THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#760149 - 05/16/12 02:51 AM Re: What drifting option should I purchase? [Re: Nimpo60]
eugene1 Offline
Spawner

Loc: out there...
Originally Posted By: Nimpo60
Thanks for all the feedback. Is there any decent way to power a drift boat up a river? Or is it just stupid?

I fish the Wynoochee 50% of the time and I am hoping to find something that would work well there. I also need something with a steady spot to hold some Crown when I toast the Queen in celebration.

I hope to catch some fish too.

Not a stoopid idea down here in OR, anyway. Lots of drifters with kickers. Up in Wa seems like the motor on a db is frowned upon?

My vote for you is a little used sled with a life left in it jet pump. I don't like to shuttle as I fish by myself sometimes and don't want to leave the boat and gear unattended for unsavory folks to pick over. I can launch and return to the ramp in my sled. Drifters with a kicker can do the same depending on rapids and flows in your river. I had a chance to fish the Nooch this winter and saw lots of db's and sleds running it, so there are plenty of options for you.

Some people are afraid of getting into powerboats, but it's a good way to fish in many situations.

Best,

#760159 - 05/16/12 11:10 AM Re: What drifting option should I purchase? [Re: eugene1]
Chum Man Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Yelmish
most of my good fishing buddies only have days off that line up with mine once in a blue moon these days, so a drift boat would mostly sit in my yard growing moss.

seems like any more everyone overlooks the "small sled" option, and goes for the 24' 250hp end-all that can fish 8 people and go out in the ocean. i can tell you that my 14 footer has never cost me more than $25 in gas in a day, i can pull it with my 4 cylinder toyota, and i'm not saddled down with a mortgage to pay for it.

i would really like to pick up a cheap db or pontoon for a couple rivers that would be too small to run my jet boat up, but for the most part i can wade them, so it remains a thought...for now.

#760177 - 05/16/12 02:35 PM Re: What drifting option should I purchase? [Re: Nimpo60]
Coho Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Muk
If you get a drift boat-get a good rower

then you will be able to fish

Or get a good fisherman up front--nothing worse than rowin someones arse into Holy Waters and they are not ready to make that perfect cast

#760192 - 05/16/12 03:29 PM Re: What drifting option should I purchase? [Re: Coho]
The Moderator Offline
The Chosen One

Loc: Tuleville
Originally Posted By: Coho
Or get a good fisherman up front--nothing worse than rowin someones arse into Holy Waters and they are not ready to make that perfect cast

Dibs on the front seat!

Oh wait, you said good, not great, exceptional, and awesome!

laugh

#760485 - 05/17/12 08:21 PM Re: What drifting option should I purchase? [Re: Nimpo60]
minesgold Offline
Parr

Loc: Burlington WA
everyone has there opinion and here is mine I just bought a Sea-Dory last year, made by Alumiweld in 1982 its a drift boat with a flat back and a 40hp jet does me well on the Skagit and like you said takes away the needing a shuttle may not be perfect for all rivers but.......
My 2 cents

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Swifty27
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1181 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13525
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63781 Topics
645406 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |