LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#811912 - 01/03/13 12:16 AM New Jacket? Simms G3, G4 or Patagonia SST?
Thrasher Offline
Spawner

Loc: Bellingham
I'm sure this has been discussed somewhere on here, but I don't feel like trying to dig one up from the old days.

This could perhaps be a Ford, Chevy and Dodge debate, but I am curious for some input as to which direction y'all would head and why?

I have several Simms products and their customer service is phenomenal but I am not certain if I like the fact that none of the pockets on the G3 and 4 aren't waterproof (inner pockets included) vs that of the Patagonia SST.

What are some 1st hand usage opinions? I am going to be mainly using this on the boat in the salt, not that it matters much, but figured I'd throw it out there.

Matt, what do you use while guiding in the salt?

I had considered Simms Pro Dry jacket but do not like the unlined pockets in front.

Thanks for the help

Edited by Thrasher (01/03/13 12:37 AM)

#811916 - 01/03/13 12:27 AM Re: New Jacket? Simms G3, G4 or Patagonia SST? [Re: Thrasher]
ColeyG Offline
Ranger Danger

Loc: AK
Big fan of the G3. Had one for a few years now and no real complaints. The hood is just a tad small, but they may have fixed that based on feedback by now. Never had a problem with wet pockets and I have put it through some pretty wet conditions for many days in a row.

The G4 is just a little too blingy for my taste, and functionally it is not really that much different than the G3. The G3 is cut a little tighter than the 4, which I like for walking, wading, casting, etc. I don't like much in the way of extra material getting in the way.

If you are going to primarily be using your new jacket on the salt and/or on boats, you might be more stoked on the Pro Dry shell as it is intended more for these types of applications. Heavier, roomier cut, etc.

Good luck!

EZ Thread Yarn Balls

"I don't care how you catch them, as long as you treat them well and with respect." Lani Waller in "A Steelheader's Way."

#811963 - 01/03/13 08:03 AM Re: New Jacket? Simms G3, G4 or Patagonia SST? [Re: ColeyG]
GBL Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Yakutat
Although expensive, I bought a Filson for Alaska, it has worked so well, I bought a second one so I can leave one up there!
Neoprene wrist guards with straps, great hood, large zipper and keeps me perfectly dry and warm all day.
Owned dozens of rain/fishing coats and this Filson is the best, even better than me Simms, and i like mt Simms!

#812013 - 01/03/13 11:56 AM Re: New Jacket? Simms G3, G4 or Patagonia SST? [Re: GBL]
NOFISH Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Olalla, WA
THIS is in my immediate future thumbs

Buy local. Nuf said.

Filson rocks too, and local.

Damn Stam!
Remember, Ask yourself "What would Stam do?" smile

#812047 - 01/03/13 01:52 PM Re: New Jacket? Simms G3, G4 or Patagonia SST? [Re: NOFISH]
Chum Man Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Yelmish
i picked up one of the sonic pro jackets on sierra trading post a month or so back:

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/redington-sonic-pro-jacket-waterproof-for-men~p~5209m/?filterString=s~sonic-pro%2F&colorFamily=01

if you look you can find discount codes on the net...i think i paid about $125 for mine!

i've put around a dozen outings on the thing, some of it in really nasty weather, and didn't get wet. the only complaint i've seen is about the hood -- it's enormous, and without a hat on, i can pull it all the way over my face, but it's really nice if you're like me and tend to wear a hooded sweatshirt and a hat with the jacket. keeps the rain from running down the bill of your hat and soaking your shoulders.

#812072 - 01/03/13 03:28 PM Re: New Jacket? Simms G3, G4 or Patagonia SST? [Re: Chum Man]
STRIKE ZONE Offline
GOOD LUCK

Loc: Hobart,Wa U.S.A
For salt water I think I'd stick with the grunden's. The original heavy one for cold day's and the lighter one for summer day's.How well are those zippers gonna hold up in the salt???????. good luck,
SZ

#812107 - 01/03/13 05:06 PM Re: New Jacket? Simms G3, G4 or Patagonia SST? [Re: ColeyG]
Winterun Offline
Spawner

Loc: Tac/Puy
I'm a big fan of my G3 also for fresh water use. But if your going to be using it primarily in the salt Grunden's. I got a new top last season for use in my boat, it's called the Petrus 760 or 762 in the Grunden's line, its hooded and has a suprisingly waterproof chest pocket which I kept my digital camera in for quick access. It's a pullover 1/4 zip laminated design, fleece underneath, with their rainstopping quiet rubber outer shell, neoprene cuffs, and a fairly big hood that I can still my regular hoodie, and hat underneath and not feel like I have tunnel vision. I think I paid less that $150 for it, money well spent, I think.
If your contemplating getting one of the Gortex type raincoats for saltwater use. Picture this....hot tuna bite, fish coming over the gunnels in wholesale fashion, blood everywhere!!!! Your looking good in your $300-$800 Gortex rainstopper, only to realize that gortex is pourous material to an extent, and tuna blood sticks to and gets into everything, and stinks like....well dead tuna fish blood, especially after it dries!!! You'll be washing that coat for days, just so you can put it on for the next trip!!!
You might not win any fashion contest, or voted the best dressed on your boat, but as I've been told, we're not out here for a pleasure cruise!!! My .02

Fish On!!!
Winterun

Edited by Winterun (01/03/13 05:13 PM)

#812123 - 01/03/13 05:44 PM Re: New Jacket? Simms G3, G4 or Patagonia SST? [Re: ]
STRIKE ZONE Offline
GOOD LUCK

Loc: Hobart,Wa U.S.A
No that that pic again................I had that finally erased from my mind and now it's fresh as day one.................Thanks 2many for bringing up the past.Good luck,
SZ

2many your gonna need to pay for my therapy session..............just sayin.

#812321 - 01/04/13 12:56 AM Re: New Jacket? Simms G3, G4 or Patagonia SST? [Re: STRIKE ZONE]
Vasiliy Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Here is a 35% off coupon for Sierra Trading post, puts that Redington Jacket @ 136$ shipped:

EB010113A

Enter that at checkout. Its good site-wide except for clearance items and some other items are excluded...

Edited by Vasiliy (01/04/13 01:15 AM)

#812341 - 01/04/13 01:43 AM Re: New Jacket? Simms G3, G4 or Patagonia SST? [Re: Vasiliy]
steeleywhopper Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: snohomish county
I just got my Reddington Jacket from Sierra trading post today. Great deal with the coupon and man is this hood fit for a hippo!

#812370 - 01/04/13 10:55 AM Re: New Jacket? Simms G3, G4 or Patagonia SST? [Re: steeleywhopper]
scrimps Offline
Parr

Loc: puget sound
the SST is very thin and even when brand new after a few hours it starts to seep through. its also cut very short for deep wading but if our a tallerish guy it will be uncomfortable. I recommend Simms because they are more heavy duty and because its GORE. you can wash the simms products and revive them. the simms guide jacket is great at a lower price as well.

I have a buddy that was using the pro dry jacket for a while and he went to turn sharply in his sled and the tiller was caught under the long tail of the coat and he didnt make the corner as well as he wouldve liked. he stopped wearing it after that!

#834107 - 04/13/13 11:06 PM Re: New Jacket? Simms G3, G4 or Patagonia SST? [Re: ]
Doctor Rick Offline
Free Prostate Exams

Loc: Sequim
Resuscitating an old thread.

I need a new jacket and was planning on a Simms G3, but the G4 is "only " 79$ more.

Is the price hike worth the value?
Does anybody have any coupon codes for Cabelas or Simms?
Or any other ideas?

Thanks,
Rick

#834110 - 04/13/13 11:42 PM Re: New Jacket? Simms G3, G4 or Patagonia SST? [Re: Doctor Rick]
fish4brains Offline
Dah Rivah Stinkah Pink Mastah

Loc: zipper
Simms G3

#834118 - 04/14/13 01:15 AM Re: New Jacket? Simms G3, G4 or Patagonia SST? [Re: fish4brains]
Jason Beezuz Offline
My Waders are Moist

Loc: PNW
G3. It's heavier duty than all the others. It's obviously made for the worst conditions. However, it can be too much in April-October and turn into a sauna. I do a lot of hike fishing so this can be a drawback some days.

Maybe it's amphetamines.

#834127 - 04/14/13 03:21 AM Re: New Jacket? Simms G3, G4 or Patagonia SST? [Re: Jason Beezuz]
stonefish Offline
King of the Beach

Loc: Carkeek Park
Maybe it is just me, but it seems Simms has downsized the cut on many of their
garments.
My old XXL guide jacket was nice and roomy and allowed for multiple layers when required. I tried on a new G3 XXL and the fit was considerably tighter.
I ended up getting a Patagonia Salt River jacket and have been very happy with it.
SF

#834974 - 04/19/13 01:15 AM Re: New Jacket? Simms G3, G4 or Patagonia SST? [Re: stonefish]
Doctor Rick Offline
Free Prostate Exams

Loc: Sequim
OK. Pulled the trigger on a Simms G3 at caddisflyshop.com from my friend Chris Daughters. I have done a bunch of business there over the yeas and they are good people.

#835070 - 04/19/13 01:18 PM Re: New Jacket? Simms G3, G4 or Patagonia SST? [Re: stonefish]
chrome/22 Offline
Captain C/22 - Team Stay Up Right!

Loc: Hurricane Ridge , Wa.
Originally Posted By: stonefish
Maybe it is just me, but it seems Simms has downsized the cut on many of their garments. My old XXL guide jacket was nice and roomy and allowed for multiple layers when required. I tried on a new G3 XXL and the fit was considerably tighter

Think so too.

My 2011 Simms Guide Jacket is my OP rain & cold weather wind shell I can put as many layers under it as I need for that day. The G 3/4 jackets have that little internal collar that is sweet for keeping rain from working its way down your back, if your hood is flipped back.

c/22

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
BigRedHead, Gene, Milton Fisher, Selther, SpinyRayLover
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
3 registered (20 Gage, seabeckraised, No More Ice Fishin), 1175 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63779 Topics
645373 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |