Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#74743 - 02/10/02 10:37 AM Handgun loads for toothy critters
Steeliegreg Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Port Angeles, WA
Howdy all! The "small caliber" link got me thinking. What are your favotite calibers and loads for cougar/bear defense?
As per my comment in the other link, I carry a .45 ACP with 165gr. Hydra-Shoks, good penetration, good blood channel, around 1100FPS, and plenty of punch. I used to carry a .41 Mag Blackhawk with plain jacketed ammo. What do you carry and why?

#74744 - 02/11/02 01:42 AM Re: Handgun loads for toothy critters
HBP Offline
Spawner

Loc: Everett,Wa
Steeliegreg,are you sure your not talking about my post? ha,ha,ha. Anyways, you and I seem to have a similar thought process,until you said you carry a .45 with 165gr loads for bear.The reason I carry my .45 for cats is because there not nearly as tough as bears,smaller skeleton and less muscle as well as thinner skin, you don't need much penetration to ruin their day. Bears on the other hand are just plain tough, I shot a 150 lb black bear a couple yrs back with my .338 win mag shooting 225gr Federal High Energy loads, two shots in the chest at about 100yds,thats like 8000lbs of energy and he didn't drop for 40yds. If you shot a bear with the .45 load mentioned above you'd hit him with a pathetic 400lbs of energy and the bullet would be lucky to penetrate enough to kill it before it got ya! after seeing first hand how bad a$$ even small bears are,I gotta carry more gun if I am concerned about bears thats why I carry a .41 mag Ruger Blackhawk with handloaded 210gr ammo and thats because I can't always carry my .338 or a 12ga. with slugs. Just something to think about.

- no boss, no clock, no stress, no dress code...no shoes,no shirts, no problems. - Kenny Chesney -

#74745 - 02/13/02 11:55 PM Re: Handgun loads for toothy critters
kingfisher Offline
Fry

Loc: Palmer,Alaska
41 mag?Better save the last one for yourself!Min 44 mag,with 224 grain hard cast,and still save the last one for yourself.For bear go with a 12 ga,or if you got to carry a leg iron get a 454 or a 475.

#74746 - 02/14/02 12:28 AM Re: Handgun loads for toothy critters
HBP Offline
Spawner

Loc: Everett,Wa
kingfisher, I carry my .41 because it's the biggest pistol I own, I know it's not the best choice for bears but we don't have any griz or brown bears to worry about in Wa. I dont want to use it in self-defense anyway, it's a last resort,but when were camping or hiking I dont want to lug my .338 so I carry a pistol, and if thats all I have at the time and it came down to having to shoot a bear in self- defense I'd rather have a .41 than nothing at all.

- no boss, no clock, no stress, no dress code...no shoes,no shirts, no problems. - Kenny Chesney -

Moderator:  Bob, Jerry Garcia, ReiterRat, Sky-Guy 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
3Gonads, herm
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (steely slammer), 1085 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13520
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645291 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |