Three Rivers Marine

Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#808041 - 12/17/12 07:28 PM Re: Turning Point? [Re: ParaLeaks]
Sky-Guy Offline
The Tide changed

Loc: Everett
Yes Mike, Hopefully it is a turning point where we look at the real reasons behind these incidents. Starting with Mental health and psychoactive drug use.

Lanza didnt obey 5 or 6 laws which were designed to prevent him from breaking an entering to a school with stolen firearms and committing murder. New laws wont stop the next guy either. Perhaps the right type of care and limiting their use of drugs which make them apathetic to suicide and murder will stop the next guy.

#808042 - 12/17/12 07:31 PM Re: Turning Point? [Re: Sky-Guy]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
Unfortunately those who support gun rights the most also support cutting funding for anything at all like mental health treatment, and prefer to either send them to jail after they commit a crime (and then blame it on something else), or hope that an eight year old had been packing heat and drew down on him and shot him dead before he killed anyone.

Fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#808045 - 12/17/12 07:32 PM Re: Turning Point? [Re: ParaLeaks]
AP a.k.a. Kaiser D Offline
Hippie

Loc: B'ham
Yes, it will be a turning point to some degree. I suspect we'll see some additional restrictions on number of rounds a magazine can hold.

A couple of other points though. Over the years, I've noticed that most of the hardcore pro-gun citizens are conservative and favor smaller government and less government-funded programs. Yet, these are the same people that constantly say "It is the people, not the guns". Since mental health seems to play a roll in many of these shootings, those pro-gun conservatives are going to HAVE to start favoring additional funding for mental health.

Another thing that I think will happen is we'll take more steps towards bankrupting ourselves by over-securing everything from malls to schools to movie theaters. Just like after 9/11, the fear is going to capture the public and we're going to spend a bunch of money we don't have for a bunch of security theater that won't protect anyone from anything.

#808048 - 12/17/12 07:40 PM Re: Turning Point? [Re: AP a.k.a. Kaiser D]
ParaLeaks Offline
WINNER

Loc: Olypen
"Since mental health seems to play a roll in many of these shootings, those pro-gun conservatives are going to HAVE to start favoring additional funding for mental health."

I don't know why that is only an issue with pro-gun conservatives.....you must think that anti-gun liberals would gladly fund the additional cost of treating mental illnesses?

But other than that piece of nitwittery I must say.....
Dammit.......I agree with AP.......

now I have to go shoot myself .....

(stfu Toddler)

smile

#808049 - 12/17/12 07:41 PM Re: Turning Point? [Re: AP a.k.a. Kaiser D]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Originally Posted By: AP a.k.a. Kaiser D

Another thing that I think will happen is we'll take more steps towards bankrupting ourselves by over-securing everything from malls to schools to movie theaters. Just like after 9/11, the fear is going to capture the public and we're going to spend a bunch of money we don't have for a bunch of security theater that won't protect anyone from anything.

The Fear Industry (Security, Guns, Ammo, the NRA) would not only be OK with this, but are already lining up their lobbyists to do exactly this.

Fish on...

Todd

#808052 - 12/17/12 07:52 PM Re: Turning Point? [Re: ]
AP a.k.a. Kaiser D Offline
Hippie

Loc: B'ham
Did it take the off duty deputy 30 rounds?

#808060 - 12/17/12 08:02 PM Re: Turning Point? [Re: ]
Us and Them Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Seattle
The only thing that could be changed is the involuntary commitment laws and I do not see that happening. Even if they did and you could hold someone until they were deemed better once they get out they stop taken their drugs and the ride starts all over again.

I seem to remember something about a building blowing up in OK city. They were sane and did not use guns . How about suicide bombers . There are 1000s of ways to kill many people at once , the only thing you need is the motivation. I think it scares people that there is no real solution. Your kids are safer in school than they are in your car .

#808062 - 12/17/12 08:08 PM Re: Turning Point? [Re: Us and Them]
redhook
Unregistered

LOL WHAT!!??

you need to do some research on McVeigh and then rethink your assesment on the "sane" remark...

McVeigh was as crazy as they come...

#808067 - 12/17/12 08:22 PM Re: Turning Point? [Re: ]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

As I said above, it will serve as no turning point, just an opportunity to continue saying, and doing, exactly the same thing...only more of it.

From the right wing fruit loops you will always hear that it's a lack of guns, and too many gun regulations, that cause gun violence. More guns is always the answer.

From the left wing fruit loops you will hear that all guns need to be banned.

What will change? Nothing.

Fish on...

Todd

#808072 - 12/17/12 08:46 PM Re: Turning Point? [Re: Todd]
topwater Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Rocky Mountain High
Originally Posted By: Todd

who are these lefties who want to ban "all" guns?

#808081 - 12/17/12 09:08 PM Re: Turning Point? [Re: topwater]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

There really aren't any, topwater...it's a straw man argument that the right wing fruit loops like to use to justify their "more guns is always the answer" stance.

It's similar to their stance on taxes...a tax break is the answer to every single question regarding virtually anything other than guns.

Economy sucks? Tax breaks!

Economy is great? Tax breaks!

Same difference, only with guns.

Hank, I don't know what the answer is...but I know this: what we are doing now does not work, and it only gets worse, every single day.

Fish on...

Todd

#808084 - 12/17/12 09:11 PM Re: Turning Point? [Re: topwater]
Us and Them Offline
Repeat Spawner

Dhooky post your sources?

#808085 - 12/17/12 09:17 PM Re: Turning Point? [Re: Us and Them]
Us and Them Offline
Repeat Spawner

Actually all crime is at an all time low and violent crime is even lower. How is that worse? Parents are more likely to kill their kids than strangers btw. Maybe we should ban parents or require mental evaluations before parenting? The only thing that will happen is we will have an excess of people running around screaming that we need to change something to make ourselves feel better about this. You can't make your self feel better about this it just flat sucks . Gus mccrae had the best advice " the only thing you can do about death is just ride off from it"

#808094 - 12/17/12 09:47 PM Re: Turning Point? [Re: topwater]
RowVsWade Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Island Time
Originally Posted By: topwater

who are these lefties who want to ban "all" guns?

There really aren't any, topwater...it's a straw man argument that the right wing fruit loops like to use to justify their "more guns is always the answer" stance.Todd

Todd, as usual, is full of sh.it.

Check out the democrat underground. Not only do many of the leftwing fu.cksticks want all guns banned they want gunowners executed.

You could research this on your own...or do what mindless idiots like you on the darkside tend to do....which is listen to little miss dipsh.it Todd and take his endless bullsh.it as fact.

I know you'll choose the later. wink

If you don't like our prices bring your wife down and we'll dicker.

#808096 - 12/17/12 09:58 PM Re: Turning Point? [Re: Us and Them]
redhook
Unregistered

sources? i dont have any specific ones theres been alot written about him... well i do have one source, its called reality..

no "sane" person goes and kills 168 innocent people for no reason other than because he had some opinions, only fvckin phsycopaths do that crap... i dont give 2 sh!ts about what the doctor said during the trial, McVeigh was in no way a sane person... he was a genius, yes, but batsh!t
crazy to the hilt...

i suppose you are going to tell me Hitler was sane too? did i go to far with him? ok, Moussalini, and if i cant use him, i will use Bin Laden...

and if you think blowing your self up for Allah, isnt crazy, then you sir, are certified fweakin nuts...

#808098 - 12/17/12 10:03 PM Re: Turning Point? [Re: Us and Them]
Idaho Mike Offline
Carcass

Loc: Post Falls Idaho
I believe this is a turning point, but how far will the turn go? Will it stop at legislation that is sure to be introduced banning assault weapons and end there or will there be more? I don't have the answers, but I do know that the problem has many facets to it and stricter control on assault type weapons is one component that I believe needs to be done; but by itself, not enough.

I do know that over a billion dollars has been cut from mental health programs over the years and is likely not ever to be restored. Arming teachers is not going to happen nor is it practical. Teachers are not police officers and I suspect most would be unwilling to carry and train regularly with firearms.

Then there is the delicate balance of hardening schools as a target. Airport type security is too much, but maybe more can be done. Security officers that are not armed and in uniform as well as properly trained are worthless. So, a lot more money would have to be spent on what truly is a very unlikely unvent. School shootings are low frequency and high risk.

I suspect this shooter was after high shock value and the overwhelming media response only helps that. Every news show I see has this guy's picture up on the screen. Got to wonder how many other whacko's are thinking of ways to out do him.

The discussion needs to move from the usual arguements of gun control Vs locking people up. We can only hope that we as a nation move this discussion to a higher level by bringing everything to the table and recognize that this problem will require a multi faceted approach.

#808123 - 12/17/12 11:24 PM Re: Turning Point? [Re: ]
Illyrian Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Spokane, wa
Lol, They are both mental juveniles, one is just a bit sillier than
the other. You pick.

#808134 - 12/18/12 12:01 AM Re: Turning Point? [Re: Illyrian]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

Even if it is a turning point, it won't be very effective, if at all. Events like this are statistical outliers, ranging somewhere between uncommon and rare. I think what is difficult for people to acknowledge and handle is that there is no solution for "preventing mass school murder shootings from ever happening again." What there is are some measures that might reduce the frequency and the extent of damage when they do occur. Changes to address the latter have already occurred. Police responders respond differently by attempting to directly engage the perp instead of waiting for the SWAT team to arrive. Schools devise strategies and drills to reduce the number of victims, which it appears the folks at Sandy Hook did.

Bans on guns labeled "assault weapons" and large capacity magazines would reduce their availability to the criminally motivated over time, probably measured in decades, but instant results would be elusive.

Meanwhile it would be of greater benefit for folks to come to terms with the notion that the certainty they seek is not attainable, at any cost. And society is always concerned about cost. Reactionary measures, like TSA and Homeland Security feel good window dressing, as was done post-9/11, is not an effective alternative.

#808137 - 12/18/12 12:20 AM Re: Turning Point? [Re: Salmo g.]
RowVsWade Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Island Time
Well put and very true.

We need to address mental illness and societies reactions and response to those that may not be able to effectively care for themselves. I read a good essay by a mother of a child prone to violent outbursts. I'll see if I can find it.

If you don't like our prices bring your wife down and we'll dicker.

#808138 - 12/18/12 12:23 AM Re: Turning Point? [Re: Salmo g.]
ParaLeaks Offline
WINNER

Loc: Olypen
Well stated, Salmo.

I have a phrase posted on the wall at work which was not coined by me, but one of my co-workers. It seems to fit a multitude of today's reactions.......... "over-reaction to irresponsibility".

Frustratingly true.

Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
troller
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 463 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 27837
Dan S. 16958
Sol Duc 15727
The Moderator 13941
Salmo g. 13395
eyeFISH 12606
STRIKE ZONE 11969
Dogfish 10878
ParaLeaks 10363
Jerry Garcia 9013
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63789 Topics
645469 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |