Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#860955 - 10/04/13 06:10 AM Looking for Abu Ultra mag XL IV, V, VI
Oz-fish Offline
Eyed Egg

Loc: South Australia
Hi all from down under.

Trying to track down the larger mid eighties Ultra mag Abu's for sale - not to collect in a cabinet, to use, so not looking for perfect. Just straight and fair.

Can't afford perfect anyway.... blush

#860959 - 10/04/13 09:08 AM Re: Looking for Abu Ultra mag XL IV, V, VI [Re: Oz-fish]
Direct-Drive Offline
ExtenZe Field Tester

Loc: Vancouver, WA
Welcome to PP, mate !

To find reels of that vintage your best bet would be Ebay.
There are several on there right now.
Vet those sellers.

Good luck !

#861152 - 10/05/13 02:28 AM Re: Looking for Abu Ultra mag XL IV, V, VI [Re: Direct-Drive]
Oz-fish Offline
Eyed Egg

Thank you for the welcome.

Just never know, if you ask politely sometimes nice things happen. beer

#861155 - 10/05/13 08:20 AM Re: Looking for Abu Ultra mag XL IV, V, VI [Re: Oz-fish]
Jerry Garcia Offline

Loc: everett
Originally Posted By: Oz-fish

I don't detect an accent, you write well for an Oz-wellian. Retired pro fisherman ? Tell us about your fisheries. And welcome.

Edited by Jerry Garcia (10/05/13 08:21 AM)

Growing old ain't for wimps
Lonnie Gane

#861210 - 10/05/13 08:32 PM Re: Looking for Abu Ultra mag XL IV, V, VI [Re: Jerry Garcia]
Direct-Drive Offline
ExtenZe Field Tester

Originally Posted By: Jerry Garcia

I don't detect an accent, you write well for an Oz-wellian. Retired pro fisherman ? Tell us about your fisheries. And welcome.

I think that they ride sharks the way we ride broncos.
Not sure where the reel comes in.

#863846 - 10/20/13 04:16 AM Re: Looking for Abu Ultra mag XL IV, V, VI [Re: Jerry Garcia]
Oz-fish Offline
Eyed Egg

O.K. then. Well as far as fishing is concerned it is probably not much different than anywhere I guess. Fish are fish. And fishing tales are universal too I think.... fishy

I was mostly a crab fisherman. So if you think deadliest Catch, but without the icebergs or the freezing water temperature or the big boats or the big money - you would be getting close. Sort of.

Thing is I know exactly what they are doing - there is no difference at all in how you find them and how you set your gear. Would quite happily have jumped on board and got into it - except for being probably too old for deck work now so doubt they would not have been interested - it's a young blokes game and I'm quite happy to watch from the cabin. Nursing a crook shoulder so no chance or desire to go back on the deck. But the operations are the same as far as how you run a boat or run a crew. Those things are universal as far as I can see.

Most of the crabs in my area are either the blue crab you would be familiar with or variations of sand crab you tend to find along surf beaches perhaps. My rig was a 20 odd foot heavy built plate alloy with hydraulic pump and pot winch on an arm - it's an inshore fishery based on large areas of tidal sand flats in mostly protected waters, although there are plenty of unprotected areas I used to work hard from time to time. It's small single operator stuff mostly - although there is a significant quota trap fishery using 60 to 80 foot long boats out in the centre of local Gulfs out of reach of smaller vessels.

My marine scale license granted me access to several species from your basic mullet types, squids, several table fish of various quality and popularity right up to sharks and rays.

No we don't ride sharks, that would just be silly.
The saddles fall off and it's hard to keep the leather shiny in salt water.

We wrestle them wearing nothing but goggles and gloves. Wouldn't want to get into trouble with OHS with scratched hands now would we?? stir

Anyway. Today I tossed the tinny in (that's any aluminium boat under 30 foot to an aussie) with the missus and a handful of (relatively) fresh squid and headed out into our local bay(s) for a fish right on sunrise. Must have been early, second car at the ramp. Glorious morning - mirror calm as far as you could see. Pretty rubbish for fishing as the fish can see us before we even get there - but after doing it for a living my attitude now is who cares when its like that? Half a dozen squid and a few undersize everything else and we decided to go for a troll. Few tommies (pretty much a herring) later and a very enjoyable putter along just looking at the odd sea eagle (Southern Osprey) and shag (cormorant) as we dribble past. Actually not much action for most of the morning, so as a wind change is due we head over to a nearby island for a fish. No better bait fishing than earlier so we decide to troll around a point now the tides rushing in before heading home and Bang - missus hooks into a screamer Aussie Salmon (not a pacific salmon or an atlantic salmon - a completely Ozzie salt water species (arripis trutta etc. if you want to look it up) growing to possibly 12 - 14 pound but rarely caught over 8 normally. 10 pound is something to really boast about.) Big enough to take ten minutes of fighting to get into the boat - yeah!

Wife says that's what I want, get another one and we'll bake 'em. Crikey, you beauty - I'm into the missus getting into it if you get what I mean. Bonus points for later in the week I'm thinking.... wink

We had a ball eventually boating eight, none under 6 pound. With two hooked up the tinny was getting skull dragged backwards - not bad for fish only 60 odd centimetres long, these things absolutely hammer! Brilliant sport fish, big jumps out the water, the whole performance.

Ahh, life is good.

They are not seen as a good table fish by many, but I think that is as silly as saying you only ever eat prime sirloin. They fillet alright, baked they are great, but correctly smoked they are sublime - fresh though they must always be, they don't keep well. If I am to freeze them I will make them into patties with egg, rice flour, mint and mushy peas then crumb the patties before wrapping them well. If fillets I'd dip them in malt vinegar, then flour and crumb them before freezing. Then they keep quite well.

Interesting point is the reels used today. My wonderful Certate 2500R Custom, the wife's Okuma spin whatsit, one Ultra Mag XL Plus and one Ultra Mag XL II.

The big fish were caught on the Daiwa Custom, and the XL II. Those '80's Abu's are still hard to top for practical casting ability - and that is why I now try and find them. I reckon I have to get a few together now before they end up wasted in museums or in glass cases so I have parts and can fish them for another 25 plus years.

I did find one Ultra Mag XL VI on Ebay - landed here in Oz for under $90. But I admit to being fairly twitchy when looking at the same thing offered for three times that price, or more..... I have had some really good reels through a couple of forums - probably because I am not just buying to hide them away, nor to re-sell anything. If I buy a reel it's going to get used just as designed. And it's going to get serviced silly so I can use it in the salt water.

Persistence pays when fishing - whether for fish or fishing gear doesn't matter.

Hope I don't bore you with antipodean meanderings - and thank you for the attention.

Hoo roo for now.

#863857 - 10/20/13 10:42 AM Re: Looking for Abu Ultra mag XL IV, V, VI [Re: Oz-fish]
Jerry Garcia Offline

That was very enjoyable, Thanks.

Lonnie Gane

#864163 - 10/21/13 08:54 PM Re: Looking for Abu Ultra mag XL IV, V, VI [Re: Jerry Garcia]
Paul Smenis Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: In a drift boat...
Hope you find what you're looking for, welcome and a bump for you.
Thanks for sharing. Cheers,

Tyler

#864467 - 10/23/13 12:18 PM Re: Looking for Abu Ultra mag XL IV, V, VI [Re: Paul Smenis]
AP a.k.a. Kaiser D Offline
Hippie

Loc: B'ham
Great post, Oz-fish. I'm always interesting to hear about "other" fisheries and particularly interesting to hear about what you called the "Australian Salmon". From Wiki, some of the alternate names such as "cocky salmon" and "three kings" are great.

We could use about a dozen more of you on this board!

#864475 - 10/23/13 02:41 PM Re: Looking for Abu Ultra mag XL IV, V, VI [Re: AP a.k.a. Kaiser D]
Direct-Drive Offline
ExtenZe Field Tester

Great post.
Stay in touch.

#866644 - 11/03/13 01:12 AM Re: Looking for Abu Ultra mag XL IV, V, VI [Re: ]
Oz-fish Offline
Eyed Egg

What sort of fishing tales would you like?

Australia is a very big place, there is every sort of fishery imaginable.

I don't do fresh water much - I'm in the driest state in the driest continent so most of my experience is in salty stuff.

I know a bit about most Oz fisheries, but I'm only experienced in the southern ones.

I have done a lot of hard lure fishing - from little metal spoon thingies up to large articulated wobbly whatsits, and most every squid jig known to the buying public over the last fourty years.....

I need to work out how to post images, and then we can do some serious culural exchange.

Cheers for now.

#866659 - 11/03/13 09:57 AM Re: Looking for Abu Ultra mag XL IV, V, VI [Re: Oz-fish]
Jerry Garcia Offline

Lots of salty fishermen on here. Some great hard lure salt fising off the Washington coast. When out halibut fishing(short season) I use a white 8 oz Point Wilson dart, herring pattern. One 3 day trip we counted 31 different species caught.

Lonnie Gane

#876212 - 12/20/13 12:19 AM Re: Looking for Abu Ultra mag XL IV, V, VI [Re: Jerry Garcia]
Oz-fish Offline
Eyed Egg

This time of year around here we get a lot of snapper moving along our coast. These are often accessed by boat but with thought they can be caught from land near deepish water - although as little as 3 metres is quite enough when they are properly on the chew.

I brought yet another reel, a georgeous little Penn Squall 12 - I have enough reels now that the wife only ever sees a few at a time to avoid awkward questions. It was a glassy evening so I decided to go out and have a fling, didn't expect a fish as it was dead low tide and just a bit too late besides, but what the heck.

Looked like this when I arrived.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zvu3nfdxrzu1knh/2013-12-17%2020.40.29.jpg

I'm aiming out into a slot in the reef I'm climbing down to that's about 20 feet wide and goes out about 150 yards or more. This shows the other side of the slot, that low rock is the opposite edge. The slot runs pretty much across and out to the left.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ztrgj2zc708g8sm/2013-12-17%2020.57.15.jpg

I'm casting out just to the right of this, pretty much the right edge of this image - you can see why I don't care if I catch a fish or not...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/uevyunpnmiqn46w/2013-12-17%2020.59.43.jpg

Managed to belt out 4oz a little less than 120 metres by the 6th attempt - missed a couple of good bites while fiddling with my camera phone so not focussed well enough.... Reel is spooled with 160 metres of 28 lb mono, and I am using a modified 11' Daiwa Seajigger. Simple heave out, no pendulum or off the ground so all in all a very good first play. Very controllable reel, lots of braking adjustment and utterly useable in darkness, easily felt the splash down and had the reel crowning perfectly - most impressed with it indeed! I expect to be able to spool it with a power cast on a serious rod. shocked

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2jinw0qha8av4gj/2013-12-17%2021.15.16.jpg

Then I remembered the tide had turned - got out of there with dry feet but only after a scramble. blush

https://www.dropbox.com/s/sbet83ewjmonnmv/2013-12-17%2021.08.19.jpg

No fish, but too good an evening to be in front of the TV.

Next time I'll be here a couple hours before dawn, then it'll be 2 metres deeper and I'll be in hunting mode.... fishy

Edited by Oz-fish (12/20/13 04:13 AM)
Edit Reason: added to image description.

#876231 - 12/20/13 06:04 AM Re: Looking for Abu Ultra mag XL IV, V, VI [Re: Oz-fish]
Direct-Drive Offline
ExtenZe Field Tester

I have enough reels now that the wife only ever sees a few at a time to avoid awkward questions.

rofl

I use the same method, especially with the AR15s.
Now that would be an awkward situation.

Nice pics, Oz.
Good luck on the next foray !

#895770 - 05/21/14 11:19 AM Re: Looking for Abu Ultra mag XL IV, V, VI [Re: Direct-Drive]
Oz-fish Offline
Eyed Egg

Thought I would subject you to some further musings from the Antipodes.

Mother's Day, I am fortunate, first I married a Chef, secondly she is as keen a fisher as myself, well nearly. So having been ordered to take her fishing we indulged in a most relaxing afternoon.

https://www.dropbox.com/sc/t4a0hfc5qkjka4y/AADkcICbJTh26nTBkQm97531a

https://www.dropbox.com/sc/ygwqlsmt4c63a4i/AADp5FF-jzLWks0K_pzz7Hqwa

Bit ugly wasn't it. Had a great time playing with some rat salmon to maybe three pounds, light gear and one of the hardest fighting fish for it's weight meant it took up to ten minutes to boat some of these.

https://www.dropbox.com/sc/xw1opi2x0cu34hy/AABxpu-dcKzaaqQWcos5QfpMa

Happy wife, Happy life...

https://www.dropbox.com/sc/fp268s4ahbzvwlf/AADcwBlUeT7ztOglj-w5aAsXa

A good catch, we released many more.

https://www.dropbox.com/sc/yr81bmo1hn4a64c/AACiG6zLOBO5kGcrgiiiK0vWa

Split, brined and sugared I cold smoked them for 13 hours. Yum!

Used a basic 3000 size spon reel on a light eight foot rod for the missus, I used a six foot ugly stick with a trusty Abu Ultra Mag II. Ah, it's a rough life when the wife insists you take her fishing, isn't it.

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
captainchris
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1383 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14489
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63783 Topics
645416 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |