Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#762612 - 05/28/12 08:57 PM Help Save the Susitna - Comments Needed Now
ColeyG Offline
Ranger Danger

Loc: AK

The Susitna River below Denali and the Alaska Range

I have been meaning to get a post on this subject together for a while now, but for a host of reasons, I am a little late in doing so.

As many here might be aware, the State of Alaska is pushing forward a proposal to build a massive hydro project (read dam) on the Susitna River, which is quite literally in my back yard. They (the state) have tried and failed at this twice in the past, most recently in the 1980’s when they had gotten as far as to apply for the federal permit. They withdrew the application after a major upwelling in opposition from the many local communities and residents that would be negatively impacted by such a project.

I am probably the least politically informed, politically active person you will ever encounter. As such, I will not be able to give the various issues, players, and behind the scenes politics of this issue much in the way of an eloquent description so bear with me. Because this issue is so near and dear to my heart, I have joined a local coalition that is taking the lead on forming the anti-dam movement and in doing so, we are bringing together a number of local, national, and global organizations. We recently received a substantial grant from Patagonia to help with the anti-dam campaign. We have 700+ members and the momentum has been growing over the course of the last few months.

We all know that dams are bad, but the one that the state is proposing at the Susitna-Wantana location is a particularly bad one. The Susitna dam, if built, would be the 5th tallest of nearly 850,000 dams on the planet. The Susitna is a glacially fed, extremely silty river. As such, very optimistic estimates put it useful life at 50 years although many think it will be less. Nearly all of the Susitna once great salmon runs are in a pretty steady state of decline. The proposed reservoir would fill a valley that is one of the last strongholds for threatened moose, caribou, and bear populations. Downstream of the dam, fisheries issues aside, the flows would be greatly reduced in the summer and greatly increased in the winter. Hundreds if not thousands of part and full time residents, homesteaders, and recreational users would be negatively impacted by these flow changes and their access, in some cases, might change entirely if not become impossible. The proposed location of the dam sits immediately adjacent to the Denali fault, one of the largest and least stable faults on the continent. Should the dam burst, my town and many others up and down the valley would be wiped out. The list of negative impacts goes on and on.

Susitna Rainbow

Seeing as how the fisheries issues are probably of most interest to the crowd here, the Susitna stocks of both resident and anadromous fish are already in bad shape. The kings are the worst off and this year the state announced an emergency order to functionally limit king season in the Susitna valley to catch and release. Kings and sockeye spawn above the proposed dam location. The current plan does not include any form of fish passage, which of course mean that these strains will be forever gone. The impacts below the dam for downriver stocks are largely unknown, but institutional knowledge of course indicates that dams are never good for fish. The state in its arrogance, is actually pitching the message that fishing will get better and fish numbers will improve as a result of the dam, which humorous at best.

There is far too much to convey here. For those interested in more lengthy discussion of the issues, check out the Coalition For Susitna Dam Alternatives web site (the local coalition I am working with) which can be found here:

http://susitnadamalternatives.org/

So, where are things at and what needs doing. The Alaska Energy Authority is the group that has been tasked (by the state) to ram this project down our throats and they are doing a fine job of it. They have applied for a federal permit and asked that the process be expedited (2 years instead of 5 years) in a blatant attempt to make sure all of the needed studies, comment periods, and research are not given due diligence.

The group that evaluates these applications and grants permits is the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission or FERC. FERC is accepting public comments on the proposal through May 31, which is only a few days away.

Even if it is just a one line comment saying that you oppose dams and/or destruction of fish and wildlife habitat, please take a moment to submit a comment.

Here is how:

1. Click on this link FERC eComment Page

2. Click on“eComment: Does not require eregistration” at the top of the page.

3. On the next page, fill in the “Authorize eComment” boxes, then submit

4. FERC will send an email to your inbox with a link for you to click on that will take you to a page with your name, email, and phone already on it.

5. Under this, you’ll find instructions to “Enter Docket Number.”
• Type in P-14241-000 then click “Search.”
• This will appear in the next line: “P-14241-000 Information and invitation regarding the proposed Susitna-Watana Hydroelectric Project.”
• Click on the blue +symbol under “Select” and wait a few seconds for the docket number and name to appear as the “Selected Docket.”

6. Now you are FINALLY ready to type your comments, and then click on “Send Comment.”

Banks of the Big Su at Talkeetna

Additionally, I have been tasked with compiling the membership/mailing list for the coalition. We have a newsletter that keeps people updated in the process and we announce “action alert” type items like this public comment period, meetings, and other correspondence opportunities all for the purpose of rallying support for the anti-dam movement. If any of you care to help us out in the process, either send me a PM or subscribe via the coalitions web site ( Mailing List Sign Up ) above and I will add you to the list.
Again these types of political processes are pretty far outside of my comfort zone and I apologize for the surface level nature of much of what I am able to describe. I have boiled the issue down to a couple of key concepts, those being that the dam threatens the things I love, will ruin part of what brought me here, and it creates a legitimate risk to me, my family and friends. Dams are certainly not the answer, they aren’t sustainable, and they create far more problems than they solve. Please help us keep this one from carrying on the long legacy of failure.

Thanks.

EZ Thread Yarn Balls

"I don't care how you catch them, as long as you treat them well and with respect." Lani Waller in "A Steelheader's Way."

#762615 - 05/28/12 09:04 PM Re: Help Save the Susitna - Comments Needed Now [Re: ColeyG]
Driftfishnw Offline
Steelhead Hitman

I'll join the fight!!

#762621 - 05/28/12 09:32 PM Re: Help Save the Susitna - Comments Needed Now [Re: Driftfishnw]
ColeyG Offline
Ranger Danger

Awesome. Thanks Tony.

EZ Thread Yarn Balls

"I don't care how you catch them, as long as you treat them well and with respect." Lani Waller in "A Steelheader's Way."

#762641 - 05/28/12 11:23 PM Re: Help Save the Susitna - Comments Needed Now [Re: ColeyG]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

Coley,

If it's not too late, your citizen group - called an NGO (non-gov. org.) needs to petition to intervene in the permit proceeding. I think the project is in the "preliminary permit" stage, where the applicant does studies and prepares a draft license application. This is important, because FERC will issue a notice of receipt of application for license, and another opportunity to intervene opens. You cannot miss that, or any of your work will not even be looked at by FERC, let alone given any consideration.

Next, you say there are anadromous fish above the dam site. I previously read that it was upstream of anad. fish usage, at least of any significance. Again, vital, if significant salmon usage occurs upstream of the dam site, NMFS and USFWS can prescribe MANDATORY fish passage facilities for the project, and have heavy influence on downstream instream flow levels in any license issued. These can be vital because many hydro projects are economically marginal under the best of circumstances, and economically infeasible if instream flows are not favorable to the project and if upstream and downstream fishways are too expensive. Rest assured that NMFS criteria fish screens on a river like the big Su with heavy glacial silt will likely kill the project. Think like putting NMFS criteria screens on Grand Coulee. Next stop, contact NMFS and USFWS regional AK offices and ask their current position on the project regarding fish and wildlife conservation measures.

Properly mitigated, the project likely isn't economically feasible. So why worry? Politics, my friend. Is AK going to lean on its Senators and Rep. to lean on NMFS and USFWS to minimize the mitigation? Your group needs to be planning ahead to sue the fed agencies (FERC, NMFS, and USFWS) if they are politcally pressured to back off on mitigation. The law and justice can win in situations like this, but only if the good guys work harder and smarter than the politicos.

Good luck!

Sg

#762644 - 05/28/12 11:26 PM Re: Help Save the Susitna - Comments Needed Now [Re: Salmo g.]
Salman Offline
Spawner

What a CRAPPY plan! I hope the day comes when a better alternative to a dam comes and all dams get torn down as a result.

#762647 - 05/28/12 11:46 PM Re: Help Save the Susitna - Comments Needed Now [Re: Salmo g.]
ColeyG Offline
Ranger Danger

SG,

There is a detailed overview of AEA's proposed licensing timeline here:

http://www.susitna-watanahydro.org/docum...11R3Apr2012.pdf

They are in the preliminary permit application process now. As I understand it, this is the phase where FERC collects info from the public to take into their talks with AEA re: the studies that will need doing. As you will see, they have alotted two years to carry out those studies, which given the scope and depth of what is warranted is ridiculous.

Re: anad. fish passage, what is considered significant. I would argue any and all salmon above the dam site are significant and have value. How many return where in the upper river is not well understood, but the 1980's studies did find both sockeye and king smolt in tributaries well above the proposed site and the "old timers" around here all tell stories about kings in the upper river.

The coalition any quite a few other NGO's have filed petitions to intervene.

Thanks for the additional input re: the political side. I will certainly share with the board.

EZ Thread Yarn Balls

#762649 - 05/29/12 12:01 AM Re: Help Save the Susitna - Comments Needed Now [Re: ColeyG]
fish4brains Offline
Dah Rivah Stinkah Pink Mastah

Loc: zipper
I sent FERC an eComment.

#762666 - 05/29/12 01:22 AM Re: Help Save the Susitna - Comments Needed Now [Re: fish4brains]
ColeyG Offline
Ranger Danger

Awesome. Thanks Shawn.

Check out this vintage footage of Walt Blackadar running Devil's Canyon on the upper Susitna, below the proposed dam site.

There is also some wicked footage of Devil's Canyon in the trailer for "Oil and Water."

This river needs to stay as it is. WILD!

Steve "River" Mahay ran a jet boat up through the canyon circa 1985 but opted out of the trip down and had the boat flown out in pieces via helicopter.

EZ Thread Yarn Balls

#762745 - 05/29/12 04:21 PM Re: Help Save the Susitna - Comments Needed Now [Re: ColeyG]
Streamer Offline
No Stars for You!

Loc: T-Town
eComment sent.

#762905 - 05/30/12 02:25 AM Re: Help Save the Susitna - Comments Needed Now [Re: Streamer]
ColeyG Offline
Ranger Danger

Much appreciated.

Two days left to get comments in to FERC.

EZ Thread Yarn Balls

#763119 - 05/31/12 12:23 AM Re: Help Save the Susitna - Comments Needed Now [Re: ColeyG]
matsuflyer Offline
Fry

Loc: soldotna
My comment accepted. Although I don't live in the borough anymore, this is unacceptable. Trade Salmonstock tix for TK Bluegrass tx.

#957145 - 05/09/16 07:56 PM Re: Help Save the Susitna - Comments Needed Now [Re: ColeyG]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

So what's the latest scoop?

Aren't you guys like too broke to even pursue anything like this?

"If you don't kill them, they will spawn." (Carcassman)

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#957180 - 05/10/16 11:47 AM Re: Help Save the Susitna - Comments Needed Now [Re: ColeyG]
cohoangler Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Vancouver, Washington
The project seems to be moving through the licensing process at FERC.

They're doing studies right now, and are shooting for a decision sometime in 2018 or so. That doesn't seem realistic, given the potential catastrophic environmental consequences of this project.

It's project P-14241 at FERC.

#957391 - 05/14/16 10:48 AM Re: Help Save the Susitna - Comments Needed Now [Re: cohoangler]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

Originally Posted By: cohoangler
The project seems to be moving through the licensing process at FERC.

It's project P-14241 at FERC.

DAM! beathead

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#957392 - 05/14/16 11:26 AM Re: Help Save the Susitna - Comments Needed Now [Re: cohoangler]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

They're doing studies right now, and are shooting for a decision sometime in 2018 or so. That doesn't seem realistic, given the potential catastrophic environmental consequences of this project.

I looked up the project on the FERC website.... nothing past 2013 posted.

I did find this on another site that says their 3 yr permit issued in 2012 EXPIRED last year.

http://www.hydroreform.org/projects/susitna-watana-p-14241

Can't find that a new permit was issued, but there was this tidbit when searching current news.

http://www.alaskapublic.org/2016/03/25/climate-uncertainty-prompts-questions-on-dam-studies/

The article says the project has recently been revived after being put on hold by the Guv in late 2014.

Coley? What say ye?

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#957417 - 05/15/16 10:04 AM Re: Help Save the Susitna - Comments Needed Now [Re: ColeyG]
ColeyG Offline
Ranger Danger

Yes, the state is broke and getting more brokerer by the day and yet somehow the Susitna Hydro project lives on.

Things like schools, troopers, and other essential public services are taking a major hit while the Alaska Energy Authority is authorized to spend up to $97,000 a day to push this project forward. To me it seems as though the State has fallen into the "commitment" heuristic trap with this project, a classic error in reasoning where one is disinclined to give up on a bad idea/plan because they have "come so far" already.

The pause button has been pushed to some degree after heavy criticism of the "science" prompted a federal and state review of the studies that have been done so far. These reviews are due to conclude by June of this year at which point some plan of action will be put together either calling for new/better studies or accepting/approving what has been done.

The Susitna River Coalition is still targeting the legislature and governor Walker's office with public comment's in support of shutting the thing down once and for all. A big part of succeeding in that would be for this scientific review to conclude that the majority of the studies completed so far have generated little of value or use. Spending hundreds of millions more to re-do that work wouldn't sit well with anyone involved and would hopefully serve as the nail in the coffin.

There was some fodder in the news a year ago about incorrectly identifying salmon smolt, which is just the beginning of the flaws outlined by many.

http://www.adn.com/article/20141009/states-angry-letter-defends-susitna-dam-salmon-science

In a nut shell, the state has tried to put a rush job on this process from the beginning and has had no interest in "good science" in connection with the project and instead they've been going through the motions trying to move forward as quickly as possible. A unified effort has called them to task on that but whether or not anything will become of that effort, only time will tell.

http://susitnarivercoalition.org/wp/2015...ite-moratorium/

The story of the Super Salmon is a remarkable one and the film is worth catching if you get the chance.

http://susitnarivercoalition.org/wp/

EZ Thread Yarn Balls

#957449 - 05/16/16 08:14 AM Re: Help Save the Susitna - Comments Needed Now [Re: eyeFISH]
cohoangler Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Vancouver, Washington
Originally Posted By: eyeFISH

I looked up the project on the FERC website.... nothing past 2013 posted.

You're not looking in the right area. My search came up with lots in 2016. The last of which is here:

file:///C:/Users/mbagdovitz/Downloads/20160429-5497(31430678).pdf (cut and paste the path to your browser)

It's a letter to FERC from Alaska Energy Authority regarding follow-up studies on subsistence and traditional/local knowledge. The project seems to be alive and well at FERC. But the situation in Alaska may be very different..... We can only hope!

Edited by cohoangler (05/16/16 08:15 AM)

#957671 - 05/21/16 06:04 AM Re: Help Save the Susitna - Comments Needed Now [Re: ColeyG]
ruthlessims Offline
Egg

Originally Posted By: ColeyG

Please help us keep this one from carrying on the long legacy of failure.

Thanks.

I'm joining this fight. Good luck.

#960036 - 07/01/16 04:41 PM Re: Help Save the Susitna - Comments Needed Now [Re: ColeyG]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#969954 - 12/17/16 11:21 PM Re: Help Save the Susitna - Comments Needed Now [Re: ColeyG]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

Anyone who has an interest in the Susanna owes it to themselves to watch this fabulous film by Ryan Peterson about the SuperSalmon.

Simply stunning.....

https://vimeo.com/169336239

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
3Gonads, herm
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (steely slammer), 1085 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13520
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645291 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |