Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#706394 - 09/26/11 05:33 PM Drug Testing
MartyMoose Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Lake Stevens, Wa
The effing ACLU seems to do more harm than good it seems. I see no reason a person asking to receive state assistance should not be drug tested. I was drug tested every single time I have ever applied for a job.

Florida Today

ORLANDO — A federal court judge in Orlando is hearing arguments about the constitutionality of a Florida law that requires state welfare applicants to take drug tests before receiving assistance.

The Florida American Civil Liberties Union is arguing against the law Monday and contends that by applying for welfare in Florida, applicants are being forced to forfeit their constitutional right against unlawful search. The state is being represented by an attorney from the governor’s office.

The ACLU is asking the judge to issue a preliminary injunction against the law.

Some state Republicans say a recent figure showing that 2.7 percent of about 2,000 applicants were denied funds after positive tests shows that the program is a deterrent to drug users. A Democratic state senator has proposed legislation to repeal the law.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America," for an amount of "up to and including my life."

#706399 - 09/26/11 05:58 PM Re: Drug Testing [Re: ]
MartyMoose Offline
Returning Adult

I wonder if you would feel the same way if some drugged out or hung over A&P Mechanic, not subject to Alcohol & Drug testing, because it was a waste of time and money, left a rigging pin in a flight control cable bellcrank for the elevator of an airplane you were a passenger in.

Of course you wouldn't know about it; but after the TSB investigation your survivors would, because the plane would more than likely get stuck in a high angle climb and stall out, causing a crash.
A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America," for an amount of "up to and including my life."

#706400 - 09/26/11 06:12 PM Re: Drug Testing [Re: MartyMoose]
SBD Offline
clown flocker

Loc: Water

There's a sucker born every minute

#706405 - 09/26/11 06:30 PM Re: Drug Testing [Re: ]
chasbo Offline
Spawner

Loc: oly
I've been doing em so long I could pass anything they through at me.

#706409 - 09/26/11 06:47 PM Re: Drug Testing [Re: ]
NOFISH Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Olalla, WA
rofl rofl

Damn Stam!
Remember, Ask yourself "What would Stam do?" smile

#706416 - 09/26/11 07:19 PM Re: Drug Testing [Re: NOFISH]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

The Staminator is setting the bar high today.

However we had a very long thread on this topic not so long ago.

Sg

#706462 - 09/26/11 09:39 PM Re: Drug Testing [Re: ]
Direct-Drive Offline
ExtenZe Field Tester

Loc: Vancouver, WA
Originally Posted By: Chuck S.
Drug testing is a complete waste of time and money.

We have to agree to submit to random testing (construction industry).
I have seen it weed out knuckleheads on several occasions.

#706475 - 09/26/11 09:59 PM Re: Drug Testing [Re: Direct-Drive]
Rooselk Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Burlington, WA
This is all about stigmatizing people, nothing more. If it was about public safety then Florida would require drug tests prior to renewing a drivers license. But we know that's not going to happen. So I side with the ACLU on this one.

#706486 - 09/26/11 10:33 PM Re: Drug Testing [Re: Rooselk]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
Originally Posted By: Rooselk
This is all about stigmatizing people, nothing more. If it was about public safety then Florida would require drug tests prior to renewing a drivers license. But we know that's not going to happen. So I side with the ACLU on this one.

I agree 100%.

Fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#706496 - 09/26/11 10:49 PM Re: Drug Testing [Re: ]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Right wingers would never advocate for the Gubmint involving itself in anyone's private life...unless, of course, that hypothetical "anyone" out there just might be doing something that they themselves don't like, in which case they wholeheartedly embrace the expenditure of Gubmint resources to stop them, posthaste.

Fish on...

Todd

#706498 - 09/26/11 10:51 PM Re: Drug Testing [Re: ]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Not relevant...most every time the RWWJ's support Gubmint intrusion into our personal lives it costs more than it saves, and usually it saves absolutely nothing at all while costing money.

Fish on...

Todd

#706507 - 09/26/11 10:55 PM Re: Drug Testing [Re: ]
jackiepoo Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: University Place Washington
If the Goverment is going to drug test a citizen applying for monetary assistance then randomly drug test and apply the same consequences to ellected officials because the decisions and policy coming from these idiots is in my opinion so whacked they gotta be rrrrrrrrreeeealllly f**ckn high.

#706512 - 09/26/11 11:08 PM Re: Drug Testing [Re: ]
SBD Offline
clown flocker

Loc: Water
The Mexican Drug Cartels are going to have their lobbyist all over this one.

There's a sucker born every minute

#706529 - 09/26/11 11:54 PM Re: Drug Testing [Re: ]
Knucklebustersonly Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: WA
Originally Posted By: Hankster
I don't see it as stigmatizing people; I see it as telling them if they're going to be sucking on the government teat they have a few rules they have to follow. One of those rules is they can't be too fukked up on drugs they bought with government money to go out and look for work.

So you and Martymoosie think gubiment has the right to dictate what you do on your own free time?

Come on Hank ... police states are for 3rd world countries, not America.

Marty - dont even try to dumb down the conversation with the illogic you posted.

Drinking is legal ... yet you drive with them every day. Should a alcohol device be mandatory in all our cars too?

try again..............

Drinking is legal. Drugs aren't. There's a difference between doing whatever you want on your "free time" vs. illegal substances. Just like criminal checks are commonplace to find housing or employment, drug tests should be too. If you haven't been breaking the law, you have nothing to hide.

Your welcome to do whatever the F you want on your own time, so long as its within the bounds of what's legal.

#706538 - 09/27/11 12:19 AM Re: Drug Testing [Re: ]
River Nutrients

Originally Posted By: Knucklebustersonly
I don't see it as stigmatizing people; I see it as telling them if they're going to be sucking on the government teat they have a few rules they have to follow. One of those rules is they can't be too fukked up on drugs they bought with government money to go out and look for work.

So you and Martymoosie think gubiment has the right to dictate what you do on your own free time?

Come on Hank ... police states are for 3rd world countries, not America.

Marty - dont even try to dumb down the conversation with the illogic you posted.

Drinking is legal ... yet you drive with them every day. Should a alcohol device be mandatory in all our cars too?

try again..............

Drinking is legal. Drugs aren't. There's a difference between doing whatever you want on your "free time" vs. illegal substances. Just like criminal checks are commonplace to find housing or employment, drug tests should be too. If you haven't been breaking the law, you have nothing to hide.

Your welcome to do whatever the F you want on your own time, so long as its within the bounds of what's legal.

and yet marty moose referenced in his first reply about the "hung over" A&P mechanic.

Nobody drug tests for alchohol so how is that rellevant?

Define your "drugs" and what is acceptable for these low life welfare convicts to be doin on thier own personal time wink

You cant ... because neither can the gubimint.

Hence - drug testing is a stupid waste of time and money.

Get your head out of your @$$ if your going to ask me how alcohol is relevant when you talked about it in your prior post. I'm just following up on your comments...

It's relevant because you mentioned it being a similar issue to drugs, regarding that alcohol is legal and you brought up the point about having an alcohol device in cars being mandatory/or not. Your right, it isn't tested nor should be because it is legal.

Drugs = any illegal substance or illegal abuse of some type of drug, whether legal or illegal (prescription misuse comes to mind)... Not going to get into the whole pot legality thing. If you want to be paid by the government, you should have to follow their rules, simple as that. Don't like it? Don't sign up for it then.

Edited by Knucklebustersonly (09/27/11 12:22 AM)

#706553 - 09/27/11 01:31 AM Re: Drug Testing [Re: ]
River Nutrients

BTW ... these welfare druggies arent getting paid by the gubimint. They are getting paid by us tax paying stiffs. Many of them and you are smoking dope and doing drugs and excessive alcohol yourselves wink

Alcohol is far more dangerous, yet you have no problem with them welfare scummies buying and drinking apparently since it is "legal" even if they buy enough to slosh themself to a .25 and drive.

When your head gets sh!t out of your talking ass ... you might start to make sense. Right now ... you are just another rampant wingnut wanna be gubimint controller. When you sober up ... you will realize drug testing is a waste of time and money.

If you want to be a stickler, than yes, you could saw we are paying them thru our taxes. But you know damn well what I meant when I said paid by the government. They appropriate our tax money, knock it off with your short man syndrome and step down from the ladder.

The alcohol versus pot and which is worse debate will rage on because different folks have different perspectives. That being said I do agree it is dangerous but since it is legal we have no right to control it nor prosecute anyone for it as long as people don't drive or commit crimes or anything else illegal while drunk. This is obviously a gray area for some folks. I have no problem with people getting shitcanned drunk as long as they stay away from the wheel. Nowhere did I say it was OK to drink and drive. My point this whole time has been whether activity is illegal.

When you assume, you make an ass out of u. I don't engage in any drug usage and keep my alcohol intake in check thanks to a bad history of alcohol problems within the family. I understand that tax paying citizens smoke the reefer and screw around with the bottle, and contrary to your belief of my views, I don't think the govt should dick around and poke their head into our private lives.

Where it crosses the line is when folks getting paid by tax money are abusing drugs. ILLEGAL is that line. If you want to be paid on taxpayers dollars, than keep a clean record in that respect. Don't like it? Don't sign up for it. You were forewarned. Just the same with private employers who require drug tests. If I owned my own company, I'd like to make sure I wasn't hiring or employing someone who used illegal drugs...

Edited by Knucklebustersonly (09/27/11 01:41 AM)

#706557 - 09/27/11 02:09 AM Re: Drug Testing [Re: Knucklebustersonly]
Rooselk Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Burlington, WA
"If I have broken no laws I have nothing to hide nor fear."

I've heard those words many times, usually by those defending an intrusive government policy that seems at odds with our ideals of individual liberty and guaranteed rights. My queston is, when did nothing to hide become an American virtue? What became of the presumption of innocence?

#706559 - 09/27/11 02:57 AM Re: Drug Testing [Re: Rooselk]
RowVsWade Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Island Time
Originally Posted By: Rooselk
"If I have broken no laws I have nothing to hide nor fear."

I've heard those words many times, usually by those defending an intrusive government policy that seems at odds with our ideals of individual liberty and guaranteed rights. My queston is, when did nothing to hide become an American virtue? What became of the presumption of innocence?

Agreed. It's used to try to justify an "ends" to the "means".

Anti-American and disgusting on it's face.....not to mention a violation of the 4th Ammendment. Our founding Fathers would roll over in their graves knowing how our Republic has slid...

If you don't like our prices bring your wife down and we'll dicker.

#706580 - 09/27/11 10:47 AM Re: Drug Testing [Re: ]
MartyMoose Offline
Returning Adult

Quote:

And since you brought it up ... once employed ... that drugged up A & P mechanic does'nt get drug testing on a regular basis.

Really? That's news to me, because when I worked as one I was subject to random drug and alcohol testing on a regular basis, as part of the rules set forth by the FAA and the USDOT.

Do I want government intruding in my life? No more than you do, but you and I are not asking the government to support us, or at least I'm not. Getting a driver's license is not the same as asking for the government to pay for your livelihood, apples and oranges...apples and oranges.

Stigmatized? Really? I don't think they are asking anymore of someone on or applying for Welfare than they do of anyone else on the payroll of the state or federal government, except for the fact that the Welfare recipients are not WORKING for their money.

#706581 - 09/27/11 10:53 AM Re: Drug Testing [Re: ]
MartyMoose Offline
Returning Adult

No, I don't think that at all. I think you shouldn't be allowed to get fukked up on your own free time with drugs you bought with government (taxpayer) money.

If the gubimint is using the plastic cards now as they do ... how do druggies use them to buy drugs?

Hint Hank ... they DONT

They use cash from stealing your catylatic converter and wires from school playground lights from cashing in that crap to scrap yards.

Maybe you should drug test scrap dealers rofl

Try this on for size Chuck...

KING 5 Story

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Al Gore, czer, Robb92, wallyw
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1155 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13525
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63781 Topics
645406 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |