Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#886140 - 02/18/14 11:56 PM Brown Trout
stonefish Offline
King of the Beach

Loc: Carkeek Park
Saw this on another board an though others might enjoy watching it.
SF

https://vimeo.com/86877656

Edited by stonefish (02/18/14 11:58 PM)

#886144 - 02/19/14 12:40 AM Re: Brown Trout [Re: stonefish]
Bantam Offline
Skytucky Redneck

Very kool video, I foresee some trouting in my future

#886145 - 02/19/14 12:43 AM Re: Brown Trout [Re: stonefish]
ColeyG Offline
Ranger Danger

Loc: AK
That was well worth watching.

I think brown trout are one of the most beautiful fish swimming and I need to get to know them better. They have all but made the fool of me on a few continents now and I am looking forward to the rematches.

They can be easy to discount as plain at first glance, but like many fish (the grayling being another) the closer you look the more you see and there are some amazing details and colors in the brown trouts visage and body. The subtle iridescent bluegreen sheen in the gill plate is awesome. The big black and brown spots with an ever so small circle of pink or orange surrounding them...art.

EZ Thread Yarn Balls

"I don't care how you catch them, as long as you treat them well and with respect." Lani Waller in "A Steelheader's Way."

#886166 - 02/19/14 10:32 AM Re: Brown Trout [Re: ]
stonefish Offline
King of the Beach

Loc: Carkeek Park
Thanks Chuck...nice looking area there.
The last fish in each video had some serious shoulders on them.
I agree that browns are really unique looking.

Here is another good video.
http://vimeo.com/31796807
SF

Edited by stonefish (02/19/14 11:38 AM)

#886255 - 02/20/14 01:17 AM Re: Brown Trout [Re: stonefish]
metaladdiction Offline
Returning Adult

Nice find SF! Had connection probs last night, but worth the wait. Chucks vid is next.

#890654 - 04/01/14 12:07 AM Re: Brown Trout [Re: metaladdiction]
NickD90 Offline
Shooting Instructor for hire

Loc: Snohomish, WA
Brownies are the best and my personal favorite on the fly. The big maw & shoulders and a dogged determination. They are meat eaters but they will take delicate dries. They are the King Salmon of the Trout world or at least fight like it. My personal best trout was a 30 - 31", 12 lb hen caught on Thanksgiving morning 2002 on the San Juan (New Mexico side). Size #20 midge dry with 6x. She made the big mistake and went up river on her first couple of runs which allowed me to get below her in the channel and net her as she passed down stream. I had one net shot or she would have been down stream and gone on that 6x. I was alone and I have no pictures. I won the lottery that day and I'll probably never repeat that feat.

Don't even get me started on float tubing at night under the full moon on CO's high mountain reservoirs. A big black leech steamer = game on...

#890660 - 04/01/14 12:43 AM Re: Brown Trout [Re: NickD90]
Speyguy Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Bellingham
Hey Nick, I've got a pic from the early 90's somewhere(must find) of a friend @ 2am on a medium sized private pond below Silverthorne with the largest Brown I've ever seen landed.....way bigger than the floatube....Mouse fly on a full moon...Ha. Tom

#890662 - 04/01/14 12:53 AM Re: Brown Trout [Re: Speyguy]
NickD90 Offline

Yep - I do not doubt that at all. There are some HUGE browns in small private ponds. I got towed from one end of a small 1 acre pond to the other like it was nothing. Like I wasn't even there. Snapped me off in the shallow weeds. That Brown was at least 20.

I'd love to see that pic, so please scan the picture if you can.

#890663 - 04/01/14 01:09 AM Re: Brown Trout [Re: NickD90]
NickD90 Offline

Del Canty. For those that haven't heard of him, he's the greatest Brown Trout fisherman of all time. He home based on Flaming Gorge. He pioneered (and invented) what is known as modern float tubing with Lunker Hunter in the late 70's. My primary float tube today was given to me by him when I was 8 back in 83' (just like the blaze orange or yellow ones in the pics). He taught us to tie 200 ft' ropes to our float tubes and then to the bumpers of trucks or tree stumps on the shore before you go out on a moonless night. Big leech and mice patterns.

I'm telling you - being out in the middle of a HUGE reservoir in the pitch black in a full "sit in" style float tube is something else. Especially when the wind kicks up. eek2

Del Canty Picture Tour: Keep in mind a lot of these fish are landlocked from Utah and Colorado
World Records Inside

Edited by NickD90 (04/01/14 01:19 AM)

#890665 - 04/01/14 01:32 AM Re: Brown Trout [Re: NickD90]
Speyguy Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Bellingham
Ha, been digging, and appears it may be on one of the 3 hardrives sitting in the drawer....pretty sure I scanned it and had it saved somewhere. Confident Don has it saved somewhere aside from the framed pic that's probably in his office.....I got towed around Spinney Res. for awhile many years ago right after iceout....could have been a pike, but never saw it. Here's a few things I found labled Brown....Can't remember how to post pics, so. First is when I had an old underwater camera on "Dream Stream" S.Platte,second is Silver Creek ID recently(few yrs ago), and last is some guide/someone in the "shark pond" @ Silver Creek about 10 yrs ago.....Tom

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc268/blackmouth_photos/Fishing/Whalesharkbrown_zps9eacc8b1.jpg

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc268/blackmouth_photos/Fishing/silvercreekbrown_zps5cb4c014.jpg

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc268/blackmouth_photos/Fishing/Silvercreekhog_zpsb71350e0.jpg

#890666 - 04/01/14 01:37 AM Re: Brown Trout [Re: Speyguy]
NickD90 Offline

Nice pics and well done. I miss my Browns living out here.

Spinney is pretty solid. It was an absolute powder keg when they first opened it up (for about 5 years). It tapered off after that once word got out, but there are still some really, really big fish in there. Some monstrous Pike that would make Minnesota guys drool.

Thanks for the pics - good stuff.

#891038 - 04/04/14 09:29 PM Re: Brown Trout [Re: ]
SRoffe Offline
Spawner

Originally Posted By: 2MANY
It has that far away look in it's eyes.

It's the water, its to far away for the fish. smile

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Carcassman, Clipfin, Danny Clyde, Dannyboy, dk1948, Twitch
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 993 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645361 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |