THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#884142 - 02/06/14 02:02 PM Re: NEW IMX RODS FROM G LOOMIS [Re: Nor Cal Drifter]
Piper
Unregistered

I like rods like I like my women... I like'em cheap so I can use them till I'm tired of them - Then, I start over with a new one...

Kid Piper spins a pretty nice rod blank so its rainshadows all the way for me.

#884143 - 02/06/14 02:12 PM Re: NEW IMX RODS FROM G LOOMIS [Re: Kinetic Kwik]
Nor Cal Drifter Offline
Spawner

Loc: Sacramento, CA
Originally Posted By: Kinetic Kwik
Originally Posted By: Nor Cal Drifter
but don't understand why you and others seem to want to cram the custom rod option down everyone's throat like it's the best way and the only way.

You mean similar to the way you suck up to Loomis/shimano on here and cryfish ????????

Being a fan of - or "sucking up" as you so eloquently put it - Loomis and Shimano is not the same as trying to cram it down someone's throat as the best and only option.

#884144 - 02/06/14 02:15 PM Re: NEW IMX RODS FROM G LOOMIS [Re: Nor Cal Drifter]
Osprey Offline
Spawner

Loc: Osprey Acres /Olympja
I too had problems with my 1143 gl3 .bought mine in early 2000. Broke twice in 3 years ,returned for exchange at auburn sports, third time they said no more it will cost 50 bucks. I said u keep it.
Don't get me wrong , I really liked that rod.
I am not hard on my equipment at all . So I switched to a 9/6 6-15 cert-pro never looked back.
For some of us it boils down to budget,that's a lot to spend. It doesn't help you catch more fish, but you sure look....kinda big timin it.
They do sound pretty sweet ..........Os

#884147 - 02/06/14 02:28 PM Re: NEW IMX RODS FROM G LOOMIS [Re: ]
Piper
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: Hankster
Originally Posted By: Loomis_Shimano_Rep

Rainshadow makes good product, but its still an imported blank.

I don't have any problem with my rods built on Rainshadow blanks and they are cheaper, but there's a lot to be said for buying products made in the good ol' U.S. of A.

I like my rods like I like my women... Imported wink

#884156 - 02/06/14 03:34 PM Re: NEW IMX RODS FROM G LOOMIS [Re: ]
The Moderator Offline
The Chosen One

Loc: Tuleville
Loomis has made great rods and crap rods. So has every manufacturer out there.

Of all their rods I've owned, I flat out HATED the 1143c. Biggest POS out there. Too long, improperly weighted and no power in the butt.

Of all their rods I've owned and still use for most of how I fish, nothing beats the IMX 1025c. If it's not made any more (might not be), I'll cry when it breaks, as their is no substitute for this rod.

Nothing is going to top the IMX 1141s for boondogging as well as the IMX 1082s for side drifting, IMO.

The other rod I mostly use is a SAGE 290. Never did like the 296, so I got rid of it.

I'm not on any Loomis program (or Sage), but would give their rods a shot - only thing is that I'm perfectly happy with what I have, so I don't need to go out and get any more rods.

Until you hold one, see how it's made, and try one for yourself, I honestly don't understand the Loomis bashing.

I will be the first to say that while I love my IMX's, they do look like they were made by children.....and not very adept children at that. I would only HOPE the new IMX's have improved on the quality of their craftsmanship. Holding all judgements until I get to see one....which won't be long as I'm sure I'll be out fishing with CanyonMan or Bob one of these days.

#884157 - 02/06/14 03:38 PM Re: NEW IMX RODS FROM G LOOMIS [Re: ]
Nor Cal Drifter Offline
Spawner

Loc: Sacramento, CA
Originally Posted By: 2MANY
"You break your custom rod, it now has to be stripped of it's componnents, the blank has to be warrantied, then you pay to have it re-wrapped."

Not even close to true.
We should call myth busters.

Tell us how it works then. Not trying to be an a$$ - honestly would like to know if I am wrong on this as this is probably the #1 reason I have not tried a custom rod to date.

#884158 - 02/06/14 03:40 PM Re: NEW IMX RODS FROM G LOOMIS [Re: ]
Bent Metal Offline
Carcass

Loc: Sky River(WA) Clearwater(Id)
Ive fished Loomis since 96' I think and have really liked their product and service. From what ive heard the new IMX are great. Fishing rods are over-rated anyways, ive got an old skool Shakespeare noodle rod that has countless steelhead and is well over 10yrs old for 50$. If im plunking, float fishing, canyon climbing, I can catch plenty of fish with a cheap cabelas rod( yellow rain jacket, and reel included). If im bottom bouncing or swinging metal I can use one of my old Loomis rods and do just fine.

Nice to see Loomis upgrading and adding!

#884159 - 02/06/14 03:42 PM Re: NEW IMX RODS FROM G LOOMIS [Re: Nor Cal Drifter]
The Moderator Offline
The Chosen One

Loc: Tuleville
Well, if it's a rainshadow......

You need to send the broken piece in to Rainshadow. They will examine the broken piece and either warranty it, replace it, etc.

From there, it goes back to whomever made your rod and they get to re-wrap a new tip, butt, etc. At your cost of the wrapping, shipping, etc.

Or, you know the person who does your rod work and much like any guide program available by rod manufacturers, you get cut a deal-eo.

#884160 - 02/06/14 03:54 PM Re: NEW IMX RODS FROM G LOOMIS [Re: The Moderator]
Rocket Red Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Elma
It must be hard to be a tackle company rep. Representing a product where everyone has a different opinion as to how that product should perform. I think in a situation like this MB you get a bunch of people who don't do much off-the-shelf rod purchasing because they have been at this so long they have very specific tastes for their gear.

I'm a custom guy, mostly because my friend Elkman does my rods. I can be guaranteed good service and products because of a good relationship. If it weren't for him I would have graduated to much cheaper rods a long time ago.

I have plenty of Lamiglas, Loomis, and Rainshadow rods. I have broke all of them, just last week I broke an 1142 RX7 in one of the stupidest ways possible. The custom route is my favorite because a simple text to Elkman and he tells me what to do. I don't want to have to go anywhere except the post office, and I have people for that.

#884166 - 02/06/14 04:35 PM Re: NEW IMX RODS FROM G LOOMIS [Re: ]
Bent Metal Offline
Carcass

Loc: Sky River(WA) Clearwater(Id)
Ive got a Loomis sticker in my back window, Its kinda faded and banged up = like my truck violin

#884168 - 02/06/14 04:46 PM Re: NEW IMX RODS FROM G LOOMIS [Re: ]
Piper
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: Hankster

As I recall, the last pic you posted of your future ex looks as though she was imported from a European country.

smile

Hey! even I've used a GLoomis wink

I won't spend more than a $200 on a rod or parts for a rod and I've always received more than $200 worth back out of every one of them before they broke or I tired of them... they will either get cut up for parts or put on a shelf.

#884169 - 02/06/14 04:46 PM Re: NEW IMX RODS FROM G LOOMIS [Re: ]
stonefish Offline
King of the Beach

Loc: Carkeek Park
I still like fishing the old Loomis IM6 sticks.
SF

#884174 - 02/06/14 05:14 PM Re: NEW IMX RODS FROM G LOOMIS [Re: ]
Brewer Offline

Loc: in the mass production zone
Originally Posted By: 2MANY
Originally Posted By: Canyon Man
Again I just don't see the need to bash. Why? Is it not possible for a company to come out with an improved product line? Better components, better construction? I sure am glad that gloomis and many other companies in the industry keep trying to improve and innovate or we would all still be using bamboo rods with line wrapped around a tin can. What happened to the old moral values of not saying anything if you don't have anything nice to say. I guess I am just naive.

Again, thank you gloomis, and all the other rod and reel companies willing to spend money on research and development, for striving to put out new and innovative products for the industry we all love to participate in!

CM

Since you jumped on after my post I'll assume you are talking to me.

Bashing?
If pointing out folks can have a custom rod built that (for the sake of being polite) is at least an equal for almost half the price............then I'm guilty.

Personally I believe people work hard for their money and deserve two quality rods for the price of .....in this case.... one. I'm thankful someone finally pointed me in the right direction after 20 years of spending too much money on rods.

Furthermore this is a blog where people can have an opinion.

If it's strictly a promotional advertisement then IMHO it should be paid for accordingly and locked at the top of the page.

here's a another way of looking at it. when a guy finally pulls the trigger to purchase a super nice sports car. after the purchase the wheels start falling off. not once but many times. no matter how many times the car is returned to the dealership the wheels continue to fall off!

this is what happened to me. its a case of after awhile the frustration just kills the desire to go back and pull the trigger again.

I don't care how much hype a couple guys or a rep say about it. i'll stick with the loomis competitors.

#884175 - 02/06/14 05:15 PM Re: NEW IMX RODS FROM G LOOMIS [Re: stonefish]
Canyon Man Offline
The Golden Child

Loc: Bothell, WA U.S.A.
2Many...I don't know you and am not trying to call you out in any way. I just don't understand why people(in general) have to assume the worst when something new comes out. I for one hope that any product that I have had a less than favorable experience with comes out with a new and improved version. This just shows that the company actually listens and cares.

If any company continues to just produce products people don't like and are not confident in, without making an attempt at getting better, then they are going to be out of business very quickly. Everyone makes mistakes in life, but I have great respect for those who try and learn from mistakes and get better.

I sincerely think this is the case with the new IMX lineup, but I will let you know for sure next week smile!

CM
Your Insurance Professional

#884180 - 02/06/14 05:23 PM Re: NEW IMX RODS FROM G LOOMIS [Re: ]
steelhead_stalkers Offline
Returning Adult

Comparing custom built rods to factory rods is obviously like comparing apples to oranges. There are a lot of good factory rod companies that make high end rods. I don't see the need to talk bad about these rods or compare them to custom built rods.

A long time ago I used a rod builder who built a ton of rods using g loomis blanks along with batson. At the time I wanted the best rod possible and decided on the loomis glx blank for a steelhead rod. The price difference between the loomis and batson built up the same was enough that I could almost get two batsons for the same price as one loomis custom. He thought the batsons were just as good as the loomis (so did people on here) so I went with the batson and loved both of those rods. I used batons XST blanks for many years after those first two. I believed that they were every bit as good as the IMX or GLX I had wanted to purchase. They make great blanks and at good price.

Having said that, I now use North Fork Composites blanks and comparing the two there is a noticeable difference in vibrations coming through the blank as well as weight. Just sliding the tip across the ceiling the batson feels kind of dead and tip heavy. I used my old 10'6" XST 8-17 lb rod a lot this fall for Chinook because my NFC rod fall out of the boat at some point driving to the coast. It wasn't until I built up a new NFC 1065 (HM), 10'6", 10-20 lb that I realized how much difference there is between those two almost identical rods. Similar components and build but the NFC felt like a trout rod compared to the XST and fighting the fish was a blast.

I guess my point is these IMX rods are probably pretty nice. They are expensive but so are other similar high end factory rods. If you wanted a custom rod built on a similar blank you could have it done for probably the same price as the factory rod with slightly better components and grip configuration. Saying a custom batson is a lot better or even equal to the new IMX is a little crazy. Have two custom built rods made exactly the same one with a cheaper blank and the other with a NFC, Sage or other high end more expensive blank and you will feel a difference. The cheaper one will not feel lighter or more sensitive no matter how good of components you put on it! Will the more expensive rod catch more fish? Nope, probably not but it will feel pretty awesome out on the water. wink

Edited by steelhead_stalkers (02/06/14 05:26 PM)

#884187 - 02/06/14 05:40 PM Re: NEW IMX RODS FROM G LOOMIS [Re: Canyon Man]
AP a.k.a. Kaiser D Offline
Hippie

Loc: B'ham
I'm still waiting to hear the answer if the loomis expeditor service applies to these rods? $100 fee? Can it be used more than once?

I like Loom is rods in general but think there are some models that are better than others. The STR1084 in IMX is special sauce and the STR1025 is a badass workhorse. That said, it is hard to not see nearly all manufacturers' high-end rods as being drastically overpriced.

#884188 - 02/06/14 05:41 PM Re: NEW IMX RODS FROM G LOOMIS [Re: ]
Canyon Man Offline
The Golden Child

Loc: Bothell, WA U.S.A.
Lol...haven't met Flo yet, but do write with progressive on occasion. Maybe I'll see if I can talk to her directly next time I need to contact an underwriter smile.

Btw...I am purchasing these rods(not getting them free) and will give you a very honest opinion once they have been fished, good or bad. Like I said before...from what I can see and feel off the shelf they look to be vastly improved...the real test is soon to come.

CM
Your Insurance Professional

#884199 - 02/06/14 06:12 PM Re: NEW IMX RODS FROM G LOOMIS [Re: ]
Brewer Offline

Loc: in the mass production zone
i'm glad i'm to the age of not buying into hype any more.

#884217 - 02/06/14 07:06 PM Re: NEW IMX RODS FROM G LOOMIS [Re: Brewer]
Keta Offline
Repeat Spawner

All I have to say is those girls need some fish blood.slime and dirt on those waders,looks too fake.
Hey Loomis Shimano guy, don't worry, nobody gives a sh!t what anyone here thinks.

#884231 - 02/06/14 07:49 PM Re: NEW IMX RODS FROM G LOOMIS [Re: Keta]
Salman Offline
Spawner

Why is it only IMX and not GLX, GL3, GL2? Will those lines be dropped off as soon as everyone jumps on the wagon?

Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Cameron D., FlyingFish, NEfishLdo, shinnecock1
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
2 registered (wolverine, 20 Gage), 1072 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14489
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63783 Topics
645423 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |