Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#82467 - 03/09/99 02:49 PM line for spinning reels
CRAVEN MOOREHEAD Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: TACOMA,WA
I just got a new Shimano Stratic spinning reel. I have used baitcasting reels for years, but I'm getting into jig fishing a little bit and wanted to try a spinning reel. My question is: should I use the same line as on my bait casting reels? I use Maxima ultragreen excliusively now. I heard you should use a limper line for spinning reels. Any truth to this?.....Thanks for the info.

#82468 - 03/09/99 03:23 PM Re: line for spinning reels
Lazy Drifter Offline
Fry

Loc: Darrington, WA
The limper the line the better. I have tried to use maxima on my spinning reel and it coils off the spool. Berkley XL works great in the summer, but does not stand up to abrasion at all. The last two winters I have used Stren MagnaThin and have had little problems with line twist. It is a lot stronger than the Berkley.I have found that on my small spool(Spirex 2000) that any line over 10lbs test does not work well.Always use tough line for the leader material, that is what takes the beating usually.I use a faily light rod even this time of year to compensate for the light line.This could be a problem if you hook one of the pigs of spring however.I know some of the braided lines available now work well because they float and this makes it easy to mend your casts when fishing with a float.Better have a strong rod if you go that route. Hope this helps

#82469 - 03/09/99 03:24 PM Re: line for spinning reels
Anonymous
Unregistered

This is true, especially on cold days. maximaultragreen is borderline on stiffness but will work if you are vigillant and close your bail quickly after a cast to prevent your line from uncoiling. I have had good luck with ande in spinning reels but find that it does not have the abrasion resistance that ultra green has. I actually prefer level winds for float fishing myself, I find them easer to free spool line to a bobber while holding line out of the water with upraised rod tip. Good luck.

#82470 - 03/09/99 03:30 PM Re: line for spinning reels
JK Offline
Spawner

Loc: KIrkland, Wa, USA
I always use trilene...nice and thin...never a problem...McCoy works good too...Good Luck!

#82471 - 03/09/99 06:14 PM Re: line for spinning reels
Jigman Offline
Spawner

Loc: Seattle
I've tried all the lines out there and finally settled on Excaliber which is made by Silver Thread. I't has very little memory, small diameter and excellent abrasion resistance. I always run spinning reels and use line up to 14lbs test and have no problems with the line at all.

#82472 - 03/10/99 01:48 AM Re: line for spinning reels
TK Offline
Parr

Loc: Snohomish, WA, USA
For mono try the Izorline. I have found it to be very similar to Maxima in every respect except it seems to be more limp. 10lb works OK on the 2000, I'm sure 8lb would work better. For a float and jig setup I have gone to PowerPro, a braided line. It floats, which allows you to mend your line like a flyline. It results in no belly and thus a drag free drift. Have you tried this Jigman? I found it to be way better than mono.

#82473 - 03/10/99 06:16 PM Re: line for spinning reels
Jigman Offline
Spawner

Loc: Seattle
I haven't tried any braids. I'm a little tentative about trying them because they don't have any stretch and sometimes a little stretch can be a good thing with steelhead. If you use mono and want it to float, a little fly line dressing on it does the trick!

#82474 - 03/11/99 01:20 PM Re: line for spinning reels
TH Offline
Spawner

Loc: Coos Bay, OR
Way to go on picking the Stradic. That reel is the best thing since sliced bread.

I use 10lb Ande and really like it. I'm not able to put as mucj line on the spool, but I don't fish the huge Washington rivers. Just the little small "creeks" in OR.

Stren MagnaThin is also a favorite as is Stren Sensor. Although, I can't find anyone else who likes Sensor???
www.thcustomrods.com
541-260-9991

#82475 - 03/12/99 01:52 AM Re: line for spinning reels
kore Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Carson, WA
I like using berkley XL(because of its limpness) but like was said above, it can't take abrasion. I use 8lb maxima ultragreen, with fly floatant or pariffin smeared on the first 30 or so feet of line to keep the line on the surface, for good hook sets. good luck

#82476 - 09/11/99 08:13 PM Re: line for spinning reels
Anonymous
Unregistered

I saw Fishkis's post on 'what's my line?' and knew I'd seen this topic covered a couple of times before.

I've been experimenting with Excalibur Silver Threat #12 on my baitcasters (and a fly reel that I'm practicing 'chuck and duck' fishing a la Hawk) and have deliberately left line on the reel too long (over 10 trips). Still fishing strong and has retained its strong knot and breaking strength despite repeated heavy stretching. I like it because it's thinner than Ultragreen #10 and breaks (fresh) at 13+ lbs.

Having said all that, I've got bulk spools of Maxima Ultragreen in #10, #15 #20 and when it comes to the crunch: steelhead or salmon fishing (vs. swamps and salt ponds at home) I always spool up the Ultragreen with excellent results.

I've been meaning to test a spool of Sufix Synergy as it's reputedly very abrasion resistant, limp and thin. (Speaking of which, Robbo, if you're reading this, how's the honeymoon going?) Sufix also costs about half of Maxima -- something to ponder when I'm changing 150-200 yards of line daily when on one of those destination fly-out trips and dreaming of trophies.

#82477 - 09/15/99 02:17 AM Re: line for spinning reels
The Catcherman Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Ellensburg, WA
Anybody ever try different techniques for spooling line on spinning reels? I've heard that if you can put it on your reel the same way it is wound on the spool, it won't come coiling off when the bail is open. I have tried this but have not noticed a difference. I use Izorline (has never let me down and the price is right). Guess I'll try a limper line for the spinnin' reels.

#82478 - 09/15/99 02:50 PM Re: line for spinning reels
obsessed Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Seattle, WA, USA
I'll plug my favorite again since nobody has mentioned it: Gamakatsu.

Its thin diameter, pretty strong and abrasion resistant, and well behaved. I use both 8 and 10lb on my Spirex 2000. It is categorically stronger than Trilene XL or Ultrathin, but not as strong as the thicker muscle lines I use on casting reels (maxima, trilene XT).

I have had little success with the thicker, stiffer lines on spinning gear, particularly float fishing, since you're often reeling in slack line. Andes ok during the summer, but it will fly off your spool as soon as you open your bail on a cold day.

#82479 - 09/15/99 11:46 PM Re: line for spinning reels
OregonBankie Offline
Parr

Loc: Beaverton, Oregon, USA
I use 18pound TUF line - the braided stuff. It comes off the reel easily without any coiling memory, floats and is therefore easy to mend. The lack of stretch is good as it allows for quick hook sets.

The only drawback I've found is significant tangling in mid-air during a cast when the line is brand new. This is overcome two ways: 1) finger the line as it comes off the spool, and 2) eventual soiling of the line after a few days fishing eliminates the problem. This tangling can be quite frustrating as the tangles are really tight! Use needlenose pliers to help with the tight knots.

The line does not take abrasion well, but that is not much of a factor when using bobbers. It does prevent me from using it for drift fishing, however.

P.S. I use this line on a Shimano Spirex 4000 with a 9 1/2 foot spinning rod.

#82480 - 09/22/99 09:05 PM Re: line for spinning reels
Randy Fischer Offline
Alevin

Loc: Tacoma Wa
I use green spider wire. The fusion wire, 12lb with a 8lb diameter, helps on those snaggly rivers. Very low memory and no line twist. I know for a fact that the abrasion resistance is superior. I think I may try it on my baitcaster, but I'm not sure if it will perform as good as it does on my spinning reel. Anyone know?
Just putting my two cents in. Randy

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
BigRedHead, Gene, Milton Fisher, Selther, SpinyRayLover
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
4 registered (steely slammer, No More Ice Fishin, Carcassman, 1 invisible), 1168 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63779 Topics
645373 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |