Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#706551 - 09/27/11 01:30 AM Getting deep without sinking lines
fish_4_all Offline
Spawner

Loc: Grays Harbor
I don't have the money to buy sinking lines and all that fancy stuff so I have to find a way to get deep. At least deep enough to get to the fish in the rivers and deep holes.

I have tied some clousers and some other flies with weighted eyes. Is this going to be enough to get a fly to go 10-12 feet deep in slow enough water or am I kinda stuck with shallow water? Maybe a sinking lead leader if I would still be able to cast the darn thing. Thought about using some trolling line to make some short leaders to get some sink out of them. I don't want to go any heavier than the 1/50 barbell eyes I am using because I'm not good enough to cast much heavier flies, yet. And not gonna try chuck and duck anywhere that there are more than a couple people fishing. That and that just doesn't seem like fly fishing to me, yet.....

#706576 - 09/27/11 10:11 AM Re: Getting deep without sinking lines [Re: fish_4_all]
D3Smartie Offline

Loc: Bainbridge Island WA
long leaders with weighted flies. Cast upstream and mend to let it get deep.

#706592 - 09/27/11 11:22 AM Re: Getting deep without sinking lines [Re: D3Smartie]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

F4A,

What are you casting? I've got lots of lines and pieces of lines that I could probably cobble something together.

In my experience, weighted flies on single hand rods aren't much fun. A little lead wire on the hook shank, or the smaller dumbell eyes aren't too bad. Regardless if you're using sinking tip line or weighted flies, fly fishing for salmon and steelhead is best in water up to six feet deep, eight feet max.

Sg

#706608 - 09/27/11 12:25 PM Re: Getting deep without sinking lines [Re: Salmo g.]
FleaFlickr02 Offline
River Nutrients

I was going to write you a book, but Salmo g. just stole my thunder (and was much more efficient in saying what I was going to say). I have a sense that I am more willing to resort to dirty tricks than he is, but even using the filthiest of tactics, I have found little success in moving water much deeper than 6 feet when fly fishing for salmon and steelhead.

"Biter" coho will chase a fly all the way to the surface on occasion, so you don't have to hit them in the mouth. Generally speaking, weighted flies fished off a dry line with an 8-10 foot leader will get you in the game. If they don't, you may do better to move on to the next spot. As for the kings you likely wanted to target in deeper water, keep targeting coho in productive water, and every once in a while, you will hook into something surprisingly heavy. Better to get lucky once in a while than to get thoroughly frustrated trying to do something the vast majority of fly fishers (myself included) can't consistently accomplish.

Good luck!

#706624 - 09/27/11 01:07 PM Re: Getting deep without sinking lines [Re: FleaFlickr02]
ColeyG Offline
Ranger Danger

Loc: AK
It helps to bear this formula in mind. Keep a calculator handy and as long as you know the exact depth of the water being fished, and the current speed, you should be able to dial your presentation in perfectly each time.

wink

EZ Thread Yarn Balls

"I don't care how you catch them, as long as you treat them well and with respect." Lani Waller in "A Steelheader's Way."

#706639 - 09/27/11 01:53 PM Re: Getting deep without sinking lines [Re: ColeyG]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

But with some experience you can dispense with the calculator and just do it all in your head. Of course I get it wrong occasionally and hang my fly on a rock and break it off. But that helps keep the fly shops in business.

Sg

#706650 - 09/27/11 02:29 PM Re: Getting deep without sinking lines [Re: Salmo g.]
stonefish Offline
King of the Beach

Loc: Carkeek Park
One other suggestion. You can always make your own sinking lines for pretty cheap.
Do you have a beat up floater you no longer use? It seems everyone I know that flyfishes has a few of these lying around.
Just cut the head back and add a loop.
Find a place that sells bulk Cortland LC-13 or Rio T-8, T-11, T-14 etc.
Add a loop on both ends of the heads and you're fishing. You should be able to make your own line for $20.00 or less, depending on the head length. Sure beats $80.00 bones for a new line.

#706651 - 09/27/11 02:38 PM Re: Getting deep without sinking lines [Re: Salmo g.]
ColeyG Offline
Ranger Danger

Loc: AK
Originally Posted By: Salmo g.
But that helps keep the fly shops in business.

Sg

I thought you only fished old rusty hooks and worn out flies you pick off of river banks and out of branches? What is all of this fly shop business?

EZ Thread Yarn Balls

"I don't care how you catch them, as long as you treat them well and with respect." Lani Waller in "A Steelheader's Way."

#706701 - 09/27/11 05:43 PM Re: Getting deep without sinking lines [Re: ColeyG]
fish_4_all Offline
Spawner

Coho I am not too worried about really. Shallower and in faster water a lot of the time so I can hit them fairly easy. The Chinook we were getting last year were DEEP. 14-16 feet deep. One hole won't be so bad because the water is really slow and I can actually fish above the hole itself. The rest are a lot faster and a lot harder to fish with a fly rod. I doubt I willbe using 14 feet of leader so I will have to hope they will come up for the fly or I just get down to them. The heaviest eyes I put on are 1/50th ounce so not too heavy at all. I have casted heavier but not very far unless 60 feet is a long cast for a single hand rod and weighted fly.

I am fishing an 8wt one handed fly rod. Floating DTWF courtland from a few, well quite a few years ago.

As for flies, I tie my own so never have to worry about losing them and caring too much. Just out a little for materials and time.

#706703 - 09/27/11 05:47 PM Re: Getting deep without sinking lines [Re: fish_4_all]
fish_4_all Offline
Spawner

ColeyG, I wish it was that easy. The holes I fished last year vary in flow rate, depth and everything else every 5 feet or so. Was hard enough to get a float to go through there right most of the time. Start out fast and strong then almost stop dead and then slowly pick up again just to have it rip down river at the tail out. All of this in about 20 feet of river bank. Backwater in front of you and 3 different flow rates from the bank to where the fish were holding.

I guess I need to stick with shallower water where the flow rates and everything are pretty much the same throughout.

#706761 - 09/27/11 10:20 PM Re: Getting deep without sinking lines [Re: fish_4_all]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

Coley,

Not entirely, but I've accumulated so much stuff over the years that I don't contribute much to the shops these days. But I make excuses often enough to stop and pick up a few bucks worth of material; even bought a box of hooks the other day, mostly on impulse, not like I needed them.

F4A,

What do you mean a DTWF line? Is it DT or is it WF? They are two very different lines. Nonetheless I got lots of stuff for 8 wt.

Sg

#706774 - 09/27/11 11:08 PM Re: Getting deep without sinking lines [Re: Salmo g.]
fish_4_all Offline
Spawner

I thought it was double taper weight forward, but I know for sure it is weight forward so maybe not DT. Either way this gets that leared up. The line is well over 10 years old so remembering is not gonna happen, lol.

I did go out and throw the bead eye flies I have tied and did pretty good. They even layed out better than my really light practice ones. 50 ft. without too much effort so I should be able to fish some spots for salmon.

#706775 - 09/27/11 11:10 PM Re: Getting deep without sinking lines [Re: fish_4_all]
fish_4_all Offline
Spawner

Salmo, I would be greatful for anything you can throw together. I really want to make sure this is something I want to do before buying a new reel and line. Will help to find out if I can hook a salmon let alone land one on a fly rod.

#707740 - 10/02/11 07:40 PM Re: Getting deep without sinking lines [Re: fish_4_all]
fish_4_all Offline
Spawner

Let me know if you want something in trade Salmo.

#707814 - 10/03/11 01:58 PM Re: Getting deep without sinking lines [Re: fish_4_all]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

Was gone over the weekend F4A. I'll look thru some gear when I get home tonight and let you know what I find.

#707946 - 10/04/11 02:07 AM Re: Getting deep without sinking lines [Re: FleaFlickr02]
xyrildy Offline
Egg

i definitely agree with you!!!

#707982 - 10/04/11 02:26 PM Re: Getting deep without sinking lines [Re: xyrildy]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

F4A,

Got some lines for you to try. WF8S hi speed, Hi-D; an intermediate line with about 12 - 15' of lead core tip; WF8F/S with about 15' of hi speed, Hi-D; and I think one other.

Where are you? I'm in SE Oly.

Sg

#708091 - 10/04/11 09:52 PM Re: Getting deep without sinking lines [Re: Salmo g.]
fish_4_all Offline
Spawner

Way out on the coast in Aberdeen, about 8 blocks from the Chehalis river bridge.

#708228 - 10/05/11 01:56 PM Re: Getting deep without sinking lines [Re: fish_4_all]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

F4A,

You're welcome to it, but I'm heading east again this weekend, so I don't have a plan for getting this stuff to you.

Sg

#708243 - 10/05/11 03:05 PM Re: Getting deep without sinking lines [Re: Salmo g.]
fish_4_all Offline
Spawner

Give me a couple days to see if I have any money for shipping. I doubt it will all fit in a small flat rate box but let me know if it might.

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
brandy, chuckr37, Dick Boneski, Dickie, RobEstlund
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (steely slammer), 728 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 27837
Dan S. 16958
Sol Duc 15727
The Moderator 13941
Salmo g. 13394
eyeFISH 12606
STRIKE ZONE 11969
Dogfish 10878
ParaLeaks 10363
Jerry Garcia 9013
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63786 Topics
645450 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |