LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#844291 - 06/18/13 11:20 AM Road Trip Wa. thru Idaho, Utah, Arizona,NM,Co,Mo.
fishenfool Offline
Spawner

Loc: DASHPOINT
Will be combination Lake, River Fly Fishing, and scenic stuff with my wife and 2 yorkies. Have 22' trailer and Generator, mountain bikes, fly fish pram and just bought SeaEagle class lV inflatable Kayak. Presently viewing Western States map to come up with a trip plan. Looks like Hway 84 into Utah then I need to research from there. We like scenic private (primitive)camping and of coarse fly fishing. Will end up going thru Montana to get back to Seattle. Planning on a month but that depends on how my back holds out, scheduling surgery after summer.

Any input will be appreciated.

My last major road trip without a plan was the 72 Democratic Convention while in Missoula during college for a 2 month road trip that we got credit for reporting our experience......

#844295 - 06/18/13 12:08 PM Re: Road Trip Wa. thru Idaho, Utah, Arizona,NM,Co,Mo. [Re: fishenfool]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

If you're thinking of doing this during the summer months, I'd question why you have Utah, Arizona, and New Mexico on the list. Too damn hot, and I don't care if it is a "dry heat." I visited Utah and Arizona once in July and learned never to go at that time again. It just isn't fun. Utah in the spring, up to early June at higher elevations is fine, with lots of fishing and hiking possibilities. For the summer months I'd stay farther north, like CO, MT, and ID.

Sg

#844298 - 06/18/13 12:19 PM Re: Road Trip Wa. thru Idaho, Utah, Arizona,NM,Co,Mo. [Re: Salmo g.]
fishenfool Offline
Spawner

Loc: DASHPOINT
I agree with you on the temp, I am retired but my wife is a teacher an we had to wait for her to be off for the summer. I don't like the heat at all, but as long as I have a lake or river I am fine with it. I have not been to Utah, Arizona and NM, this will basically be the scenic take in the tourist stuff an hopefully stay somewhere I can fish while there. I have fished Yellowstone in the past and look forward to that phase of our trip.

#845315 - 06/25/13 07:44 PM Re: Road Trip Wa. thru Idaho, Utah, Arizona,NM,Co,Mo. [Re: ]
AP a.k.a. Kaiser D Offline
Hippie

Loc: B'ham
Interested in this very topic, especially the Yellowstone area. Doing a Montana, Wyoming loop later in the year when temps cool down. If anyone wants to pass along some quieter, primative campsite ideas, I'd appreciate it. The idea of trying to get reservations for a paved cul-de-sac campground rubs me wrong.

#848891 - 07/20/13 10:22 AM Re: Road Trip Wa. thru Idaho, Utah, Arizona,NM,Co,Mo. [Re: ]
Dave Vedder Offline
Reverend Tarpones

Loc: West Duvall
Upper Slough creek still fished well, as the upper meadow is a bit of a hike. What many don't know is that the lowest mile before it dumps into the Lamar is great pocket water. The hike out can be interesting when there are several hundred buffalo in the big meadow between the road and the Lamar.

#848898 - 07/20/13 11:35 AM Re: Road Trip Wa. thru Idaho, Utah, Arizona,NM,Co,Mo. [Re: Dave Vedder]
FleaFlickr02 Offline
River Nutrients

I'm taking a similar route the second half of August, but I'll be lucky to find time to wet a line. I'm planning to sneak off to Gore Creek while we're in Vail. I loved fishing there when I was a kid.... Lots of great fishing along I-70.

Not near enough time to fish on this itinerary. It will be painful crossing all that fabled trout water and only being able to daydream, but I'm still looking forward to seeing all the places I used to ski and fish 30 years ago.

I like your itinerary better. Have fun.

#850236 - 07/30/13 10:10 PM Re: Road Trip Wa. thru Idaho, Utah, Arizona,NM,Co,Mo. [Re: FleaFlickr02]
Speyguy Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Bellingham
Originally Posted By: FleaFlickr02
I'm taking a similar route the second half of August, but I'll be lucky to find time to wet a line. I'm planning to sneak off to Gore Creek while we're in Vail. I loved fishing there when I was a kid.... Lots of great fishing along I-70.

Not near enough time to fish on this itinerary. It will be painful crossing all that fabled trout water and only being able to daydream, but I'm still looking forward to seeing all the places I used to ski and fish 30 years ago.

I like your itinerary better. Have fun.

Frying Pan....Can't remember when the rusty spinner fall is, but I'm thinking late August. Tom

#850560 - 08/02/13 05:14 AM Re: Road Trip Wa. thru Idaho, Utah, Arizona,NM,Co,Mo. [Re: Speyguy]
OceanSun Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: North Creek
Slough creek was crazy good when I fished it 30 yrs ago (summer after high-school) If you missed a strike you could just let your fly drift a few feet further downstream and another 18++ inch cutthroat would take a swipe. Not like some of the super selective cutts in the main yellowstone at the pull outs in the park. Wow, brings back some awesome memories. Rock creek in MT, the green for sure in UT, Popo Agie-Wind-Sweetwater in WY (large browns on hoppers and streamers)

Have fun!!

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Born2Boat, Dirk Mc Girk, Frankster, Oz-fish, starfisher
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 365 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645368 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |