Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#75130 - 09/08/02 03:03 PM duck hunting on hood canal
hungry_bear Offline
Alevin

Loc: kitsap county washington
I am looking for any info about hunting waterfowl on hood canal/ kitsap side or between port ludlow and quilcene. I have a boat and a few dozen dekes, don't really have much time to travel to far from home. I have seen guys out down around belfair but thats about it. Can some one point me in the right direction?

thanks in advance

#75131 - 09/11/02 08:45 PM Re: duck hunting on hood canal
fish monger Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Seattle
Don't know too much about hunting the Belfair or Quilcene area, but if you're willing to drive a half hour more, Skokomish Flats can be decent at times. Haven't hunted there for a few years, but used to do okay. Kind of hit or miss. Pretty good access too at either Potlatch or Union.

The fields around Hunter Farms (pheasant release site there as well) often flood and pull in quite a few birds on nasty days.

Hope this helps some.

#75132 - 09/11/02 11:59 PM Re: duck hunting on hood canal
HBP Offline
Spawner

Loc: Everett,Wa
My brother lives in Poulsbo,so we hunt Quilcene bay on occasion. The thing I don't like about it is there's not alot of area to hunt in the bay. All it takes is a couple guys hunting there and the shooting goes downhill. The birds in the early season are easy to decoy,but after a couple weeks they get really decoy shy and it's pass shooting after that. The bay never see's many northern birds so the shooting slows down pretty quick.

You have a boat,and that will help cause most of the guys in boats have good shoots. I have never taken my boat out there but I will one of these days. If you like shooting mallards,you won't like Quilcene or the Hood Canal. Widgeons are the most common bird there 75-80%,a few teal,pintails and scaup make up the rest of the birds. We hunted there 3 days last year and only shot 2 mallards between us. Good hunting!!

- no boss, no clock, no stress, no dress code...no shoes,no shirts, no problems. - Kenny Chesney -

#75133 - 09/14/02 12:09 PM Re: duck hunting on hood canal
hungry_bear Offline
Alevin

Loc: kitsap county washington
Thanks for sharing the information. I hope to make an initial scouting trip this weekend.Anyone near bainbridge island interested in hunting birds locally this fall?

#75134 - 09/25/02 02:40 AM Re: duck hunting on hood canal
Capn Dan Offline
Eyed Egg

Loc: Deer Island
Beware of your decoy lines. Make them extra extra long or they will float away with a big tide. Usually lots of wiegeon flying in that area.

Moderator:  Bob, Jerry Garcia, ReiterRat, Sky-Guy 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
dizzy fisherman
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1248 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14489
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63783 Topics
645418 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |