Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#815000 - 01/14/13 01:08 AM Re: Best Colors for Muddy Water [Re: Bantam]
ColeyG Offline
Ranger Danger

Loc: AK
Rubber legs intruder. Well done.

The ascot forefathers are surely rolling over in their graves.

EZ Thread Yarn Balls

"I don't care how you catch them, as long as you treat them well and with respect." Lani Waller in "A Steelheader's Way."

#815026 - 01/14/13 05:02 AM Re: Best Colors for Muddy Water [Re: ]
metaladdiction Offline
Returning Adult

Knarly intruder bantam. I have been hacking up my salmon squids and playing around with the same kinda ideas. Yes Coley they probably are, but they also did not have the tools to turn or huck such a beast. Spey rods w 600 grain skagit heads = bad ass chicken cannons.

#815047 - 01/14/13 12:24 PM Re: Best Colors for Muddy Water [Re: metaladdiction]
humble-hubby Offline
Fry

Loc: CHEHALIS, WA
Neon, your post on twitchin' jig colors in part motivated me to start this topic. Being guides on the Situk, you all have spent some time "on" fish there and so I'll give the black a go again next fall. I may not have gone big enough in the past when I tried black in muddy water.

#815052 - 01/14/13 01:21 PM Re: Best Colors for Muddy Water [Re: steeliedrew]
Rossiman Offline
Spawner

Loc: Monroe, WA
Originally Posted By: steeliedrew
Originally Posted By: Rossiman
Black/White, White Matte Spoons, Bright Orange/Chartreuse, Bright Pink/Chartreuse. My go to is Hot Pink/Chartreuse followed by Black/White because of the contrast...
Big drift bobbers/yarn, Rags, Worms and Spoons to.

Contrast rocks for pretty much all Steelhead conditions.

Nice spoons! Did you airbrush those?

Rob at R&B...

#815063 - 01/14/13 02:11 PM Re: Best Colors for Muddy Water [Re: Rossiman]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

Bantam,

Likin' that Intruder! Bright or dark, the rubber legs should make lots of action.

Coley,

The Intruder is a lure, not a fly, so no worries about the ascot forefathers.

Sg

#815065 - 01/14/13 02:14 PM Re: Best Colors for Muddy Water [Re: Salmo g.]
ColeyG Offline
Ranger Danger

Aha. What is the difference? Or rather, what are the elements of each and where do you draw the line between them?

EZ Thread Yarn Balls

"I don't care how you catch them, as long as you treat them well and with respect." Lani Waller in "A Steelheader's Way."

#815074 - 01/14/13 03:00 PM Re: Best Colors for Muddy Water [Re: ColeyG]
AP a.k.a. Kaiser D Offline
Hippie

Loc: B'ham
It was written.

Attachments
11-commandments.jpg

#815093 - 01/14/13 04:23 PM Re: Best Colors for Muddy Water [Re: AP a.k.a. Kaiser D]
metaladdiction Offline
Returning Adult

Funny [Bleeeeep!] Kaiser

So Sg does that mean we are only allowed to use gear rods for the intruder or are Spey rods not considered fly worthy by our Ascot forefathers?

#815098 - 01/14/13 05:34 PM Re: Best Colors for Muddy Water [Re: metaladdiction]
Jason Beezuz Offline
My Waders are Moist

Loc: PNW
You only worry about the definition of fly fishing if you are a "fly fisherman", which is to say you think yourself different from other fishermen in some way even though you aren't.

Maybe it's amphetamines.

#815099 - 01/14/13 05:35 PM Re: Best Colors for Muddy Water [Re: Jason Beezuz]
Jason Beezuz Offline
My Waders are Moist

Also, there are only two types of fishermen, those that fish with a net for money and those that fish with a line for sport. The rest is just fantasies and egos.

Maybe it's amphetamines.

#815102 - 01/14/13 06:08 PM Re: Best Colors for Muddy Water [Re: Jason Beezuz]
ColeyG Offline
Ranger Danger

AP rofl

Sorry Salmo. Didn't mean to start an ascot skirmish.

I remain interested in the answer, not facetiously either.

EZ Thread Yarn Balls

#815104 - 01/14/13 06:11 PM Re: Best Colors for Muddy Water [Re: Jason Beezuz]
metaladdiction Offline
Returning Adult

Could not agree with you more Jason. Although after watching a guide and two clients who were mediocre casters flogging the water with nymphs, my brother made a statement that was funny as hell. "Everybody wants to be a fly fisherman, but nobody wants to fly fish". That was the joke the rest of the trip. Just started tying and swinging for steelhead last year. Still keep my gear rods handy. Have not been able to get myself to nymph yet though. I figure if I'm gonna do that, I might as well use a gear rod with a float. Heading up to the OP tomorrow with only my spey in hopes of getting my first steelhead on the swing.

Tight Lines

#815106 - 01/14/13 06:15 PM Re: Best Colors for Muddy Water [Re: ColeyG]
metaladdiction Offline
Returning Adult

Originally Posted By: ColeyG
AP rofl

Sorry Salmo. Didn't mean to start an ascot skirmish.

I remain interested in the answer, not facetiously either.

As am I. Although skirmishes on this sight can occasionally make for a great thread.

#815110 - 01/14/13 06:31 PM Re: Best Colors for Muddy Water [Re: metaladdiction]
Jason Beezuz Offline
My Waders are Moist

ASCOT SKIRMISH!!!!!!!!!!

Meet up behind the cafeteria after school!!!!!!!

Maybe it's amphetamines.

#815112 - 01/14/13 06:37 PM Re: Best Colors for Muddy Water [Re: metaladdiction]
ColeyG Offline
Ranger Danger

Originally Posted By: metaladdiction

As am I. Although skirmishes on this sight can occasionally make for a great thread.

Dig up "Bantam's Skunktruder" from last winter if you haven't seen that one already. Five star skirmish!

EZ Thread Yarn Balls

#815115 - 01/14/13 07:22 PM Re: Best Colors for Muddy Water [Re: ColeyG]
metaladdiction Offline
Returning Adult

Am I allowed to bring my Halibut meat stick to the skirmish? Or are there ground rules?

#815119 - 01/14/13 07:49 PM Re: Best Colors for Muddy Water [Re: metaladdiction]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
Originally Posted By: metaladdiction
Am I allowed to bring my Halibut meat stick to the skirmish? Or are there ground rules?

Can you do a SnapT with it?

Fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#815134 - 01/14/13 09:19 PM Re: Best Colors for Muddy Water [Re: Todd]
metaladdiction Offline
Returning Adult

With my customized 10 ft shooting head and floating tip I can get the snap, but my D loop keeps collapsing on itself. Might just have to go back to the braid and weighted treble hook system I had on there before.

#815144 - 01/14/13 09:34 PM Re: Best Colors for Muddy Water [Re: metaladdiction]
ColeyG Offline
Ranger Danger

You might wanna try Rio's new 15,000 grain Skagit compact.

EZ Thread Yarn Balls

#815174 - 01/14/13 10:02 PM Re: Best Colors for Muddy Water [Re: metaladdiction]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

Coley,

First off, I don't know, nor do I care enough to ask around. Reformed bait thugs I've known who became purists use flies tied only of natural materials, except for the steel hook. Silk thread, not nylon or kevlar, no tinsel, just natural fur, hair, feathers, in natural, not dyed colors. Not easy these days to tie a fly with no synthetic materials.

I heard Ed Ward (one of the originators) describe the Intruder as an engineered fly pattern, er lure. And Bantam's rendition can only be a more evolved edition.

AP,

5 stars fer sure!

Metaladdiction,

You can use whatever rod you wish. I know guys who claim to have cast Dick Nite spoons on their Spey rods, but none who have cast a RVRFSHR. The boundaries between fly fishing and conventional gear have been irrevocably erased with the invention of space age plastic rods and plastic fly lines. So just for chuckles I long ago defined fly fishing as limited to rods made from Tonkin cane or greenheart, lines of silk, leaders of drawn gut, and reels made in England. And with the popularity of dirty-azzed nymphing, that pretty much makes everyone a knuckle-dragging bait thug. That shouldn't offend anyone would it?

Sg

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
m_ray, Str8nr
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
2 registered (DrifterWA, Tug 3), 112 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645368 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |