LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#84124 - 12/29/99 12:58 PM What are your favorite fishing hooks to use?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I really like eagle claw but havn't found many stores that carry the kind of eagle claw hooks I like. Do they have a website? or do you know if the Eagle Claw black pearl salmon fishing hooks are good? or what fishing hooks do you use?

Thanks,
BEn

#84125 - 12/29/99 01:30 PM Re: What are your favorite fishing hooks to use?
Brian Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Seattle
Ben the only hooks that I have used that consistanly keep fish on are the Gamakatsu. I have used all kinds of fishing hooks and these babies are definatley the best. I don't think you can buy a sharper hook right out of the package. The last steelie I got I barly set the hook and that baby sunk right into the lower jaw with ease. Tight lines. Good luck!

#84126 - 12/29/99 02:43 PM Re: What are your favorite fishing hooks to use?
DJ wonderkid  Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Seattle/port angeles Washingto...
ANY hook will do that if it is sharp enough... Save your money, get a mustad or bronze Lazer Sharp (eagle claw) and get the hang of sharpening them.. I can get a RAZOR point on my hooks in a matter of 10 seconds MAX... You can't beat $7.50 for a pack of Mustad 2/0's, and I'll be a monkey's uncle if I've ever bent one... I've bent lazer's straight, after some SERIOUS tugging, but NEVER a mustad...

Tom

#84127 - 12/29/99 05:37 PM Re: What are your favorite fishing hooks to use?
Yahoo Offline
Parr

Loc: Hansville ,Wa. U.S.A.
Amen Tom, Mustads all the way. I see my buddies all going out to spend TOO MUCH money on gammys when the Mustad works GREAT. I fish about 150 days a year and absolutely swear by them. By the way, you can get them at SPORTCO ( gods store in my book ) for 4.50 a box ( 50 ) Gammys might be sharp but no hook is sharp enough out of the box, so if you got to sharpen them anyway why not save a bundle of money !!!!!!

#84128 - 12/29/99 08:08 PM Re: What are your favorite fishing hooks to use?
Buster Offline
Fry

Loc: Forks WA
Years ago the Mustad (extra strong special) was the best on the market. They were sharp and strong. Don't know that they make them anymore. But still make good hooks. Maybe not as good as they were. The Gammys are sharp but a little weak like the other folks say. I use a Gammy when plunking, but go for the Mustad when drift fishing.

#84129 - 12/30/99 03:20 AM Re: What are your favorite fishing hooks to use?
Anonymous
Unregistered

That hook is the 9263e mustad. It is still made but nobody carries the dam things. The tackle shops carry the 92553 because they are cheaper and easier to sell. Boulevard Herring use to carry a full line of the 9263e. Sadly Gordy died and his wife has moved away giving the hook business to her son who worked at Boeing. Special order to get the hooks is 2500 dollars....
Anybody know the son?

#84130 - 12/30/99 03:55 AM Re: What are your favorite fishing hooks to use?
DJ wonderkid  Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Seattle/port angeles Washingto...
I think my dad may know Gordy's son... NOT sure though.. I'll check... I know My dad and Gordy used to be pretty good buddies...

Tom

#84131 - 12/30/99 03:16 PM Re: What are your favorite fishing hooks to use?
Jim Bain Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Chehalis, Washington USA
Vision!! Vision!! Vision!! Did I say vision? Don't think there is a better hook on the market...if you would like to try some let me know.

------------------
Jim Bain
Always have Fun while Fishing!!!

#84132 - 12/30/99 09:05 PM Re: What are your favorite fishing hooks to use?
Dan S. Offline
It all boils down to this - I'm right, everyone else is wrong, and anyone who disputes this is clearly a dumbfuck.

Loc: SE Olympia, WA
IMHO,

While I realize you can put a razor point on just about any brand of hook ( Tom, you should check out the diamond shapener Cabela's has for about 5-7 bucks ,it's great. And email me about the rivers up by you) Gammies are still my #1 choice. They are fishable right from the pack, and if you buy them in bulk, they're not that much money.

The test I read in STS a couple years back had Gammies at or near the top in most categories ,ie sharpness, strength, ability to hold a point etc. There were other hooks with similar ratings like Vision and Owner, but what can I say, I usually go with Gammies.

I guess the most important thing is to ALWAYS fish with a sharp hook, whether or not it means whipping out the 'ol file.

Fish on..........

Bon Scott - Shot Down in Flames

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
3Gonads, herm
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
3 registered (Carcassman, Salmo g., 1 invisible), 1070 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13521
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645299 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |