THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#736161 - 01/26/12 01:26 PM Re: center pin tactics and tricks? [Re: westcoastpinhead]
gregsalmon Offline
Spawner

Loc: alaska and washington
Is there a reason to use a centre pin instead of a spinning reel?

#736165 - 01/26/12 01:37 PM Re: center pin tactics and tricks? [Re: gregsalmon]
westcoastpinhead Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: sw wa
Yes there are several reasons:
Drag free drifts
Effortless mending
Total conection to fish during fight due to the lack of a drag system

I've out fished a few buddys that were using spinning gear just because my drift was smoother and had no slack alowing me to drift farther down the slot at a natural speed wich resulted in me getting 2 hook ups to there 1

Team shimano snapper, "dude weres my bobber?", jaw dropper jigs, deathboat comandos

#736167 - 01/26/12 01:38 PM Re: center pin tactics and tricks? [Re: westcoastpinhead]
westcoastpinhead Offline
Juvenile at Sea

I havnt touched my spinning rod since I got the centerpin

Team shimano snapper, "dude weres my bobber?", jaw dropper jigs, deathboat comandos

#736169 - 01/26/12 01:47 PM Re: center pin tactics and tricks? [Re: westcoastpinhead]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
I really enjoy fishing my centerpins...but there is one rather significant myth out there about them...they are no better at fishing floats than baitcasters.

You can get a drag free float with any good baitcaster, plus a baitcaster is easier to cast, and it's much faster at catching up with a fish or retrieving your cast, and mending line is as simple as mending line, with any rod that's long enough.

Spinning reels...well, anything's better than a spinning reel. wink

'Pins are good at two things...being a different way to fish, and it's fun to fight fish with no drag.

I've got a blue bruise under my right thumbnail to prove it wink

Fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#736170 - 01/26/12 01:49 PM Re: center pin tactics and tricks? [Re: westcoastpinhead]
westcoastpinhead Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Anybody had problems with loose slide bands?
I've got the solution.... bicycle innertube cut at about 2 inches then streched over the cork and onto the slide rings, shure helps hold the cp on the rod. Hope sombody finds this usefull

#736171 - 01/26/12 01:52 PM Re: center pin tactics and tricks? [Re: westcoastpinhead]
westcoastpinhead Offline
Juvenile at Sea

I agree you can get good drifts with a baitcaster but its the fish to man conection you get by not having drag that makes it soo dam addicting

#736195 - 01/26/12 06:08 PM Re: center pin tactics and tricks? [Re: Todd]
Ikissmykiss Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Snohomish County
Originally Posted By: Todd

Fish on...

Todd

That's it? I have a small cut under my right eye and it's kinda black too. rofl

Ike

#736224 - 01/26/12 09:07 PM Re: center pin tactics and tricks? [Re: SkykomishSunrise]
JWS Offline
Egg

Loc: Lake Stevens
I've been running the P-line hi-vis in 12lb as well for my mainline. So far it's worked out just fine for me with the exception of some line twist issues here and there, probably my technique causing this more than anything. I picked up my first CP set up this last summer (11' Raven, Okuma Aventa) and have had a hard time putting it down! It was supposed to be just another "Tool for my box" but its just to much fun.

#736227 - 01/26/12 09:20 PM Re: center pin tactics and tricks? [Re: JWS]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Originally Posted By: JWS
So far it's worked out just fine for me with the exception of some line twist issues here and there, probably my technique causing this more than anything.

If you're doing that "pull the line off the side of the spool around your elbow" thingy, then that's exactly what it is.

Fish on...

todd

#736231 - 01/26/12 09:28 PM Re: center pin tactics and tricks? [Re: Todd]
JWS Offline
Egg

Loc: Lake Stevens
You nailed it! So far that's the only way I've been able to cast and achive any sort of distance. The line twist hasn't ruined any of my days on the water....I'll have to give the other methods a shot again.

#736237 - 01/26/12 09:41 PM Re: center pin tactics and tricks? [Re: JWS]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Don't be afraid to put on a lot of weight, and really load the rod up...otherwise you'll continually be tossing it about seven feet!

Fish on...

Todd

#736274 - 01/27/12 12:45 AM Re: center pin tactics and tricks? [Re: Todd]
Sky-Guy Offline
The Tide changed

Loc: Everett
Originally Posted By: Todd
I really enjoy fishing my centerpins...but there is one rather significant myth out there about them...they are no better at fishing floats than baitcasters.

You can get a drag free float with any good baitcaster, plus a baitcaster is easier to cast, and it's much faster at catching up with a fish or retrieving your cast, and mending line is as simple as mending line, with any rod that's long enough.

Spinning reels...well, anything's better than a spinning reel. wink

'Pins are good at two things...being a different way to fish, and it's fun to fight fish with no drag.

Fish on...

Todd

+1 to all that and using a baitcatser I can get two drifts through the zone in the time it takes a PInner to cast, drift, retreive, and recast once.

Covering more water all day=more fish, in case that's a new concept to some of ya.....

#736278 - 01/27/12 12:58 AM Re: center pin tactics and tricks? [Re: Sky-Guy]
big o Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: bothell
^^^^ Elitist D!ck

#736283 - 01/27/12 01:07 AM Re: center pin tactics and tricks? [Re: big o]
ColeyG Offline
Ranger Danger

Loc: AK
The pin is something to do for the novelty or enjoyment of fishing a center pin rod and reel, not because it is the ultimate anything. Granted there are a few things that the pin setup excels at, but when a comprehensive pro vs con list is made, I think a smooth bait casting reel on a 10-11' fast action float rod takes the award for "most effective."

EZ Thread Yarn Balls

"I don't care how you catch them, as long as you treat them well and with respect." Lani Waller in "A Steelheader's Way."

#736287 - 01/27/12 01:29 AM Re: center pin tactics and tricks? [Re: SkykomishSunrise]
Mooch Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Kingston, WA
Originally Posted By: SkykomishSunrise
I have been thinking about trying braid.

Originally Posted By: JWS
So far it's worked out just fine for me with the exception of some line twist issues here and there, probably my technique causing this more than anything.

Pinners, just say NO to side casting and braid! wink

To the line issue, braid is the worst line ever for CP for many reasons:

1. Low memory line is good, but limp line is bad.
2. Bird's nests are very manageable with good mono CP line, braid is a nightmare just waiting to happen.
3. Make a few side casts with braid and you'll tear the line off the reel after you've torn every hair out out of your toupe.
4. Bring bandaids if you plan on strip casting or ever get hung up.
5. Braid will destroy your lightweight Recoil guides on your fancy Loomis CP rod.
6. Braid works best for backing.

IMO, side casts are the "cast of last resort". Like Todd says, use more weight and a bigger float, or maybe a better balanced system. Definitely learn other techniques such as the swing cast, Wallis cast or start up cast, before defaulting to the simple side cast. If you still like side casting or NEED the extra distance it can produce, learn the "spinning" side cast to reduce dreaded line twist. Truth is you really don't need to cast that far with a CP to be effective anyway, since one of the biggest advantages to the CP is the ability to "pay' out line smoothly under control. If you are going to intentionally introduce twist and destroy the direct connection to your terminal tackle for a little extra distance, you might as well be using a spinning rod. With practice you should be able to easily cast 3/8 oz. 60' or better without using a side cast. Save the side cast for the shorter casts in those really cramped spots or suffer frustration from line twist and tangles.

True that pinning is generally no better or more effective than other way of fishing, but it is definitely different and for me it's a whole lot more fun.

It's not for everybody, but if you've never tried it, don't hesitate to talk to a pinner on the river. Most I know are very happy to share what they know about this fun technique.
Matt. 8:27   The men were amazed and asked, “What kind of man is this? Even the winds and the waves obey him!”

#736295 - 01/27/12 01:47 AM Re: center pin tactics and tricks? [Re: Sky-Guy]
Mooch Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Kingston, WA
Originally Posted By: Sky-Guy

Covering more water all day=more fish, in case that's a new concept to some of ya.....

Ryley,

Ever heard the young bull, old bull joke?

Originally Posted By: Sky-Guy
using a baitcatser I can get two drifts through the zone in the time it takes a PInner to cast, drift, retreive, and recast once.

Anyway, let's review:

cast time - very little difference - slight advantage bait caster
drift time - same - no advantage
retrieve - 4.5 CP 1:1 reel take up is 1/2 as fast as a e7 200 series reel. - clear advantage bait caster
But using CP flick (bat) pump retrieve, just as fast or faster than a e7 200 reel. - No advantage
recast - see above

PS

Although I swing both ways myself, it's a whole lot easier to pull off the elitist thing with a Milner and a pin rod than a Revo and a casting rod. Just saying'. wink
Matt. 8:27   The men were amazed and asked, “What kind of man is this? Even the winds and the waves obey him!”

#736329 - 01/27/12 11:16 AM Re: center pin tactics and tricks? [Re: Sky-Guy]
What Offline
Spawner

This thread is being closely monitored...

#736330 - 01/27/12 11:27 AM Re: center pin tactics and tricks? [Re: What]
Sky-Guy Offline
The Tide changed

Loc: Everett
I love the analogy Mooch, ....hilarious, but it doesn't quite apply.

I had my sarcastic hat on last night and was comparing apples to oranges. There is no right or wrong, good or bad, best or worst way here, just different styles that both get the job done while offering the angler different ways of satisfying their fishing styles.
I typically float fish from a boat when moving down a stream and want to hit a lot of water and not let water pass me by all day, so I choose to employ a technique that allows me to cover as much of it as possible. Fit's my fishing style.

Pinning from a boat under the same conditions would be less than ideal IMO. But, you might have more fun than using a baitcaster, and if that suits ya, have at it!

Don't worry about What and his monitoring, his attention span is as long as a kitten on meth and high on catnip.

#736331 - 01/27/12 11:33 AM Re: center pin tactics and tricks? [Re: What]
SkykomishSunrise Offline
Juvenile at Sea

At least in my own case, I eventually got so tired of line twist, that I made myself learn how to cast. Like some of the other posters, I will use the spinning side casts when I am in very cramped conditions. But otherwise, I will use a Wallis cast or cast BC style.

Edited by SkykomishSunrise (01/27/12 11:36 AM)

Bill McMillan

#736368 - 01/27/12 02:25 PM Re: center pin tactics and tricks? [Re: SkykomishSunrise]
BrianL Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Bothell, WA
I'll de-lurk as a 'pinner and offer an Absofnlutely to Mooch's comments on braid and the evils of the side cast. Started with braid and used it for awhile.

Cuts on fingers, almost taking the tip top off, yellow line you can't see, etc etc. and I finally switched.

I think it was RVRFSHR Joe that originally gave braid on centerpins the Double Bird, and he was right. Now it's either IZORLINE or some other abrasion-resistant hi-vis in either 12 or 15lb.

And stay away from the sidecasts. This isn't the Great Lakes- weight up! I typically run at least 1/2oz, usually 3/4 in the winter/spring. BC or Wallis are the way to go unless you own stock in a line mfg company.

Cheers,

Brian

Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Al Gore, czer, Robb92, wallyw
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (darth baiter), 1278 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63781 Topics
645410 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |