LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#73361 - 05/01/06 06:11 PM Whats considered a good bass stringer?
Knucklebustersonly Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: WA
I'm a new and hooked bass fisher for 2006. I decided to go try and branch out to target a few other species I do not normally fish (I am usually a trout/salmon/saltwater/occasional perch/shellfish fisherman) and bass was my first fish on that priority. I recently went to a secret lake/pond I know of and managed to get about 6 Largemouth bass in 45 minutues and they were all about 5 lber's. How does that go in terms of a 5 fish weight? So take the best 5 it was 25-26 lbs or so how is that? What do some of the good bass fishermen get in terms of a 5 fish weight?

#73362 - 05/01/06 09:02 PM Re: Whats considered a good bass stringer?
Bill G Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Buckley Wa.
You would have taken top money at most of the tornements.
I am happy to have a 5 fish stringer of any size.
20 lbs is great.

#73363 - 05/01/06 09:05 PM Re: Whats considered a good bass stringer?
VHawk. Offline
River Nutrients

FishHunter,

1. Dude if your going to make claims like this you'd better post some pics. Thats an unbelievable huge catch of fish for 45 minutes. Not for WA, but even for SoCal where I spent more then a few days bass fishing.

2. My other thought is that your trying to bait the regular bass anglers into flaming you. True 5 lb bass in washington aren't that common. When you referred to to your take as a stringer of fish, I get the impression you were looking for fish for the fryer. If I'm wrong I apologize. If I'm right, then whoever told you about their 'secret pond' is going to be unhappy with you.

If you need help posting pics let me know, and I'll help.

VHAWK

#73364 - 05/01/06 10:39 PM Re: Whats considered a good bass stringer?
River Nutrients

There is no reason for me to come to a fishing board online to lie about what I caught. I am being completely honest and legit when I say that I caught a total of 6 5-6lb bass... If someone will direct me as to how to post pics, I would love to post them. I don't have all 6 of the fish I caught together in one picture though. I released everyone after I got the hook out as they were looking like they were on spawning beds. I didn't keep any of the fish on a stringer, as I was referring to a stringer as like competition standards as I prefer to be a catch and release fishermen...I just caught a total of 6 and I just put back every single one.. I was excited and took pictures of the first 2 fish, and the rest I briskly removed the hook without really taking the fish out of the water and sending them back harmlessly. I will give you a rundown as to what the lake is....It is a small maybe 4 acre lake at most, so a pond, and it's located in a dog park. The golf course drains its water into it and their are usually tons of small brown bullhead and bluegill in the summer but I never catch bass, but for some reason, the water is clear and you can literally walk around the lakes and see the bass that you drop your soft plastics on. You literally sight the fish and toss out your plastic of choice and it's really fun at this lake because every other time of the year except like 2 weeks the water is a disgusting greenish/brownish tint and you can't see anything and you have a 1 inch visibility range in the water...
So yea VHAWK I would love help in posting some pictures up of the bass, and when you said the thing about the "trying to bait the regular bass anglers into flaming you" I don't really get what you mean I guess if you could explain it that would be great I just have no clue what it means... but yea I would love help with the pics.
PS: I went back again today and got 2 more they were a little smaller one was still at 5 lbs, the other was 4 and a 1/8 lbs...

#73365 - 05/01/06 11:22 PM Re: Whats considered a good bass stringer?
VHawk. Offline
River Nutrients

Sorry FishHunter, but that really is a huge day on the water. Would be the equivalent of a 4 fish limit of 20 pound coho. I went back to through some of your old posts and didn't find anything to suggest your the kind of person to exaggerate. So take it as a big compliment that what you did was so extraordinary as to not be believable.
Send me whatever pictures you have to

vhawk29@hotmail.com

I'll post them for you. And I can smear any landmarks that might give away the location if you want. And would encourage you to never tell anybody about your lake.

Bill is right, a group of fish like that would be worth top prize at most big tournaments.
After I get those pics I'll owe you a beer.

VHawk.

#73366 - 05/01/06 11:31 PM Re: Whats considered a good bass stringer?
Mike C Offline

Loc: Redmond
To "bait" another angler, as in a Forum reader - to post an outrageous statement designed to get the reader to respond. Usually a negative or inflamatory statement. FH 07, I didn't think that was your intent as I see you posting on a regular basis. Your stringer (and I believe that is the right term in bass angling corners, though I'm no expert) is huge. And that would cause immediate doubts from most readers. If you look up reports on Silver lake, Cowlitz county and check out Dave Newby's pictures, you'll see him holding up stringers of fish which probably run 2-5 lb per fish on average. And I'd rank him as an advanced basser. BTW, bass anglers will save the fish in a live well until time for stringer pictures, and then release them afterward. There is some concern as to how much strain this puts on a bass, although from what I've seen they are hardy sons of guns. Good deal on your catch, not to be negative but you won't do that very often! beer

#73367 - 05/01/06 11:48 PM Re: Whats considered a good bass stringer?
River Nutrients

Yea Mike thats what I mean as to like a stringer, the whole livewell deal that are weighed in during tournaments and then released. But yea I have seen a lot of Dave's pics, but this little dog park lake is a tiny little pond and for some reason, the water has gone from 0 visibility to being able to see the fish and then placing your plastic worm in general location (I guess its like cheating fishing almost). I understand that something weird is going on that is making the water clear and fishable, because this water is pretty clear now and it is literally like a 1 inch visibility every other time of the year. I am completely happy getting like 1 or 2 12 inch bass every time I go to like Beaver Lake or Pine Lake and I know that this will never happen again as the lake will get really cloudy annd murky and I won't get any more bass and I wont get any other bass of this size in any other lakes, and certainly not 6 of them, and seeing that I am a novice bass fishermen... I love it when I'm there because if the people who walk their dogs there ask me if I catch anything, and I just say "No I'm just playing around" unless they saw me catch them..Oh and on the subject of the pictures, I only have 1 right now and its a camera phone pic (so its not good quality) but one of my fathers friends happened to be shooting professional family photo's for a family at the park and he took pictures of my first two fish because I caught them right next to where they were taking their pics and he said he would email them to me as soon as he could (im guessing he's busy because I haven't gotten them yet...) but i can send you the picture phone shot or we can wait for the good ones to come in...whichever works...but im sure the good ones will be worth the wait...Oh and the whole owe me a beer thing wont work I'm not of legal age but I understand where your coming from...Thanks for the offer maybe in a few years

#73368 - 05/02/06 01:00 AM Re: Whats considered a good bass stringer?
BASSER Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Tacoma Wa,
I would be will to go along with you FH07 and back up your story. Where was this pond again evil

They say 90% of the fish are in 10% of the water. I Just did not know it was one body of water.

Dave Newbe?? I thought those were all 1,lbs fish, and he was a midget. laugh

#73369 - 05/02/06 04:52 AM Re: Whats considered a good bass stringer?
VHawk. Offline
River Nutrients

FH07,

Although I am skeptical of stories like this, I wouldn't be a fisherman if I didn't hope that at least a few of them were true. I want to believe yours is as true as any.

Now some advice for when your pond colors up again. Most of my experience comes from Lake Perris in Riverside Co, Calif. It had great vis most of the year, but occasionally after post spawn, the lake would get an algae bloom that turned the vis to about an inch. We fished small spinnerbaits very early or very late, added a glass or plastic bead between the bullet weight and our plastic worms, and we added scent to everything. You need to fish your worms very slowly. So slow that people think your plunking. When you finally move your worm do give it a sharp snap up with the rod tip 3-4 inches. Count to 20 and do it again.

1-3 pound fish were common. 5 pounders were frequently seen, if only rarely caught, and the largest we saw was an 11 pounder taken during an algae bloom on a black grub. So if you experiment i'm sure you could do well the rest of the year.

Eagerly waiting for a pic or two in my email.

#73370 - 05/02/06 09:44 AM Re: Whats considered a good bass stringer?
River Nutrients

Basser, I would love to give you the location of this pond I know of, but that would ruin it...I don't want anybody really to know that it has bass this big...VHAWK: I will get you those pics asap I have to go to school now but I will send you some as soon as I get them in from the photographer...unless that takes too long I will just send you the camera phone ones...

#73371 - 05/05/06 12:06 AM Re: Whats considered a good bass stringer?
T Dot Offline
Parr

Loc: tha.pirate.ship
hey

my friend and i live pretty close to where you are from. we always go out fishing for bass at local lakes and ponds.

maybe we have seen you around?

if you want a few more fishing buddies let me know, we can hit up a few local lakes.

smile

#73372 - 05/05/06 12:22 AM Re: Whats considered a good bass stringer?
River Nutrients

Hey T DOT...nice to hear someone on this board is around Bellevue..Where are you at? I might have seen you around if you fish lakes like Pine, Beaver, but yea if you guys want to go anytime I would love some companions on the local lakes. what lakes are you guys at? I fish a lot at Pine, Beaver, and Deer and Lone at Whidbey Island, but I also fish the big Lake Washington alot too...I currently fish out of a 9 foot inflatable with a motor, but I am soon to get a 12 or 14 foot aluminum Lund within the next two weeks....and it will also have a good sized motor to push it along...

#73373 - 05/05/06 01:29 PM Re: Whats considered a good bass stringer?
mreyns_tgl Offline
Random VaJJ Stalker

Loc: Port Angeles
When are we gonna see these pictures?

#73374 - 05/05/06 06:13 PM Re: Whats considered a good bass stringer?
River Nutrients

Vhawk said he would post them for me cause I don't know how to, I sent him one already a few days ago...

#73375 - 05/05/06 08:42 PM Re: Whats considered a good bass stringer?
T Dot Offline
Parr

hey

i just sent you an email

anyways, we fish pine and beaver. we recently picked up an aluminum boat, so we are working our way through most of the local lakes.

we are always up for hitting new lakes and what not.

smile

we are going to pine this weekend

#73376 - 05/05/06 08:44 PM Re: Whats considered a good bass stringer?
River Nutrients

I replied to it...

#73377 - 05/05/06 09:19 PM Re: Whats considered a good bass stringer?
T Dot Offline
Parr

how much did you pick up the lund for?

#73378 - 05/06/06 12:59 AM Re: Whats considered a good bass stringer?
River Nutrients

I haven't gotten it yet...I am getting it soon though...It will be a plain Lund Boat with 3 rows of bench seats I am picking it up new for i think under $1300 but I won't get much use out of it in the freshwater as it will be a dinghy with a 10hp evinrude in the saltwater to get to the 21 foot campion and back to the beach and when I don't want to take out the big boat to pick up crab pots and do a little fishing...

#73379 - 05/06/06 03:46 PM Re: Whats considered a good bass stringer?
Big Bad Voodoo Daddy Offline
Spawner

Loc: Enumclaw
Dang I want to see some pics...

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 570 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 27837
Dan S. 16958
Sol Duc 15727
The Moderator 13941
Salmo g. 13394
eyeFISH 12606
STRIKE ZONE 11969
Dogfish 10878
ParaLeaks 10363
Jerry Garcia 9013
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63786 Topics
645450 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |