Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#884011 - 02/05/14 12:10 PM Re: NEW IMX RODS FROM G LOOMIS [Re: Bantam]
Nor Cal Drifter Offline
Spawner

Loc: Sacramento, CA
Man this is a tough crowd!

Bantam - I agree with you that a high modulus rod shouldn't "need" an exposed blank reel seat, but it sure doesn't hurt. Why not have every possible advantage when trying to feel what's going on at the end of your line.

Gotta agree with post about rod companies needi g to offer each rod they make in spinning and casting. I wish Loomis would offer each STR rod in GL2, GL3 and IMX.

Edited by Nor Cal Drifter (02/05/14 12:11 PM)

#884024 - 02/05/14 01:07 PM Re: NEW IMX RODS FROM G LOOMIS [Re: ]
I'm So Metal Offline
Parr

Loc: Hamnation
I can't find the weibe handles anymore. Where you guys getting them?

#884027 - 02/05/14 01:37 PM Re: NEW IMX RODS FROM G LOOMIS [Re: ]
COOPDUCK Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Lake Stevens
[quote=2MANY]
I always get a kick out of the companies giving the "famous" fishing crowd free stuff and then the "famous" crowd turning around and bragging up the product.

I agree. Being in sales as well I wonder about the strategy given the demographic buying these high end rods. Seems like it's not going to be the type who are easily influenced by tackle shop personalities.

#884048 - 02/05/14 06:15 PM Re: NEW IMX RODS FROM G LOOMIS [Re: COOPDUCK]
Bantam Offline
Skytucky Redneck

Weibe was bought out by Gary Shaefer of "Sheafer Super Sticker" which has teamed up with Lewis River Rod Company/Featha Styx/Colt/Etc Etc

#884059 - 02/05/14 07:56 PM Re: NEW IMX RODS FROM G LOOMIS [Re: ]
Phil Maraude Offline
Fluffer

Loc: Port Angeles Wa.
Originally Posted By: 2MANY

I always get a kick out of the companies giving the "famous" fishing crowd free stuff and then the "famous" crowd turning around and bragging up the product.

In my opinion, Loomis makes a decent finished rod at an extremely high price.

I fish Rainshadows that Castaway Chris builds me and gave my 7 year old son my mint Loomis GLX 1141. The Loomis handle is too fat, the rod is heavier, and it's twice the price. It's also one of the old, good, snappy, Loomis blanks but it doesn't compare.
It's a constant battle to keep the little fart from grabbing one of mine.

Loomis rods are great if they are free and your picture is in their catalog.

well said

its not hard to find someone that does custom work. sheesh castaway chris is super well known here and you can save a significant amount of money for a better product...

http://wfoworms.com
http://www.rvrfshr.com
http://www.batsonenterprises.com/

#884065 - 02/05/14 08:05 PM Re: NEW IMX RODS FROM G LOOMIS [Re: I'm So Metal]
Twitch Offline
The Beav

Loc: Oregon Central Coast
Originally Posted By: I'm Metal
I can't find the weibe handles anymore. Where you guys getting them?

Anglers Workshop is where I buy mine

#884068 - 02/05/14 08:27 PM Re: NEW IMX RODS FROM G LOOMIS [Re: Twitch]
Brewer Offline

Loc: in the mass production zone
I bought a GL3 1143 back in 01. loved the rod... how ever it has been the biggest POS rod I've ever paid for. with in 4 months of purchase every eye on the tip section had fallen out. same rod has been back to the Loomis plant for same issue.

the blank is great, the components on the blank are cheap. this was the most expensive rod I've bought and the greatest headache!

I don't plan on ever purchasing another Loomis ever again.

#884078 - 02/05/14 09:32 PM Re: NEW IMX RODS FROM G LOOMIS [Re: Brewer]
RobertF
Unregistered

I walked away from the high price tags of these factory rods years ago. I would much rather have a custom built rod. That way I call the shots on what components are on my rod and I get to choose the blank. Just makes more sense to me . Loomis was once a good company. I had the same experience of guide inserts falling out. No one wants to have to deal with that.

#884086 - 02/05/14 10:25 PM Re: NEW IMX RODS FROM G LOOMIS [Re: ]
Brewer Offline

I talked with the chick who came out while I was at the loomis plant about the eyelets falling out. I reasoned I could go across 1-5 to anglers workshop and put some quality eyes on myself. she replied with a snear that if I did that "it would void the rod's warranty".... cue in dead pan stare now!.... I said why cant quality eyes be put on originally? she just stared back....

that's when I decided the high $$$ cash for rods don't equate out to high quality.

been buying Rainshadow blanks ever since and putting quality onto the blank myself.

A.A. has figured out.

#884092 - 02/05/14 10:59 PM Re: NEW IMX RODS FROM G LOOMIS [Re: Salman]
Nick Berto Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Monroe, WA
Originally Posted By: Salman
Originally Posted By: Loomis_Shimano_Rep
Thanks for the kind words! While we aren't the same company we were in the 80's and 90's, if we didn't adapt, we wouldn't be where we are today! Change isn't a bad thing, some are just resistant to it! As fat as components, I don't know anyone else using Fuji K guides on their rods, and the new Fuji reel seats are so awesome and comfortable! There will always be people that want small changes or specific rods and that's where a custom rod will shine. The response to these rods has been overwhelming from the people have picked them up, and especially those that have fished them! If you head down to Portland, stop by the Loomis booth, shake the new rods, and say hi!

Really? A rep who doesn't know another company has had K frame guides on their rods for like a year now (Lamiglas SI Series)? YGTBFKM

4 models for $500ea too.

If you like custom rods, have one made. If you want to walk into somewhere and buy an awesome rod over the counter, where the blank and rod are made right here in the USA by a great group of people, then check these new IMX rods out, I think you'll be impressed.

#884095 - 02/05/14 11:07 PM Re: NEW IMX RODS FROM G LOOMIS [Re: Nick Berto]
Brewer Offline

it's obvious nick your on the loomis "these rods are awesome" team.

#884101 - 02/05/14 11:41 PM Re: NEW IMX RODS FROM G LOOMIS [Re: Brewer]
big.fishy
Unregistered

I fish loomis rods exclusively. Every rod I own is a loomis. I got rid of all my other rods and never looked back. Picked up one of the new imx rods a couple days ago through a buddy. Cant wait to get it bent.

#884102 - 02/05/14 11:49 PM Re: NEW IMX RODS FROM G LOOMIS [Re: ]
Salman Offline
Spawner

Too bad they don't offer blanks or I'd be inclined to bend some more myself.

#884117 - 02/06/14 03:34 AM Re: NEW IMX RODS FROM G LOOMIS [Re: Salman]
Free_Globbin Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Grays Harbor
Too bad the rep dodged a bunch of our direct questions. What a superb job at selling these rods. This thread really makes me want to go out and buy one of these rods beathead

#884120 - 02/06/14 10:25 AM Re: NEW IMX RODS FROM G LOOMIS [Re: Free_Globbin]
Canyon Man Offline
The Golden Child

Loc: Bothell, WA U.S.A.
I have a few of these rods on the way. I believe that in both quality and craftsmanship this new IMX series will really impress those people that give them a chance. I guess I really don't understand all the bashing? Can companies not come out with new and improved products? It has been a few years since I purchased any gloomis products, but I think even the naysayers will really be impressed if they give this new line up a fair shake.

I, for one, am very glad and impressed that loomis has made this effort to improve their product and come out with this new line up of rods. I will report back after I go chase some chrome for a few days with them smile.

CM
Your Insurance Professional

#884121 - 02/06/14 10:52 AM Re: NEW IMX RODS FROM G LOOMIS [Re: Canyon Man]
wsu Offline
Returning Adult

Why do you need a $500 ultra-sensitive rod for sidedrifting anyway? Isn't the point to let the fish eat for a while?

#884131 - 02/06/14 12:28 PM Re: NEW IMX RODS FROM G LOOMIS [Re: ]
Canyon Man Offline
The Golden Child

Loc: Bothell, WA U.S.A.
Again I just don't see the need to bash. Why? Is it not possible for a company to come out with an improved product line? Better components, better construction? I sure am glad that gloomis and many other companies in the industry keep trying to improve and innovate or we would all still be using bamboo rods with line wrapped around a tin can. What happened to the old moral values of not saying anything if you don't have anything nice to say. I guess I am just naive.

Again, thank you gloomis, and all the other rod and reel companies willing to spend money on research and development, for striving to put out new and innovative products for the industry we all love to participate in!

CM
Your Insurance Professional

#884132 - 02/06/14 12:28 PM Re: NEW IMX RODS FROM G LOOMIS [Re: Free_Globbin]
Loomis_Shimano_Rep Offline
Fry

Originally Posted By: Free_Globbin
Too bad the rep dodged a bunch of our direct questions. What a superb job at selling these rods. This thread really makes me want to go out and buy one of these rods beathead

Hey sorry you felt this way, between IMX guide and industry night Friday night, fishing Saturday (we went 3/5 by the way on new 1161's), the Superbowl on Sunday and dealing with set up for the Portland Sportsman's show this week I've been just a little bit busy. Unfortunately, I couldn't make this post a priority. I need more hours in the day!

As far as finished weights go - I don't have that info handy, but i'll put in a request for it from HQ.

As far as blanks - I passed along the interest to the fine folks at G Loomis, if they become available, i'll be sure to let this group know first, since many people are interested. As far as why - we discountinued the blank program for dealers a few years ago, something about manufacturing capacities. I know there is interest in re building it.

Fuji K Frames - Lamiglas and St. Croix run it on others, but to my knowledge they aren't doing a full line up (27 rods) all with Fuji K Frames. Sorry for the confusion.

Rainshadow makes good product, but its still an imported blank.

As it was mentioned, we manufactuer rods for the masses, we aren't a custom rod manufacturer and we never will be, that's why custom rod builders can stay in business. If you want to see a specific rod, please feel free to share, but again, its got to be something we can move quantities of throughout the year, not some niche rod that we will sell 5 a year of.

The few people on here that have actually picked up, let alone fished the new sticks have been very impressed.

For those of you who would like to see, feel and shake the rods before you make an opinion Three Rivers, Sportco and Outdoor Emporium should all have them in the next 2 weeks.

Come see us down at the Portland Show. I've got an IMX hat, and fancy new loomis sticker to replaced the faded one on the back of your truck for you guys.

#884136 - 02/06/14 12:47 PM Re: NEW IMX RODS FROM G LOOMIS [Re: Loomis_Shimano_Rep]
Kinetic Kwik Offline
Spawner

Loc: sum x wet,sum x dry WA 4 Life

#884140 - 02/06/14 01:35 PM Re: NEW IMX RODS FROM G LOOMIS [Re: ]
Nor Cal Drifter Offline
Spawner

Loc: Sacramento, CA
Originally Posted By: 2MANY
Originally Posted By: Canyon Man
Again I just don't see the need to bash. Why? Is it not possible for a company to come out with an improved product line? Better components, better construction? I sure am glad that gloomis and many other companies in the industry keep trying to improve and innovate or we would all still be using bamboo rods with line wrapped around a tin can. What happened to the old moral values of not saying anything if you don't have anything nice to say. I guess I am just naive.

Again, thank you gloomis, and all the other rod and reel companies willing to spend money on research and development, for striving to put out new and innovative products for the industry we all love to participate in!

CM

Since you jumped on after my post I'll assume you are talking to me.

Bashing?
If pointing out folks can have a custom rod built that (for the sake of being polite) is at least an equal for almost half the price............then I'm guilty.

Personally I believe people work hard for their money and deserve two quality rods for the price of .....in this case.... one. I'm thankful someone finally pointed me in the right direction after 20 years of spending too much money on rods.

Furthermore this is a blog where people can have an opinion.

If it's strictly a promotional advertisement then IMHO it should be paid for accordingly and locked at the top of the page.

2Many -

That's great that the custom rod option works for you. I think you are in the minority though. Most people want a rod that they can walk in to a shop, wiggle it a little, pay for it, and go fishing. There is a whole 'nother level of knowledge required to order a custom rod, and most people don't want to bother with details of guides, reel seats, cork, tip tops, etc. In addition, what most custom rod proponnents like yourself seem to overlook, whether intentional or not, is the convenience and peace of mind that comes from buying a production rod from a reputable company that offers a great warranty. You break your custom rod, it now has to be stripped of it's componnents, the blank has to be warrantied, then you pay to have it re-wrapped. Conversely, if I break my "production" rod, I send it to Loomis, and I'm back fishing with a repaired or new rod in (usually) 7-10 days. So...yes I do pay a little more for a Loomis, but I am knowingly paying a premium for this level of warranty, service and peace of mind. Consider it an insurance premium.

Don't get me wrong...I think there is definitely a place for custom rods and I appreciate what seems to be a dying art, but don't understand why you and others seem to want to cram the custom rod option down everyone's throat like it's the best way and the only way. This is not a one size fits all industry.

Loomis_Shimano_Rep - good on you for coming on here and answering the specific questions. This is a tough crowd sometimes. Can't wait to check out the new IMX lineup.

Edited by Nor Cal Drifter (02/06/14 01:39 PM)

Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Cameron D., FlyingFish, NEfishLdo, shinnecock1
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (darth baiter), 581 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14489
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63783 Topics
645422 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |