THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#696934 - 07/31/11 05:16 PM Re: Permanently Switching Reeling Hands? [Re: Steelheadman]
AP a.k.a. Kaiser D Offline
Hippie

Loc: B'ham
I'm a right-handed person and basically can barely fish with a right-hand retrieve reel. I think it has more to do with "needing" to hold the rod in my right hand.

"Monkey humping a football" is a pretty good description.

#696936 - 07/31/11 05:25 PM Re: Permanently Switching Reeling Hands? [Re: AP a.k.a. Kaiser D]
The Moderator Offline
The Chosen One

Loc: Tuleville
As a South Paw, it's the most natural thing to cast and hold a rod with my left hand and reel with the right.

Never understood why anyone would purposely screw up a perfectly good bait casting reel by putting the crank on the left side of the reel! smile

#696938 - 07/31/11 06:08 PM Re: Permanently Switching Reeling Hands? [Re: The Moderator]
Direct-Drive Offline
ExtenZe Field Tester

Loc: Vancouver, WA
Originally Posted By: parker
As a South Paw, it's the most natural thing to cast and hold a rod with my left hand and reel with the right.

Damn Paker, you're friggin' compliant.
I had no idea.

thumbs on the sig.

#697035 - 08/01/11 01:19 PM Re: Permanently Switching Reeling Hands? [Re: Direct-Drive]
STRIKE ZONE Offline
GOOD LUCK

Loc: Hobart,Wa U.S.A
I'm right handed,but I retreive with my left.I made this switch 25 years ago and haven't looked back and never will.Once in awhile I'll have to reel in someone's POS right hand retreive set up to get it out of the way and when doing so "I feel & Look like the short bus kid that sit's in the back and licks the window".Just sayin.Good luck,
SZ

So if you are a righty and not reeling in with a lefty , you maybe that short bus window licker.

#697042 - 08/01/11 02:28 PM Re: Permanently Switching Reeling Hands? [Re: STRIKE ZONE]
ParaLeaks Offline
WINNER

Loc: Olypen
Everybody likes clean windows.
Good Luck

#697072 - 08/01/11 05:32 PM Re: Permanently Switching Reeling Hands? [Re: ParaLeaks]
Rocket Red Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Elma
I am a righty in golf, frisbee, slapping ho's and the stranger. Use my left hand for reeling and normal mode.

#697073 - 08/01/11 05:32 PM Re: Permanently Switching Reeling Hands? [Re: ParaLeaks]
spoonage Offline
Parr

Loc: Whatcom
My five year old has been fishing for 2 years and he can reel with both hands. Doesn't seem to bother him either way.

On the other hand, I have a friend in his 50's who reels his spin caster upside down and in reverse...pretty much of an abortion to watch that.

#697075 - 08/01/11 05:39 PM Re: Permanently Switching Reeling Hands? [Re: spoonage]
Dan S. Offline
It all boils down to this - I'm right, everyone else is wrong, and anyone who disputes this is clearly a dumbfuck.

Loc: SE Olympia, WA
Originally Posted By: RR
slapping ho's

rofl

Gotta keep that pimp hand strong.

Bon Scott - Shot Down in Flames

#697114 - 08/01/11 10:32 PM Re: Permanently Switching Reeling Hands? [Re: Nor Cal Drifter]
bustintires Offline
Parr

Loc: yelm
Originally Posted By: Nor Cal Drifter
Anyone out there ever switched their reeling hand and been successful long term? In other words, say you were right handed and you cast with your right hand, then switch the rod to your left so you can reel with your right. Anyone ever change to a left hand retrieve reel and been successful? Are you able to get as fast reeling with your left as you used to be reeling with your right hand?

sounds like you havnt hit the bazillion cast mark yet or you wouldnt be askin.

#697133 - 08/02/11 12:08 AM Re: Permanently Switching Reeling Hands? [Re: bustintires]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
Casting rods on the right, spinning reels on the left, trolling/bouncing rods on the right, flyrods on the right, centerpins on the right...cast with either hand, whatever seems to make sense at the time.

I like it when guys say they need the rod in their right arm so that they can set the hook hard enough...jeebus, are you really so big a pussy that you can't set the hook hard enough with your left arm?

Really?

They hadn't invented left handed casting reels for the first ten or fifteen years of me casting with them...this dog don't need that new trick.

Fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#697144 - 08/02/11 01:21 AM Re: Permanently Switching Reeling Hands? [Re: Todd]
Nor Cal Drifter Offline
Spawner

Loc: Sacramento, CA
Todd - it's a pain in the ass to switch hands after the cast. Sucks even more when you're holding the rod in your right hand, get bit, set the hook, then have to switch hands. Lost more than one fish to this because of that pause before I could start reeling. Sounds like you solved the problem by casting with your left hand and holding the rod in your left? I think it would be easier for me to learn to reel with my left than cast with my left.

#697179 - 08/02/11 11:38 AM Re: Permanently Switching Reeling Hands? [Re: ]
STRIKE ZONE Offline
GOOD LUCK

Pretty simply to me.If your right handed why wouldn't you want the rod in your right hand to not only set the hook but to fight the fish with,while your left hand the "weaker" of the two does nothing but turn a handle.Plus all the other stuff that comes along with it like not having to switch hands part way through the money slot.I bought the first left hand reel I ever seen about 25 years a go I still have but it's in a zip loc bag in pieces.I beleive it was a quantum 1140 or something like that.It was the common sense thing to do back in high school,Just sayin.Good luck,
SZ

#697188 - 08/02/11 12:25 PM Re: Permanently Switching Reeling Hands? [Re: STRIKE ZONE]
SkykomishSunrise Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Originally Posted By: STRIKE ZONE
Pretty simply to me.If your right handed why wouldn't you want the rod in your right hand to not only set the hook but to fight the fish with,while your left hand the "weaker" of the two does nothing but turn a handle.Plus all the other stuff that comes along with it like not having to switch hands part way through the money slot.SZ

agree

Bill McMillan

#697190 - 08/02/11 12:59 PM Re: Permanently Switching Reeling Hands? [Re: STRIKE ZONE]
fish4brains Offline
Dah Rivah Stinkah Pink Mastah

Loc: zipper
Originally Posted By: STRIKE ZONE
I'm right handed,but I retreive with my left.Once in awhile I'll have to reel in someone's POS right hand retreive set up to get it out of the way and when doing so "I feel & Look like the short bus kid that sit's in the back and licks the window".Just sayin.Good luck,
SZ

That's what I'm talkin about, although I can reel in a righty pretty good too.

#697201 - 08/02/11 02:11 PM Re: Permanently Switching Reeling Hands? [Re: fish4brains]
Dan S. Offline
It all boils down to this - I'm right, everyone else is wrong, and anyone who disputes this is clearly a dumbfuck.

If you can't set a hook or hold a rod with your "weak" hand, then you ought to take up knitting or scrapbooking.

smile

#697202 - 08/02/11 02:17 PM Re: Permanently Switching Reeling Hands? [Re: Dan S.]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
Originally Posted By: Dan S.
If you can't set a hook or hold a rod with your "weak" hand, then you ought to take up knitting or scrapbooking.

smile

x ten billion.

Fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#697208 - 08/02/11 02:31 PM Re: Permanently Switching Reeling Hands? [Re: Todd]
fish4brains Offline
Dah Rivah Stinkah Pink Mastah

Loc: zipper
Ford vs. Chevy

#697209 - 08/02/11 02:37 PM Re: Permanently Switching Reeling Hands? [Re: Dan S.]
Nor Cal Drifter Offline
Spawner

Loc: Sacramento, CA
Originally Posted By: Dan S.

smile

I can, but I can't cast with my weak hand. Still need to take up knitting?

#697215 - 08/02/11 02:57 PM Re: Permanently Switching Reeling Hands? [Re: Nor Cal Drifter]
Dan S. Offline

It's optional for you.

smile

#697216 - 08/02/11 02:58 PM Re: Permanently Switching Reeling Hands? [Re: Dan S.]
STRIKE ZONE Offline
GOOD LUCK

I "Left" the knitting & Scrapbooking up to my wife to get handled.Good luck,
SZ

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
BigRedHead, Gene, Milton Fisher, Selther, SpinyRayLover
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 410 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645372 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |