THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#778624 - 08/14/12 11:38 AM Re: A quiet Skok opener.... ***** [Re: willametteriveroutlaw]
Chum Man Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Yelmish
i used to fish that river pretty regularly, a 25lber is a big fish and anything bigger is really rare. most average 8-12lbs. heavy steelhead tackle was all i ever needed, and the holes i fished were relatively snag-free. good to see someone keeping up the good fight over there. last time i fished that river(in 2009), half of the guys fishing eggs down in the tidewater switched over to the typical 10' leader snagging gear as soon as the fish stopped biting.

Edited by Chum Man (08/14/12 11:39 AM)

#778642 - 08/14/12 12:38 PM Re: A quiet Skok opener.... [Re: Chum Man]
Rocket Red Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Elma
I used to fish that river a lot as well, it is gin clear and the fish are pretty flighty (i.e. easily spooked). It is a small river, and if a fish goes in the wood, he will do it with 8# or 20# leaders. If they don't they are easy to land quickly on 8# test. I used 10# leaders for egg fishing 90% of the time with zero issues. I think OTS is using proper gear for that spot.

A 20# fish is pretty rare.

Out on the coast I use 40# leaders and don't think twice about it.

#778649 - 08/14/12 01:09 PM Re: A quiet Skok opener.... [Re: willametteriveroutlaw]
MikeH Offline
Spawner

Loc: Washington
Really cool video. I like the various bonkers used in the film. haha I do the same thing.

#778665 - 08/14/12 02:11 PM Re: A quiet Skok opener.... [Re: MikeH]
redhook
Unregistered

being a flosser/snagger has nothing to do with the gear you use, its your intentions while fishing... period...

and honestly, im getting really sick of all the people on this, and other boards slinging that word around like they are some super pro fisherman all the while using a 69 dollar rod... give me a break...

shut up and fish...

cool videos OTS, what is the first song on the first video?

#778668 - 08/14/12 02:32 PM Re: A quiet Skok opener.... [Re: ]
JTD Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Browns Point,Wa. USA
Originally Posted By: redhook
being a flosser/snagger has nothing to do with the gear you use, its your intentions while fishing... period...

and honestly, im getting really sick of all the people on this, and other boards slinging that word around like they are some super pro fisherman all the while using a 69 dollar rod... give me a break...

shut up and fish...

cool videos OTS, what is the first song on the first video?

You are lecturing us on flossing now. Perfect. I think you should consider starting a new thread on proper flossing techniques, equipment and intentions.

Your self-afirming "period" is laughable in itself.

rolleyes
In the legend of King Arthur, the Fisher King was a renowned angler whose errant ways caused him to be struck dumb in the presence of the sacred chalice. I am no great fisherman, and a steelhead is not the covenant of Christ, but with each of these fish I am rendered speechless.

#778670 - 08/14/12 02:37 PM Re: A quiet Skok opener.... [Re: ]
tommyhydro Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: evergreen state
all the while using a 69 dollar rod... give me a break...

Whats wrong with using a cheaper rod, not everyone can afford to shell out $300 on a GLoomis.

#778674 - 08/14/12 02:45 PM Re: A quiet Skok opener.... [Re: JTD]
redhook
Unregistered

im not the one running around saying if your leader is too long, that your a flosser, im not the one running around saying if you use corkies, your a flosser, im not the one running around saying if you use yarn your a flosser, im not the one running around, saying you HAVE TO FISH A CERTIAN WAY...

people such as yourself are saying that, all of it... whos in the "flossing mob"? guys that are using corkies? yarn? leaders that are 4'1"?

why is the only way to fish the Skok with a bobber and eggs? why not free drifting? why not drift them with weight? why is it only bobbers and eggs?

like i said, shut up and fish... all this bullsh!t name calling is probably keeping new fisherman away because they dont want to deal with it... what gives you the right to label someone like you are something relative in the fishing game? you are just another angler like everyone else...

people that intentionally do it, yes, i hate them as well, but not everyone is doing it...

i see guys EVERY year on a few rivers running spoons with split shot (BIG) 4-6 inches above their Stee Lee's in rivers that are 2 feet deep.. i know what they are doing, so is it ok for me to label spoon fisherman snaggers now? NO...

its the intentions of the angler, again, period....

focus on yourself, and not what others are doing, and you may become an even better fisherman... or dont, and bitch about it, because thats getting ya real far isnt it...

oh wait, i know a member around here (not on this site) that uses a bobber with an extremely long leader (20-25 feet) with a clear or red plastic bead (not corkie), in a river thats 4-6 feet deep... me, along with a few other friends of mine, and members of these sites have witnessed it...

so is it ok for me to say that all bobber fisherman are flossers?

again, NO...

shut up and fish, and when you see someone doing something illegal dont be a bitch , just call the damn WDFW... stop throwing words around like you are part of some "group" thats higher than everyone else... because we are ALL part of a "group", its called being a fisherman...

#778679 - 08/14/12 02:52 PM Re: A quiet Skok opener.... [Re: tommyhydro]
redhook
Unregistered

Tommy,

think about how i said that, and how you reacted, and you should be able to decipher what i was saying... if not, ill PM you...

#778816 - 08/14/12 11:35 PM Re: A quiet Skok opener.... [Re: ]
Jason Beezuz Offline
My Waders are Moist

Loc: PNW
rh kept his diapers clean for a full week because he was busy out flossin the "puke" or studying coloring books for his kindergarten exam coming up but now he just dropped a mega steamer in his pants and I predict this thread is going to 10 pages.

Carry on rh, how about posting those coho pics again.....I need another look at them....

Maybe it's amphetamines.

#778851 - 08/15/12 12:42 AM Re: A quiet Skok opener.... [Re: Jason Beezuz]
deerlick Offline
Spawner

Loc: around
bump

#778857 - 08/15/12 01:07 AM Re: A quiet Skok opener.... [Re: willametteriveroutlaw]
spoon man Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: oly
Way to go screwing this post up!!! By the way OTS, nice video!

#778867 - 08/15/12 02:23 AM Re: A quiet Skok opener.... [Re: spoon man]
On The Swing Offline
Spawner

okay..now that I am back from spending ALL day in the lower river, im gonna go ahead and chime in...
i was the first one in the lower river, we eventually had about 20 bobber guys working the guard rail hole and were doing quite well..for awhile..
then the FLOSSER group below us, started to gradually pick us off till the hole was theirs...I STAYED, and fished it out in the middle of them, along with a couple others, and was talkin some pretty hard sh!t every chance We could get..that was actually the fun part..that and watching guys in simms waders, with gl3's blatantly floss( i say this because even they admitted it) and then turn to us and talk about how good of fishermen they are and how well the do for steelhead, browntrout and whatever else..only interrupting their rant to "set the hook on that bite"
its a total joke, its sad.. and is known by all(them included) in their heart of hearts that THIS IS WRONG, its cheating, anyway you want to cut it, this is the final outcome...but these men and women make concessions because..these fish dont bite, i dont have eggs yet, im just filling the freezer, im just killing hatchery fish like WDFW wants... geesh!, and whatever other lame ass excuses they can think of to justify it to themselves and the ones around them.
this will be the death of what CAN be a fun river, next year things will be VERY different from what i hear and i can wait to be a part of that new fishery!
Willamette- thanks for the reply, i understand your tactic and i run the same at times but this in certainly NOT that type of fishery i hate to say, though i wish it was..oh how fun that could be..
EVERYONE ELSE-JTD, Rocket, Spoon, mike , chum thanks for stepping up to the plate..that is what we need in the field because like it our not(redhook,..cough cough) WDFW cannot do anything as to a violation of "ethics"..even if they wanted to,(which they do) there just simply isnt enough man power( thank you yearly budget cuts over the last decade)...this comes to people on the river who have had enough of it to speak up..i for one DONT CARE..i will talk mad sh!t to you ALL DAY LONG, you'r ruining my day and chance at fish..and i want to mess up your day a bit too, i dont care if it is childish, its revenge and its been a long time coming...
Speaking of things a long time coming...REDHOOK..i have actually seen you say a couple mildy smart things at times even given your apparent background..however i dont understand your bitch rant..was it directed at me? I hope not because you a f@ckin with the WRONG dude at the WRONG time... You, on the hole have no F-in clue what the hell you talkin about at any point in time and continue to make an a$$ of yourself everytime you get behind the comp, i have remained silent until now, but after that charade, you, my friend can kiss me between the back pockets BRO, and you can chaulk up another burnt bridge for your stupid a$$...I'd appreciate it if you just go ahead and stay the HELL off of the rest of this post because there is no way in hell that ima deal with your ridiculous posts anytime soon(im sure others will agree) so in summation F@ck you and have a nice day....

oh boy that felt good..dont you agree guys? beating up on redhook is like snaggin in a hatchery...just too easy

sorry for the rant, im crazy exhausted after today and my nerves and tolerance for stupidity is just shot for the moment

one thing I will say is that the rest of us need to make this [Bleeeeep!] change..WDFW LEO's want to write this stuff up, but most tickets just get thrown out because, hey, they are JUST fish...(as the judges and prosecutors will say)
the local prosecutor was out with Flowers recently to understand why these violations are important to prosecute..WE CAN HELP by contacting our judges, prosecutors, and county commissioners DEMANDING that they take these violations seriously and prosecute at least half of what they throw out! ( not like we need the money, right?)...these fisheries CAN change, it will just take time and the stick-to-it attitude by those fed up with this crap in our rivers...

this crap WILL come to everywhere( including the OP) and in greater quantity if we dont speak up to keep our sport and ACTUAL SPORT!

good night guys and once again thanks for the great comments and support.

#778868 - 08/15/12 02:41 AM Re: A quiet Skok opener.... [Re: On The Swing]
redhook
Unregistered

WTF? for REALZ?

your fishing the FVCKING SKOK, and act like you are a complete angler, and a pro? then wanna call me out with my "background", what the hell exactly is my "background"? think before you answer that question...

nice try with trying to sound smart, but you failed... also, posting sh!t on the internet about people, calling them names, with your face all up in the video isnt the wisest idea... because people will get pissed... and they may recognize you TRUST ME.. me i dont care, i kiss your a$$, you can blow me rookie....

you ARENT better than anyone else, i WASNT talking to you, i am now however, i said good job, and asked a question, i was just sick of all of it, then you go after me?

you obviously got me fvcked up, and your baseless internet "dont fvck with me bro" threats aint gonna get you anywhere...

so you go ahead and talk about the sh!t on the internet, and drive around taking videos of your face yelling "flosser alert" at cars parked on the side of 101, if i see illegal activity, i will call it in, like a REAL person that cares about what they are participating in, not a wannabe that BS's people on the net... joker...

#778869 - 08/15/12 02:44 AM Re: A quiet Skok opener.... [Re: ]
willametteriveroutlaw Offline
Spawner

Loc: Idaho

69 probably won't get you a nice rod in the trailer park, i bet mastering the ptradactyl in brush on the river bank has earned you many a nice rod.

#778870 - 08/15/12 02:55 AM Re: A quiet Skok opener.... [Re: ]
On The Swing Offline
Spawner

[quote=redhook]being a flosser/snagger has nothing to do with the gear you use, its your intentions while fishing... period...

--oh and this is completely false..example: today a young woman fishing with her male partner was running a 10 ft leader and was getting snagged alot, losing gear. she soon asked about the bobber stuff and the difference in technique, wondering if she could switch to that to stay outta the wood..the gear she used was tied for her and she was just told to cast and jerk on the tug..had no idea the technique she was using, or how it acts in the water, its all she has ever fished with. I took the time, away from here male counterpart, to explain to her how the gear acts in the water and how it leads to hook ups , right down the that tidbits of hooking outside-in the mouth vs. hooking inside-out(correct way)...as she watched the group her face darkened and it was obvious that she didnt like the idea..i gave her some pre-ties, eggs , slipshot and let her work in with me in my "slot"..she hooked up and despite losing the fish understood what a real bite is(as the rod was almost snatched out of her hand) and seemed to be adamant in continuing this style of fishing..i say kudos to that young woman and hope she is out there reading this, now feeling better with herself about her choices.

but it goes to show that she was just following here instruction form her partner...no intentions, just fishing with flossing gear plan and simple..

BTW, last time my spiky haired friend and I saw you at Barrier Dam I noticed those boot springers you were just sooo happy about, you where talking p-r-e-t-t-y big for yourself son...funny that i found your leader wrap right where you left it..15 lb test, a 1/0 owner, two #4 orange corkies and 14ft leader(seriously?)

what the heck where YOUR intentions young man?

#778871 - 08/15/12 02:58 AM Re: A quiet Skok opener.... [Re: On The Swing]
On The Swing Offline
Spawner

Ill say it once again redhook...I dont CARE IF PEOPLE RECOGNIZE ME..i hope they do.. and I hope they remember the moral standard I try to keep in what should be a great sport....

you recognize me now..SO...you, and whomever else has a problem with it can come talk to me when ever you want, I'd be happy to run the conversation with you...

but as for now, isnt there a rock you should be under?

#778872 - 08/15/12 03:05 AM Re: A quiet Skok opener.... [Re: On The Swing]
redhook
Unregistered

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA...

IVE NEVER EVEN FISHED THE COWLITZ GENIUS... i prefer to stay away from hatchery only rivers with 10000000 people in boats, and on the bank....i fish close to my house ( upper Puy, and Carbon, and find my OWN spots), and the Pennisula... PERIOD... might dick around on lakes once and a while, and maybe a trip or 3 to the Green, but you wouldnt catch me dead on that river...

and the Skok, in no way whatsoever, counts as fishing the Pennisula, aka the OP...

joker...

i said good job, and asked a question, you chose to misread it, and try to call me out, and act like you have ever even seen me before, and failed... again... nice try but work on your serve next time, make sure you know who the hell your talking about... cuz i havent even been to Barrier before "bro", and thats because of what it has been made into today... thats all you buddy, have fun with the SKok and its predesessor...

#778876 - 08/15/12 03:20 AM Re: A quiet Skok opener.... [Re: ]
redhook
Unregistered

i didnt start the flossing sh!t...

shut the fvck up and fish... if you see illegal activity, CALL , dont talk about it on the internet...

and certianly dont pump your ideas of how people should fish down throats of ones you dont know.... not smart, and your not a legend so dont act like it...

shut up and fish...

PERIOD...

#778885 - 08/15/12 08:49 AM Re: A quiet Skok opener.... [Re: ]
Jason Beezuz Offline
My Waders are Moist

shut up and fish

How about you take some of your own advice?

Maybe it's amphetamines.

#778887 - 08/15/12 08:52 AM Re: A quiet Skok opener.... [Re: ]
Jason Beezuz Offline
My Waders are Moist

because people will get pissed... and they may recognize you TRUST ME.. me i dont care, i kiss your a$$, you can blow me rookie....

Yeah, you sound fully sane and smarter than everyone here in this post.....

Maybe it's amphetamines.

Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Jordan, UncleChris
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (Tug 3), 1150 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63781 Topics
645410 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |