Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#897968 - 06/18/14 09:55 AM Skagit River sockeye weekend opener was a dud
Phoenix77 Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Kent, WA
Skagit River sockeye weekend opener was a dud

The Skagit River sockeye opener this past weekend was lackluster at best.

“It was slow with anglers scoring a whole bunch of zeros,” said Brett Barkdull, a state Fish and Wildlife biologist. “The water conditions look way better than it did two years ago (when the forecast was similar to this summer), and water flows are half of what it was at this same date.”

A state Fish and Wildlife check from Saturday and Sunday showed 361 anglers with seven sockeye.

“That is not very good, and it has to get better,” Barkdull said. “It is still too early to say which way this run will end up going.”

The peak time and/or mid-point of the sockeye run is usually around July 17.

The sockeye fishery in the Skagit River from Highway 536 at Mount Vernon to the mouth of Gilligan Creek is open through June 29 with a two sockeye daily limit (a 12 inch minimum size limit) and a night closure.

The Skagit system sockeye forecast this summer is .... http://blogs.seattletimes.com/reeltimeno...ener-was-a-dud/

If you must burn our flag, Please! wrap yourself in it.
Puget Sound Anglers, So. King Co.
CCA SeaTac Chapter

I love my country but fear my government

#897976 - 06/18/14 12:13 PM Re: Skagit River sockeye weekend opener was a dud [Re: Phoenix77]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

It's still early for Baker sockeye. Then again, the run has enjoyed above average marine survival the last few years. At some point there have to be some below average survival rate seasons. I was just hoping this isn't going to be one of them.

#897978 - 06/18/14 12:21 PM Re: Skagit River sockeye weekend opener was a dud [Re: Salmo g.]
Chad Lukehart Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Sedro Woolley, WA
And that was the opener that they absolutely expected, set a date early enough that people will catch the fever and drop a ton of money into the economy buying bait, lisc, weights, ect. ect. ect. all the while knowing that no fish (or very few) will be caught thusly not affecting the hatchery/up river fish, then on top of it we can get a Baker Lake fisherly, thusly injecting a BUNCH more money into the economy. This way everyone can say that they gave an equal opportunity to everyone in this fishery. HMMMMMM Makes since to me..........Not. Should have pushed the fishery back a week and allowed fishing over 4th of July and they would have had the same, if not more money injected into the local economy and people could have "possibly" caught a few more fish.

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
landcruiserwilly, Tom Trune
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 501 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645372 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |