THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#696677 - 07/29/11 06:59 PM Permanently Switching Reeling Hands?
Nor Cal Drifter Offline
Spawner

Loc: Sacramento, CA
Anyone out there ever switched their reeling hand and been successful long term? In other words, say you were right handed and you cast with your right hand, then switch the rod to your left so you can reel with your right. Anyone ever change to a left hand retrieve reel and been successful? Are you able to get as fast reeling with your left as you used to be reeling with your right hand?

#696681 - 07/29/11 07:32 PM Re: Permanently Switching Reeling Hands? [Re: Nor Cal Drifter]
Sky-Guy Offline
The Tide changed

Loc: Everett
Not quite a permanent switch, but I can and do cast and reel ambidextriously, prefering right hand retrieve. For me, the Primary reason to switch up is to rest one arm when fishing all day long.

#696682 - 07/29/11 07:42 PM Re: Permanently Switching Reeling Hands? [Re: Sky-Guy]
Dub Offline
Returning Adult

I switched all my baitcasters to left hand retrieve so I wouldn't have to move the rod from my right hand to the left after casting. I prefer it. It took a little getting used to. I did it with my salmonid and bass gear. I did it for a few reasons and would reccomend it.

My father took the cheap route and started casting with his left hand. He got a few reels for cheap from me when i switched.

#696690 - 07/29/11 08:52 PM Re: Permanently Switching Reeling Hands? [Re: Dub]
ParaLeaks Offline
WINNER

Loc: Olypen
I can't run a net left handed for sour apples, so I won't be switching. I do cast left handed occasionally, but not often.

#696693 - 07/29/11 09:01 PM Re: Permanently Switching Reeling Hands? [Re: ParaLeaks]
Fast and Furious Offline
River Nutrients

How odd. Ive never understood what was so tough about casting with one hand and reeling with the other. Old school Fly fishing takes two hands.
Fess up if you never learned to drive a stick shift.

#696704 - 07/29/11 10:46 PM Re: Permanently Switching Reeling Hands? [Re: Dub]
fish4brains Offline
Dah Rivah Stinkah Pink Mastah

Loc: zipper
Originally Posted By: dub870
I switched all my baitcasters to left hand retrieve so I wouldn't have to move the rod from my right hand to the left after casting. I prefer it.

Completely switched more than 6 years ago. I am right handed all the way except for swinging a bat, and the first time I tried a lefty, I was in heaven. I can turn and burn with either hand equally fast but prefer holding the rod with my right and reeling with my left.

#696708 - 07/29/11 11:11 PM Re: Permanently Switching Reeling Hands? [Re: Nor Cal Drifter]
fishbadger Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Gig Harbor, WA
Originally Posted By: Nor Cal Drifter
Anyone out there ever switched their reeling hand and been successful long term? In other words, say you were right handed and you cast with your right hand, then switch the rod to your left so you can reel with your right. Anyone ever change to a left hand retrieve reel and been successful? Are you able to get as fast reeling with your left as you used to be reeling with your right hand?

I did what you're talking about 6 yrs ago or so and haven't looked back. Now all the fly, spinning and casting rigs are in sync for me and I can burn it in quickly when need be,

fb

#696711 - 07/29/11 11:41 PM Re: Permanently Switching Reeling Hands? [Re: fishbadger]
Carcassman Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Olema,California,Planet Earth
I am mostly right-handed. Do all my casting with the right and reel with the left. Have my fly reels set up for left hand but will cast fairly well with the left when the wind is from the right. Keeps the line out of my hair.

Turns out that I tie flies left-handed. That was just the way I set up my vise. Made it interesting when my instructor, who was right handed, tried to show me a whip finish.

#696723 - 07/30/11 02:01 AM Re: Permanently Switching Reeling Hands? [Re: ]
stlhdr42 Offline
Spawner

Loc: where the fish swim
I look like I should be wearing a helmet and playing with crayons when I reel with my left hand. Whats weird is I fish left hand retrieve spinning reels just fine or even better than a righty, but baitcasters must be righty's.

#696724 - 07/30/11 02:08 AM Re: Permanently Switching Reeling Hands? [Re: ]
Nor Cal Drifter Offline
Spawner

Originally Posted By: Hankster
Except for spinning reels I've been reeling with my right hand all my life. After reading posts here about casting right and reeling left with a casting reel I thought I might give it a shot. Bought a lefty Luna, put it on my DR rod and I was ready to roll. Hooked a salmon and I was like a fish out of water; had the other guys on the boat laughin' pretty hard too. Sold that lefty Luna to someone on this board.

That's funny Hankster...guy at my local tackle shop said trying to learn to reel with your other hand after doing it one way all your life will make you look like "a monkey humping a football." Sounds like you had that experience. Guess I gotta stick with what's gotten me this far in my fishing life even if it means switching hands after casting...

#696725 - 07/30/11 02:18 AM Re: Permanently Switching Reeling Hands? [Re: Nor Cal Drifter]
The Catcherman Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Ellensburg, WA
I can't reel left handed for crap but I learned to cast left handed. I have all me reels, both fly and conventional on a right hand retrieve. My next task is to learn to fly cast left handed. Throughout the day I go back and forth with my casting arm just to switch it up and rest the other.

Good topic, not sure I've seen it before.

#696726 - 07/30/11 02:38 AM Re: Permanently Switching Reeling Hands? [Re: The Catcherman]
elmtree Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: spanaway,wash, 98387us
i switch to right hand reeling on my bait casting reel years ago, i was use to reeling my spinning reels, no problem with either hand reeling, just right hand casting.

#696738 - 07/30/11 08:09 AM Re: Permanently Switching Reeling Hands? [Re: ]
DrifterWA Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: East of Aberdeen, West of Mont...
Made the change 30+ years ago.........100 % left hand retrieve now.....anyone wanta buy all my "old right hand retrieve reels"????

Shimano Bantam 100 "Rosewood handles", 5000D "Green", couple of 5000 Reds.........and more.....actual have pictures taken of my "for sale reels"......just haven't posted......my bad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by DrifterWA (07/30/11 08:16 AM)

"I thought growing older, would take longer"

#696769 - 07/30/11 01:56 PM Re: Permanently Switching Reeling Hands? [Re: stlhdr42]
chrome/22 Offline
Captain C/22 - Team Stay Up Right!

Loc: Hurricane Ridge , Wa.
Originally Posted By: stlhdr42
I look like I should be wearing a helmet and playing with crayons when I reel with my left hand. Whats weird is I fish left hand retrieve spinning reels just fine or even better than a righty, but baitcasters must be righthand.

+1

I HATE lefty baitcasters, I'll never switch on my personal gear.

When I'm forced to use a lefty baitcaster I've found choking up on the reel w/ my right hand helps me. I basically wrap my hand over the reel body & reelseat of the rod. For some reason it smooths out my retrieve & I can get a little more speed that way.

My lefty retrive still always feels chunky, like I'm reeling a square circle.

c/22

#696774 - 07/30/11 02:06 PM Re: Permanently Switching Reeling Hands? [Re: chrome/22]
Irie Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: South Sound
I reel lefty on everything except my big water reels. For that I need my stronger arm.

#696776 - 07/30/11 02:10 PM Re: Permanently Switching Reeling Hands? [Re: chrome/22]
Direct-Drive Offline
ExtenZe Field Tester

Loc: Vancouver, WA
If you want to try to switch, Michele Bachmann's hubby can fix you up grin

#696818 - 07/30/11 05:27 PM Re: Permanently Switching Reeling Hands? [Re: chrome/22]
Nor Cal Drifter Offline
Spawner

C/22 -

May have some righties to sell ya in the near future...ordered a lefty last night to give it a try.

#696827 - 07/30/11 07:44 PM Re: Permanently Switching Reeling Hands? [Re: ]
Nor Cal Drifter Offline
Spawner

Originally Posted By: Hankster
Originally Posted By: Nor Cal Drifter
C/22 -

May have some righties to sell ya in the near future...ordered a lefty last night to give it a try.

Did you buy it from the guy at your tackle shop that said "trying to learn to reel with your other hand after doing it one way all your life will make you look like "a monkey humping a football." ? Or did you wait until today when he wasn't working?

grin

Neither...ordered online. I probably look like a monkey humpin a football no matter what hand I reel with, so what the heck, figured I'd give it a try. You outta try it too Hankster...you're from the Bay Area...no one will notice if you don't look right... grin

#696866 - 07/31/11 01:16 AM Re: Permanently Switching Reeling Hands? [Re: stlhdr42]
GutZ Offline
The Original Boat Ho

Loc: Bellevue
Originally Posted By: stlhdr42
I look like I should be wearing a helmet and playing with crayons when I reel with my left hand. Whats weird is I fish left hand retrieve spinning reels just fine or even better than a righty, but baitcasters must be righty's.

That is so funny!
I just hold on to the reel handle and move the rod around in circles.
Short Bus for sure.

#696881 - 07/31/11 02:18 AM Re: Permanently Switching Reeling Hands? [Re: GutZ]
Steelheadman Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Poulsbo, WA,USA
When I was young I cast my spinning combo with my right and switched to left and reeled with my right had with the reel on top of the rod. I was corrected and now I cast with my right and reel with my left hand reel below my rod.

I'm a little ambidextrous as when I busted my ring finger tendon on my right side I played tennis and ping pong with my left hand. Still have more power in my right arm.

I can switch any of my spinning reels. I only own one bait caster. Maybe next time I'm bored or my arm is tired I'll switch. Sure helps to have a counter balanced rod.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Schmidtm, schmidty, Spinhead
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1134 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63781 Topics
645410 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |