THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#778639 - 08/14/12 12:30 PM Re: Swinging - Eight Days on the Dean ***** [Re: Free_Globbin]
RUNnGUN Offline
Repeat Spawner

I had the pleasure of going a couple of years ago, just before the major flood in Sept. 2010. Lost many a fly with the freight train strikes until I finally kept my finger off the line during the swing. Remember hooking 1 to 3 per hole then foating over the spot only to see double digits laying there. Curious if the LDRL relocated or stayed after the flood? Super cool place and definately a trip of a lifetime.

#778644 - 08/14/12 12:43 PM Re: Swinging - Eight Days on the Dean [Re: ]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
Over the course of eight days, how many times did one of you look at a deep slot in that milky water and say something to the effect of "blah, blah, blah pink worm blah, blah, blah!"?

Cool pics!

Fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#778646 - 08/14/12 12:46 PM Re: Swinging - Eight Days on the Dean [Re: ]
Cobbly Cruiser Offline
Creepy Cat Guy

Thanks guys for the photo essay. The anticipation of the next pic and description is killin' me.

This is a place I've always dreamed about visiting. Not just the fresh freight train fish but the beauty of the area. Wish there weren't so many "cows" though. Definitely would make for a nerve racking sleep at night!

Again, Coley always delivers. Lookin' forward to the next chapter! thumbs

#778648 - 08/14/12 12:53 PM Re: Swinging - Eight Days on the Dean [Re: Cobbly Cruiser]
ColeyG Offline
Ranger Danger

Loc: AK
Funny Danny. We spoke about your cow phobia a time or two on the trip and were wondering what your demeanor would be while stuck in a cow jam smile

Todd, spoons and worms were a constant topic of conversation, fortunately the tugs started picking up towards the end and we didn't have too much in the way of time between them to ponder tackle, um, deficiencies?

EZ Thread Yarn Balls

"I don't care how you catch them, as long as you treat them well and with respect." Lani Waller in "A Steelheader's Way."

#778652 - 08/14/12 01:21 PM Re: Swinging - Eight Days on the Dean [Re: ColeyG]
Equinox Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: The "Rock"
Multiple star possibilities...

Great report !!!

#778654 - 08/14/12 01:26 PM Re: Swinging - Eight Days on the Dean [Re: ColeyG]
ColeyG Offline
Ranger Danger

Running out of stuff to say, so...

Here is a pile of pictures with a few photos thrown in.

Wet wading for steelhead? That Stam guy has the craziest ideas.

This one treated me well. I only had two. Broke one off on a steelhead and went through great lengths to retain the second. A chinark eventually stole it.

Bored yet?

Almost done.

EZ Thread Yarn Balls

"I don't care how you catch them, as long as you treat them well and with respect." Lani Waller in "A Steelheader's Way."

#778657 - 08/14/12 01:44 PM Re: Swinging - Eight Days on the Dean [Re: ]
willametteriveroutlaw Offline
Spawner

Loc: Idaho
Did you get any big Chinarks?

#778659 - 08/14/12 01:46 PM Re: Swinging - Eight Days on the Dean [Re: willametteriveroutlaw]
ColeyG Offline
Ranger Danger

No big, even medium kings landed. We lost a few that were never seen that could have been bigger. Some a couple of magnums higher up. Getting even the small ones in on 7wt/8wt gear was quite a chore. They definitely didn't have the lively personality of the steelhead, but gol dang they were strong and just wouldn't quit.

EZ Thread Yarn Balls

#778671 - 08/14/12 02:42 PM Re: Swinging - Eight Days on the Dean [Re: AP a.k.a. Kaiser D]
Hot magic Offline
Smolt

Loc: West Seattle
Happy Hour!!!!!

#778678 - 08/14/12 02:51 PM Re: Swinging - Eight Days on the Dean [Re: Hot magic]
chrome/22 Offline
Captain C/22 - Team Stay Up Right!

Loc: Hurricane Ridge , Wa.
Very, very nice.

So whats the theory, were there just more fish to be had in the lower river, or did you guys change up your techniques & get the fur & feathers in the kill zone more often?

c/22

#778682 - 08/14/12 02:59 PM Re: Swinging - Eight Days on the Dean [Re: chrome/22]
AP a.k.a. Kaiser D Offline
Hippie

Loc: B'ham
There were WAY more fish in the lower river due to a couple reasons.

One of the important things to know about the Dean is that there is a canyon just 4 miles from the salt. This canyon is probably nothing like a typical canyon that "our" salmon and steelhead pass through. It is literally a non-stop pile of tumbling foam. Looking at it, it is almost impossible to imagine ANY fish getting through it. Once the fish do get through the canyon, they tend to rest up in the next couple of miles. Many people, in fact, do nothing other than spend their entire trip on the lowest part of the "above the canyon" water. I view that as rather boring but if all you want to do is catch fish, socialize with your group (and nearby groups), and you don't mind fishing the same water over and over then it isn't a bad plan.

With the high water this year, apparently, many of the fish couldn't/wouldn't go through the canyon until the flows actually went down. I think that we saw more fish in the lower river for this reason. The other factor is that the water was so high when we were up high that the fish that WERE there, were more difficult to target. I suspect that had we showed up a few days later, we would have found far more fish up river.

#778687 - 08/14/12 03:16 PM Re: Swinging - Eight Days on the Dean [Re: AP a.k.a. Kaiser D]
STRIKE ZONE Offline
GOOD LUCK

Loc: Hobart,Wa U.S.A
Noice,very very noice.Good luck,
SZ

#778695 - 08/14/12 03:40 PM Re: Swinging - Eight Days on the Dean [Re: ]
Twitch Offline
The Beav

Loc: Oregon Central Coast
Originally Posted By: stam
Originally Posted By: Todd
Over the course of eight days, how many times did one of you look at a deep slot in that milky water and say something to the effect of "blah, blah, blah pink worm blah, blah, blah!"?

Cool pics!

Fish on...

Todd

It was constantly on my mind, although I was having a fine time with the gear in hand I couldn't help but wonder how being truly in tune with the river and the fish would feel, fly bites that felt like spoon bites made wonder what a spoon smashing grab would do to my nerves....pink worms drifted in a heavy gut where the flies couldn't go haunted me daily, but... I was content fishing the flats with the flies. I guess it's time to start to lobby for some rule changes up there.. wink

Shoulda taken a few of these... wink

Edited by Twitch (08/14/12 03:40 PM)

#778709 - 08/14/12 04:57 PM Re: Swinging - Eight Days on the Dean [Re: Twitch]
ColeyG Offline
Ranger Danger

Final round.

AP and Stam should be able to fill in the gaps. I definitely missed some opportunities, good fish, and cool moments along the trip.

Met this dude in the forest and he wouldn't quit giving me the stink eye.

Couldn't find the pot of gold for the life of me, but in the right light, AP can resemble a leprechaun.

AP and I popped out of the trees just as Stam was bringing this pretty girl to the beach. She put up a memorable fight for him, but like most pretty girls he tangles with, she eventually gave in.

I hook one now and then as well.

Signs that the trip is winding down. Out of coffee, out of booze, just about time to wrap it up I would say.

Sometimes to get a good perspective on life, you have to get high, as in 40' up an alder tree smile

EZ Thread Yarn Balls

#778712 - 08/14/12 05:03 PM Re: Swinging - Eight Days on the Dean [Re: ColeyG]
ColeyG Offline
Ranger Danger

AP and I doubled up shortly after pulling into our final stretch of camp water.

The upper end of the Dean canyon.

Goodbye and thanks Dean.

The fish.

Dean river steelhead, let alone the coho and kings that wind up above the canyon, are special breeds. The canyon, essentially a 3km section of waterfalls, rapids, and general gnarly heinousness that defies imagination, is a mandatory screen out factor. The weak need not apply and the gene pool reflects exactly that. The fish were everything we had hoped for and then some. They attacked, they ran, they jumped, and they showed us our backing and spools too many times to count. They were more beautiful than words or pictures can describe. Flawless. It came to our lips and minds quite often with Dean steelhead in our hands. They broke our lines, they bent our hooks, they bruised our knuckles, but they warmed our souls. The Dean steelhead are immaculate. I wouldn’t add a thing to them if I could, nor would I take anything away. In a word, they are perfect.

EZ Thread Yarn Balls

#778722 - 08/14/12 05:49 PM Re: Swinging - Eight Days on the Dean [Re: ]
Neal M Offline
The Enemy

Loc: Bainbridge Island and Sappho, ...
Stunning! Amazing report Coley. Looks like you guys couldn't have timed it better!

#778723 - 08/14/12 05:50 PM Re: Swinging - Eight Days on the Dean [Re: ]
FleaFlickr02 Offline
River Nutrients

applause

Not much else to say.

#778725 - 08/14/12 05:52 PM Re: Swinging - Eight Days on the Dean [Re: ]
AP a.k.a. Kaiser D Offline
Hippie

Loc: B'ham
Nice pics, Coley. I couldn't agree more about the "flawless" quality of the fish. They are truly remarkable specimens.

Tips were the norm for us but certainly not required. I fished the same chunck of T-14 tip the whole time on the spey rod and a floating line on a switch rod. My first fish of the trip was on a floating line with a barely subsurface fly. The light at the time didn't allow me to see the take though. I skated flies a couple of times, resulting in 3 "responses". I'd love to say "takes" but two of the three times, the steelhead simply boiled on the fly and certainly didn't take it. By boils, I don't mean "I think something happened." I mean a big steelhead unmistakably comes up and makes a blantant, violent move on the fly. Watching something like that will take the air out of your lungs and then force a man-growl that will send Coley and Stam running to look at absolutely nothing. The third rise to the fly briefly stuck the fish but it was over before it really began. Small, barbless hooks with their gaps stuffed with deer hair makes for a tough game. Based on my limited experience though, I can certainly see how people switch over to skating flies and never go back. Despite not even fighting a fish on a dry fly, those responses are some of the highlights of my trip.

Some other photos:

One of the lovely ladies on the trip. Plus, a nice hen.

Flyfishing is easy. Coley shows you just cast, swing, and catch steelhead:

The only handoff I've ever seen Coley take is a handoff to himself around a tree. This whole hookup and fight is one of the coolest things I've ever seen.

Sassified Stam

A proper photobombing.

Holy [Bleeeeep!]! There is a steelhead in this net. I learned that Stam HATES nets.

Giving a wave to the "River Guardians".

I think we all kind of felt like this for several days.

Just one more before dark.

Seeing things like this make it hard to sit at a desk right now.

-AP

#778726 - 08/14/12 05:54 PM Re: Swinging - Eight Days on the Dean [Re: FleaFlickr02]
Dave Vedder Offline
Reverend Tarpones

Loc: West Duvall
Coli did you bring an ascot for Stam?
That was the last river on my bucket list but I don't intend to miss it. I have a call into my canadian buddy as we speak working on next year's trip to the dean.
Your pictures are awesome as usual. Thanks so much for sharing.

#778727 - 08/14/12 05:55 PM Re: Swinging - Eight Days on the Dean [Re: AP a.k.a. Kaiser D]
bota2 Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Allyn
wow!!!

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Swifty27
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (Carcassman), 1160 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13525
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63781 Topics
645406 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |