LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#74778 - 02/20/02 04:12 PM Push Button, Slate, Mouthpiece, or......
Chromeo Offline
Spawner

Loc: Kenmore, WA
what do uou guys think would be the best turkey call? GameHunter and I were at GI Joes last night and it dosent seem like you can get the clicks with the push button like you can on the slate. the slate seems alot harder and would be kind of inconvient if you need to shoot. havent used the mouthpiece tho.
Thanks
Tyler

#74779 - 02/20/02 04:30 PM Re: Push Button, Slate, Mouthpiece, or......
Denali1 Offline
Alevin

Loc: Spokane
Tyler,

You got turkey fever or what? The best call to use is really up to the user. Which one can you make the best/most realistic sounds with consistenly. From a pure hunting perspective, the diaphram call is the best as it requires no hands or movement. You can call while holding your gun to your shoulder those important last few steps. Alot of people struggle with the diaphram calls however. They are not that hard to use with a little practice. If I were just starting out I'd go for a good box call and a slate. The box call will give you more volume and the slate will give you some finesse such as purrs and clucks. The slate will make better sounds once you scratch it up and wear down the stryker a little. Be sure to carry some chalk for the box call. Oh yea, on the slate calls, give serious consideration to the aluminium ones as they work well even when wet. A wooden box call as well as a pure slate call will struggle in the rain.

#74780 - 02/20/02 06:23 PM Re: Push Button, Slate, Mouthpiece, or......
Chromeo Offline
Spawner

hey thanks man. i am so pumped for the turks. ask gamehunter thats all ive been blabbeling about.
tyler

#74781 - 02/20/02 07:22 PM Re: Push Button, Slate, Mouthpiece, or......
fish4steel Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: yelm, wa
Tyler, don't overlook some of the acrylic calls (like the slate). I have a power crystal call that works wonders, and with different strikers you can really manipulate the sound of the call. The carbon strikers are finickey, but you can get a nice high pitch out of them. My favorite has to be the purple heartwood striker. Some of the push button calls can be used to get the bird in close, as you are only moving your fingers, but the with eyesight of a wise old Tom..... Have fun. I used to enjoy roaming around the hills of Oklahoma chasing turkeys when I was stationed there.

#74782 - 02/22/02 05:08 PM Re: Push Button, Slate, Mouthpiece, or......
lugnutt Offline
Eyed Egg

Loc: Olympia
TTT- I prefer a slate call. make sure you keep the surface clean with fine wool or a cleaning pad sold for this purpose. I recommend you get a mouth call and keep tying till you can use one. They work great for cutting - also good at irritating people at red lights while you are practicing.
Good luck---

#74783 - 02/26/02 06:42 PM Re: Push Button, Slate, Mouthpiece, or......
Chromeo Offline
Spawner

ok guys

I picked up a package of 3 mouth calls, its the H.S. Strut 3 pack i came with a Single D, Double D, and Split v II. it was cheap like $10 so i got it cause i wanted to start practicing early to be flawless for this upcoming spring. i have found the easiest to use was the Split v II then the double d andthe singlev just a B1tch to use. In the package there were no instructions on when to use each of the calls. can you help? GameHunter is picking up one of the slate calls and I think tha one of our other buddies is gettin the push button so we can have the necessary calls at the necessary times. also why do crow and owl calls work good for locators?
Thanks
Tyler

#74784 - 02/26/02 07:46 PM Re: Push Button, Slate, Mouthpiece, or......
fish4steel Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: yelm, wa
Tyler, the crow and owl hoot calls are to induce a "shock" gobble. Sometimes a gobbler will sound off at any loud noise, like the slamming of a car door. The owl hoot can be used early in the morning (before sunrise-when owls are vocal) to provoke old Tom to tell you where he is; you would not want to be using a turkey call because the birds would still be on the roost and not actively calling. You guys are making me envious with all this talk about turkey hunting!

#74785 - 02/27/02 08:12 PM Re: Push Button, Slate, Mouthpiece, or......
lugnutt Offline
Eyed Egg

Loc: Olympia
TTT- each of the mouth calls has a diffrent sound to it-- some are raspy, some are more clear.
Keep fooling with it, put your tongue on the tip of the front of the open end and huff. THe single reed is the easiest to learn on.

When you see a bird, or can hear them getting closer or working towards you, you want to tone down the calling. you may want to make soft clucks that sound calm and sweet. Decoys work great. I prefer tow hens and a jake. If a tom locks up, starts strutting back and forth, he wants the hen to come to him (they may do this out of gun range). If you have a jake, put it where you want to shoot the tom. They will more often run towards a jake and not get hung up. I have heard of hunters taking a hen, put a stick thru her, and put her so her belly is on the ground. Put the jake on top of her like he is breeding her-- a gobbler will straight out run and attack. If a gobbler is working, do not over call. If he stops calling, don't think he has quit. Smart ones will often circle around and check things out. Birds are easiest early in the year- they may no be broken up, may be in flock, this is hard to call tom away from the flock if hens are with them. THe best way to hunt this is to find out where they roost, and try to set up in the general direction they will head to when they fly down. At the crack of first light, make a few soft sleepy yelps on a slate. THis will be the wake up and fly down call. Take your hat, slap your pants, this sounds like turkey wings. If you scare a flock, they will spread out and hit the trees. GIve them about 20 to 30 minutes, move in close and start calling them back together. Turkeys act differently as the season goes on-- they are in a flock, the gobblers will then seperate and start looking for hens. THis is when they are hot-- if you call a bird and he cuts you off, he is hot and can be shot. If they are with hens, and a hen calls back, cut her off - she may lead the flock to you. Don't blink an eye- they can see just about 360-- e mail me at case2302@aol, subject turkey if you want to talk more. good luck --

#74786 - 03/08/02 07:41 PM Re: Push Button, Slate, Mouthpiece, or......
fishrmn Offline
Smolt

Loc: Shelton, WA
Diaphragm calls, for sure, especially if they are in sight. You can still make excellent calls and not move a muscle. Turkeys have really good eyesight, and will pick up on the slightest movement.

Moderator:  Bob, Jerry Garcia, ReiterRat, Sky-Guy 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
3Gonads, herm
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (steely slammer), 1085 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13520
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645291 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |