Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#78412 - 10/01/05 10:46 PM Shot gun slug question
fish-bowl 300 Offline
Fry

Loc: Poulsbo
Just picked up a Stoeger model 2000. First shotgun with replaceable chokes. It came with several chokes. Modified, improved, and cylinder. Do you have to have a choke in to shoot shot?
Also, it has a very heavy choke tube that actually sticks out past the barrell when screwed in. Is this for slugs or do you use no choke at all? I know you can get a slug barrell with rifleing in it for sabots but what do you run for a regular slug?

#78413 - 10/02/05 01:59 AM Re: Shot gun slug question
SundayMoney Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Everett
You need to have a choke in the barrel to shoot your gun. If not you'll **** up the threads in the end of the barrel,and you won't be able to use the chokes anymore.

I've only shot slugs in my 870 a couple times,both times I used the I/C (Improved Cylinder) choke based Remingtons reccomendation.

If it doesn't specify in your manual,I'd contact Stoeger to be sure.

#78414 - 10/02/05 02:12 AM Re: Shot gun slug question
landcruiserwilly Offline
Spawner

Loc: Bothell
if it's got choke tubes, you gotta use them. usually they come with i/c (improved/cylinder) which is least restrictive, modified-slightly more restrictive, and full- yet more restrictive. don't know what kind of hunting you do, but for upland game, shots around 30 yards or less go with the i/c. for ducks over decoys, 30-40 yds, go modified for geese or pass shooting ducks 40+ yards you might want a full. note that if you hunt waterfowl, make sure that the chokes are approved for steel shot (especially the full) they should be labeled as such. as far as slugs go, i think you can get a rifled slug choke. some are the extended variety and may be vented to act as a muzzle brake. also, there are a bunch of specialty chokes, like xfull for turkeys.
i just reread your post. cylinder is no restriction at all, then improved, then modified. use some anti seize choke lube on hte choke tubes once in a while before you screw'em in. as long as you have one installed, i think you'll be ok. you might want to take a big piece of cardboard out in the woods and experiment with different loads and see how they pattern at different yardage.

good luck with the new gun! wink

willy

Moderator:  Bob, Jerry Garcia, ReiterRat, Sky-Guy 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Chad Lee, fish_hunter, Grady 265, pimpinshrimp, Stew, xflyzguy
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
5 registered (DrifterWA, Krijack, darth baiter, 2 invisible), 447 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14489
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63783 Topics
645416 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |