LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#83872 - 12/15/99 06:48 PM Best Steelhead videos?
Anonymous
Unregistered

It's Christmas time and I thought I'd buy my non-fishing wife one or two steelhead videos this year but I'm at a loss as to where to find them (and more importantly, if they're any good).

I've seen 3 over the years that are worth recommending:

1 + 2) Bought a couple of steelhead videos on my last trip to the States and was watching Capt Armand ('Mondo') Castagna + friends of Steelhead Backroadz slam 'em on the Smith and then in Bob's back yard (second tape). Wonderful scenery, great fishing but perhaps a little light on technique.

3) I've also got the In-Fisherman's steelhead video. Lots of technique and instruction-oriented, but it's also about 80% focused on drifting roe in Great Lakes rivers which has limited relevance to where I fish.

I'm so desperate that even a steelhead fly fishing video would be worth considering. (In fact, my fly casting technique is so bad it's X-rated. Anyone having any suggestions re how-to videos in that area should also pitch in.)

Given the river conditions in Forks, I'd imagine Bob will also be in the market for videos soon . . . if he doesn't start a Mailboxes-R-Us website!

#83873 - 12/15/99 07:01 PM Re: Best Steelhead videos?
Sinktip Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Bothell, WA
You might want to check out the 3M steelhead series by Lani Waller. It is fly fishing oriented but informative and filmed on the Deschutes in Oregon.

#83874 - 12/16/99 03:27 PM Re: Best Steelhead videos?
eddie Offline
Carcass

Loc: Valencia, Negros Oriental, Phi...
Also check out Jim Teeny's tape in the 3M/Scientific Anglers series. Great summer run action with his "If I spot 'em, I got 'em" technique.

R.P. McMurphy - One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest

#83875 - 12/16/99 03:34 PM Re: Best Steelhead videos?
Misty Offline
Smolt

Loc: Poulsbo, WA, USA
Try one of Jim and Kelly Watt's video series. It is fly-fishing oriented, but it is filmed on the Sol Duc.

#83876 - 12/16/99 06:58 PM Re: Best Steelhead videos?
duntze Offline
Alevin

Loc: port angeles, wa, usa
i wouldn't recommend that particular video on the sol duc, unless you like moldy fish and people fishing to fish on their redds.

#83877 - 12/16/99 08:43 PM Re: Best Steelhead videos?
kore Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Carson, WA
Yea I saw that particular video. Fishing the "sarp seducer" fly on a bunch of spawner males . Doesn't impress me in a fishing video. That guide in that video, is one I have seen out there before(I think) I don't think fishing redds is a good fly fishing technique. Even if it is catch and release.

#83878 - 12/16/99 11:16 PM Re: Best Steelhead videos?
stlhead Offline
River Nutrients

Don't know if you can get them anymore but the old Fishing The West show was probably the best fishing show made for these parts. Especially if you are trying to encourage the wife. The episodes also concentrated alot on the scenery and wildlife. I think Larry Shoenborn still has a fishing shop or two in Oregon.

#83879 - 12/17/99 03:09 AM Re: Best Steelhead videos?
fp Offline
Old Duffer

Loc: Hoquiam,WA.USA
Speaking of the "Fishing The West" TV program, I did a fishing show with Larry Schonborn in 1984 on the West Fork of the Humptulips River. It was the second choice of rivers to shoot that day because the 1st river was rained out so over to the "Hump" for a slight chance to make the film. We got there and it was clear and just beautiful.
So off loaded all the gear and down the river we went. Stopped in the first hole and nailed a 16# buck and released it. Hey, I was releasing the natives way back then. And then we continued down the creek and hooked and landed a few more smaller ones.
It was a real treat to take a camera crew on a day of fishing and to take the pressure off of catching some. There was some real tricks to "see" the rod bouncing when one is biting.
Yes, I believe "Fishing The West" was a great program.
What happened to it?
fp

#83880 - 12/17/99 02:07 PM Re: Best Steelhead videos?
DJ wonderkid  Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Seattle/port angeles Washingto...
Whats this Fred?? A movie star in our own backyard?? *LOL* =)

#83881 - 12/17/99 02:12 PM Re: Best Steelhead videos?
Eric Offline
River Nutrients

fp,

I had wondered the same thing so I did some research awhile back. By the way, I saw your episode way back when.....it was good. The old "fishing the west" shows were good because they did steelhead and salmon shows in places no ones does today-and it was all action, not 15 minutes of commercials and useless info.

Here's what I learned:

Larry went bankrupt with his sporting goods stores and sold the rights to the show. The show continued with the same name for a few years but different ownership. It took on a different look-not necessarily for the better.
Then, fishing the west went off the air totally.

It used to be you could order old episodes but that is no longer the case. I called Larry himself a year ago to enquire about the show and the possibility of buying copies of the old shows. Sadly, some big wig in Portland with a lot of money bought the rights to the old fishing the west shows (about 2-300 in all-I think) and is sitting on them for now. Larry gave me his number and I actually got through to the guy. he said he had no plans to offer copies of the show to the public and might look to run the old episodes (80's -early 90's) in the future but was vague about when or where. He just seemed pleased that he had control of the shows.

I think "america's outdoor journal" is kind of a spin-off of the last fishing the west series but even it does not have near the number of steelhead show the old fishing the west series had.

Now, supposedly, there is a new show called "fishermen's heaven" out of seattle that is oriented to salmon and steelhead fishing that is to begin airing in late december but it is only on "the outdoor channel" which is lame because it is cable only and most smaller cable markets outside of puget sound don't even get the channel.

So here we are with a potentially cool new fishing show in our back yard that most of us can't see! Supposedly, they are looking to expand their market to channels we all get-let's hope so.

Eric

P.S. Fred if you want to e-mail me to talk fish'in- I'm also in Aberdeen. I can give you some of my background.

#83882 - 12/17/99 02:59 PM Re: Best Steelhead videos?
Robbo Offline
Captain Love, Trust Me

Loc: Gig Harbor, WA, USA
They're definitely working on expanding to other channels, but with this being their first year were lucky to land with the Outdoor Channel. They bumped what's-his-nuts from the In-Fisherman and will air for the first time December 27th. If you want to see what a complete idiot I am, check it out, as the first show is one we shot up on the big ditch (and I mean idiot). Check 'em out at www.fishermansheaven.com. Also, Fred and/or Bob, those guys would love to come out and do a show with you guys sometime. You can either call them yourselves or I can line it up for you.

#83883 - 12/17/99 08:09 PM Re: Best Steelhead videos?
Anonymous
Unregistered

OH BOY, I had no idea that a question about steelhead videos would mutate into something mentioning 'Fisherman's Heaven'. But since Robbo brought it up I'll say that it's going to be a great show. Perhaps I'm biased because I'm featured in the 'Dingaling's corner'(or whatever they call it -- one minute home video contributions) in the 'Kings on the Icicle' segment. In the home video, I'm seen tackling a king in about a foot of water. My friend Thriller had been playing a 26lb king on 10lb line for 20 minutes and the sucker just wouldn't allow itself to be beached. Not being very patient to begin with, I got tired of it all and pounced on the fish. The camera gets me staggering to shore with the head and tail hanging out on either side. Touchdown Notre Dame!

Now, onto the real reason for the reply. I, too, have seen some of the FH tape with Robbo. Co-host Mike Wasch lands a 20+ native buck (great underwater shots of the battle, by the way) and then jumps for joy into Robbo's arms. I can understand a moment of shared joy between two grown men . . . but that male embrace seems to linger rather long . . . . Anyway, now that Robbo's married perhaps he's been working through this situation (or at least is off camera). No, seriously, it's worth watching the segment for the look on 6'8" Robbo's face when out of the blue this guy in waders (Mike) launches himself into Robbo's arms. I laughed myself silly.

I'm certain that everyone who's on this board is going to love the show -- great rivers, big fish, no b*ss and two nutcases for hosts (plus some great guides).

Bob probably doesn't need any more business (except for those days when he fakes the blown-out pictures so Fishgal and he can dynamite fish the on their own). But Bob, as public service to your fans who haven't yet fished with you why not guide on one of the episodes. (You could put a 'no hugging' clause into the contract.) Hollywood beckons!

#83884 - 12/17/99 09:44 PM Re: Best Steelhead videos?
Robbo Offline
Captain Love, Trust Me

Loc: Gig Harbor, WA, USA
I guess it was bound to come out sooner or later, at least you didn't mention it at the Blue Oyster when YOU WERE JUST THERE!

Seriously, though, that tackle scene of yours is some of the funniest %$it I've ever seen. That water looked like it was about 3 feet deep, and how did you hang onto that thing. You couldn't have practiced that in Singapore, as any fish down there would've torn your arm off. Out of control.

#83885 - 12/17/99 10:19 PM Re: Best Steelhead videos?
stlhead Offline
River Nutrients

A friend of mine did an episode on the show too. I'm glad to hear about the new show...even though it sounds a little more affectionate than I am used to out fishing...LOL! I sure hope it concentrates more on the surroundings than trying to promote some new lure, rod or whatever. The biggest draw, to me, about Fishing the West was the music with the eagle calling and then it was quite. Just fishing, talking and admiring the surroundings like it should be. Yes they talked fish and technique but it wasn't jazzed up. It was like you were there fishing with them.

#83886 - 12/20/99 03:13 PM Re: Best Steelhead videos?
Extreme Offline
Smolt

Loc: Ridgefield, WA.
Back to "Does anyone know where any good Steelhead Videos are?" For a long time I have been trying to locate the old Jim Conway shows called "The Lucky Jim Show". He had several that were after dif. salmonids and were very interesting. Jim later died driving his car off Cape Horn in our Columbia Gorge. I heard he suffered from depression and partially blamed the poor fish returns for his demise. Anyone know where his old shows are?
X

#83887 - 12/20/99 06:20 PM Re: Best Steelhead videos?
AkBill Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Gadabout Gaddis was my childhood hero.

#83888 - 12/20/99 07:51 PM Re: Best Steelhead videos?
Extreme Offline
Smolt

Loc: Ridgefield, WA.
AkBill, what is a "Gadabout Gaddis"?
X

#83889 - 12/20/99 07:57 PM Re: Best Steelhead videos?
fp Offline
Old Duffer

Loc: Hoquiam,WA.USA
ol'Gadabout, just about the best Bluegill fisherman around. Man, those were the fishing shows. I think I liked Huff&Puff better than Gadabout. More fishing in the Great Pacific Northwest.
AKbill, are we showing our age here?

#83890 - 12/20/99 10:46 PM Re: Best Steelhead videos?
AkBill Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Yeah, fp we're showing our age. I don't think they've shown any Gadabout re-runs lately. I don't remember Huff&Puff though, but maybe they didn't show his show on the Least Coast when I was growing up. Bet he got that name from running down all those kings back then.

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Iwant2fish
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 524 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14489
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63783 Topics
645418 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |