LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#864546 - 10/23/13 11:01 PM Willl Coho Take On The Swing?
RUNnGUN Offline
Repeat Spawner

Have done no research but wondering if Coho will take a fly on the typical swing, like Steelhead? Have fished lots of dead water Coho in AK. getting takes mostly with a fast strip. Have been wanting to hang up the gear and try some local Coho on the Fly, staying away from indicator methods. Have tried a little with the Spey Rod and sink tips that I use for Steelhead with no success, and know I'm swinging through fish. Any thoughts to boost my confidence?

#864553 - 10/23/13 11:40 PM Re: Willl Coho Take On The Swing? [Re: RUNnGUN]
ColeyG Offline
Ranger Danger

Loc: AK
Absolutely! As you point out, finding the right water where you can actually swing to them is a big piece of the puzzle.

It's no secret that coho love the frog water but they will often hold close to the head of those pools and on the outer seams where the frog water meets the main flow and if you can use the current above and outside to swing your fly into their preferred holding zone, coho will typically respond quite well assuming they are relatively unpressured and you are swinging something they want, etc.

Another way I target them swinging flies is to find some good swinging water where I know they will be moving through, though they may not be holding there. I have a few spots on local rivers that I know the fish always travel in although they never tend to stack up there. If you can prospect such fish traps and funnels where you know you will be fishing to moving fish in current that offers a reasonable chance of a decent presentation, again you'll be stacking the odds in your favor.

I've caught a fair number of coho swinging flies for trout in water that you would never think a coho would be hanging out it, e.g fast riffles and fairly shallow water, mainly because they were on the move and had to move through the spots somehow.

Like any other salmon fishing, first fish to greater numbers of fish, second figure out a way to get good gear properly presented and you'll get them. I am a firm believer in the notion that when salmon are present in any numbers, you tend to see them.

As for tackle, I've had the best luck (when actually targeting coho) with pink flashy stuff. Bulky marabou and rabbit with plenty of flash seem to do the trick just fine although I've probably caught just as many on the Dolly Lama.

Best of luck!

EZ Thread Yarn Balls

"I don't care how you catch them, as long as you treat them well and with respect." Lani Waller in "A Steelheader's Way."

#864562 - 10/24/13 12:13 AM Re: Willl Coho Take On The Swing? [Re: ColeyG]
FleaFlickr02 Offline
River Nutrients

As Coley said (go figure), it's about finding the right water, but when you do, swinging is very effective for coho. I still lament the loss of my honey hole on the Lower Satsop, where I used to do better than most of the gear guys swinging marabous through the flat. That spot was one in a million. But anyway... You'll have your best success on fresh fish that are just moving into shallow-mid-depth flats, and occasionally in riffles. You definitely want to start out the way you do for steelhead ( get the fly down to the fish), but during the swing, an erratic twitch or 20 doesn't seem to hurt. I get most takes either right as the swing starts or while stripping in on the hang-down.

Another presentation that can be good is to cast up and across, put a downstream mend in your line, and then strip it through a downstream swing. Sometimes, they crush that. Just keep in mind that coho like to chase things. Sometimes, the fastest, spookiest presentation you can muster is what they want (or at least what triggers a striking reflex in their gloriously tiny brains).

#864594 - 10/24/13 11:10 AM Re: Willl Coho Take On The Swing? [Re: FleaFlickr02]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
Sure they do...especially with the popular fly known as the "Dick Nite" ;-)

Fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#864606 - 10/24/13 12:37 PM Re: Willl Coho Take On The Swing? [Re: Todd]
stonefish Online   content
King of the Beach

Loc: Carkeek Park
ColeyG and FF2 nailed it.

#864614 - 10/24/13 01:38 PM Re: Willl Coho Take On The Swing? [Re: stonefish]
ColeyG Offline
Ranger Danger

Loc: AK
When fished on the fly rod, it is called "the dirty dick" Todd.

smile

EZ Thread Yarn Balls

"I don't care how you catch them, as long as you treat them well and with respect." Lani Waller in "A Steelheader's Way."

#864625 - 10/24/13 02:49 PM Re: Willl Coho Take On The Swing? [Re: ColeyG]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

I will remember that...thanks!

Fish on...

Todd

#864655 - 10/24/13 04:44 PM Re: Willl Coho Take On The Swing? [Re: Todd]
FleaFlickr02 Offline
River Nutrients

"I'm gonna give the dirty Dick a try this weekend" is NOT what you want to say to your fishing buddies over a beer. Save that for the Spey clave....

#864676 - 10/24/13 07:53 PM Re: Willl Coho Take On The Swing? [Re: Todd]
AP a.k.a. Kaiser D Offline
Hippie

Loc: B'ham
Originally Posted By: Todd
I will remember that...thanks!

You should.

It's a good tip.

#864737 - 10/25/13 11:05 AM Re: Willl Coho Take On The Swing? [Re: AP a.k.a. Kaiser D]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Indeed!

Fish on...

Todd

#875181 - 12/15/13 01:05 AM Re: Willl Coho Take On The Swing? [Re: AP a.k.a. Kaiser D]
fred evans Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: White City, Oregon
Only fish on the upper Rogue River that's totally defeated me vis a vis a hook up. Lock Jaw time.

#876003 - 12/19/13 12:00 AM Re: Willl Coho Take On The Swing? [Re: fred evans]
swingfisher Offline
Smolt

they will. results may vary year to year on given runs. ie sometimes some years x river fish are stupid and do it easy. next year maybe not. try twitching the fly as it swings when it gets tough. and always bet on pink. good luck.

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
3Gonads, herm
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
2 registered (steely slammer, stonefish), 1099 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13520
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645297 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |