THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#858141 - 09/19/13 12:10 PM Re: Who knew? Flossing is legal in California [Re: Nathan29]
YBD
Unregistered

Sigh...

#858144 - 09/19/13 12:20 PM Re: Who knew? Flossing is legal in California [Re: tooshort]
YBD
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: tooshort
best lawyer in world could not prove flossed fish..oh ask the fish what happened duh

Offdaboat, it doesn't take OJ's Dream Team to prove you flossed a fish when you're using 20' leaders and on your 8th hookset you bring in a fish with a hook in it's mouth. Do us all a favor and just KYS.

Edited by YBD (09/19/13 12:22 PM)

#858421 - 09/21/13 12:53 PM Re: Who knew? Flossing is legal in California [Re: ]
J-D Offline
Fry

Lol you guys so funny on here
I guess drift fishing period should be illegal
Cause To be honest you can't help but floss fish with drift gear
If your doing it right

Leader can be 3 foot
Still gonna floss some

Simple stuff really

In the mouth it goes home????

#858425 - 09/21/13 01:16 PM Re: Who knew? Flossing is legal in California [Re: J-D]
Direct-Drive Offline
ExtenZe Field Tester

Loc: Vancouver, WA
From the Flosser's Manifesto.....

Originally Posted By: J-D
Lol you guys so funny on here
I guess drift fishing period should be illegal
Cause To be honest you can't help but floss fish with drift gear
If your doing it right

Leader can be 3 foot
Still gonna floss some

Simple stuff really

In the mouth it goes home????

#858444 - 09/21/13 03:57 PM Re: Who knew? Flossing is legal in California [Re: Direct-Drive]
YBD
Unregistered

You can floss a fish with about any tactic under the sun. The point is whether on not that is your objective. I guy using a 3' leader is making an effort and is far more likely to not floss a fish than your buddy with the 20' leader is. How the hell people don't get the difference is beyond me. Some people's kids.

Edited by YBD (09/21/13 04:01 PM)

#858475 - 09/21/13 06:28 PM Re: Who knew? Flossing is legal in California [Re: Nathan29]
Blktailhunter Offline
Returning Adult

Got another email last week from the Lt. in charge of Caltip. Looks like Cali might be addressing the flossing situation. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Hi Mr. XXXXXXXXX, I thought of your question the other day after I had heard some news. The Department is currently working on several new regulations to be proposed to the Fish and Game Commission (not sure when). One of these proposed regulation changes would to specifically target “flossing”. I’m not sure what the regulation wording will be, but I believe it would be a gear regulation that would specifically prohibit the use of extra-long leaders.

Currently as you stated the regulation reads the fish must voluntarily take the hook into its mouth. Unfortunately with our current regulations it is very difficult to prove involuntary take from “flossing” in a court room.

Mike

Lieutenant Michael Milotz
Department of Fish and Wildlife
Law Enforcement Division
CalTIP Coordinator
1416 9th Street, Room 1326
Sacramento, CA. 95814

1-888-334-CalTIP – 24 hour Poaching/Polluting Hotline

#858734 - 09/23/13 11:03 AM Re: Who knew? Flossing is legal in California [Re: Blktailhunter]
Tillanook Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Oregon
I like driftfishing the bead. I use a 3 ft leader with the bead pegged 1 to 2 inches above the hook. I do hook most of my fish in the mouth with this method. Occasionally I do hook some fish from the outside of the jaw in. What I've noticed though is that the hook will be in the side of the jaw (from the outside in) that is closest to the bank I'm fishing from.

In order for this to happen the fish would have had to be facing downstream. Which tells me the fish turned downriver chasing and then biting the bead and getting the hook pegged in its jaw.

There are flossers and there are people using very small presentations but they are not one in the same.

#858761 - 09/23/13 02:38 PM Re: Who knew? Flossing is legal in California [Re: Tillanook]
gooybob Offline
Spawner

Loc: Tacoma
I know guys who use beads to side drift and they catch fish. There is no way that the fish are being flossed but....there are the guys that just can't get it right the legal way so flossing is the only way they will get a fish to the bank. Also the "pegged bead" method with fly fisherman works without flossing. I know some fly fisherman have been accused of flossing with that technique but again, the fish do actually hit the bead. I fish it with a floating line mended with the bead heading straight down stream on and an indicator, and sometimes as a trailer behind a fly. If you ever get a chance to fly fish for feeding trout with beads behind spawning salmon do it. It’s a blast. I’ve watched the trout swim right up to the bead and take it. I don't get why people want to floss/snag. How could anyone think it's a good thing?

#858762 - 09/23/13 02:54 PM Re: Who knew? Flossing is legal in California [Re: gooybob]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
People who can't get a fish to actually bite clearly think it's a good idea or they wouldn't do it so much. The fact that you may not get busted for it because the cops can't prove you were snagging doesn't all of a sudden turn you into a fisherman...you're still a snagger.

Fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#858772 - 09/23/13 03:58 PM Re: Who knew? Flossing is legal in California [Re: Todd]
FleaFlickr02 Offline
River Nutrients

Most of these folks would do well to fish for salmon with a spinner, just once. That moment when your spinner stops running for just that split second before the fish decides to eat and turn on it is one of my favorite in all types of fishing. Right up there with flossing one up on a Spey rod (nice troll, Slab).

#858958 - 09/24/13 01:23 PM Re: Who knew? Flossing is legal in California [Re: FleaFlickr02]
gooybob Offline
Spawner

Loc: Tacoma
Ah yes. There really is nothing like a slab pounding a spinner!

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
BigRedHead, Gene, Milton Fisher, Selther, SpinyRayLover
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 942 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645372 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |