Loc: Everett
I use this recipe every single time I cook fish:

Topping
•3 tbsp margerine, melted but not hot
•1 lemon, juiced
•1 tsp ground black pepper
•1-2 tsp minced garlic
•1/4 onion finely chopped
•1 medium sized tomato, seeds removed and chopped finely.

Fish
•whole 2-5 lbs salmon or Hatchery Steelhead fillet.

Mix all the 'topping' ingredients well in a small bowl. Texture should be somewhat like salsa or chutney. Place fillet of salmon on a hot bbq grill, skin side down, directly on grill. Cover fillet with topping, doing your best to keep the topping from falling off the salmon (some will undoubtedly fall off, just do what you can!). Cover salmon and topping with a single sheet of aluminum foil, and form the foil to fit gently around the fish.

Cook ~10 minutes (or more, if fillet is thick!) to desired doneness. Recommend a medium-high or even high fire under the fish. The fish will usually separate quite easily from the skin, simply remove the fish by portioning with a knife or spatula, using your spatula to remove portions from the skin which should stick to the grill...and serve! Note you will not be turning the fish, this is a one-side and done cooking technique. Flip saptula over and scrape skin off grill while hot to ease with cleanup.

#730544 - 01/04/12 11:24 PM Re: BBQ Fish Recipes [Re: ]
The Moderator Offline
The Chosen One

Loc: Tuleville
The World's Best Salmon Sauce (Salmon Gravy)

(Endorsed by the Parker and Bucket Family)

Ingredients:

1 cube butter
2 cloves garlic
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup ketchup
2 TBSP French's Yellow Mustard
Dash of Worcestershire Sauce

Melt the butter over medium heat in a sauce pan. Once melted, add and stir in the remaining ingredients. Cook over medium heat for an additional 5 minutes.

Prepare salmon in to two fillets.

Get the BBQ smoking hot. Place the fillets meat side down directly on the grill and cook for 5 minutes. Flip the fillets over on to the skin side and baste with the sauce. Cook until the fish is finished.

#731927 - 01/09/12 11:19 PM Re: BBQ Fish Recipes [Re: The Moderator]
Bucket/Good Sport Offline
Kitsap's Crankiest Contractor

Loc: Poulsbo
Yup that be da chit there Parker!

#731990 - 01/10/12 08:25 AM Re: BBQ Fish Recipes [Re: Bucket/Good Sport]
Jerry Garcia Offline

Loc: everett
With fresh salmon

Alittle salt, a little pepper, a little garlic powder

DON'T OVER COOK

Growing old ain't for wimps
Lonnie Gane

#732116 - 01/10/12 05:03 PM Re: BBQ Fish Recipes [Re: Bucket/Good Sport]
NOFISH Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Olalla, WA
Originally Posted By: Bucket/Good Sport
Yup that be da chit there Parker!

Mmmmm Mmmmmm, Bucket's Salmon Gravy rocks thumbs

Damn Stam!
Remember, Ask yourself "What would Stam do?" smile

#732147 - 01/10/12 08:47 PM Re: BBQ Fish Recipes [Re: Jerry Garcia]
hybridcx Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: sequim, Wa
Originally Posted By: Jerry Garcia
With fresh salmon

DON'T OVER COOK

this is the way we prefer it as well....

sometimes we will sprinkle on some dungeness gold to mix it up...

#736986 - 01/31/12 02:28 PM Re: BBQ Fish Recipes [Re: hybridcx]
STRIKE ZONE Offline
GOOD LUCK

Loc: Hobart,Wa U.S.A
Tried the Bucket / Parker family salmon sauce last week on some URB from bouy-10,loved it.I ate it all myself but a small chunk,the wife tasted it and said she want's some so that's what's for dinner tonight.Just sayin............................Good luck,
SZ

#737230 - 02/01/12 02:06 PM Re: BBQ Fish Recipes [Re: STRIKE ZONE]
STRIKE ZONE Offline
GOOD LUCK

Round two was better then round one last week.Gotta love it.Good luck,
SZ

#739932 - 02/10/12 08:27 PM Re: BBQ Fish Recipes [Re: STRIKE ZONE]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

Salmo's super-secret BBQ salmon:

Ingredients:

Salmon, make that good fresh salmon like spring or summer chinook or URB or Fraser sockeye or LW or Baker sockeye, which are better than AK sockeye. Some silvers also make the grade.

Fire;
Alder;
Salt.

Salt the salmon fillet.
Either make an alder fire, or make a charcoal fire in a BBQ grill and add moistened alder wood chips.
Place fillet flesh side down on medium-hot grill;
turn once when the fillet is half cooked which depends how thick the fillet is. Inch thick will be 5 or 6 minutes per side.
Cook second side skin side down until fat begins to ooze out of the fillet. That means it's done. Never over-cook fish. (If you over-cook it, give it to your neighbors and start over.) Remove from grill and serve. Tis to die for, and any salmon cooked this way shall not have died in vain.

Goes well with old fashioned potato salad, the kind that has pickles and Plochman's mustard added.

#739971 - 02/10/12 10:18 PM Re: BBQ Fish Recipes [Re: Salmo g.]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
I'm with Salmo on this one...put very little on it, and cook it very little.

If whatever you're cooking doesn't taste good this way, then you probably shouldn't have bonked it to begin with wink

Fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#740009 - 02/11/12 02:19 AM Re: BBQ Fish Recipes [Re: Todd]
Dub Offline
Returning Adult

I'm of the mind if you have to slather the fish in a bunch of [Bleeeeep!] you dont like fish.

A little oil and a very little garlic pepper or lemon pepper and good to go.

Edited by Dub (02/11/12 02:21 AM)

#740704 - 02/14/12 09:09 PM Re: BBQ Fish Recipes [Re: Dub]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

Good quality salmon brings its own oil to the party. And garlic and lemon and pepper are strictly a personal matter.

Salmon that isn't out of this world the way I prepare it isn't really a food fish.

Sg

#740820 - 02/15/12 11:36 AM Re: BBQ Fish Recipes [Re: Salmo g.]
STRIKE ZONE Offline
GOOD LUCK

True when it comes to good fish and keeping it simple,how ever that get's boring @ times and needs to be mixed up a bit.Fresh springer I keep simple and the first part of the ocean season,but mid way through the ocean season and bouy-10 it's starts to get real boring so a guy needs to have a few options that are good and do not wreck the salmon.Good luck,
SZ

#740897 - 02/15/12 04:09 PM Re: BBQ Fish Recipes [Re: STRIKE ZONE]
redhook
Unregistered

i do thinks differently all the time... for Kokanee, i do it this way alot, Dill, Butter, Salt, Lemon, Pepper, Onions, cook till done...

for fillets, as its exposed meat, i go way lighter on the Dill, and dont add Onions all the time, but usually do..

as stated tho, never over cook, and never over season, fish is supposed to taste like fish... i just like mine with a little more stuff to the mix, still tastes like fish tho wink

#745413 - 03/06/12 12:25 PM Re: BBQ Fish Recipes [Re: ]
JTD Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Browns Point,Wa. USA

In similar fashion to Todd and Salmo G, I like to BBQ fish with simple ingredients

For salmon I like butter, lime and dill

For albacore I like to use olive oil and Johnny's seasoning and cook it well. This makes for great fish tacos and I pair it with a version of cole slaw consisting of 1/3 finely shredded cabbage, 1/3 coarsely grated and drained cucumber and 1/3 coarsely grated apple. Combine with 1/2 part sour cream, 1/2 part mayo and add apple cider vinegar, sugar and dill; all to taste.

Unfortunately I cook without exact measurements and it makes it difficult to share a recipe but these are both worth trying.

Edited by JTD (03/06/12 12:26 PM)
In the legend of King Arthur, the Fisher King was a renowned angler whose errant ways caused him to be struck dumb in the presence of the sacred chalice. I am no great fisherman, and a steelhead is not the covenant of Christ, but with each of these fish I am rendered speechless.

#749366 - 03/22/12 02:03 PM Re: BBQ Fish Recipes [Re: Salmo g.]
bota2 Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Allyn
Tried the Salmon Gravy last night...Awesome!!

#749479 - 03/22/12 07:36 PM Re: BBQ Fish Recipes [Re: bota2]
Chuck E Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Kitsap Peninsula
My son that lives in Ohio is coming out for a week's visit and to see Bill in Redmond, so I'm glad I checked the salmon recipes. I'll be cooking the kid fish all week so he can get his seafood fix. Good brats out there but how many can you eat a week?

#785265 - 09/12/12 05:26 AM Re: BBQ Fish Recipes [Re: Chuck E]
RB3 Offline
Repeat Spawner

My wife throws a layer of brown sugar on top of the fish. mmm

#785420 - 09/12/12 10:34 PM Re: BBQ Fish Recipes [Re: RB3]
FleaFlickr02 Offline
River Nutrients

Lots of good stuff, as usual. I like to keep it simple when I have great quality fish, and the only rule that can't be broken is not to overcook it.

Once in a while, I do like to mix it up a bit, but I always try to avoid overpowering the natural flavor of the fish. Here's one I really enjoy on occasion:

Salmon fillet, skin-on and sliced into desired portion sizes
Light olive oil
Salt
Pepper
Fresh bitter greens (spinach in a pinch)
Sherry vinegar
Garlic, chopped
Shallots, chopped

Season fish with salt and pepper. Coat with light olive oil (you can use extra virgin, but it will burn at high heat and lose most of its aroma, so why waste the good stuff?). Grill on high heat (gas for milder species, charcoal for sockeye) until fish is medium-rare to medium. Pull off and let rest.

Heat a sauté pan until smoking hot. Add a small amount of olive oil to the pan, immediately followed by garlic and shallots. Toss a couple times, and quickly add the greens, followed immediately by the sherry vinegar. Sauté for about 30 seconds, or until all greens are wilted.

Place bed of wilted greens on plate. Remove skin and lateral line from fish and place atop greens. Garnish with toasted sesame seeds. Eat.

#787959 - 09/24/12 10:05 AM Re: BBQ Fish Recipes [Re: FleaFlickr02]
ParaLeaks Offline
WINNER

Loc: Olypen
FF......I love that you remove the lateral line. I do the same as it removes so much of the potential for bad tasting fish. Solid work on this recipe!

#803065 - 11/26/12 11:25 PM Re: BBQ Fish Recipes [Re: ParaLeaks]
jam session Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Lake Goodwin
I really like the simple recipes that many have recommended, however my wife doesn't. So I tried a recipe that was meant for pork ribs but a BBQ forum reader recommended trying it on salmon, so I did. First meal was on Baker sockeye last summer and many silvers have followed. OMG that was really good! You don't need much and this recipe will last for many meals. It is also good on chicken or pork chops. Smear the filet with a little olive oil to hold the rub and then just add a little. Grill meat side down on a hot grill just enough to get sear marks and to caramelize the rub. About 3-4 minutes, then flip to skin side down to finish.

Memphis Dust Recipe from Meathead's BBQ forum

Yield. Makes about 3 cups. I typically use about 1 tablespoon per side of a slab of St. Louis cut ribs (edit: or salmon), and a bit less for baby backs. Store the extra in a zipper bag or a glass jar with a tight lid.
Preparation time. 10 minutes to find everything and 5 minutes to dump them together.

Ingredients
3/4 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
3/4 cup white sugar
1/2 cup paprika
1/4 cup Morton's kosher salt
1/4 cup garlic powder
2 tablespoons ground black pepper
2 tablespoons ground ginger powder
2 tablespoons onion powder
2 teaspoons rosemary powder

#806376 - 12/10/12 05:54 PM Re: BBQ Fish Recipes [Re: The Moderator]
NOFISH Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Olalla, WA
Originally Posted By: parker
The World's Best Salmon Sauce (Salmon Gravy)

(Endorsed by the Parker and Bucket Family)

Ingredients:

1 cube butter
2 cloves garlic
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup ketchup
2 TBSP French's Yellow Mustard
Dash of Worcestershire Sauce

Melt the butter over medium heat in a sauce pan. Once melted, add and stir in the remaining ingredients. Cook over medium heat for an additional 5 minutes.

Prepare salmon in to two fillets.

Get the BBQ smoking hot. Place the fillets meat side down directly on the grill and cook for 5 minutes. Flip the fillets over on to the skin side and baste with the sauce. Cook until the fish is finished.

Worked nicely last evening on the SRC fish Mr. Parker, thanks!

Damn Stam!
Remember, Ask yourself "What would Stam do?" smile

#924414 - 03/07/15 03:22 PM Re: BBQ Fish Recipes [Re: NOFISH]
RobertF
Unregistered

When I do albacore I do olive oil,salt ,pepper,a little garlic and fresh tarragon. Let that kick it in a bowl for an hour and then cook it hot,leave it a bit raw in the center and then devour it!

#991110 - 07/12/18 05:21 AM Re: BBQ Fish Recipes [Re: jam session]
JamesDavid Offline
Eyed Egg

Loc: Tampa, Florida
Originally Posted By: jam session
I really like the simple recipes that many have recommended, however my wife doesn't. So I tried a recipe that was meant for pork ribs but a BBQ forum reader recommended trying it on salmon, so I did. First meal was on Baker sockeye last summer and many silvers have followed. OMG that was really good! You don't need much and this recipe will last for many meals. It is also good on chicken or pork chops. Smear the filet with a little olive oil to hold the rub and then just add a little. Grill meat side down on a hot grill just enough to get sear marks and to caramelize the rub. About 3-4 minutes, then flip to skin side down to finish.

Memphis Dust Recipe from Meathead's BBQ forum

Yield. Makes about 3 cups. I typically use about 1 tablespoon per side of a slab of St. Louis cut ribs (edit: or salmon), and a bit less for baby backs. Store the extra in a zipper bag or a glass jar with a tight lid.
Preparation time. 10 minutes to find everything and 5 minutes to dump them together.

Ingredients
3/4 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
3/4 cup white sugar
1/2 cup paprika
1/4 cup Morton's kosher salt
1/4 cup garlic powder
2 tablespoons ground black pepper
2 tablespoons ground ginger powder
2 tablespoons onion powder
2 teaspoons rosemary powder

This looks delicious! I need to try this out.

#1004895 - 03/06/19 05:27 PM Re: BBQ Fish Recipes [Re: Jerry Garcia]
Tom Woodel Offline
Egg

Loc: 2452 Hickory Ridge Drive Las V...
Originally Posted By: Jerry Garcia
With fresh salmon

DON'T OVER COOK

Couldn't agree more, but I would add a little spice to it.

#1005032 - 03/07/19 09:01 PM Re: BBQ Fish Recipes [Re: Sky-Guy]
Tom Woodel Offline
Egg

Loc: 2452 Hickory Ridge Drive Las V...
If it's a fillet of fish, easiest way is in a nonstick pan with a bit of oil. Cool skin side down first (if there's skin on it) and then flip after about 3-5 minutes.

If it's a whole fish, you can roast in the oven on a baking sheet. Season the inside of the fish with garlic salt and pepper and olive oil. At about 400 degrees will take 15 minutes.

Edited by Tom Woodel (03/14/19 07:31 PM)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
3Gonads, herm
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1089 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13520
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645296 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |