Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#910542 - 10/21/14 11:08 PM Lost the ability to fish
yellowsevenpot Offline
Fry

Hey all,

Long time lurker, infrequent poster.

Since moving to washington 4 years ago, with at least 30 to 40 days of fishing per year, I have caught less than 50 fish total. The majority of that total coming from ice fishing.

In the recent weeks I have fished for kings on the yakima, columbia, and snake. Also made a few runs at steelhead on the snake. I plunked, floated, and drifted. I have spent hours reading, mapping, scouting, rigging, and casting. This is my first season salmon fishing. My grand total being 3 8 inch smallmouth bass. Not to mention two broken rods, dont ask.Fml.

I have the weekend of November 7, 8, and 9th open for fishing. Can someone please point me towards a river I have a chance at catching one, just one steelhead from the bank.

I need all of the help.

#910554 - 10/21/14 11:42 PM Re: Lost the ability to fish [Re: yellowsevenpot]
Bent Metal Offline
Carcass

Loc: Sky River(WA) Clearwater(Id)
Originally Posted By: yellowsevenpot
I have spent hours reading, mapping, scouting, rigging, and casting.

Keep doing as mentioned above. This process takes years... There is no fast track to success. Be patient and don't spend a lot of time in one spot without action, cover ground and take it all in.

Don't follow internet reports and drive around looking for parked vehicles and crowds. The real enjoyment is doing the opposite and having success grin

#910559 - 10/22/14 12:16 AM Re: Lost the ability to fish [Re: Bent Metal]
yellowsevenpot Offline
Fry

I hear ya there. I go fishing to avoid the crowds, not join them. I know I will never be one to stand shoulder to shoulder with 80 plus other anglers... combat fishing I think it's called. This is probably part of my problem, I try and get out there to parts of water where no one else is, just maybe to unproductive water I guess.

The sad thing is I have been fishing for 20 plus yeas and have never done so bad. With the price of gas, miles on my car, and the freakin price of gear these days I am getting to the point of no return. If I can't get into some fish before next summer I just might hang up the rod, focus my time on target shooting or rock climbing.

I love time on the water... With all my trips this summer I could have bought a decent little boat... never had one in Colorado and caught plenty of beautiful fish... just seems that washington is a whole different animal for the bank fisherman.

#910561 - 10/22/14 12:39 AM Re: Lost the ability to fish [Re: yellowsevenpot]
steeliedrew Offline
SRC Poser

Loc: Snohomish
IMHO, spend some time in some terminal hatchery zones during peak run timing. The crowds suck and you will be combat fishing to some extent but you will have placed yourself in a target rich environment. get a few fish under your belt and each time you catch one try and figure out why the fish was holding where it was based on water clarity, temperature, etc and take note of that.

I'd recommend reading Bill Herzog's book called The Color Guide to Drift Fishing. Pay particular attention to the chapter titled Holding Water. That's going to be your bread and butter and is spot on.

Once you have hooked some fish in the hatchery zones then go explore and find solitude. Solitude can actually be found in hatchery areas if you spend some time poking around.

"Dude...where's your boat!?" Team runaway drift boat prostaff.

Big Stick 2012: "EVERY thought of my being, is in regards to being a Hi-Tech Predator and I relish the role."

#910566 - 10/22/14 01:18 AM Re: Lost the ability to fish [Re: steeliedrew]
FleaFlickr02 Offline
River Nutrients

The fact you've been ice fishing tells me you don't live on the west side of the state. If you don't live on the west side of the state, chances are that you live on the east side. If that's the case, this time of year should be great on the Methow, the Clearwater, or the Grande Ronde for late summer steelhead. In fact, this should be prime time. Try drifting some pale beads or casting some gold, copper, or black spinners. When you catch them this time of year, they're not good table fare. If they're hatchery fish, bonk 'em, look around to make sure nobody's watching, then drop them back in the river. They're worth more as stream nutrients than on your table or the spawning beds.

Yes, get yourself a small boat (something very portable). As you now know, bank access is at a premium round here, and it's really hard to get up early enough to be the first guy there.

After that, keep trying. If you get really desperate (or just want to take an awesome trip), call up the owner of this fine site. If he can't get you into something big and awesome, it's a safe bet nobody can. Even in that scenario, hanging it up should be out of the question.

#910583 - 10/22/14 10:35 AM Re: Lost the ability to fish [Re: FleaFlickr02]
wntrrn Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Edmonds
I hate to be the one to bring this up. But, if you're going to spend quite a bit of time fishing each year, hire a guide for the fishery you want to learn most. It'll help with the catching for that day and years to come. It's an expensive endeavor but usually worth it in the long run.

#910586 - 10/22/14 11:23 AM Re: Lost the ability to fish [Re: wntrrn]
Swifty27 Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Tri-Cities, WA
Hey, another Eastsider!

We're coming into primo summer steelhead season (I know, it's winter, but they smoke up fine). Boat fishing them is easier, but here's some bank advice.

Go above Ice Harbor. Fish anywhere on the road on the east side or off the point at Charbonneau. On the west side, fish off the rocks nest to the lock at the dam. Use a bobber and shrimp or bobber and bucktail jig with a shrimp. Start with your bait set 6ft down and play with depth.

Or, go up to Ringold. You can bobber, drift fish, or throw spinners. I like it there first thing in the morning from shore. The fish will be closer before getting spooked off. There's also some boulders just off shore that will hold a fish or two for whoever gets them first. Yarnies work as well as bait up there.

If you're willing to do a guided trip, look up TJ Hester. He did really well last year fishing steelhead in the Reach and McNary.

If you can get yourself into any kind of floating device (boat, canoe, kayak, pontoon), head above McNary. Pick your day and plan accordingly for cold water and cold weather. Set a bobber to 6ft-18ft and slow troll around. You'll catch fish, but the chances of keeping one are very low. For my boat last year, about 1 in twelve got bonked.

#910600 - 10/22/14 12:28 PM Re: Lost the ability to fish [Re: Swifty27]
yellowsevenpot Offline
Fry

Thank you all for the advice. I wish I could swing a guide for a day and will perhaps consider this in the spring, after saving a few bucks this winter.

Swifty, I have a 17ft canoe but have been wary of taking it out anywhere as I dont have much experience in it other than lakes, at McNary i am assuming I wont get washed 20 miles down river eh ?

I had a great time watching others catch kings at Ringold to where just the word leaves me a bad taste in my mouth, lol.

I have not yet been to Ice harbor and will definitely look into this area.

So looking at the fish count totals it appears that the number of Steelhead coming over is really slowing down... Do you think any of these areas will be hotter than others the first week of November. I still am trying to figure out the nature of migration... I am assuming by this time most fish will have made their way into tributaries ?

What do folks think about the Snake or Grande Ronde come November ?

- Sean

#910604 - 10/22/14 12:51 PM Re: Lost the ability to fish [Re: yellowsevenpot]
yellowsevenpot Offline
Fry

I have been reading up on the Methow, Okanagon, similkameen, etc. It looks like beautiful country... Anyone have experience walking the banks up there? I am good to pretty much good to hike / fish a good 12 hours... any access sites individuals would recommend of an all day / weekend full of bank fishing ?

- Sean O.

#910608 - 10/22/14 01:00 PM Re: Lost the ability to fish [Re: yellowsevenpot]
Coho Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Muk
first week of November. I still am trying to figure out the nature of migration... I am assuming by this time most fish will have made their way into tributaries ?

What do folks think about the Snake or Grande Ronde come November ?

Hell ya --once you go there....it is beautiful country

get your game on there..I always go in Dec with sled in tow...and dress for some weather

leave canoe at home--either bank it or for GR you can do a pontoon, float and bait, fly fish it, spinner, spoon

#910613 - 10/22/14 01:29 PM Re: Lost the ability to fish [Re: Coho]
Swifty27 Offline
Returning Adult

Lots of bank access on the Ronde if you're willing to make the drive. Scenery is unbeatable. Hit Boggans for some breakfast and drive up the road to find a spot. There's some WDFW spots to camp too.

By November, the summers have dispersed themselves throughout the CR/Snake basins. They're hanging out and waiting to spawn in the spring. One of their favorite spots is in the forebays of the dams. They'll mill around, so you're kind of sitting and waiting for some to come your way. At this point, you're not fishing for migrating fish. They'll do small migrations as the season changes. For instance, some B runs are hanging in the John Day, but they will decide to leave and move above McNary in the middle of winter. Then they'll head up the Snake in early spring as the weather warms up.

If you canoe McNary, stay on the WA side to start. There's really no current on the WA side. I used to do it in a drift boat. I haven't seen someone in a canoe, but it could be done VERY carefully. Get back to shore ASAP if you feel a breeze out of the east.

As others mentioned, dress accordingly:

#910614 - 10/22/14 01:30 PM Re: Lost the ability to fish [Re: Swifty27]
Swifty27 Offline
Returning Adult

You could also get an OR license and hit the Deschutes for some hiking/biking/fishing. I don't have much experience there, but there's a long trail and a lot of water.

Enjoy the experience first, the fish will happen. The Ronde is a great place to enjoy the experience.

Edited by Swifty27 (10/22/14 01:40 PM)

#910621 - 10/22/14 03:05 PM Re: Lost the ability to fish [Re: Swifty27]
yellowsevenpot Offline
Fry

I am seriously considering the Grande Ronde up there near Highway 129.

I spent four days on the Snake around the Confluence with the GR and am thinking it would be nice to see a different section country there. I am thinking about bringing an arrangement of beads, spinners, and spoons... Utilizing a mix of float, drift, and cast and retrieve....

Now to dive into researching this beast... any ideas about whether fishing is more bank friendly on the GR towards the snake or towards Oregon? Any insight Swifty ?

#910649 - 10/22/14 04:09 PM Re: Lost the ability to fish [Re: yellowsevenpot]
Swifty27 Offline
Returning Adult

hing this beast... any ideas about whether fishing is more bank friendly on the GR towards the snake or towards Oregon? Any insight Swifty ?

I've only drifted around Boggans. This might get you started: http://wdfw.wa.gov/lands/water_access/waterbody/Grande+Ronde/

#910660 - 10/22/14 04:41 PM Re: Lost the ability to fish [Re: Swifty27]
J-D Offline
Fry

If you can't catch a steely from the snake this time of year
You should jus give up steel and jus stick to catfishing

#910715 - 10/22/14 07:22 PM Re: Lost the ability to fish [Re: J-D]
yellowsevenpot Offline
Fry

Lol, actually the only sizable fish I have caught on the snake was a 7 pound cat fish at the confluence with the palouse. Great time as I caught it on 6 pound test, light action pole, and a small crank bait.

#911393 - 10/28/14 01:33 PM Re: Lost the ability to fish [Re: yellowsevenpot]
yellowsevenpot Offline
Fry

Good Morning everyone,

Thank you all very much for the help in getting me into my first Steelhead.

I have been doing more reading about float fishing, drifting and casting.

I recently bought an assortment of beads, and vibrax spinners.

I am thinking about concentrating on yellows, and oranges with a milky appearance, do to it being several week as after the salmon run... with this be a good assumption?

I am thinking this time of year would warrant a black or copper spinners?

#911397 - 10/28/14 02:12 PM Re: Lost the ability to fish [Re: yellowsevenpot]
supcoop Offline
Lady Killer Deluxe

Loc: Kirkland
You're thinking too much about it. Go put gear in the water in the places people have talked about. Pay attention to depth. Catch fish. Repeat.

#911401 - 10/28/14 04:23 PM Re: Lost the ability to fish [Re: yellowsevenpot]
Swifty27 Offline
Returning Adult

Good Morning everyone,

Thank you all very much for the help in getting me into my first Steelhead.

I have been doing more reading about float fishing, drifting and casting.

I recently bought an assortment of beads, and vibrax spinners.

I am thinking about concentrating on yellows, and oranges with a milky appearance, do to it being several week as after the salmon run... with this be a good assumption?

I am thinking this time of year would warrant a black or copper spinners?

All questions will be answered in about 30 minutes on the water. If you're not catching fish, I'm willing to bet someone next to you will be. Bring beer, be nice, and I'll bet you'll learn a lot.

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Chromeo, Colluvium, lat59, m wilson, phishkellar, TBJ
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 681 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645358 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |