Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#87508 - 03/05/00 06:06 PM Another etiquette question
Anonymous
Unregistered

While fishing from a driftboat on a popular SW Washing river over the weekend an interesting situation arose. We had finally found a slot that had produced a couple of hookups and fished it for about 30 minutes. We wanted to row back up to the head of the hole and run plugs through it on the way out. We noticed a couple of other drift boats coming and decided to continue side drifting while waiting for them to pass. Both boats stopped above us and they appeared to be waiting for us to move out.

My partner and I began to feel uncomfortable about being pressured to move on before we were convinced that this hole held no more willing fish. Is there a "limit" on how much time or an unwritten rule concerning how long you should spend on a paricular hole or drift? Is it right to try to intimidate another boat to move out before it is ready?
Keep in mind that this was a really slow day with very few fish being caught. Thanks in advance for your input!......DB

#87509 - 03/05/00 09:23 PM Re: Another etiquette question
grumpyr Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Orygun
Did you try to ask the following boats what thier intentions were? Most problems on the river could be avoided by calm and rational comunication.Whenever I am able to start a conversation it usualy results in some benifit to both parties.
Worth a try?
GRUMPYR

"I reject your reality and substitute my own"

#87510 - 03/05/00 10:31 PM Re: Another etiquette question
SUMRRUN Offline
Fry

Tough one. How far back up river were you planning on rowing? How long was the slot, 50 yds.? 100 yds.? 200 yds.? Were you at the bottom of the slot? Middle? Lots of things to consider. You were there first but who is to say how many times a boat can work a slot while another boat is waiting to work that same slot? I agree with Grumpyr, we need to communicate more to avoid situations like the gun incident in Forks. If we let each other know what our intentions are then it not only makes for a nice day on the water, it could lead to more "friends" on the water rather than "idiots".

#87511 - 03/08/00 01:24 AM Re: Another etiquette question
Gutt'n Fish Offline
Eyed Egg

Loc: Olympia,Washington,USA
Where does this Guy get off, you should mind your own business, don't be be a river bum, if it is slow move on...... jerk

#87512 - 03/08/00 08:12 PM Re: Another etiquette question
Ron Bob Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Carnation, wa
When I'm the boat in the rear i just leap frog around you. chances are you got there first and there are more holes down river. Especially if you have already pounded it. Or I'll wait till your done. Any river rat would give you the courtesy of finishing up any way you want.

The last guy sounds like one of those guys from the cowlits who dosen't care about anyone one or anybody but them selves.

#87513 - 03/08/00 09:07 PM Re: Another etiquette question
SUMRRUN Offline
Fry

You're right, that last guy sounds just like the Cowlitz guys. He's never heard of "Do unto others as you would have others do unto you".

#87514 - 03/09/00 02:56 PM Re: Another etiquette question
kalamabama Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: LaCenter Wa USA
First water is great but it is not the only water that will produce fish.I have allways respected the rights of the folks ahead of me but when you have 3 or 4 boats putting in at dark thirty at the same ramp some give and take is a must. If you find a good slot to fish and want to stay on it to fish abit more wave the boats behind you by. Hopefully they will pick up there oars and pass with out splashing up your water. I have found that if you ask most guys will let you slide on by. Give them the rights to the next couple of holes and fish on. Like i said if you know how to fish you can catch fish even after many a boat has been down the river befor you.

------------------
dank

#87515 - 03/09/00 06:09 PM Re: Another etiquette question
Steelheader boy Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Olympia Wa.
Guttnfish? I see you haven't been on this site very long so we'll cut you slack.... this time....there was no reason for a personal attack ,first water is just that ,they were there first talk it out then wave them on. there is plenty of river for everyone,well except gutnfish?

------------------
Tight Lines
FISH ON ------<*)>><
Men are like fish we get into trouble when we open our mouths to much!!

#87516 - 03/11/00 02:26 PM Re: Another etiquette question
GutZ Offline
The Original Boat Ho

Loc: Bellevue
Last sunday it was quite foggy on the bogachiel. After the shotgun start, (6 or 7 boats blasting off at first light), we drifted down above the "barking dog hole". Someone was doing exactly what you described, going back up to the top. As we did want to fish the hole we waited above. It was very difficult to see with the fog and all. I am trying hard not to offend anyone's rights on the river. I just got a new stearns vest, but alas, it is not the kevlar one! It seems that everytime someone sees me coming down they tend to beet feet to the next hole. I know had it been me working back to the top, I would have tried to signal the upper boat to come on through. If they want to wait that's just fine. I am having a great time fishing the penninsula rivers. Most everyone seems to be friendly. I think Rodney King may have said it best. "Can't we all just get along"

I sincerely hope that I will not be associated with gutnfish, due to the similar monikers. I have been called fishguts by friends and associates for quite awhile. Goes back to some really foul crab bait I used to use.

Are there any written rules for drift boat ettiquitte?

Fishguts

#87517 - 03/12/00 09:52 AM Re: Another etiquette question
just1morecast Offline
Eyed Egg

Loc: Lynden, Wa. USA
You might consider putting in a couple of hours after everyone else, letting the fish rest a bit. First water boats don't catch all the fish and it extremely relaxing being virtually all by youself and still catching fish and not having to play the leapfrog game.

#87518 - 03/12/00 11:29 AM Re: Another etiquette question
Dick Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Sequim WA
We fished the Bogachiel last Sunday and were one of the last ones to launch. We did real well!!! C$R a number of fish all the way down almost to the take out. Took out around 6pm. It was a beautiful day.

------------------
Tight Lines!!

#87519 - 03/14/00 03:56 AM Re: Another etiquette question
Steelheader69 Offline
Spawner

Loc: Tacoma WA
I feel first on the hole gets first fish rights. Once they've moved on is it ok to move into the slot. Since most rivers have so MANY places to actually fish it's a shame that some are resorting to only hitting one or two spots instead of exploring more. I myself have come to avoid the first light rat race and sleep in a bit, get a few cups of coffee, and a hearty breakfast before hitting the river. I'm hitting as many fish, if not more now then I was at first light.

------------------

Northwest River Fisherman

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Swifty27
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (Carcassman), 385 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13525
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63781 Topics
645402 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |