LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#904533 - 08/30/14 09:05 PM hello from a indiana steelhead addict.
viper0463 Offline
Alevin

Loc: hobart indiana
Hi everyone I'm not sure if this is where I'm supposed to post this and if not please move it to the correct section. I'm from indiana on the southern tip of lake michigan. I have a severe steelhead addiction and a salmon problem as well. I've been lurking on several of the west coast fishing forums for a long time, stealing every bit of info I can and putting it to work here. I thank everyone for all the info you've all provided without me ever having to ask. I started a youtube channel this year and have posted up some vids of my hookups here. If anyone is interested to see how it looks here in indiana take a look https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJqcn_6E3DMBcopxP1h6CqA
Thanks everyone in advance.

#904536 - 08/30/14 09:35 PM Re: hello from a indiana steelhead addict. [Re: viper0463]
bushbear Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Sequim
Welcome

#904537 - 08/30/14 09:54 PM Re: hello from a indiana steelhead addict. [Re: bushbear]
viper0463 Offline
Alevin

Originally Posted By: bushbear
Welcome

Thank you

#904541 - 08/31/14 12:16 AM Re: hello from a indiana steelhead addict. [Re: viper0463]
cjjohnston14 Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Silverdale, WA
Another Hoosier!! Heck yea I, myself, am originally from Indiana! Now I live out here in Washington absorbing some of the best fishing, area and people I have ever met. Next time I get back home on leave we should hit the rivers!

CJ

#904542 - 08/31/14 12:18 AM Re: hello from a indiana steelhead addict. [Re: viper0463]
supcoop Offline
Lady Killer Deluxe

Loc: Kirkland
Welcome.

Before you know it we are all going to have to head out your way for steelhead.

#904551 - 08/31/14 03:28 AM Re: hello from a indiana steelhead addict. [Re: cjjohnston14]
viper0463 Offline
Alevin

Originally Posted By: cjjohnston14
Another Hoosier!! Heck yea I, myself, am originally from Indiana! Now I live out here in Washington absorbing some of the best fishing, area and people I have ever met. Next time I get back home on leave we should hit the rivers!

Absolutely, I'm always ready to hit the rivers around here. I actually live very close to salt creek so that's my primary area. The first few chinook showed uo a week or so ago. It's looking like it'll be a good run this year.

#904552 - 08/31/14 03:31 AM Re: hello from a indiana steelhead addict. [Re: supcoop]
viper0463 Offline
Alevin

Originally Posted By: supcoop
Welcome.

Before you know it we are all going to have to head out your way for steelhead.

Lets hope you just have to come out this way for a different steelhead experience. I hope that the problems I've been reading about on the west coast get worked out before that resource is gone.

#904560 - 08/31/14 09:40 AM Re: hello from a indiana steelhead addict. [Re: viper0463]
Jerry Garcia Offline

Loc: everett
Welcome.

Growing old ain't for wimps
Lonnie Gane

#904580 - 08/31/14 02:47 PM Re: hello from a indiana steelhead addict. [Re: Jerry Garcia]
RogueFanatic Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Kitsap Co.
Many is the steelie I have hooked in Trail Creek, Michigan City pier, and the St. Joe! We fish a little differently out here and the crowds are thinner but much is the same- welcome.

#904581 - 08/31/14 02:48 PM Re: hello from a indiana steelhead addict. [Re: Jerry Garcia]
viper0463 Offline
Alevin

Originally Posted By: Jerry Garcia
Welcome.

Thank you

#904603 - 08/31/14 09:21 PM Re: hello from a indiana steelhead addict. [Re: viper0463]
cjjohnston14 Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Silverdale, WA
Yea I grew up in NE Indiana Lagrange County my grandpa always said there were steelhead there but I never actually fished for them out there.

CJ

#904606 - 08/31/14 10:05 PM Re: hello from a indiana steelhead addict. [Re: ]
Bent Metal Offline
Carcass

Loc: Sky River(WA) Clearwater(Id)
Originally Posted By: Steelspanker

Now, what about the headwaters of Salt Cr? Is there a hatchery? A fry planting area?

Here comes WFC....lol

Welcome,

I've only read about the Great Lakes steelhead fisheries.. Sounds like a lot of fun. Isn't return rates somewhere around 10-15%??

Don't get too excited about WA steelheading...Puget sound is just about shut down for good, other areas are seeing increased pressure and downward trends also. Not a pretty picture. Enjoy what you have over there!

#904608 - 08/31/14 10:28 PM Re: hello from a indiana steelhead addict. [Re: ]
viper0463 Offline
Alevin

Yeah, welcome.

" I have a severe steelhead addiction and a salmon problem as well."

No jive. That is some serious dedication to steelheading. Those fish look like they put up quite the fight.

Now, what about the headwaters of Salt Cr? Is there a hatchery? A fry planting area? Pics of you catching them further out of town? Obviously I know nothing of your area.

"...and a salmon problem as well."

That gave me a laugh. Ha!

I'll have more videos up as the season goes on. From quite a few different areas. As far as the hatchery and planting, I will get that info and maybe some pics if they're available this week for you. Thanks

#904609 - 08/31/14 10:31 PM Re: hello from a indiana steelhead addict. [Re: Bent Metal]
viper0463 Offline
Alevin

Originally Posted By: Bent Metal

Now, what about the headwaters of Salt Cr? Is there a hatchery? A fry planting area?

Here comes WFC....lol

Welcome,

I've only read about the Great Lakes steelhead fisheries.. Sounds like a lot of fun. Isn't return rates somewhere around 10-15%??

Don't get too excited about WA steelheading...Puget sound is just about shut down for good, other areas are seeing increased pressure and downward trends also. Not a pretty picture. Enjoy what you have over there!

I will get the return rate info this week as well. I have a few questions for the dnr anyways. Thanks

#904610 - 08/31/14 10:33 PM Re: hello from a indiana steelhead addict. [Re: cjjohnston14]
viper0463 Offline
Alevin

Originally Posted By: cjjohnston14
Yea I grew up in NE Indiana Lagrange County my grandpa always said there were steelhead there but I never actually fished for them out there.

I live 8 miles from lake michigan right where the east branch of little Calumet river dumps in.

#904611 - 08/31/14 10:38 PM Re: hello from a indiana steelhead addict. [Re: RogueFanatic]
viper0463 Offline
Alevin

Originally Posted By: RogueFanatic
Many is the steelie I have hooked in Trail Creek, Michigan City pier, and the St. Joe! We fish a little differently out here and the crowds are thinner but much is the same- welcome.

Trail creek turns into a zoo every year. Theres always a few fights mostly because some people just have zero respect for other fisherman. I only fish trail creek early season and very late season. I leave the rest to everyone else. Salt creek, burns ditch and little Calumet have much more areas to fish and it seems like less people.

#904699 - 09/02/14 11:41 AM Re: hello from a indiana steelhead addict. [Re: ]
viper0463 Offline
Alevin

Yeah, welcome.

" I have a severe steelhead addiction and a salmon problem as well."

No jive. That is some serious dedication to steelheading. Those fish look like they put up quite the fight.

Now, what about the headwaters of Salt Cr? Is there a hatchery? A fry planting area? Pics of you catching them further out of town? Obviously I know nothing of your area.

"...and a salmon problem as well."

That gave me a laugh. Ha!

Here are the links to the hatcherys. I hope this is the info you were looking for. http://www.in.gov/dnr/fishwild/5459.htm and http://www.in.gov/dnr/fishwild/5465.htm

#904700 - 09/02/14 11:45 AM Re: hello from a indiana steelhead addict. [Re: Bent Metal]
viper0463 Offline
Alevin

Originally Posted By: Bent Metal

Here comes WFC....lol

Welcome,

I talked to the indiana dnr today and asked them about the return rate. I was told that we don't really have a way to monitor the returns. I was told that, if he were to guess it is 10-20 percent. I don't actually know whaf that means so I couldn't confirm or deny that info. Sorry that I couldn't get a better answer for you.

#904826 - 09/03/14 04:25 PM Re: hello from a indiana steelhead addict. [Re: viper0463]
gooybob Offline
Spawner

Loc: Tacoma
Be careful about how you pump up the streams and lakes back there. Our tribal people think they own all fisheries so they may send some people out there to start gill netting. Then they will claim they were there before they migrated to the West Coast!

#904910 - 09/04/14 03:31 PM Re: hello from a indiana steelhead addict. [Re: gooybob]
viper0463 Offline
Alevin

Originally Posted By: gooybob
Be careful about how you pump up the streams and lakes back there. Our tribal people think they own all fisheries so they may send some people out there to start gill netting. Then they will claim they were there before they migrated to the West Coast!

I don't want to get into this much other than to say this. We don't owe anyone anything anymore. What happened 100 to 300 years ago has nothing to do with the people livng here now. If certain groups of people do not wish to join the population and adhear to the laws and regulations that have been set down then, that is their choice and not a just cause to give them a break in the rules. I was born here and I had no choice as to where I was born. That doesn't entitle me to anything more than to claim the benefits of being a american citizen. I don't care who is offended by this as it is my opinion and as a american that is my right. The whole concept that this group of people owe this group because of what has happened in the past is insane.

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
m_ray, Str8nr
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (20 Gage), 210 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645368 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |