THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#759141 - 05/11/12 04:33 PM new fly line..
redhook
Unregistered

so i have decided im going to put new line on the Hardy... i dont know much about fly lines except that i have a "rocket taper" on my Cortland... this line will be used on my Sage 7100 RP 10' 7#...

so how should i go about this? Shooting Head? Rocket Taper?

also what brand, Rio, Cortland +444, SA?

id like to use it for everything, but id also like it to cast easy and not be difficult to handle and deal with...

thoughts from the pros?

thanks, Nate...

#759144 - 05/11/12 05:11 PM Re: new fly line.. [Re: ]
MikeH Offline
Spawner

Loc: Washington
Are you looking for floating or sinking line????? It all depends on what your going to be using it for.

Google.

#759145 - 05/11/12 05:18 PM Re: new fly line.. [Re: MikeH]
redhook
Unregistered

thats what i dont know... what should i do for all around? i have sink tips with loop systems that i could add if i want i suppose... i also have a spare spool that i could put a sink tip on and the other a floating line..

id like to use it for Cutts, Trout in lakes, Salmon (not near as much)... i figured i could get away with using weighted flies if i didnt get the sink tip.. but obviously it wont work in deeper rivers, so i may just get 2 lines... i just dont want to spend a bunch of money on something i dont know a ton about...

my dads not here anymore, which is why im asking you guys... all he did was fly fished, so im trying to atleast be half the well rounded angler he was...

#759147 - 05/11/12 05:37 PM Re: new fly line.. [Re: ]
redhook
Unregistered

and this is why i asked here...

http://www.orvis.com/intro.aspx?subject=2107

this just confused the sh!t out of me... so if i get a line for trout in large lakes and rivers, its a 6# line, but my rod is a 7# (all 3 of them), so can i even put the 6# on a 7? will it work correctly? will a 7# line not cast smaller flys for trout?

#759155 - 05/11/12 06:14 PM Re: new fly line.. [Re: ]
stonefish Offline
King of the Beach

Loc: Carkeek Park
One line, one rod and one Google seach won't cover it all.

#759163 - 05/11/12 07:10 PM Re: new fly line.. [Re: stonefish]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

If you're lining a Sage RP 7100, you have a fast action 7 wt rod. That rod will throw a lot of things, but if it were me I'd stick mainly to 7 wt lines, maybe an 8 for certain things. If you want to do "everything" with one line, you're screwed. It doesn't work that way.

How many spools do you have for the Hardy? And which model and size Hardy? If you only have one spool, then more than one line is kinda' pointless.

That rod is a good length and line weight for summer and fall steelheading. It's a bit heavy and overkill for SRC and trout fishing in lakes IMO, but it would certainly work. You can maximize the versatility of the rod with a Versa-tip line. Several brands offer multi-tip lines. They usually come with a floating, intermediate (slow sinking), fast sinking, and extra-fast sinking tip, 15' in length. I've never bought one, but I've been making my own since 1977.

As for brand, most of them are good, and you don't need the most expensive top-of-the-line line to have good results. Actually, Orvis is having a sale on some good Wonderlines right now ($29 for $65 lines) via mail order and Web. I just bought 3 6 wts, and I've bought others when they were on sale too.

If you don't know your Rocket Taper from a shooting head, I suggest you start with a WF7F (weight forward 7 floating) line or a 7 wt multi-tip, but those run well over $100 (probably why I still make my own).

Oh, and put some backing on the reel under the fly line (usually 20# dacron). How much depends on the size of the reel spool and of the fly line.

Good luck. It sorta' looks like you might need it.

Sg

#759166 - 05/11/12 07:21 PM Re: new fly line.. [Re: Salmo g.]
redhook
Unregistered

its a Hardy Marquis 7#... i have 2 spools for it.. i also have a Cortland 7# that came with my GSH 1000 Cortland 9' that my dad bought me when i was about 15 years old or so... i also have another 7100 RP thats a 9' rod.. like i said all my dad did was fly fished (since the late 80s to his death in 05), and only fished for Steelhead really... i know all about backing, roll casting, i however cant really cast regularly that well, and i think it may be due to the age of the line....because about 10 years ago, i could cast that rod rather well... not so much anymore... and im by far from even really being a "intermediate" fly caster, but what the hell, always fun to try new things and get better at them...

i just never got into it when he was around... and i know i have a long road ahead of me.. but i would like to start out on the right track, to help with any other bumps in the road that i may encounter...

#759200 - 05/11/12 09:34 PM Re: new fly line.. [Re: stonefish]
MikeH Offline
Spawner

Originally Posted By: stonefish
One line, one rod and one Google seach won't cover it all.

Multiple google searches how about??? smile

#759202 - 05/11/12 09:39 PM Re: new fly line.. [Re: ]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

Redhook,

OK, a few more things. The Sage 7100 RP means that it is a 7 wt rod and 10' long. If it were 9' long it would be called a 790 RP.

When you say " . . . a Cortland 7# . . .", what do you mean? Is this a line, as in 7 wt (not 7# cuz it isn't seven pounds), or a model of Cortland reel? If it's a line, do you have any clue what wt (weight) or type it is? If not, take it to a fly shop and ask; that's likely the best way to find out.

If you have two spools for the Marquis, I'd put a WF7F Cortland 444 peach floating line on one spool. It's a classic and casts and handles real well. Depending on what you plan to fish for and where should determine what line to put on the second spool. I make or buy a multi-tip and have a bunch of sink tips to maximize the versatility of the rod.

Someone who knows all about backing and roll casting wouldn't likely use both words in the same sentence, just to offer you a clue about how clueless you may be. I cast lines that are over 30 years old just fine, so it's not likely that the 10 year age of your line is the cause of your casting. It's more likely you're just a [Bleeeeep!] caster. Don't worry, most people are.

Word of advice: some guys buy a $600 fly rod and wonder why they cast like chit. They would be miles ahead buying a $100 rod and spending $400 on casting lessons, but most won't.

Sg

#759685 - 05/14/12 04:21 PM Re: new fly line.. [Re: Salmo g.]
MikeH Offline
Spawner

Originally Posted By: Salmo g.
Redhook,

Word of advice: some guys buy a $600 fly rod and wonder why they cast like chit. They would be miles ahead buying a $100 rod and spending $400 on casting lessons, but most won't.

Sg

Smart advise.

#759726 - 05/14/12 06:06 PM Re: new fly line.. [Re: MikeH]
AP a.k.a. Kaiser D Offline
Hippie

Loc: B'ham
Redhook,

Read what Salmo g. wrote.
Then, read it again.
Then do exactly what he just said without trying to add yer smarts to it.

His suggestions for lines and lessons are spot on.

If you choose to respond to anything or anyone else on this thread, you're likely going backwards. Now would be the time to listen, shut up, and execute the plan that has been given to you.

-AP

#759737 - 05/14/12 06:43 PM Re: new fly line.. [Re: AP a.k.a. Kaiser D]
ColeyG Offline
Ranger Danger

Loc: AK
SG and AP, well said in each case.

Redhook, not knowing what I don't know makes me look stupid on a regular basis, so I feel your pain. How does the saying go, "better to keep your mouth closed and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt?" Take it slow, glean a few bits of knowledge from those that you can, and it will mostly start to make sense after a bit more homework.

In defense of those that haven't been immersed in this fly business for decades, myself included, all of this jargon and inconsistency between brands, manufacturers, and cliques is pretty confounding to try and figure out from a beginners perspective.

Take "spey" lines for example. How about rod weights and action in relation to intended application? How about fly design concepts for fly fishing as a whole, let alone "traditional" or personal preferences on "style." If you haven't tried to boil these things down to a beginners level and/or teach someone about them, I would recommend it. It quickly becomes apparent how foreign most of this crap is even for folks that generally get fishing.

EZ Thread Yarn Balls

"I don't care how you catch them, as long as you treat them well and with respect." Lani Waller in "A Steelheader's Way."

#759772 - 05/14/12 08:20 PM Re: new fly line.. [Re: ColeyG]
Free_Globbin Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Grays Harbor
Originally Posted By: ColeyG
If you haven't tried to boil these things down to a beginners level and/or teach someone about them, I would recommend it. It quickly becomes apparent how foreign most of this crap is even for folks that generally get fishing.

Best advice I can give you right there. The act of teaching someone something brings out all of the areas you aren't clear on or don't know. This stuff isn't going to make sense over night.

AP and Salmo bring up great points as well. They have years of experience and if they are willing to share it, LISTEN. That's it. If you don't agree, keep it to yourself and figure it out the hard way. I can honestly say I have learned a lot about the sport from both of these individuals from their posts. Rarely have I disagreed with what they have suggested and more often than not, it has saved me a lot of time making the mistakes on my own.

#759779 - 05/14/12 08:39 PM Re: new fly line.. [Re: Free_Globbin]
redhook
Unregistered

well, needless to say, some of the responses pissed me off... so today, i decided to cast in the yard for a minute with 1 line on the spool that was on the Hardy...

Salmo, i messed up, its an #8/9 Marquis, not a # 7, but that probably doesnt matter much...

i tried different grip positions, and made sure not to snap my wrist...

i got about 60-80 feet out... not good by any means, but better than i was doing with another line last season...

i think i will get a versi tip for the spare spool, and use the bright orange line on the hardy for floating... i still have the peach rocket taper line on the Cortland, and it looks fine, no cracks, kinks, nothing... but i know for a fact its over 15 years old and is likely the +333 line, and from what ive heard, isnt very good line...

and just to get things straight, i didnt buy these rods, i got them because my dad dropped dead on Christmas Eve... cool present huh?

he was a phenomenal caster, but like i said, i never really got into it when he was around, so i missed out...

im going to take the 7100 to the lake tommorow, and try casting from a boat... ill let you know if i catch anything...

i dont have the money, or time to take classes right now, its just not an option... so, ill probably end up just giving up and putting the rods in the closet for another 10 years.... thanks for the help....

#759788 - 05/14/12 08:56 PM Re: new fly line.. [Re: ]
AP a.k.a. Kaiser D Offline
Hippie

Loc: B'ham
Besides a few of the standard PP barbs, people here are actually trying to help you.

Before you get entirely discouraged, take advantage of all the FREE lessons that exist. I just went to a "spey clave" a couple weeks ago and learned a lot. Something about human nature makes people actually WANT to teach other people things. I got to cast some rods and learned that the line on my spey rod is pretty "wrong". I got to try a different line on the rod and it was a different creature entirely.

Did your dad have any fishing buddies that you still know? I almost guarantee they would be honored for you to ask for casting help. 1 hour with the right individual will make your casting SO much better. Plus, much like golf, you won't have to undo all the bad habits that you're bound to create.

#759805 - 05/14/12 09:26 PM Re: new fly line.. [Re: AP a.k.a. Kaiser D]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

Redhook,

Re: casting lessons. The Washington Fly Fishing Club offers lessons one evening a week at Green Lake (Seattle) around this time of year. If that's not close, look into whatever club is near you - ask at fly shops. Most offer fly casting and fly tying classes, usually for cheap.

8/9 Marquis is nice, and the 7 is a bit small. I have a 7 and a 9/10. I use the 9/10 on an 8100 RP.

You may have gotten 60-80' feet out, but dollars to doughnuts you didn't cast 80' of fly line. A 444 Peach is not a 333; otherwise it wouldn't be a 444. Some people like the 333 lines. I don't. There are better options in that price range, like the Orvis sale I posted about above. As I said, I've got a 444 that's 30 years old, and it casts just fine.

Sorry about the loss of your dad. That sucks and shows that life ain't fair some times. Honor his memory and learn to use the gear he left you. Like an angler. Not a cracker.

Sg

#759806 - 05/14/12 09:27 PM Re: new fly line.. [Re: AP a.k.a. Kaiser D]
redhook
Unregistered

no he didnt... he was extremely secretive about his fishing... he wouldnt even help me out with how to get to his spots... his response was always (figure it out yourself, i did).... and i did... he also would never come to the Green with me, or any where that had ANYONE near by... he would however tell my what to use, then, said figure it out, you will, i did....

my dad was also extremely sensitive about his rods and gear... he wouldnt let me take the Sages anywhere, ever... not because i was bad with my gear, but because they were his, not mine... and i respected that... towards the end of him being here however, he would kick me one of the Fenwicks when something happend to my stuff...but they were still his, and he made me remember that....

when i first started fishing for Cutts when i was under 10, i stole one of his flies he tied, actually, i stole about 10 of them... i thought i was being like him... but actually, it pissed him off... for one, i stole from him, and didnt ask... and second, dragging a Royal Coachman around with no weight on it in a paddle boat on a spinning rod ISNT fly fishing lol.... but i still kept doing it... then i brought home the 28 incher, and he bought me that Cortland GSH 1000 i said i had...

he took me to a spot that i regularly fished on a river near my cabin, and i couldnt cast, so he showed me how to roll cast... i caught a 2 pound rainbow that day, will never forget it....

he used to take me to 2 bit on the Sky alot too, but he would be casting all over the place, all the way across the river like it was nothing, catching fish, and here i am not being able to figure it out... rod quality? maybe... lack of skill? most deffinately...

so i gave up....

and didnt touch a fly rod for close to 15 years.... casting the Sage is hands down easier than casting the Cortland, could be due to the action tho, i have no clue of how fly rods operate in that aspect....

i just dont see the point of letting rods and stuff of that caliber sitting in the closet doing nothing for god knows how long... they were built to be used...

using his gear, his flies, and trying to do what he did and failing gets quite disturbing and hurts me...

just typing that last line, i had to stop and wipe my eyes, thats how much it hurts me.... noone knows anything about me, anything that ive dealt with, anything thats been taken from me....

so yes, it bothers me... if thats bad, sue me, i will message my name and address to send the papers....

people need to look past the phuckin way i type, and see the bigger picture of why im even on these forums.... because if my dad was still here, i wouldnt be...

#759823 - 05/14/12 10:14 PM Re: new fly line.. [Re: ]
stonefish Offline
King of the Beach

Loc: Carkeek Park
Was that 28" cutt a Searun?

#759826 - 05/14/12 10:22 PM Re: new fly line.. [Re: stonefish]
redhook
Unregistered

yes, and was the largest one ive caught to this date, and will likely never be replicated, or exceeded... 5 pounds all day long...

#759840 - 05/14/12 10:46 PM Re: new fly line.. [Re: ]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

Redhook,

I think you posted that you're 33 years old. If so, you should start acting more like an adult than a child, unless you're developmentally retarded.

Guess what, 28" is larger than the state record SRC. And 5 # is skinny for a 28" SRC. I'm guessing you estimate (badly) rather than measure fish length and casting distance. No offense, but you're dad didn't cast all the way across the Sky at 2 bit unless your dad is Steve Rajeff (world champion many times over). Just to give you a clue. BTW, you can post anything you can type, but you're gonna' FAIL badly if you try to BS me about fly fishing and salmonids. These are things I know a bit about.

It makes sense that your dad wouldn't let you touch his gear if you're "bad with gear." Sage and Fenwick and Marquis are good stuff and shouldn't be in the hands of a klutz. So maybe putting it back in the closet for another 10 or 15 years would be the best option.

Uh, who's to say your failing? Don't be such a cry baby. Can you make 50 out of 50 basketball shots from the foul line? I ask because my daughter when she was in grade school complained that she couldn't make a basket. I asked her how many times she tried. She didn't know (it wasn't many). I told her to make 50 shots and keep track of how many she made. Then make 50 shots the next day, etc., etc. Since she was a musician she understood the concept of practice and training. In a few weeks she was making a lot of shots.

If you want to learn to fly cast, first, more important than practice, is training. You FIRST need a basic lesson or two. Then you need to practice what you're instructed in those lessons 15 minutes a day, 4 or 5 times a week, or 7, and then get a couple more lessons. I can have anybody who isn't a natural born klutz casting decently in a month. Like most thing in life, it ain't that hard, but it takes some instruction and practice. So quit sniveling about being disturbed and failing, hell you haven't even tried yet. So if you get the "bigger picture" of my posts, you'll understand that while the loss of your dad was sad, he left you things that apparently meant something to him. You'd honor him by learning to use it competently. That is quite a bit different than trying it on your own once or twice and then being upset that you didn't get it. Almost nobody does. But almost anybody can by doing what I described above.

Sg

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
3Gonads, herm
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (steely slammer), 1085 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13520
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645291 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |