Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#78101 - 01/22/05 09:25 PM Cow down!
Buck Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Tumwater Wa
Today I went out to try to fill my late season AHE cow tag. By 9:05 am Cow Down! I have tried to post a picture, but can't seem to get it to work??? Any how it was actully a great day to be out hunting!
Buck

#78102 - 01/23/05 11:17 AM Re: Cow down!
D3Smartie Offline

Loc: Bainbridge Island WA
nice going buck.
If you want to e-mail me the picture I'll post it up for you.
dssmart@pepperdine.edu

#78103 - 01/23/05 03:29 PM Re: Cow down!
Buck Offline
Juvenile at Sea

D3, I just sent you an e-mail. I really appreciate the offer. Hopefully it will work better for you than me? Thanks again
Buck

#78104 - 01/24/05 12:36 AM Re: Cow down!
D3Smartie Offline

Loc: Bainbridge Island WA

#78105 - 01/24/05 12:57 AM Re: Cow down!
Fish-N-Chicks Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Puyallup
NOICE WORK!!!!! MMMmmmmm elk.

#78106 - 01/24/05 01:02 AM Re: Cow down!
skydriftin Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: everett,wa
Nice, I like to see success for those that take the time to do AHE

#78107 - 01/25/05 01:09 PM Re: Cow down!
Kramer Offline
Spawner

Loc: GH & PA, WA
Nice work Buck! Now the work begins! beer

#78108 - 01/25/05 06:27 PM Re: Cow down!
BennyBlack Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Tacoma
What Fish-N-Chicks said.

Dang, Elk tastes good.

#78109 - 01/25/05 10:05 PM Re: Cow down!
Fisherdan Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Auburn, Wa, USA
Way to go!

I plan to go out next wek and do the same.

Fisherdan

#78110 - 01/26/05 02:31 PM Re: Cow down!
Fish4Fun Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Renton
Nice Elk beer

But did they really teach you in the AHE program to take a pic with the muzzle pointed at you like the first picture? I see the bolt is open, but still not a good idea.

#78111 - 01/27/05 01:53 AM Re: Cow down!
chumster Offline
Parr

Loc: kent, wa.
Hi,

First nice elk, congratulations!! Second what unit was it taken in????

Last I would love to see that AHE terminated. I believe it rewards people with more time on their hands, more opportunity to get choice hunts (in my opinion) and are no more deservent than anyone else. I am sorry a kid that has hunted for a year can take a "class" and be awarded a hunt, over someone with 20-30 yrs of hunting expirence.......to me REDICULIOUS!!! I hate it!!
A class will never take the place of expirience!! Done with my rant. beathead

Chumster

#78112 - 01/27/05 10:40 AM Re: Cow down!
Buck Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Thanks to everyone for the congratulaions!! This hunt started off with a herd 30 yards off the road, on the wrond side of the road? Then I ran into this herd in the timber about 2 hours later, and you can see the results.

Fish4 fun, NO hunter saftey doesn't teach you to point the barrel, or muzzle at you. But the angle of the rifle is actully more up in the air, and it is fully unloaded, with the bolt open. But I do see your point!

Chumster, the unit was elk area 5051, which is part of 2 units, but this one was taken in the coweeman part. As for the AHE? This is actually my first cow elk ever! I have shot several bulls over the years. And this is the first time I have taken advantage of my AHE, which I have had now for 8years, which I need to renew this year agian. And I have 25 years of hunting experience also! I am older than I look! I for one took the AHE for different reasons than being able to get special hunt preferences. That just happens to be a fringe benefit. If you look at most of the hunts offerd for the AHE, they are mainly damage controll hunts either close to or on mainly private land? So access isn't always great for most of the hunts. AHE isn't for everyone, and it is a little time consuming.

Again thanks! The work is all done, she is cut and wrapped and in the freezer. Yum elk steaks and elk loaf I can't wait!!
Buck

#78113 - 01/27/05 10:49 AM Re: Cow down!
Buck Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Fisherdan Where is your tag good for? Good luck in filling it! I got lucky with my cow. I wanted a semi young one that was barren. I got both! She was abotu 2-3 yrs old, and barren! Just what I wanted.

Good luck Buck!

#78114 - 01/27/05 07:33 PM Re: Cow down!
Head Hunter Offline
Parr

Loc: Snohomish
Nice Elk!

Chumster, I agree with you 100%. It's a shame that we have hunting seasons through January. I guesss the normal seasons aren't long enough. Maybe if the seasons were cut back we could have some good hunting once again.

#78115 - 01/28/05 12:42 AM Re: Cow down!
Fisherdan Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Auburn, Wa, USA
Hey Buck,

I'm headed to 3912. It's all I've got.

To the gents who don't like this hunt, you are certainly entitled to your opinion, but understand that this is a depredation hunt and that landowners REQUIRE these hunts to limit damage. These are low country hunts on mostly private land to keep the herds in check. Notice that these are all cow hunts, and if you check the stats you'll see that our elk herds have GROWN substantially, and are above the WDFW plan. There won't be more elk than there are now in my area....

Anyway, Buck, great job!

Dan

Fisherdan

#78116 - 01/28/05 01:59 AM Re: Cow down!
chumster Offline
Parr

Loc: kent, wa.
Buck,

To clarify.....I was NOT REFERING to you as the "kid". I was saying someone straight out of hunter safety could go through this course, and receive the same tag you did. I think if there is going to be this hunt there should be a minimum amount of years in the field to apply. As you stated these are damage hunts generally around populated areas (not always) but for the most part. I just don't see class time as a justification for special privledges , or tags. I have no problem with your harvest AT ALL if you have the time.....great go for it, but I still think it should be a simple draw open to all tag holders.

Chumster

#78117 - 01/28/05 03:25 PM Re: Cow down!
ACT Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Port Townsend, WA
And what they're not telling you is that some of them get more than one Tag and that these Tags do not count against their regular tag these tags are in addition to the regular tag and there is no point system figured into these tags like regular Cow Tags which they can also apply for.

#78118 - 01/30/05 12:20 AM Re: Cow down!
Gutpile Offline
Fry

Hey Buck,
Nice elk, I'd eat her! A lot better than that cow Sparkey's checking out on the fishing page! I just wish that was your muzzleloader laying across her ribcage. As far as the whiners go about the AHE program, they just don't want to put in the time to get their certificates. They would rather mail in $5 for a raffle and sit on the couch swillin' beer hoping for the mailman to drop off a cow tag. You put in your time and now you are enjoying fresh elk meat! The whiners are probably saving their last few packs of freezer burnt steaks a buddy gave them a year or two ago. Good job! Oh ya, you really don't look that young so don't be out trollin' the bars for 21 year olds! :p

"The Pile"

#78119 - 01/30/05 12:33 AM Re: Cow down!
gsiegel Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Graham
Nice Cow!

That extra tag thing was pretty clearly stated in the reg pamphlet. Its no secret. They went to that this year because nobody was putting in for the AHE hunts.

The intent of the AHE program is to develop more hunters who are able/willing to work with private landowners and are sensitive to their rights. This was in response to a huge amount of trespassing/misuse problems that had landowners across the state closing off lands entirely. I can't say that the people who have been through the program are any better or worse than others in terms of respecting laws and landowners. At least they might be more aware of the issues. There is on-going required volunteer work for a private landowner required to get and keep AHE status BTW. This is more than most hunters do to keep private lands accessible at least.

"I fish, therefore someone else must tend the cooler!"

#78120 - 01/31/05 10:31 AM Re: Cow down!
Buck Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Gutpile, I actually was hoping to use my muzzleloader!! Unfortunately this herd that I ran into were moving awful fast, and they were a little far for the shot. So I grabbed the rifle instead and started the chase? Maybe next year I will get one with the muzzleloader?But thanks!

Also, yes there is an option for AHE grads to put in for a second elk tag. This tag wasn't one of those! What in the world would I do with 2 elk?

For the people that don't think the AHE is fair? Then I suggest you try to go through the program. That way you will have both points of view on the subject. It is a little time consuming, but the worst part ( or the hardest part time wise ) is the 12 hours of volunteer time you need to put in? Other than that, you do everything on your own. Like I said before, the AHE program isn't for everyone. And I went through it for different reasons than getting special permits.
Good luck to all
Buck

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Bob, Jerry Garcia, ReiterRat, Sky-Guy 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Skate
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
2 registered (wolverine, Carcassman), 1459 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63779 Topics
645378 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |