [Re: djsmith46]
Wild Chrome Offline
Spawner

Loc: The Tailout
I've been in the PNW for 15 years now. 2 things that are different here:

1) A ton of outdoor opportunities, including lots of fishing and hunting. Granted, a lot has been lost, but a lot still exists too.

2) Some of the most cynical people in the country.

#689845 - 06/20/11 03:01 PM Re: Let's all stop bitching for a while. [Re: ]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
Being upset and discouraged at a lot of the scraps we have to fight over right now is part and parcel of working on the fisheries and the resource...but I try to not let it affect my enjoyment when I'm out there trying to catch a few, and around here I get a chance to go out and try and catch a few pretty much as often as I want, year 'round.

Hard to complain about that part of it, that's for sure!

Fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#689854 - 06/20/11 03:44 PM Re: Let's all stop bitching for a while. [Re: Todd]
Carcassman Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Olema,California,Planet Earth
And part of the complaining is about what it could be. That, and since the mantra (and data) seem to suggest that it was better back when, we need to keep what we have and recover as much as we can of what we've lost.

#689855 - 06/20/11 03:44 PM Re: Let's all stop bitching for a while. [Re: Todd]
stlhead Offline
River Nutrients

"I'm mainly just jelous that Dave is out there playing ... while I have to work"

Bingo! Mr. Globetrotter living the life of Riley telling all of us working slobs we should be happier. It's just more twisting of the knife like his pics of Russia, or Chile, or wherever. I hate living through him!

#689857 - 06/20/11 03:49 PM Re: Let's all stop bitching for a while. [Re: Todd]
DrifterWA Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: East of Aberdeen, West of Mont...
As a life time Washingtonian, while I agree with Dave on the amount of things we can do and for sure the beauty of much of the State....I remember the "gooder days" also. I wouldn't move to many parts of the USA because I'm a "outdoorsie type person", and love to be on a river, or enjoying a sunrise or sunset, driving to Ocean Shores or Westport just to "see the ocean".

I really do worry about the amount of resources that will be available for my grand kids. I tend to be "not very positive" when I see the netting schedules in Region 6, and the sports community that wants to enjoy a dwindling salmon and steelhead fishery......wow, when will the "rape of the resource slow down"?????? I just don't see an end!!!

Retirement is good......just wish there was more like the "gooder days".

Edited by DrifterWA (06/20/11 03:51 PM)

"I thought growing older, would take longer"

#689868 - 06/20/11 04:21 PM Re: Let's all stop bitching for a while. [Re: ]
Dave Vedder Offline
Reverend Tarpones

Loc: West Duvall
Thanks Hank,

When ya get here I will take you out fishing. Most of the stuff I was talking about in my original post is available right here in western WA.

We really do have an awful lot left here, and much of it is easily accessible at little cost other than gas.

The time thig is huge and I trul;y feel sorry for you who cnat find time to egt out more. I know how that goes.

I try to stay off the water on weekend. I know for many that's all the time you gewt. it was for em for more than 35 years

#689875 - 06/20/11 04:49 PM Re: Let's all stop bitching for a while. [Re: ]
Sebastes Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Monroe,WA.
I realize a lot of the comments about Dave and his adventures are in jest.

What a lot of folks here on PP is that Mr. Vedder worked very hard at jobs he didn't enjoy to put food on his table and build toward retirement. Whatever he has, he earned. Dave's getting into the outdoor writing world many years ago has given him an opportunity to enjoy many of the trips he writes about here.

I have been fishing regularly with Dave a couple of times a month or more for about 20 years so know that some of these trips seem like a dream deal, but a lot of hard work goes into getting these opportunities.

Having lived in Washington for 45 years I can say things were simpler and better with few limitations on outdoor activities. I can remember when salmon fishing was basically a year-around activity and bottom fish were abundant in Puget Sound.

These things have changed, but that doesn't mean there are not many activities to enjoy. Things were gooder back then with some resources, but we need to adjust to today and enjoy it. We also need to work to improve our resources where it can be done.

If I were to seriously gripe about something, and I have, it would be the closer of many small streams and beaver ponds where in the past I spent hundred of hours catching cutthroat trout. Last year's regulation change concerning any waters connected to waters that had anadromous fish was a real blow to my fishing hopes and plans. Most of these creeks I use to fish saw very little fishing activity so were not overfished.

Edited by Sebastes (06/20/11 07:31 PM)

#689881 - 06/20/11 05:05 PM Re: Let's all stop bitching for a while. [Re: Sebastes]
stlhead Offline
River Nutrients

Come on. He began fishing with 24K gold spoons and Beluga caviar below a cultured pearl.

#689890 - 06/20/11 05:44 PM Re: Let's all stop bitching for a while. [Re: Dave Vedder]
lukesfishin Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: evt
No joke, too many places to fish all at once.

I know a couple folks who wanna 'move outa this shithole' I tell em good, move. Or go outside for a minute, even in the rain its an awesome state, rain makes the state green so let it rain!
Couldn't imagine living anywhere else, well maybe AK or kamchatka

#689894 - 06/20/11 06:07 PM Re: Let's all stop bitching for a while. [Re: lukesfishin]
Man of logic Offline
Spawner

Loc: the moon
for sure. Too many of my friends want to go see the world, when they don't even know what's in their backyard. Sure even myself has seen some of washingtons lush resources disapear, but the continuing ones fuel my passion for the land.

I feel like I show my respect and gratitude by holding a regard for the condition of the resource too. I am greatful when I catch a fish, have a wonderful seafood dinner, or hear my friends and family tell me that I make the best smoked salmon in the world. I hold eternal gratitude for the intrinsic rewards it gives, and the variety this land has to offer. I would feel very hypocritical to blindly hold this passion without regard or the desire to know the livelyhood of what I love so much.

Now that I know these things, there is a need. Without pain, comes no change. I want that day of most pungent pain to never come, and the inevidable change it intails, to happen today. Despite how positive I am, in the end it is action that makes a difference.

If you're worried about negativity in online forums, don't be. What happens on the internet doesn't matter in real life.

#689919 - 06/20/11 08:08 PM Re: Let's all stop bitching for a while. [Re: Man of logic]
Driftfish Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Spanaway
I think its a great point that Dave makes, the problem is people become so focused on one species they become blinded. I have watched salmon and Steel head go down over the past 25 years bringing more disappointment with each trip. This has been a wake-up making me realize that catching a bucket full of perch, stringer full of walleye, catch and releasing 100+ small mouth a day and on and on is still fun fishing. I might add that the stress level of lake and freshwater fishing is about as low as it. No racing to be the first at the launch, paying 13+$ to just put the boat in, breathing smoke, farts and big mouths rubbing elbows at the rivers not missed. Worrying about a forgot pinched barb or punched salmon, getting crossed by another boat, Don't get me wrong love to fish salmon and steel-head but realizing that the other fishing opportunities can be a great time and relieve stress on you and the salmon stocks.

#689926 - 06/20/11 08:48 PM Re: Let's all stop bitching for a while. [Re: Driftfish]
One Way Offline
Call me Sir

Loc: San Rafael, Ca. & Whidbey Isla...
All I have to do is look out my window over MA-9 to see how fortunate all of you who live in Washington have it. Count your blessings all of you and go see what is available, there is always something!

#689978 - 06/20/11 11:41 PM Re: Let's all stop bitching for a while. [Re: Dave Vedder]
Salmo_Gairdneri Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Snohomish
Originally Posted By: Dave Vedder

So far this summer I have caught huge Kokanee, stocker trout, geoducks, steamer clams, crab, salmon, lingcod, halibut and rockfish. And summer hasn't officially arrived!

This morning I had a geoduck and Dungeness omlette. This afternoon I'm off to the icicle for chinook than to Lake Chelan for Lake Trout and Kokanee.

I hear you - but guess what. I'm targeting these things now too (as are many). Count the days to even shorter ling seasons etc.

too many people, too few fish.

fun though, chasing the tail ends of seasons not quite done.

-S

#689981 - 06/21/11 12:00 AM Re: Let's all stop bitching for a while. [Re: Salmo_Gairdneri]
JDarr Offline
President- Oregon 20 Club

Thanks for that rant Dave... I was just starting to really get depressed with being single, living in my own house alone, and having about 8 solid salmon and steelhead rivers within an hour and 3 of them within 2 min...... Thanks for encouraging words Dave. I was really stating to get bummed out violin

JD

#689983 - 06/21/11 12:09 AM Re: Let's all stop bitching for a while. [Re: JDarr]
IrishRogue Offline
Poon it! Poon it! Poon it!

Loc: Yarrow Point
Sure seems like a lot of sour grapes about a guy who:

a) managed to turn his passion into paid work.
b) still gets trips/paid even during retirement to fish and write the occasional article
c) fishes more than any three of us

So, what, exactly are you guys bitching about DAVE for? He's the one who has this figured out. You should quite bitching and start taking freakin' notes dudes.

#689994 - 06/21/11 01:27 AM Re: Let's all stop bitching for a while. [Re: IrishRogue]
Achewter Offline

Loc: N of Seattle
oh sure praise Dave for exploiting all the rivers around here just so he could go off and exploit more rivers, lakes, streams, ponds and oceans all over the world for the sake of making us feel like crap annd and and stuff.

that freekinecoteroristSOB F him and little dog of his too.
What makes that bastard think he has the rite to come on here and try to make us feel better about what we do have. Fndick

#690019 - 06/21/11 03:02 AM Re: Let's all stop bitching for a while. [Re: Achewter]
Idaho Mike Offline
Carcass

Loc: Post Falls Idaho
While all of you are bitchin; Mr. Vedder has gone fishin; but your still bitchen while Mr. Vedder is in the kitchen cooking up his day of fishin.

It aint work that keeps you from fishin its that bitch in the kitchen that don't want to listen; that you need to go fishin.

Sorry, at midnight I turn into a rapper. Good post there Mr. Vedder and thanks for sharing all that knowledge about fishin with those who just keep on wishin that they were fishin.

#690036 - 06/21/11 09:44 AM Re: Let's all stop bitching for a while. [Re: Idaho Mike]
ParaLeaks Offline
WINNER

Loc: Olypen
Screw Dave.....bobber fisherman.....bah!
Never did like you, you bastage. Ain't startin' now, either.

Good post, you old fart! thumbs

#690043 - 06/21/11 10:57 AM Re: Let's all stop bitching for a while. [Re: ParaLeaks]
Somethingsmellsf Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Ahhhhh, damn dog!
The beatings will continue till moral improves, now quite yer bitchin!

Fishy

The idea of a middle class life is slowly drifting away as each and every day we realize that our nation is becoming more of a corporatacracy.

I think name-calling is the right way to handle this one/Dan S

We're here from the WDFW and we're here to help--Uhh Ohh!

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
BigRedHead, Gene, Milton Fisher, Selther, SpinyRayLover
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 838 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645372 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |