THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#748371 - 03/18/12 02:49 PM Re: Best Set up for roof rod rack in fiberglass canopy [Re: Fast and Furious]
Direct-Drive Offline
ExtenZe Field Tester

Loc: Vancouver, WA
I wouldn't even entertain the adhesive idea.

1. These racks are exposed to constant dynamic loading....bounce, bounce, etc. and would really test your adhesive of choice.
Mechanical fasteners rule for this app.

2. The new, deluxe canopies are very expensive and who wants to go hacking into that nice headliner that you paid dearly for, just to get to a gluing surface that may or may not work.

#748373 - 03/18/12 02:57 PM Re: Best Set up for roof rod rack in fiberglass canopy [Re: Direct-Drive]
Dan S. Offline
It all boils down to this - I'm right, everyone else is wrong, and anyone who disputes this is clearly a dumbfuck.

Loc: SE Olympia, WA
DD has a point, Dave.

I can send you some adhesive that would glue that white rack to the carpet/liner, and the carpet would leave the canopy shell before the rack would come unstuck from the carpet/liner..................but that could be a problem in that you're never going to be able to "unglue" it.

Bon Scott - Shot Down in Flames

#748376 - 03/18/12 03:09 PM Re: Best Set up for roof rod rack in fiberglass canopy [Re: Dan S.]
Dave Vedder Offline
Reverend Tarpones

Loc: West Duvall
Thanks for all the input. I think I'm gonna go with the cedar 1X3 with the plastic rack screwed to it. I think I can do a tight fit force with the 1X3 so it will stay put. If not, i will get some of the glue Dan recommends.

#748400 - 03/18/12 04:22 PM Re: Best Set up for roof rod rack in fiberglass canopy [Re: Dave Vedder]
Direct-Drive Offline
ExtenZe Field Tester

Originally Posted By: Dave Vedder
Thanks for all the input. I think I'm gonna go with the cedar 1X3 with the plastic rack screwed to it. I think I can do a tight fit force with the 1X3 so it will stay put. If not, i will get some of the glue Dan recommends.

Take your time with the chopsaw, and keep nipping until you get just the tightness that you want.
Put a bend in the 1x as you move it into place and then compression will take over when you let go.
Put the pre-drilled-to-the-cedar, plastic rack on the 1x after the 1x is in place.

Good luck.
Take pics.

Edit:
If you have metal framed windows it may be possible to use a piece of light aluminum angle (hardware store) that borrows some existing frame screws to join the 1x to the frame. It could be made tidy and would positively secure the 1x if compression didn't work.

#748402 - 03/18/12 04:50 PM Re: Best Set up for roof rod rack in fiberglass canopy [Re: Direct-Drive]
RognSue Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: edmonds
In our Suburban
Cargo brace made for pick-up bed, cheap n easy...

#748403 - 03/18/12 05:00 PM Re: Best Set up for roof rod rack in fiberglass canopy [Re: RognSue]
Direct-Drive Offline
ExtenZe Field Tester

That looks pretty damn nice Rog !

smile

#748405 - 03/18/12 05:09 PM Re: Best Set up for roof rod rack in fiberglass canopy [Re: Direct-Drive]
RognSue Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: edmonds
Holds 11 rod, 10'6" rods tap on the front windshield, other than that it's overhead n outta the way

#748409 - 03/18/12 05:22 PM Re: Best Set up for roof rod rack in fiberglass canopy [Re: RognSue]
Direct-Drive Offline
ExtenZe Field Tester

That's the name of the game.
Up and outa the way.
Outa sight as well.

Nicely done.

thumbs

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Dick laxton, Lil Blue Sled, Lil Red Sled, Solash, The Moderator, WeServe
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
2 registered (steely slammer, 20 Gage), 1325 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63779 Topics
645377 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |