Three Rivers Marine

Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#808413 - 12/19/12 11:14 AM Re: Turning Point? [Re: willametteriveroutlaw]
Dave Vedder Offline
Reverend Tarpones

Loc: West Duvall
2 Many eloquently said what so many of us feel. This is so horrible it's really hard to comprehend. The live lost are only a drop in the bucket to the lives forever damaged.

We all know new gun laws will do little to stop this. What might help IMHO is far better mental health care. Most insurance companies provide very limited mental health coverage as do most state public assistance programs. And very few can afford to pay the costs out of pocket.

If we want better mental health care we will need to pay for it - either through considerably health insurance premiums, higher taxes or both.

Edited by Dave Vedder (12/19/12 11:15 AM)

#808414 - 12/19/12 11:21 AM Re: Turning Point? [Re: Dave Vedder]
Us and Them Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Seattle
It will not be just paying more for mental health it will also include ceding civil rights for all of us. Read about France's farmer and all of the forced lobotomies in the 50's . The laws changed for a reason and it was not just about cost. Other governments around the world routinely use mental health as a reason to suppress dissonance.

Freedom is not free it comes at a price.

Edited by Tom Joad (12/19/12 11:40 AM)

#808440 - 12/19/12 12:59 PM Re: Turning Point? [Re: Us and Them]
ParaLeaks Offline
WINNER

Loc: Olypen
Long ago I learned that trying to comprehend insanity IS insanity in itself.

#808471 - 12/19/12 02:38 PM Re: Turning Point? [Re: ]
RowVsWade Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Island Time
Chuck---I'm not ignoring you just very busy with taking care of my wife and daughter that are getting over a cold and in the middle of moving.

I will say that I feel for your wife and am familiar with the responsibilties placed on teachers. They have become pyschologists, educators, nurses and everything else that the students parents aren't. My SIL is a teachers in Marysville and works with the worst of the troubled souls that either don't have physically present parents, emotionally absent parents, substance abuse and physical and emotionally abusiove parents. Listening to her brings tears to my eyes.

I've gained a different perspective for what we expect from educators and support them. They've become almost a last line of defense and support for the poor children.

If you don't like our prices bring your wife down and we'll dicker.

#808473 - 12/19/12 02:58 PM Re: Turning Point? [Re: RowVsWade]
Us and Them Offline
Repeat Spawner

The teachers and schools pushed for mainstreaming back in the 60's . As a part of their empire building they wanted to be able to hire and control more budget. the one on one programs for disabled kids developed from lawsuits centered around equal access to education. I don't feel sorry for the teachers at all. If the schools would cut all the bullshiat from their budgets they would have plenty of money and support. Our middle school just placed # 6 in the state in reading and math MSP not because we have a bigger budget or more teachers but because of parent volunteers and community involvement with the school management. There is still 50% waste in time and resource that could be applied to the core subjects.

#808478 - 12/19/12 03:14 PM Re: Turning Point? [Re: Us and Them]
Illahee Offline
River Nutrients

If banning assault rifles with high capacity magazines saves the life of one child, then it's worth it.
If you want to play with assault rifles, then join the fuking military.

#808483 - 12/19/12 03:28 PM Re: Turning Point? [Re: ]
Illahee Offline
River Nutrients

You could remove the weapon of choice.

#808485 - 12/19/12 03:36 PM Re: Turning Point? [Re: Illahee]
redhook
Unregistered

why should i be punnished for someone elses actions?

it would be like me taking your car away because some drunk guy killed a family last night... is that fair?

i go through all proper background checks and wait periods (if nessecary) when purchasing firearms, why should i be punnished because a few people get guns illegally and create mayhem with them?

i didnt cause them to do it, they did, i didnt help them, why punnish me?

people are taking the term "assault weapon" or "assault rifle", way too far... any weapon can be used to assault someone, even a butter knife, are we gonna label them "assault butter knives" now?

#808489 - 12/19/12 03:57 PM Re: Turning Point? [Re: Us and Them]
Us and Them Offline
Repeat Spawner

Amen brother Stam . You get it.

#808498 - 12/19/12 04:23 PM Re: Turning Point? [Re: Illahee]
willametteriveroutlaw Offline
Spawner

Loc: Idaho
Originally Posted By: Illahee
If banning assault rifles with high capacity magazines saves the life of one child, then it's worth it.
If you want to play with assault rifles, then join the fuking military.

But it won't.. Nutjobs will be Nutjobs. Hi capacity magazines are such a minor issue as are AR15's..

The number 1 school massacre committed in the US was perpetrated with Dynamite by a nut Job in the 20's.

The biggest national tragedies as far as body count were done with fertilizer/diesel and Airplanes.

#808500 - 12/19/12 04:32 PM Re: Turning Point? [Re: willametteriveroutlaw]
docspud Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Silverdale Wa
Media is a much bigger problem than guns. They just can not help themselves in attempting to out report one another. Just makes these POS losers all the more likely to copycat.

A quick bullet and flush of the name from history would do far more to stop the next one than banning guns.

#808501 - 12/19/12 04:39 PM Re: Turning Point? [Re: ]
No More Ice Fishin Offline
Returning Adult

Some of the debate on gun control includes a rural vs. urban perspective that makes me a little uncomfortable. Urban folks tend to see guns as instruments of crime and violence - rural folks see them as tools for hunting and self-defense.

I don't think new gun laws will make much difference in the short term, either.

At the same time, I can't really justify any reason not to ban assault weapons. In my mind, it isn't a slippery slope, but rather a fairly clear line. For me, assault weapons land somewhere past the tools of self-defense and hunting.

I also don't think it is unreasonable to make buying and owning a gun in all states as difficult as getting a driver's license. We don't see that as a huge loss of freedom. And even though any yahoo can grab the keys and go barreling into people down the road one day, we still think it is prudent to have a process in place where folks are required to demonstrate their ability to safely operate a vehicle.

#808503 - 12/19/12 04:46 PM Re: Turning Point? [Re: No More Ice Fishin]
willametteriveroutlaw Offline
Spawner

Loc: Idaho
Your "assault weapon" is my favorite Varmit rifle.

#808504 - 12/19/12 04:48 PM Re: Turning Point? [Re: No More Ice Fishin]
Us and Them Offline
Repeat Spawner

Yeah because 35k dead and 10k from drinks shows how well the licensing system works. Education works too we have poured billions into programs to reduce unwanted pregnancies and still 50% of all pregnancies are unplanned and there are well over a million abortions performed each year. People are going to do what they want to do regardless of what obstacles you put in their way.

#808524 - 12/19/12 06:06 PM Re: Turning Point? [Re: ]
AP a.k.a. Kaiser D Offline
Hippie

Loc: B'ham
The idea of a media blackout that discusses the mental state and motivations of the shooter is equivilent of yelling "LALALALA, I CAN'T HEAR YOU". Discussing the background and what lead to an event is fundamental in trying to figure out what happened and, hopefully, using that information to prevent something similar in the future.

#808558 - 12/19/12 07:40 PM Re: Turning Point? [Re: willametteriveroutlaw]
Illahee Offline
River Nutrients

Originally Posted By: willametteriveroutlaw
Your "assault weapon" is my favorite Varmit rifle.

Find another weapon you d1psh1t.
Now I now why some animals eat their young.

#808572 - 12/19/12 08:02 PM Re: Turning Point? [Re: ]
Us and Them Offline
Repeat Spawner

When people walking into a room and kill multiple people with a cigarette you might have a legit comparison Chunky. You do that UW BA proud.

#808574 - 12/19/12 08:03 PM Re: Turning Point? [Re: Illahee]
Illyrian Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Spokane, wa
How did you survive? Cain used a rock. Ban rocks. How many can
you fry with a Molotov Coctail or two tossed into a classroom?
Gotta figure out some way to forestall the psychos. And the psychos
are known to many parents.

#808575 - 12/19/12 08:05 PM Re: Turning Point? [Re: Illyrian]
AP a.k.a. Kaiser D Offline
Hippie

Loc: B'ham
There are some really bad analogies in this thread.

#808577 - 12/19/12 08:09 PM Re: Turning Point? [Re: AP a.k.a. Kaiser D]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
The use of bad analogies is the cornerstone of the "we don't have enough guns, that's the problem!" argument.

Fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Swifty27
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (wolverine), 1173 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13525
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63781 Topics
645406 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |