Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#69713 - 03/03/03 02:17 AM Inflatable Pontoons
Big Bad Voodoo Daddy Offline
Spawner

Loc: Enumclaw
Are these really good? They look a lot nicer then float tubes.

Are parts easy to get? Such as new floats if the old ones blow, acessories, etc.

FishnFellaS, I KNOW you can help me with this especially. laugh

Thanks
Curtis

#69714 - 03/03/03 05:21 AM Re: Inflatable Pontoons
stilly bum Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: SnoCo
They are much better than float tubes. More comfortable, maneuverable, and versatile. I haven't had to get any parts for mine but I'm sure the manufacturers would be willing to sell you what you need. The only drawback is that they're more expensive and can't be packed for hike-in trips. Some people complain about getting blown by the wind and I guess it's sorta true. But when the wind picks up a pontoon boat can be rowed to shore much faster than a float tube.

#69715 - 03/03/03 10:30 AM Re: Inflatable Pontoons
Micro Brew Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Normandy Park
I have had an Xstream for two years now. I agree with Stilly. You sit higher and they are much easier in the wind. I haven't needed parts yet, but should be easy since it was built in Seattle. The boat is "packable", it has a back pack case for use when deflated, which I have carried 4 miles one way. It also has straps to pack inflated, which is how I get it to the hike in eastside lakes.

#69716 - 03/03/03 11:48 AM Re: Inflatable Pontoons
Old Man Offline
Spawner

Loc: Silver Star,Mt
As I am reading this post I seem to be missing something. Is there a picture here of what you are talking about or do I just have to imagine what you are talking about. It sounds like you are talking about one of those new types of float tubes the ones that almost look like a pontoon boat but are a float tube.. Also on another note,I notice that now my messages are being typed on a white background instead of a black background. Bob,It seems like your making changes everyday. When are you going to be done?

#69717 - 03/03/03 12:56 PM Re: Inflatable Pontoons
Trout Daddy Offline
Fry

Loc: Kirkland, WA
BBVD - pontoon boats are MUCH nicer to fish out of than float tubes. No cold rearends, better mobility, extra gear storage, etc. My advice would be to get a smaller pontoon boat so you can pack it into the hike in lakes. Bigger pontoon boats can run 80lbs or more with all the gear. That's a lot of weight to carry very far.

There's quite a few manufacturers of pontoon with a wide price range. I own a waterskeeter. It's in it's 4th year and has held up very well. It isn't the most expensive pontoon boat, but a good buy for the value. They're not easy to find in stores, but you can find them pretty easily online. That's how I bought mine. FYI - I'm not affiliated with them in any way, just wanna direct ya to a product that works for me.

Good luck to ya.

#69718 - 03/03/03 08:57 PM Re: Inflatable Pontoons
FishnfellaS Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Grand Coulee,Wa. 99133
Voodoo Daddy: If I waz you I'd find a way to have BOTH.
The bigger pontoons are more comfortable and you can keep
everything outa the water early in the year.....that helps you fish
longer. But some are very heavy as previously mentioned. My Bucks Bag
is around 60 pounds. Hard on an old mans arthritic shoulder putting it atop
my truck. And those wheels they have to wheel them into hike ins won't work
on most treed trails. They can be hell in heavy wind too with your
body acting as a sail pushing ya all over.

The floattube can be packed in anywhere. It is more fishable in a wind and can
be anchored easier for chrionomiding. With 5 mil waders it can be comfortable
enuff early in the year. Some people don't like all that kick paddling against the
wind and I'm one of them. I have a second pontoon that was made by JW outfitters
and is a backpacker. It's about 25 pounds and goes down Canadian trails pretty
well.

#69719 - 03/03/03 10:41 PM Re: Inflatable Pontoons
Chuckn'Duck Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: West of Eden
BBVD,
If you are concerned about packing/ wieght/portability there are other options rather than a framed pontoon boat that will weigh from 25-60 pounds. I have two separate types, the first called a Watermaster and the second is an Escalade made by Scadden craft. Both handle Class III with ease, pack enough gear for multiple night floats, and keep you up out of the water far higher than a tube. Both are also very manueverable with kick fins. I used my Watermaster on the Hoh, Queets and other larger rivers for years without any problems. In addition, I could delfate it, roll up its PVC body and stuff it into a pack with oars that wieghed less than 24 pounds. The Scadden Escalade (which I picked up new for $299 this fall) is more of a kayak shape and weighs only 16 pounds in the pack. Larry Tullis swears by these boats and my friends who use them on the coast since the $299 sale, love them. They are kick butt manuverable, and are a dream to use with fins due to thier shape.

Also, Sierra Trading Post has the Water Skeeter "Pontubes" on sale for pretty cheap right now. They seem like a cool compromise. I've seen them in action on Lenice and Dry Falls. Look like a floating lazy-boy pontoon boat, where the fisher sits way up outa the water. Very light also.
Good luck.

#69720 - 03/04/03 12:18 AM Re: Inflatable Pontoons
Big Bad Voodoo Daddy Offline
Spawner

Loc: Enumclaw
Hey thanks for the input! I did end up buying the boat... and ended up getting a compound bow as well for deer season when that rolls around. Total price: $350. laugh

It's an S Drifter. I believe I may be fighting a battle with a small leak, so I'm looking to buy another float sooner or later. Hey, even for the price of the extra float, thats a killer deal!

Thanks again guys!

Curtis

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Swifty27
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (wolverine), 1162 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13525
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63781 Topics
645406 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |