THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#689759 - 06/20/11 10:43 AM Let's all stop bitching for a while.
Dave Vedder Offline
Reverend Tarpones

Loc: West Duvall
We all tend to focus on fish runs that have declined and many other issues we face here but we truly are blessed.

So far this summer I have caught huge Kokanee, stocker trout, geoducks, steamer clams, crab, salmon, lingcod, halibut and rockfish. And summer hasn't officially arrived!

This morning I had a geoduck and Dungeness omlette. This afternoon I'm off to the icicle for chinook than to Lake Chelan for Lake Trout and Kokanee.

The rest of the summer will focus on the large returns of chinook anticipated for P.S. summer run steelhead, which are showing in decent numbers, buoy 10 BIG chinook and coho, and taking my grandson on an alpine hike then chasing humpies on the beach at Whidbey with him. Yes humpies. Don't like is? Don't do it. There are lots of other choices.

Later in the fall it will be tuna trips, smallmouth in the Columbia, coho and perch in Lake Washington, more crabbing and who knows what else. There are so many choices and so little time.

My point is we still live in an outdoorsman’s paradise. Once in awhile we should stop and be thankful.

#689774 - 06/20/11 11:29 AM Re: Let's all stop bitching for a while. [Re: Dave Vedder]
Mooch Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Kingston, WA
Originally Posted By: Dave Vedder
we should be thankful always.

Fixed it for you. smile
Matt. 8:27   The men were amazed and asked, “What kind of man is this? Even the winds and the waves obey him!”

#689776 - 06/20/11 11:45 AM Re: Let's all stop bitching for a while. [Re: Mooch]
SBD Offline
clown flocker

Loc: Water
I think Dave's point is there's a lot more to the PNW than salmon.. thumbs

There's a sucker born every minute

#689783 - 06/20/11 12:00 PM Re: Let's all stop bitching for a while. [Re: ]
stlhead Offline
River Nutrients

Kind of like listening to a rich CEO tell the minions how good they have it.

#689788 - 06/20/11 12:13 PM Re: Let's all stop bitching for a while. [Re: stlhead]
SBD Offline
clown flocker

Loc: Water
I know when I spend the afternoon in Portland all I can think of is how do these people live like this. I can drive through the home town from one end to the other in about 15 minutes and wave to half a dozen people that I know and a real wave not like they do in the city with one finger up. moose

There's a sucker born every minute

#689789 - 06/20/11 12:17 PM Re: Let's all stop bitching for a while. [Re: stlhead]
AP a.k.a. Kaiser D Offline
Hippie

Loc: B'ham
Nice job, Dave.

I totally agree with you. I can bitch and moan with the best of them but when I hear people saying stuff like, "Well, I'm selling my boat and all my equipment because fishing is worthless", I'm shocked. It is rare for me to go more than a week or 2 without fishing for something and the catching is usually good enough to keep me coming back. For a lot of the year, I want to be in 3 spots at once!

#689792 - 06/20/11 12:42 PM Re: Let's all stop bitching for a while. [Re: AP a.k.a. Kaiser D]
jackiepoo Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: University Place Washington
I sure as hell didn't get a rich CEO taste in my mouth after Dave's post. I guess steelhead you made a huge oversight in the comprehension department or you just make living a huge pain in the ass. Either way good luck.

#689794 - 06/20/11 12:47 PM Re: Let's all stop bitching for a while. [Re: jackiepoo]
FishRanger Offline
Carcass

Loc: Where ever Dogfish tells me to...
Yep, it's not a lack of options. . .usually just a lack of time to pursue them all. ... ... .

Good point Dave .

Decisions are made by those who show up.

"Shallow men believe in luck. Strong men believe in cause and effect." Ralph Waldo Emerson

#689795 - 06/20/11 12:51 PM Re: Let's all stop bitching for a while. [Re: Dave Vedder]
fish4brains Offline
Dah Rivah Stinkah Pink Mastah

Loc: zipper
Originally Posted By: Dave Vedder
We all tend to focus on fish runs that have declined and many other issues we face here but we truly are blessed.

So far this summer I have caught huge Kokanee, stocker trout, geoducks, steamer clams, crab, salmon, lingcod, halibut and rockfish. And summer hasn't officially arrived!

This morning I had a geoduck and Dungeness omlette. This afternoon I'm off to the icicle for chinook than to Lake Chelan for Lake Trout and Kokanee.

The rest of the summer will focus on the large returns of chinook anticipated for P.S. summer run steelhead, which are showing in decent numbers, buoy 10 BIG chinook and coho, and taking my grandson on an alpine hike then chasing humpies on the beach at Whidbey with him. Yes humpies. Don't like is? Don't do it. There are lots of other choices.

Later in the fall it will be tuna trips, smallmouth in the Columbia, coho and perch in Lake Washington, more crabbing and who knows what else. There are so many choices and so little time.

My point is we still live in an outdoorsman’s paradise. Once in awhile we should stop and be thankful.

Must be nice to be retired grin

#689800 - 06/20/11 01:02 PM Re: Let's all stop bitching for a while. [Re: fish4brains]
docspud Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Silverdale Wa
Tough to argue with that post Dave. Outside of Ak we have it as good/better than anyone. More of problem around here with time rather than the options.

#689801 - 06/20/11 01:02 PM Re: Let's all stop bitching for a while. [Re: fish4brains]
Mystical Legends Offline
Spawner

Loc: Des Moines NOT Seattle
Yep, we've got it good round here.

#689808 - 06/20/11 01:10 PM Re: Let's all stop bitching for a while. [Re: Mystical Legends]
tinyelvis Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: WA
Good thread! Lets do our best to educate the kids about the resources so that they can hopefully have an opportunity do the same.

#689809 - 06/20/11 01:11 PM Re: Let's all stop bitching for a while. [Re: ]
Mystical Legends Offline
Spawner

Loc: Des Moines NOT Seattle
WAY gooder.......

#689810 - 06/20/11 01:16 PM Re: Let's all stop bitching for a while. [Re: Mystical Legends]
stlhead Offline
River Nutrients

"I sure as hell didn't get a rich CEO taste in my mouth after Dave's post. I guess steelhead you made a huge oversight in the comprehension department or you just make living a huge pain in the ass. Either way good luck."

Looks like someone made an "oversight in comprehension" and it wasn't me. You can send me my paycheck for being a pain in your ass you idiot.

#689824 - 06/20/11 02:00 PM Re: Let's all stop bitching for a while. [Re: ]
Dave Vedder Offline
Reverend Tarpones

Loc: West Duvall
A M

. grown women shouldn't whine, ever!

#689826 - 06/20/11 02:04 PM Re: Let's all stop bitching for a while. [Re: ]
Man of logic Offline
Spawner

Loc: the moon

#689829 - 06/20/11 02:14 PM Re: Let's all stop bitching for a while. [Re: Dave Vedder]
Coho Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Muk
No whining here--just lack of time for the fishing opprotunities--this thing called work gets in the way. But I get my chances.

#689831 - 06/20/11 02:17 PM Re: Let's all stop bitching for a while. [Re: Dave Vedder]
Mooch Offline
Three Time Spawner

Back in the "way gooder days", folks whined just as much as they do today.

Over the years I've noticed that ones that didn't complain were usually too busy catching fish or out actually doing something to protect/enhance the resource.
Matt. 8:27   The men were amazed and asked, “What kind of man is this? Even the winds and the waves obey him!”

#689836 - 06/20/11 02:40 PM Re: Let's all stop bitching for a while. [Re: stlhead]
djsmith46 Offline
Parr

Originally Posted By: stlhead
Kind of like listening to a rich CEO tell the minions how good they have it.

Ding ding ding. We have a winner. Dave gets to travel around and experience all the "good", "positive" aspects of the PNW. Meanwhile many of us are busy fishing the same declining local streams etc. Many of the streams he helped exploit. I probably wouldn't be bitching either if I could afford to have my head in the sand. Yippeee!

#689838 - 06/20/11 02:44 PM Re: Let's all stop bitching for a while. [Re: ]
Mooch Offline
Three Time Spawner

M, it's not a question of whether "the direction fisheries are headed" should motivate us to action, but rather what that action will be. Complaining and doing are not the same thing. One gets positive results, the other does not. Never has, never will.

OK, so maybe there are a couple exceptions. The Whiners

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Schmidtm, schmidty, Spinhead
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
2 registered (steely slammer, wolverine), 1118 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63781 Topics
645410 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |