Three Rivers Marine

Page 6 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#759358 - 05/13/12 12:02 AM Re: so what would Jesus do? [Re: ]
Big_Daddy
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: redhook
........... hell, maybe i could make my first million opening up a computer shop... skys the limit right?

Your business plan seems sound......... computer

#759359 - 05/13/12 12:05 AM Re: so what would Jesus do? [Re: ]
redhook
Unregistered

i was thinking about it...

#759360 - 05/13/12 12:11 AM Re: so what would Jesus do? [Re: ]
redhook
Unregistered

what i meant by that Randy, is that if i do it for cheaper than the big guys, and be more people oriented, and about the "customers" instead of the corporate aspect of it, i could probably do pretty well...who wouldnt want their computer back in 4 hours, rather than over night, or 3 days later.... who wouldnt like that 99 dollar rate dumped to 50....

my buisiness plan would be to help people, not screw them out of their money... obviously i would likely have to take a course in Buis Management as well....

my only downfall, will be math...

#759363 - 05/13/12 12:27 AM Re: so what would Jesus do? [Re: ]
Big_Daddy
Unregistered

You will quickly learn why they charge $99/hour.

There are many things that factor into the "correct" hourly rate for a business.

Starting a business and being successful at it is a much simpler then it sounds.

However, that being said, if it is something that interests you and you have an aptitude for, then give it a shot.

Failing is sometimes better then sitting back and never trying.

#759364 - 05/13/12 12:48 AM Re: so what would Jesus do? [Re: ]
redhook
Unregistered

failure is not an option... but in this case, i get what your saying... math is a major point in computers , and im not that good at it.... i can read the sh!t out of a tape, and know how to add subtract and divide, but i know zero about Algebra, and Calculus (my gf aced both of those classes)... but when i was in HS, and then left, and got my GED, my Science grades are upper 90 percentile...

its my math.... and i dont know why i cant get it... and they will make you take those courses in some schools... for coding and stuff... main reason i havent pursued it.... im just a yard ape/carpenter that knows how to fix stuff sometimes... and probably wont ever be much more than that... who knows..

#759378 - 05/13/12 11:15 AM Re: so what would Jesus do? [Re: ]
big moby Offline
Carcass

Loc: varies
Wwjd? Lock this retarded thread.....

#759383 - 05/13/12 12:13 PM Re: so what would Jesus do? [Re: big moby]
Illyrian Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Spokane, wa
About 3/4 of a mile from my house there is a minimall. There are
two computer repair facilities there now. T'he two storefronts
alternate in going out of business and then pulling a Phoeniz and
reopening under new management.
I believe our throw away society doesn't much care for repairing
things. There are exceptions of course. Yourself and others make
a labor of love out of fixing the almost economically unfixable.
Or out of sheer need.
Old times folks darned the holes in their socks. Now they just toss
'em and buy new. Hell I learned to darn my socks at the 7 year old
level.

Good luck pursuing that first million via computer repair.
More useful and challenging, develope a bit of software that flushes
MS bits and pieces and things like Facebook, Twitter and assorted
moles from computer systems.

Edited by Illyrian (05/13/12 12:15 PM)

#759384 - 05/13/12 12:15 PM Re: so what would Jesus do? [Re: ]
Dave Vedder Offline
Reverend Tarpones

Loc: West Duvall
I have no idea what anyone's SAT scores are/were but sure can't fault a young man's choice of wanting to be a hand on a big game boat out of Hawaii. Sounds like living the dream to me.

#759386 - 05/13/12 12:22 PM Re: so what would Jesus do? [Re: ]
fish4brains Offline
Dah Rivah Stinkah Pink Mastah

Loc: zipper
Originally Posted By: Hankster
How do you feel about someone wanting to be a carpenter who can fix computers?

There are lots of unemployed people.

#759387 - 05/13/12 12:26 PM Re: so what would Jesus do? [Re: Dave Vedder]
Dan S. Offline
It all boils down to this - I'm right, everyone else is wrong, and anyone who disputes this is clearly a dumbfuck.

Loc: SE Olympia, WA
Hank's just a burned-out old goat who can't imagine anyone not wanting to be a cog in the machine.

I'm sure working on a big game boat would be awful. Certainly not a cool job like taking x-rays or something.

Bon Scott - Shot Down in Flames

#759393 - 05/13/12 01:00 PM Re: so what would Jesus do? [Re: ]
Dan S. Offline
It all boils down to this - I'm right, everyone else is wrong, and anyone who disputes this is clearly a dumbfuck.

Do x-ray techs really make 6 figures? I only ask because that's about double what I found for average wage rate for x-ray technicians.

Or is that just in the bay area where sh!t-dump houses sell for 1.35 million?

I find it best not to clown anyone's career choice. If you're working and being productive, then it's no place of mine to tell you what you should be doing.

I only clown on the x-ray technician field to dig at Hank once in a while. smile

#759394 - 05/13/12 01:01 PM Re: so what would Jesus do? [Re: Dan S.]
Dan S. Offline

Oh yeah..........some dream of being x-ray techs, and some dream of owning the company that built the x-ray machine.

smile

#759401 - 05/13/12 01:58 PM Re: so what would Jesus do? [Re: ]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

Originally Posted By: Hankster
Originally Posted By: Abu-Loomis
Originally Posted By: redhook
failure is not an option... but in this case, i get what your saying... math is a major point in computers , and im not that good at it.... i can read the sh!t out of a tape, and know how to add subtract and divide, but i know zero about Algebra, and Calculus (my gf aced both of those classes)... but when i was in HS, and then left, and got my GED, my Science grades are upper 90 percentile...

its my math.... and i dont know why i cant get it... and they will make you take those courses in some schools... for coding and stuff... main reason i havent pursued it.... im just a yard ape/carpenter that knows how to fix stuff sometimes... and probably wont ever be much more than that... who knows..

This all sounds accurate, and predictable.

Abby, what was your math SAT score? wink

I think it's pretty funny that Abby can slam a carpenter that can fix a computer, all the while dreaming of being a deckhand on a tuna boat. grin

Hmmm, I was surprised that Dan didn't declare that a solid ZING.

While there's nothing inherently wrong with Abu's low horizon dream, Hank is on point in dissing Abu for ragging on what appears to be Redhook's demonstrated ability. Face it, Redhook the idiot actually fixed a computer, something most of us haven't done and wouldn't even attempt. Way over 90% of Abu's posts are nothing more than dissing somebody about something. Obviously his mother never taught him that if he can't say something nice, then STFU. OTOH, Abu's only demonstrated talents are curing salmon eggs and photographing his GF's snatch, NTTAWWT.

#759408 - 05/13/12 02:18 PM Re: so what would Jesus do? [Re: Salmo g.]
Sol Duc Offline
April Fool

+many.

- Albert Einstein.

#759409 - 05/13/12 02:30 PM Re: so what would Jesus do? [Re: Sol Duc]
redhook
Unregistered

im not an idiot Salmo, and i would appreciate it if you refrained from calling me it...

some day ill get better at the damn math part to make it even an option to go into the computer field....

#759411 - 05/13/12 02:44 PM Re: so what would Jesus do? [Re: ]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

Redhook,

True, it's unlikely that you're an idiot, but there is something about your posting style that definitely isn't very smart. And it doesn't have anything to do with math. But good on ya' for fixing the computer.

Sg

#759416 - 05/13/12 03:06 PM Re: so what would Jesus do? [Re: Salmo g.]
redhook
Unregistered

could it be the way you interpret it?

working on computers for me isnt hard at all... working ON computers, is a little more difficult, but i can still do it with help, like that of DD... what most people dont realize, is that even computer techs at shops have to learn how to do things off the internet, because their computer science degree from 2001 wont show them anything on computers that come out 6 months from now..... which is why they really piss me off thinking they are some genius that has the net world in their hands... because i can learn the same thing they learned, in the same classroom, as in the world wide web...

computer shops charge what they charge to be competetive... someone started the whole 99 an hour rate, well, then the other joe schmoe comes along and says, im going to do it for 79 an hour...

the reason noone charges 50 an hour, is because they can get 79 an hour, or 99, why only charge 50? its called MONEY, and basically greed... and im not greedy... unless you are full on building gaming computers with 1k dollar video cards in them, 50 dollars an hour is a very good wage... a regular work week would gross 2000 dollars a week, and at 8k a month, lets make it 6k due to taxes, you are still doing fairly well for yourself...

i like helping people, and if i can fix their computer, and save them some money, im helping quite a bit... i cant stand people in general that just take take take and never give.... large corporations such as the Geek Squad do exactly that.... but the are backed by Best Buy so they really dont have to worry about tanking as a small buisiness would really have to worry about usually...

my problem is, is that i like to help TOO much.. and people then say im a "knowitall" or just an asshole in general, because they take what i say out of context... one day they will see past that.... hopefully..

#759422 - 05/13/12 03:51 PM Re: so what would Jesus do? [Re: ]
Direct-Drive Offline
ExtenZe Field Tester

Loc: Vancouver, WA
Fvck computers.
If you've dabbled in the carpentero thing, then why not go legitmate ?

http://www.carpenterspnwrc.org/?page_id=79

If you can get your hands and brain workin' together and can hustle, you'll be making about $40 an hour after you complete the program.
You will also get a pension when you finish your career.

Not for weaners, but if you can think on your feet and haul a$$, you'll do well.

Bottom line is this....
You have to be able to do or provide something that not every garden variety schmoe can.
That's it.
Find that "something".

#759425 - 05/13/12 04:04 PM Re: so what would Jesus do? [Re: Salmo g.]
Dan S. Offline

Originally Posted By: SG
Redhook the idiot actually fixed a computer,

That's great and all, but my teenage kid who can't get his arse out of bed in the morning can do that.

Hank - I'm not really a cog in the machine..........more like a turbocharger. wink

#759456 - 05/13/12 06:45 PM Re: so what would Jesus do? [Re: ]
redhook
Unregistered

DD, ive kinda done carpentry my whole life... i helped build our cabin when i was younger, then worked with my uncle on a few projects, and my dad... i worked for the same company my dad did for 3 years before he died, and was enrolled in the CITC (Construction Industry Training Council) school program for 2 full years before he passed.. needless to say, him leaving really screwed things up, including my mental state at the time... i also have a degree in Horticulture from Renton Tech... but, a degree like that, is basically worthless, you can work at a nursery for jack, or landscaping for jack... highest i got up to doing that was 15 an hour... and was even working on houses of people like Chuck Armstrong, who is the president of the Seattle Mariners... the only way to make money landscaping is to own your own business... carpentry i was up to 18 an hour in 2 years, with some of the top supes in the company saying i should have been at 20-22, but the HR director wouldnt give it to me, because he thought that 4 of us (me, my brother, dad, and uncle) working for the same company would upset people.... so he kinda [Bleeeeep!] me around trying to make me leave... he is no longer there... i learned alot from my dad and the people that worked for him... my pops used to have "head hunters" constantly chasing him around, some offering 6 figures for him to come work for them... but he was loyal, and enjoyed where he was at.... and had some of the best carpenters (including himself) on the West Coast working for him...

i would love to get back into carpentry, but i have an issue right now that needs to be addressed before i can do that.... for now i just do little things for friends like garden construction and such for generally 20 an hour, but im still limited even doing that right now...

one day things will be just fine, but i would like to be better off than just mowing lawns for 20 bucks an hour.... id like to buy a boat someday, and on that wage, and my current situation, its not possible... so for now, i just try to keep my head on straight, and do what i can....

Page 6 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Al Gore, czer, Robb92, wallyw
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 972 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63781 Topics
645410 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |