Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#895504 - 05/18/14 03:20 PM Anatomy of a hook
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

I attended the tweed and ascot ASFI - Atlantic Salmon Fly International - symposium gig in Renton yesterday. Fly tiers from 13 or so countries, folks who take fly tying seriously. Learned a few things, for instance, I am way too impatient in tying flies, and my results show it. And I'm a slow tier at that.

And because regular manufactured store-bought hooks are of insufficient quality for the art quality flies these folks tie, a few of them have taken to making their own hooks, one at a time, more or less. So I happened upon the table where hook-maker Byron Bjerke, of Snohomish, WA was demonstrating the process and invited me to give it a try.

The process begins with straight pieces of piano wire, lots of them. Piano wire comes already tempered and has to be annealed, or have the temper removed in order to work with it. Byron and the others pool their wire to have this process done commercially, since their mass of wire amounts to a minimum batch for the commercial outfit.

Byron has made a jig to slice the barb on individual pieces of steel wire, but I think in "production" mode he can barb up to 6 or 8 pieces at a time. Then I put the wire in a standard fly tying vise and with small files shaped the hook point and barb until I thought it looked "right." Then Byron helped by finishing it off, because "right" to me and "right" to these upscale fly tiers are separated by a noticeable gap. After filing, then the steel is finished by hand sanding with little strips of fine sandpaper.

The next step is bending the hook, using one of the many jigs Byron has, depending on the hook size and style of bend. There are several that are common to the classic salmon flies.

So now I have a not finished hook that I brought home because the next step involves re-heating the steel to red hot and then immersing it in oil, which results in a too-brittle temper. Then it needs to be re-heated again, this time to 600 degrees F and allowed to air cool, producing the amount of temper that is desirable in a fishing hook.

All this for a "hook." If you, like me, think some of the commercial fly tying hooks are kinda' spendy at around $1.00 each, then these show fly hooks are really steep. They run about $9.00 or $10.00 per hook, or $5.00 for "seconds." Ouch! I guess I'll stop complaining that decent hooks are no longer available at $1.38 per hundred, like I used to buy them from Herter's in the early 1970s.

The show, or symposium, or whatever it is, appeared to be very successful, but it's clearly focused on an obscure niche segment of the fly fishing and fly tying community. Nowhere else will you find such a quantity of jungle cock, blue and scarlet macaw, blue chatterer, Indian crow, and other uncommon fly tying material.

Sg

#895524 - 05/18/14 06:54 PM Re: Anatomy of a hook [Re: Salmo g.]
blackmouth Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: right place/wrong time
I enjpyed your post. I think that I can understand the desire to do things perfectly. I find myself to be too pragmatic to achieve such lofty goals with regularity. However I would like to at least believe, that I understand.

"So it goes." Kurt Vonnegut jr.

#895581 - 05/19/14 01:10 PM Re: Anatomy of a hook [Re: blackmouth]
FleaFlickr02 Offline
River Nutrients

Macaw feathers? Crikey....

I'm duly impressed by what great tiers can do, but since I'm slow to tie even the ugly crap I fish, I won't be taking the time to craft my own irons. Those folks truly live in a different world, and I bet it's a pretty cool place if it permits them to devote so much time to their beloved craft. Bet that was neat to watch/participate in.

#895594 - 05/19/14 03:29 PM Re: Anatomy of a hook [Re: FleaFlickr02]
stonefish Offline
King of the Beach

Loc: Carkeek Park
Interesting stuff Salmo.
The flies those people put out are truly pieces of art. Making your own hooks takes it to another level.
While I enjoy looking at the patterns those folks tie, I've never had the patience, time or ability tie those types of flies.
SF

#895625 - 05/19/14 09:41 PM Re: Anatomy of a hook [Re: ]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

One time deal KK. They don't happen regularly, and when they happen, it's usually in Europe or the UK.

#895733 - 05/20/14 09:22 PM Re: Anatomy of a hook [Re: ]
blackmouth Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: right place/wrong time
Bon Voyage, smile

If you get the chance I hope that you take it, and that you enjoy it.

By the way I wore an ascot to my Senior Prom. I used it to clean my hands, when my fuel pump failed on the way there.

Oh well, it was Lavender Blue anyway.

"So it goes." Kurt Vonnegut jr.

#900391 - 07/15/14 04:11 PM Re: Anatomy of a hook [Re: blackmouth]
RogueBum Offline
Parr

Loc: Southern Oregon
Making your own hooks to tie your flies on is intense! The next step is to raise your own animals to get the hair/feathers from and to tie them in-hand rather than using a vise!

Maybe spin your own horse hair line.

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
BigRedHead, Gene, Milton Fisher, Selther, SpinyRayLover
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (No More Ice Fishin), 1153 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63779 Topics
645373 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |