Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#84470 - 01/10/00 04:26 PM What to do?
Kevin Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: seattle,wa
I've strugled for the last few months to try to think like a steelie. Its starting to pay off and I'm starting to hook fish. Heres the problem though, I've hooked several fish in the last two weekends and have lost all of them. I think I'm setting the hook hard enough or maybe not? Just looking for some advice so I can start getting these fish in. Help
Tight lines
Kevin

#84471 - 01/10/00 05:01 PM Re: What to do?
ramstrong Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Glenside, PA USA
What I do when I've hooked a fish, is I set the hook once when I detect the bit, the fish goes nuts initially, then it settles down and I pop it once for good measure. I've had good success with this all of the fish I've hooked this year have been on size 2 hooks and I haven't lost one yet, knock on wood. Those fish have hard heads, RIP em!

Chicks dig the floppy ears.

ramstrong@hotmail.com

#84472 - 01/10/00 05:01 PM Re: What to do?
ramstrong Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Glenside, PA USA
What I do when I've hooked a fish, is I set the hook once when I detect the bite, the fish goes nuts initially, then it settles down and I pop it once for good measure. I've had good success with this all of the fish I've hooked this year have been on size 2 hooks and I haven't lost one yet, knock on wood. Those fish have hard heads, RIP em!

Chicks dig the floppy ears.

ramstrong@hotmail.com

#84473 - 01/10/00 05:24 PM Re: What to do?
obsessed Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Seattle, WA, USA
I can't think of a single season I've fished where I haven't gone through such a period. Every time I land 5 in a row and think I'm the man of steel(head), I lose 5 and look to take Steelheading 101. Some observations:

- Landing fish and losing fish seem to come in bunches for me, so it may be a period where the fish are being very agressive--traveling a few feet to pick something up and traveling back, practically hooking themselves, vs. periods where the fish just mouth something that swings past them, so the entire impetus to hook the fish is on you. Not a whole lot you can do but be especially alert.

- My hook to land is about 80 percent under floats and more like 50 percent drift fishing. Under floats you hook the fish in the top jaw where its harder to shake. I tend to switch over and fish float water when I'm in a slump.

- I have found that my hook to land ratio increased by going to a smaller hook. In most circumstances now I use a size 2. I don't have a whistling hook set so I don't think I was getting good hook penetration with a size 1 or 1/0.

- With the amount of float fishing I do as well as using smaller hooks, I've gravitated toward longer rods (9.5-10')that seem to lessen the impact of head shakes and runs. Also allows you to pick up more line when setting the hook.

Best thing to do is consider it all a part of the game. There isn't a better feeling than to land one (and the preceding fight) after you've lost your last several.

#84474 - 01/10/00 06:04 PM Re: What to do?
DJ wonderkid  Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Seattle/port angeles Washingto...
One word of advice, When drift fishing, if water permits, try using a Sliding weight... You'll feel the fish quicker, harder, and when you ram that hook, you are tugging right on the line, not having to pull the lead with it. About the best advice I can give you, is if you detect a bite, RAM the hook into whatever it is... Sharp hooks will do you nothing but favors too! I've lost many fish using dull hooks. Just my .02

Tom

#84475 - 01/10/00 06:56 PM Re: What to do?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Tom is right sharp hooks is important. I also always use double hooks..most hookups are in the corner of the mouth,unless the bite comes while my gear is tailing out.

------------------
Marty
www.steelheader.net
marty@steelheader.net

#84476 - 01/10/00 10:30 PM Re: What to do?
stlhead Offline
River Nutrients

Are you setting the hook and then dropping the rod forward afterwards? This is the most common error I see. It slacks the line and pops the hook out. Also, set your drag semi tight to set the hook without line spinning off. Thumbing to me on hook sets is just room for error. Try to keep most of the slack out of your drift but sometimes the way they hit you just have to set that hook putting your rod tip almost to the water or rocks, etc behind you to pick up the slack. Then reel down on him, without dropping the rod forward, to get the slack and either loosen the drag or start thumbing. But this is more for those stunned winter fish...summer run are a whole different ball game. A big summer run...keep your drag loose , set the hook hard and quick and then hold on and watch the show!

#84477 - 01/11/00 01:29 AM Re: What to do?
IronFisherman Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Silverdale, Washington, U.S.
You don't need a secret approach to hooking steelhead. When you feel the take just yank up on the rod. If your fishing fast water like the Lyre you don't want to use a sliding weight. Usually after you set the hook the fish jumps, driving the hook home. I know Tom has seen Lyre steelhead do this.

#84478 - 01/11/00 02:06 AM Re: What to do?
kore Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Carson, WA
Sharp hooks...Use a 1/0 single, or double setup with smaller singles, or use a single with a small treble trailer. Size down for summer or ultra clear. For releasing it helps to have the treble barbless. And of course only Single barbless in restriction zones. Gamakatsu makes a "out of the box" barbless hook with a little more bend than standard octopus hooks, this helps keep the fish on. good luck
--mike korenko

#84479 - 01/11/00 03:51 AM Re: What to do?
DJ wonderkid  Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Seattle/port angeles Washingto...
Iron,

Boy are you right I've seen this happen a time or two on the lyre!!! Try a 20+ lb summer run in the canyon.. *LOL* =)

Some of the water on the lyre is just too fast to use a slider, but there is also some of the water that I wouldn't want to use anything but... A lot of people look at me like I'm nuts using a single 2/0, but I'll tell you, I wouldn't want it any other way! I've hooked cutthroat deep with 2/0's before, so I know a steelie isn't going to have any trouble getting it into their mouth, they are a stronger hook, and when I sink that point into a fishes jaw, with MY hookset, the fish usually doesn't get away =)

Tom

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Iwant2fish
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 495 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14489
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63783 Topics
645418 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |