Fished the Skagit Saturday and Sunday for humpies.

Saturday I landed two, lost two at the boat, had another keep my spoon and missed about 20 strikes. They were striking light and it was a tiny little flick to the rod tip, and this was on a medium-light casting rod.

I thought I'd discovered a pattern and decided to go back on Sunday.

Well, it wasn't a repeat of Saturday, sorta a scaled down version.

We got there an hour later on Sunday because of the tides. Started hitting fish right away. I landed one, lost three at boatside and missed some strikes.

I thought the pattern was based on tide, so that's why we went later on Sunday. Turns out it seemed to be based on light intensity so we ended up missing an hour of the bite.

I ended up "schooling" my fishing partner on humpy fishing and showing him why he needed to upgrade his fishing gear. Also I got "schooled" by a boat fishing sandshrimp anchored in front of us. That boat was hitting a bunch of fish and the fish were taking the shrimp deeper than the spoons we were using. His fish weren't throwing the hook.

I may be back up next weekend. Headed out of Everett on Friday and if the fishing is good there we'll fish Everett again on Saturday... if not.... it's humpy fever time again.... and a side trip to GI Joes for flame orange Spin-and-Glows.