LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#709071 - 10/09/11 02:29 PM Spey Line Question?
RUNnGUN Offline
Repeat Spawner

New to Spey casting and looking for some advice on my lines, casting grease line/waking method. I own a Sage Z-Axis 7136 and posess 3 different lines...Skagit body 550gr, a running line w/ a Skagit Flight SHD 500gr, and another Skagit Flight SHD 525gr. All the casting I have done has been using sink tips attached to ends of these lines. My question is, if I use these strictly as floaters for waking or grease lining, do I need to add cheaters to get them to cast? I am headed to the Clearwater, GR, and Methow for 2 weeks and am going to non dredge for some Steel. Never been over there before and have never Spey casted a total floater.

#709090 - 10/09/11 03:09 PM Re: Spey Line Question? [Re: RUNnGUN]
What Offline
Spawner

Floating MOW tip.

#709095 - 10/09/11 03:22 PM Re: Spey Line Question? [Re: What]
RUNnGUN Offline
Repeat Spawner

I see that most MOW tips include a sinking portion. I have plenty of sink tips. One though is a 10' total float. Curious to which of my lines this xtra 10' would work the best? Will it help the cast that much?Thanks.

#709128 - 10/09/11 05:27 PM Re: Spey Line Question? [Re: RUNnGUN]
What Offline
Spawner

Medium full floating MOW without sinking portion, they're about $20. Casts will fail using your Skagit heads without some sort of tip, no cheater required.

#709132 - 10/09/11 05:50 PM Re: Spey Line Question? [Re: What]
RUNnGUN Offline
Repeat Spawner

Just got back from playing around on the river. Your right! Casts with the lines I have failed miserably. Definately need more SH length in the water to load the rod! Just never tried them without sink tips attached. Looks like an excuse to spend some more $$ tomorrow. Thanks for the info!

#709135 - 10/09/11 06:10 PM Re: Spey Line Question? [Re: RUNnGUN]
Gray Ghost Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Washington
No cheaters needed. Probably the most popular floating tip to use to make a floating Skagit head, is to use a Rio Mow floating tip. A 10' medium Rio Mow floating tip (450 to 575 Skagits) would be appropriate for your Skagit heads.

Airflo has recently come out with the new Rage floating Skagit head, which is quickly becoming the preferred floating Skagit head, versus adding a floating tip to a regular Skagit head.

#709146 - 10/09/11 07:36 PM Re: Spey Line Question? [Re: What]
Driftfishnw Offline
Steelhead Hitman

Originally Posted By: What
Floating MOW tip.

+10000 thumbs

#710083 - 10/13/11 03:29 PM Re: Spey Line Question? [Re: Driftfishnw]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

R&G,

A Scandi head is probably one of the easier ways to enter into casting and fishing a floating line. About 450-475 gr if the 500 Skagits are what you like for chucking tips. Disclaimer: I don't own, use, or have even tried a Scandi cuz I have a bunch of standard or short belly floating lines for my dry line needs.

Sg

#710137 - 10/13/11 08:47 PM Re: Spey Line Question? [Re: Salmo g.]
Direct-Drive Offline
ExtenZe Field Tester

Loc: Vancouver, WA
We had a guy in camp last week with this Skagit that looked like a clothesline. shocked
He was using a sink-tip which is not the norm on the D.
He did bag a big bassturd on it though.

We slam-dunked 'em with the hardware....that's the norm. grin
His partner, Bill, 68, up at 4:30 and hammerin' all day long (spey)...amazing dude. A fish bum at 68, fishin' roosterfish in Mex during winter and the D all summer long.

They were camped across from us....a classic sight with the gas lantern glow. Wish I had a tripod and a capable camera for that.
We lit up the spudgun with luminous charges on Saturday night.
Bill hollers, shoot some over here!
We've wanted to shoot that camp for years but didn't want to upset anyone. We're like...thank you God !!!!!!

Our best shot (last one) was about 15 feet offshore. It's a big river. The applause from Bill & Co. was like that of a fireworks display...awesome night in a roadless area deep in a canyon somewhere.

We need a bigger gun for next year. Workin' on it.
There's more to fishin' than just fishin'. grin

Luminous charges:
Load the spudgun and pour a little luminous juice from a light-stick down the barrel onto the potato.
The potato now looks like a tracer mortar round when shot....it's a beautiful sight guaranteed to put a smile on your face.
And when you're invited to shoot at the camp across the river, you're peein' down your leg in anticipation.
If the wind is blowing just right, the shooter comes away with a scourge of luminous freckles to go along with the luminous fingers. smile

"It wasn't me, officer."

#710139 - 10/13/11 08:54 PM Re: Spey Line Question? [Re: Direct-Drive]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
<= Guy to ask about spud guns that can cross the Deschutes.

Just sayin'.

smile

Fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#710141 - 10/13/11 09:07 PM Re: Spey Line Question? [Re: Todd]
Direct-Drive Offline
ExtenZe Field Tester

Loc: Vancouver, WA
Originally Posted By: Todd
<= Guy to ask about spud guns that can cross the Deschutes.

Just sayin'.

smile

Fish on...

Todd

Lower 24...pretty wide down there.
Workin' on a breach loader grin

#710192 - 10/14/11 12:36 AM Re: Spey Line Question? [Re: Direct-Drive]
ColeyG Offline
Ranger Danger

Loc: AK
+1 on the MOW tips. They got a good thing going there. Just picked up the full floating and another sinker or two in the heavy category this afternoon. Bout time someone got smart with all of this tip business.

EZ Thread Yarn Balls

"I don't care how you catch them, as long as you treat them well and with respect." Lani Waller in "A Steelheader's Way."

#710422 - 10/15/11 10:16 AM Re: Spey Line Question? [Re: Salmo g.]
RUNnGUN Offline
Repeat Spawner

Bought the 435gr Scandi and the MOW tip. Both cast well but I think the Scandi is a little easier. Will be using both and the MOW offers quick change to different tips. Thanks for the input.

#710559 - 10/16/11 12:50 PM Re: Spey Line Question? [Re: RUNnGUN]
What Offline
Spawner

?

#714211 - 10/30/11 07:49 PM Re: Spey Line Question? [Re: RUNnGUN]
RUNnGUN Offline
Repeat Spawner

Thanks for all the tips. Back from my trip. When I got to the Clearwater I found I needed more head length....struggled to get it way out. Went to see Poppy at the Red Shed and he fixed me up with an Airflow Delta Spey line. The 54' head was difficult to manage at first, but with some guidance from an expert it wasn't long and I had the hang of it. Best day there was 3 to the beach. Used the same setup on the GR and had multple hookups daily and was able to cover all the water easily. Beautiful country over there and definately going back. The Methow had been slow but some new fish seem to be moving in the lower stretches and made for some good fishing. The 2 week trip got cut short to 10 days but overall I think I hooked up 24 landed 18. The GR and Methow fish seem to be much smaller than the CR but still fun. Not a numbers guy but thought that was pretty good for my first time over. Definately a confidence booster and hope it carries over to the coast this winter. Have lots of pics but need to figure out how to post.

#714356 - 10/31/11 11:44 AM Re: Spey Line Question? [Re: RUNnGUN]
SkykomishSunrise Offline
Juvenile at Sea

[quote=RUNnGUN] Not a numbers guy but thought that was pretty good for my first time over.quote]

You definitely had a good trip!

Bill McMillan

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Cameron D., FlyingFish, NEfishLdo, shinnecock1
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 952 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14489
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63783 Topics
645421 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |