LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#856332 - 09/09/13 12:05 AM pics from the elk woods.
steeliedrew Offline
SRC Poser

Loc: Snohomish
Me and addicted2fish bombed down to the elk woods Friday night and got an early start Saturday morning. we got on some sign and followed it down the gnarliest hill I've ever been on in terms of steepness. We ended up dropping an easy 2,000 ft in elevation into a creek bottom following nothing but elk trails. That's 2,000 ft in less 2 miles. Very steep. the terrain was so steep that it was literally hand over fist on the way out.

Here's a pic of addicted2fish holding onto the hill on the way back up:

we didn't hear any bulls bugling at night or on the morning and was just too hot during the day I think. we did try a few cow calls here and there just in case though. we found the remains of a cow and a bull down in the creek bottom.

here's a pic of the kind of torn up trails we were on. And no, this is not a well traveled hiking trail. This is looking up at the trail leading up hill from the creek. it's an elk highway!

We saw two small herds on the way to our area on Friday. The pic below was taken through my binoculars at 500+ yards. We were driving down the highway when I spotted some elk butts way up in a clearcut. turned out to be 5 cows with a couple calves. there was no way for us to get to them but cool to watch non disturbed elk doing their thing. terrible pic but did what I could.

we were both really surprised we didn't at least bump some animals. we were on tons of sign the whole way into the creek bottom and FAR from any other people. We went straight beast mode for the day. Neither of us have a GPS yet so we took a baring at the top of the hill and tied a strip of surveyors tape to a tree. Using nothing but a compass, we got to the creek bottom and back up to the same tree we tied the surveyors tape on. For being the first time either of us had done this, we're glad we weren't incompetent. haha.

We found an alder patch on a bench that was completely torn up. it had what looked like the makings of a wallow once bulls start to frequent the area. The trees were destroyed and literally...no joke...there must be HUNDREDS of rubs on big trees on this bench.

All in all a fun trip. Today we hunted some easier stuff in a familiar unit on the way home. Didn't find anything today. Weekend warrior elk hunts are HARD!!!

Edited by steeliedrew (09/09/13 12:08 AM)

"Dude...where's your boat!?" Team runaway drift boat prostaff.

Big Stick 2012: "EVERY thought of my being, is in regards to being a Hi-Tech Predator and I relish the role."

#856365 - 09/09/13 08:24 AM Re: pics from the elk woods. [Re: steeliedrew]
Jerry Garcia Offline

Loc: everett
Neither of us have a GPS yet so we took a baring at the top of the hill and tied a strip of surveyors tape to a tree. Using nothing but a compass, we got to the creek bottom and back up to the same tree we tied the surveyors tape on. For being the first time either of us had done this, we're glad we weren't incompetent. haha.

Good job but get the GPS. The world will look completely different when that area is covered in ground hugging clouds.

Growing old ain't for wimps
Lonnie Gane

#856369 - 09/09/13 09:41 AM Re: pics from the elk woods. [Re: Jerry Garcia]
steeliedrew Offline
SRC Poser

Oh I know it. It's at the top of my list. At least a back track device for now. me and my hunting partners are looking into the Gamin Rinos. That way we can communicate out there if we split up for different hunts to cover ground. Pricey suckers but I don't feel like you can put a price on making it home after a weekend in some straight up wilderness.

Big Stick 2012: "EVERY thought of my being, is in regards to being a Hi-Tech Predator and I relish the role."

#856503 - 09/09/13 09:00 PM Re: pics from the elk woods. [Re: ]
YBD
Unregistered

Would have been a fun pack out had you scored!

#856631 - 09/10/13 04:17 PM Re: pics from the elk woods. [Re: ]
steeliedrew Offline
SRC Poser

chuck,

Only problem with that is that where we were there is absolutely no cell service.

#856680 - 09/10/13 09:10 PM Re: pics from the elk woods. [Re: steeliedrew]
YBD
Unregistered

I want a Rhino bad. Maybe find a good deal after season.

#856787 - 09/11/13 02:36 PM Re: pics from the elk woods. [Re: ]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
Drew, you don't need cell service to use a GPS app...it's satellite. You'll need cell service to download it to your phone, of course, but after that it's good to go anywhere.

Fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#856826 - 09/11/13 07:46 PM Re: pics from the elk woods. [Re: steeliedrew]
AP a.k.a. Kaiser D Offline
Hippie

Loc: B'ham
Originally Posted By: steeliedrew

I don't care what anyone says, this site has the best moon photos!

#856832 - 09/11/13 08:30 PM Re: pics from the elk woods. [Re: AP a.k.a. Kaiser D]
YBD
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: AP a.k.a. Kaiser D
Originally Posted By: steeliedrew

I don't care what anyone says, this site has the best moon photos!

Fact.

Moderator:  Bob, Jerry Garcia, ReiterRat, Sky-Guy 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Don Wakefield, donwakefield, Monaghan, wntrrn
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 224 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14489
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63783 Topics
645430 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |