THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#792095 - 10/15/12 01:35 PM Re: WA promotes reductions in bass, walleye, cats [Re: McMahon]
JohnQ Offline
Spawner

Loc: COF in the Upper Left Hand Cor...
Originally Posted By: McMahon
JohnQ must be another mid-easterner transplant wanting to turn Washington State into a walleye destination.

Sorry, dude. No one gives a damn about walleye and bass out here. Either go back where you came from or deal with how things are done in the PNW.

Not True again. Have you ever talked to a Native Washingtonian east of the Cascades on the subject, especially the conservation aspect and surely the economics of the subject?? Sounds like another Grade repeater here.

AuntyM -- What Crab Audit???? Not That POS Senior AssHat Published!!!!

Hey Mr Childers, have you corrected that Scofflaw Spreadsheet Yet?????

#792098 - 10/15/12 01:42 PM Re: WA promotes reductions in bass, walleye, cats [Re: SeaDNA]
JohnQ Offline
Spawner

Originally Posted By: SeaDNA
I read through the study and it states that the largest source of predation is most often squawfish but that it does vary a bit by season. It also points out that bass and walleye predation are non-neglible. HOWEVER, it's s study only on predation, it doesn't talk about the other effects up and down the food web of having these non-native species in our waters.

In general, the history of non-native species introductions is terrible in many areas and for many species. I just can't see a good justification for wanting to keep these fish around.

Actually your reading of the study did not include the trapping/netting, i.e., locations based upon walleye migrations (they do do that to spawn), the timing of the migration, i.e., position in the river in relationships to the timing and locations of downstream migrating salmonoids -- Totally in different areas at different times. Hence the "Enhancement of Salmonoids."

Now exactly where are your studies that back up you OPINIONS?? Thought so, in the cave where the sun don't shine.

#792131 - 10/15/12 03:39 PM Re: WA promotes reductions in bass, walleye, cats [Re: CedarR]
cohoangler Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Vancouver, Washington
I'm okay with the proposed regs, but I have no illusions that they will make a dime bit of difference. Why? How often does anyone catch and keep a daily limit of walleye or bass or catfish? The current limit is around five per day. When was the last time you caught daily limit of 5 walleye, and then decided to stop fishing for them because you might go over the limit? For me - never. Not once. I have rarely caught and kept a limit of walleye (I've never kept a limit of bass), but when I did, it took me all day.

More often, I caught alot less than the current daily limit (5). In that case, the upper limit is irrelevant. They could make the daily limit 10 or 20 or 100 or a million, what difference does it make if you fish all day and only catch two? Or three?

WDFW can make the daily limit whatever they want. The fact is that daily bag limits do almost nothing to limit the average angler's overall harvest. WDFW knows this, but they are proposing this to get BPA, the Corps, and BoR off their back.

Edited by cohoangler (10/15/12 03:42 PM)
Edit Reason: typo

#792291 - 10/15/12 11:27 PM Re: WA promotes reductions in bass, walleye, cats [Re: JohnQ]
SeaDNA Offline
Returning Adult

Originally Posted By: JohnQ
I read through the study and it states that the largest source of predation is most often squawfish but that it does vary a bit by season. It also points out that bass and walleye predation are non-neglible. HOWEVER, it's s study only on predation, it doesn't talk about the other effects up and down the food web of having these non-native species in our waters.

In general, the history of non-native species introductions is terrible in many areas and for many species. I just can't see a good justification for wanting to keep these fish around.

Actually your reading of the study did not include the trapping/netting, i.e., locations based upon walleye migrations (they do do that to spawn), the timing of the migration, i.e., position in the river in relationships to the timing and locations of downstream migrating salmonoids -- Totally in different areas at different times. Hence the "Enhancement of Salmonoids."

Now exactly where are your studies that back up you OPINIONS?? Thought so, in the cave where the sun don't shine.

First of all - bite me. rofl
Secondly, you've stated your opinion that my reading did not include... - I did read the damn thing. All I'm saying is that study is based on the distribution of predator fish and estimates of their consumption of salmonids. It does not look at other species eaten by the predators or their offspring which may or may not contribute to the salmon diet. It also doesn't look at the impact of these non native species on the diets of other species in the river. It doesn't look at a whole bunch of factors that could be relevant to the impact of the non-native species on the eco-system into which they were introduced. So, it's a bit premature to conclude that walleye are good for salmon from this data alone.

As for my opinion that there's a long history of disastrous unexpected effects due to the introduction of non-native species, that's not an opinion, it's a fact.

#792308 - 10/15/12 11:59 PM Re: WA promotes reductions in bass, walleye, cats [Re: SeaDNA]
gvbest Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Silverdale, WA

Secondly, you've stated your opinion that my reading did not include - I did read the damn thing. All I'm saying is that study is based on the distribution of predator fish and estimates of their consumption of salmonids. It does not look at other species eaten by the predators or their offspring which may or may not contribute to the salmon diet. It also doesn't look at the impact of these non native species on the diets of other species in the river. It doesn't look at a whole bunch of factors that could be relevant to the impact of the non-native species on the eco-system into which they were introduced. So, it's a bit premature to conclude that walleye are good for salmon from this data alone.

As for my opinion that there's a long history of disastrous unexpected effects due to the introduction of non-native species, that's not an opinion, it's a fact.

I guess you missed the part about the what makes up the vast majority of a walleye's diet.

#792327 - 10/16/12 12:23 AM Re: WA promotes reductions in bass, walleye, cats [Re: gvbest]
Carcassman Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Olema,California,Planet Earth
And if by eating those other species they force some other predator (terns, corms) to eat salmonids instead of the squawfish the salmonids still take it in the shorts.

Too often, we look at narrow views of questions rather than the larger ecosystem.

#792339 - 10/16/12 12:40 AM Re: WA promotes reductions in bass, walleye, cats [Re: gvbest]
SeaDNA Offline
Returning Adult

Originally Posted By: gvbest

Secondly, you've stated your opinion that my reading did not include - I did read the damn thing. All I'm saying is that study is based on the distribution of predator fish and estimates of their consumption of salmonids. It does not look at other species eaten by the predators or their offspring which may or may not contribute to the salmon diet. It also doesn't look at the impact of these non native species on the diets of other species in the river. It doesn't look at a whole bunch of factors that could be relevant to the impact of the non-native species on the eco-system into which they were introduced. So, it's a bit premature to conclude that walleye are good for salmon from this data alone.

I guess you missed the part about the what makes up the vast majority of a walleye's diet.

I guess you missed the big picture of what I said. No I did see the part about walleye eating squawfish. So I should have been more clear. What I didn't see was any mention of the non-fish portion of any of the non-native species' diets and anything about how that might connect to the greater food web up and down the food web. Yes, squawfish eat salmon and walleye eat squawfish. No that is not confirmatory evidence that walleye are good for salmon. The point is that this study is limited in what it looks at. For example do walleye or bass fry compete for other food with salmon fry? This study doesn't say anything about that.

Edited by SeaDNA (10/16/12 12:58 AM)

#792380 - 10/16/12 10:07 AM Re: WA promotes reductions in bass, walleye, cats [Re: cohoangler]
JohnQ Offline
Spawner

Originally Posted By: cohoangler
WDFW can make the daily limit whatever they want. The fact is that daily bag limits do almost nothing to limit the average angler's overall harvest. WDFW knows this, but they are proposing this to get BPA, the Corps, and BoR off their back.

Nope, it is totally the Colville Tribe behind this proposal.

#792381 - 10/16/12 10:10 AM Re: WA promotes reductions in bass, walleye, cats [Re: gvbest]
JohnQ Offline
Spawner

Originally Posted By: gvbest

Nope, and it is NOT Salmonoids.

#792382 - 10/16/12 10:14 AM Re: WA promotes reductions in bass, walleye, cats [Re: Carcassman]
JohnQ Offline
Spawner

Originally Posted By: Carcassman
And if by eating those other species they force some other predator (terns, corms) to eat salmonids instead of the squawfish the salmonids still take it in the shorts.

Too often, we look at narrow views of questions rather than the larger ecosystem.

Today is today, look at it from the perspective that if Walleye (and probably smallmouth bass) did not do their prey job on squawfish, the prime predator of downstream migrating salmonoids, what shape would the salmonoid runs be in?????

#792415 - 10/16/12 12:28 PM Re: WA promotes reductions in bass, walleye, cats [Re: Carcassman]
gvbest Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Silverdale, WA
Originally Posted By: Carcassman

Terns & Corms already are feasting on salmonids, probably in greater numbers than they feast on squawfish.

#792734 - 10/17/12 05:31 PM Re: WA promotes reductions in bass, walleye, cats [Re: sykofish]
willametteriveroutlaw Offline
Spawner

Loc: Idaho
Originally Posted By: sykofish
Oregon stopped a similar proposal 1 or 2 years ago.

IMO it will solve nothing. Smallies and walleye have been around the NW for 100 years. One only has to look at the Umpqua and John Day rivers.

The Umpqua is flat out loaded with smallmouth, yet Oregon decided that wild steelhead retention was fine.

Would there be more salmon and steelhead if there were no bass? Probably so, but removing them would be impossible and the bass fishery down there brings in alot of money to the local economy.

I do my best to eat as many as I can when I travel down there.

In eastern Wa. the number of warm water anglers probably outnumbers the salmon and steelhead anglers. I doubt this proposal will go far.

The southfork of the umpqua is [Bleeeeep!] with bass and it is closed to all salmon (the runs are tanking in it) Same with the John Day. The NF is okay because there are no bass in it. Steelhead seem to coexist with bass a little better though. I have seen small mouth crushing smolts on the willie in the spring.. Not a good thing for salmon IMHO.

#792817 - 10/17/12 09:11 PM Re: WA promotes reductions in bass, walleye, cats [Re: willametteriveroutlaw]
sykofish Offline
I'm not short, I'm 'fun size'

Loc: Mulletville
Won't argue any of it.

Like I said, I do my best to eat as many as I can when I get down there.

Rusty Bell

#792842 - 10/17/12 10:49 PM Re: WA promotes reductions in bass, walleye, cats [Re: sykofish]
Carcassman Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Olema,California,Planet Earth
Back a while ago Crocker Lake, up near Discovery Bay, was rotenoned to remove northern pike. Along with them, a really nice pot of largemouth were also eliminated.

To WDFW's credit they did not put bass back in, even though the lake had been a well known bass lake. Instead, the native salmonids were left to the lake. Prior to exotics removal the whole system put out a maximum of 10-12K coho smolts. The lake itself is now producing 20-30K or more.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
BigRedHead, Gene, Milton Fisher, Selther, SpinyRayLover
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1012 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645372 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |