LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#81159 - 04/11/99 02:54 AM Protecting the bottom of your boat?
IntenseGK Offline
Fry

Loc: Olympia, WA
A couple of questions to you avid fisherpeople out there: Is there any coatings etc. that you have put on the bottom of your boat to help protect it? I have heard that if you put the spray on truck bed liner on the bottom of the boat it isn't as sticky as aluminum on the rocks? So what do I do, leave the boat retro or have something put on it? Anyway, I appreciate any input that anybody might have on this subject. Feel free to email me if you'd like.

#81160 - 04/11/99 10:49 AM Re: Protecting the bottom of your boat?
chromer Offline
Egg

Loc: maple valley
don't use truck stuff,it will cause drag on you boat.gluvit is slicker or call your boat dealership and see what he would recommend.good luck.

#81161 - 04/11/99 09:18 PM Re: Protecting the bottom of your boat?
dcrzfitter Offline
Spawner

Loc: Tenino, wa U.S.A.
I ordered my willie drift boat yesterday and coating the underside of my new boat is one of the questions I had when looking at boats. after asking around I learned that the truck stuff would be a good idea for the tuffnes but it is said to cause tomuch drag. probable the best thing I found is something that willie boats recamends and they call it"coat-it" it's cheap and simple to do you're self. I think they told me you can find a can of it for about $25.00 and just brush it on and when it gets torn up after alot of use you just repeat and don't need to chisel the old stuff off like many other types like gloveit. I still have not desided what I will use and am allso intrested in different ideas for coating my new boat when I get it neer the end of MAy. I can't wait!!!

------------------

#81162 - 04/12/99 01:00 AM Re: Protecting the bottom of your boat?
Bob Offline

Dazed and Confused

Loc: Forks, WA & Soldotna, AK
I have coat-it on both my boats (Wildhair Boats put it on as a std. part of the boat) ... good stuff, and easy to reapply when needed, much easier to use in less than ideal application conditions. Only problem vs. gluvit ... it is black ... makes the bottom of the boat an even more popular place to hide when you've got a fish on!

"You CANNOT fix stupid!"

#81163 - 04/12/99 01:07 AM Re: Protecting the bottom of your boat?
Winterrun Offline
Alevin

Loc: Gig Harbor, Wa
I would recommend "Coat It". I used it on bottom of my driftboat and found it works great, is seems to be "slicker" than gluvit and not as heavy. Very easy to apply, you can use your normal paint roller. I used 2 cans and total cost was @ $50.00. Just make sure you apply evenly and quickly as it sets up rather quick. One flaw is it does chip off over time, but all you need to do is apply a new coat. I just ordered a new Willie last week, and plan on putting this on the bottom as one of the first things I do to it.

#81164 - 04/12/99 02:25 PM Re: Protecting the bottom of your boat?
Eric Offline
River Nutrients

Hey guys!

I got my Willie boat last spring and ordered the "coat-it" Good stuff. Everyone's comments above are accurate however, a word of caution to the guys ordering their new willie boats with the bottom coating. I ordered mine with it and found the coating they applied to be quite thin. It appeared they used only one can over the entire bottom where, for real protection, you need about 2-3 cans. I put on a couple more coats right away and didn't regret it.

Eric

#81165 - 04/12/99 02:43 PM Re: Protecting the bottom of your boat?
takedown Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Bonney Lake Wa.
I used coat it for the first time two years ago and it has held up much better than the gloveit. Winterrun was the person who recommended it to me. I would add that I etched the bottom with acid before application and I think that helped it adhere better.

#81166 - 04/12/99 03:26 PM Re: Protecting the bottom of your boat?
sebastian Offline
Fry

Loc: Federal Way
My buddy, "the degrader" just arma coated the bottom of his clacka craft. It was that or re gelcoat. I have not seen the boat yet but he tells me its very tough and slippery. He has broken it in on a couple Hoh and Bogey. trips and tells me his clacka actually rows better. He is trying to talk me into coating my lavro, saying that it will be a much more durable bottom but Im still not covinced, lets see how it holds up after a season out there, besides Im not sure if coating my lavro would void the warranty. I will try to get him to post, he can tell you more about it than I can. All in all it sounds like a pretty good alternative for a bottom coat.

[This message has been edited by sebastian (edited 04-12-99).]

#81167 - 04/12/99 03:29 PM Re: Protecting the bottom of your boat?
Coho Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Muk
Does anyone know where you can get "Coat It"?

#81168 - 04/12/99 05:35 PM Re: Protecting the bottom of your boat?
chromer Offline
Egg

Loc: maple valley
if you live in the puget sound area,auburn sports marine carries the goo...just dont' buy it all.'cuz after word gets out...it'll be gone!!!ha!

#81169 - 04/12/99 11:57 PM Re: Protecting the bottom of your boat?
Winterrun Offline
Alevin

Loc: Gig Harbor, Wa
Sportco in Fife also carries it, at least they did last time I checked, You might also give GI Joes a call to see if they stock the stuff. One hint, if Auburn Sports runs out of the small cans, ask them to get you the 1 gal. can. One hint, when you go to apply it, try and pick a nice sunny day, let the boat bottom get nice and hot, then apply. You'll
get done in half the normal time...
Good luck!!

#81170 - 04/13/99 12:58 AM Re: Protecting the bottom of your boat?
JTD Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Browns Point,Wa. USA
Hey Witerrun-
That would make two "hints" ; )
I'll explain at work tomorrow!
In the legend of King Arthur, the Fisher King was a renowned angler whose errant ways caused him to be struck dumb in the presence of the sacred chalice. I am no great fisherman, and a steelhead is not the covenant of Christ, but with each of these fish I am rendered speechless.

#81171 - 04/13/99 10:51 AM Re: Protecting the bottom of your boat?
Coho Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Muk
Hey Winter with friends like that.......

#81172 - 04/13/99 05:35 PM Re: Protecting the bottom of your boat?
Anonymous
Unregistered

JTD - surely you know that there are three kinds of anglers; those that can count and those that can't !!

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
3Gonads, herm
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1089 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13520
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645296 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |